Start by marking “Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon” as Want to Read:
Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon

Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Marty Winslow's daughter dies of a devastating genetic disease, she discovers the truth- her child had been switched at birth. Her actual biological daughter was recently orphaned and is being raised by grandparents in a retirement community. Marty is awarded custody, but Andie refuses to fit into the family, adding one more challenge for this grieving single mom that ...more
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon

"Imagine, you wake up one day and someone tells you your parents were given the wrong bundle at the hospital, like the tags were switched on a gift under the Christmas tree, and this stranger claims you. You wouldn't believe it either."

It's not the emotionally engrossing legal-drama I thought it would be. The switched at birth aspect of the story, in regards to the legal process was fairly thin and not altogether believable. But I enjoyed this heartfelt, inspirational novel for all that it is; a
Nov 24, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This one's mine & I loved writing it!
V. Gingerich
There were so many things to like about this book.

The setting: an old drive-in theater with a snack stand

The characters: Believable people who made me care, characters who lived in normal houses and had normal faults and quirks and got me to grrr and laugh and even get a tad teary (That fake Christmas tree!)

The voice: I especially loved Andie's chapters

The writing: Lots of fun figures of speech and lots of symbolism (The wedding rings necklace making an imprint on Andie's chest!)

The actual con
C.J. Darlington
I'm so disappointed this book is over. That's the sign of a keeper to me! I should've read this one years ago. Thomas crafted a compelling switched-at-birth tale that never felt cheezy or cliche. Her characters' emotions were real, heartfelt, and believable. The voices of the mom and the teen girl were captured beautifully. The teen's voice especially was pulled off exceptionally well. Great read!
A child switched at birth and then restored to her birth family is the premise upon which this novel is based. It plays out somewhat predictably: Andie is a pre-teen who is attached to her grandparents and grieving the loss of both of her parents. Her birth family is also grieving--the baby that was switched with her at birth died of a rare genetic illness, which is how the switch was discovered. The story is told from Andie's point of view in some chapters, other chapters are told by Marty, her ...more
This book deals with several emotionally heavy situations, but in a way that doesn't make you feel depressed afterward. The chapters alternate between the mother, Marty's, point of view and the daughter who was switched at birth, Andie's, point of view. This was done very well, and added to my enjoyment of the book. Dealing with a child who has a fatal genetic illness, finding out your baby was switched at birth, divorce and family relationships, blended families, old age and single parenthood, ...more
I can't imagine the devastation of finding out that the child you have raised and loved isn't really yours and your flesh and blood baby is out in the world in someone else's arms. This book deals with that situation, thankfully a very unusual scenario - but not unheard of. This would be one reason that I have had my last 4 babies at home - there is no doubt that they are really mine!

The characters in this book are heart wrenching because, as in all things in life, there are two sides to every s
What a wonderful story! I couldn't put this one down and was rather perturbed it took me so many days to finish it because life kept getting in the way!

Marty's thirteen-year-old daughter Ginger, has died from a genetic disease. After her death, Marty discovers that Ginger wasn't really her biological daughter but was accidentally switched at birth in the hospital where she was born. Marty had raised someone else's daughter and that meant someone else was raising HER daughter! After learning that
Nora St Laurent
“Switched at Birth” impossible but I was watching it unfold right before my very young eyes on TV. “1989” Ernest & Regina Twiggs take Bob Mays to court for the custody of their biological daughter, Kimberly Mays; 10 years old and the only child of Bob Mays. The drama on TV was happening in Sebring Florida where the Mays lived – the Twiggs lived in Philadelphia with their other 7 children.

The Twiggs learned the truth about their daughter Arelena after she dies following complications from hea
This mother's middle daughter dies of a genetic disease, and she discovers that her daughter had been switched at birth in the hospital. She then learns that her biological daughter was recently orphaned and decides to fight for custody........

Good story, while the mother tries to live between the memories of her dead daughter and the "new" one, how the other sisters struggle to adapt to the "new" sister, and how new girl battles in her heart between wanting to be with her previous grandparents
Fabulous voice and an intriguing story, Debbie does first person POV from two characters to make this an intimate story. Marty Winslow's middle daughter of three dies from a rare genetic disease--which leads to discovering that she was accidently switched as a newborn.

