Start by marking “The