Heartbroken over her daughter's death, and finding out that her "real" daughter is being raised by grandparents after her parents died in a fire, Marty fights to win custody of Andie, her biological daughter. Complications occur w
This is a fascinating story of two families whose babies are switched at birth. The single mom whose daughter dies learns of the switch and wins custody of her biological daughter. The story revolves around the devastation caused in both families as seen through the eyes of a 13-year-old girl who is angry, defiant, hurt, lost, lonely, and striking out at the world. As her hope to return to her previous family fades, she learns to heal and love, and both families learn to help each other. This is ...more
Slightly predictable but I loved it nonetheless.
Dawn Naughton
Great feel-good story!Loved it!
(book, novel)
a. A seldom heard about topic - two girls are switched at birth. One dies at a young age from a disease that is hereditary and that’s how the families discover the switch. The surviving girl grew up in an only child household but now her biological mother wants her to live with her and her other two girls. She already lost the one. This family is not well-off and owns a drive-in theater which the family works at in drive-in weather, working the snack bar. – probably 3 STARS

Wonderful story! Didn't want to see it end...a must read!
Michele Coleman
I really enjoyed this story of a mother who after losing a daughter discovers that her child was switched at birth. The story then goes to the other daughter who has lost her parents and now is placed in the home of her birth mother. The story that follows is entangled with the complxities you would expect from a family trying to adjust and a child tryinh to find her way . Very human characters and wonderful down to earth writing.
Two girls are born at the same hospital and are sent home with the wrong family. This only becomes apparent when Ginger dies of a very rare genetic disease. Andie who is healthy is legally bound to go live with her maternal mother. Her parents both died in a hotel fire in Mexico and ailing grandparents are taking care of her. The chapters are from the viewpoint of Marty (biological mother) and Andie. Good characters, good read.
I think this is the last book from last year's ALA swag pile. A nice story about kids who were switched at birth which is only discovered when one is diagnosed at about 12 with a genetic disease that doesn't run the family she has lived with. When one family sues, the other girl is ordered by the courts to move in with her biological family. That's where the book starts. A little preachy, but heartwarming, if you can believe that.
The story of two babies switched at birth. One daughter dies due to a genetic condition that the family doesn;t have. This prompts the mother to find her biological baby. The tale is told from the perspective of the mother and the switched daughter. The charachters go through the emotions of finding each other, the siblings have to deal with a new sister, I enjoyed it.
This book was better than most Christian fiction I've read, and I liked the change of character voice between the mom and daughter. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it, but at times it felt like she was trying to hard to be profound. The writing was decent, but not fantastic. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I wouldn't tell them to avoid it either.
Nov 23, 2008 Elaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of teenagers, mentors of teenagers
Heartfelt book about parenting, teenagers, loss of a child, etc. Christian references were subtle and in keeping with the story, not intrusive. (For us nonChristians, sometimes that can keep us from enjoying a story, but not this one, it added to it). The kids seemed real and so did the plot, as far-fetched as it initially seems.
I could not finish this book, I had to just skip ahead and read a paragraph here, and a paragraph 20 pages later to get the gist of how things turned out. I am guilt ridden to confess this because I am a Christian, but truly, I just don't think Christian fiction is for me. AT ALL.

Well, except for Janette Oak books, those I love.
Also read on a plane, but when the flight was over and the book wasn't I was interested enough to finish the story. Intriguing writing style (there's two narrators). Plot-driven, not character-driven, in a story who's strongest quality is it's characters. Worth a read, but check it out of the library, don't pay full price.
Jul 28, 2008 Laurie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Laurie by: my good friend wrote it
This author is from my hometown here in Auburn and I am totally impressed that she is now "published" It was wild reading a book written by someone you know! Good Stuff. A great story line and real life happenings.
Pamela Ferguson
Simple, easy to read, teenager switched at birth, one passes away and the biological family swoops in to "adopt" their daughter away. Complex theme. Would it really happen that way?
a story a little unbelievable, but found some situations believable. Family has many different definations. YOu just have to know what yours is and this book does that.
Local author writes interesting book about babies switched at birth on Halloween. Sacramento area locations; family dynamics of single mom trying to raise 3 daughters.
Julie Powell
it was okay - not great but not horrible - I've read better and I've read worse.
  • Talking to the Dead
  • The Stones Cry Out (Raleigh Harmon Mystery #1)
  • Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn #1)
  • Jacob's List
  • Why the Sky Is Blue
  • Chasing Lilacs
  • A Stillness of Chimes
  • The Secret Life of Becky Miller (Becky Miller #1)
  • Need You Now
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey
  • A Can of Peas
  • As Waters Gone By
  • Rain Dance
  • In Broken Places
  • The Six-Liter Club
  • Where Rivers Part (Texas Gold, #2)
  • Elvis Takes a Back Seat
  • Love Without End (Kings Meadow Romance, #1)
Debbie Fuller Thomas writes contemporary fiction from a historic Gold Rush town in Northern California. When she’s not working on her next book or planning children’s programs for her community, she enjoys singing with Colla Voce of the Sierras with her husband and spending time catching up with her two adult children. Her debut novel, Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon is a finalist for the 2009 Chri ...more
More about Debbie Fuller Thomas...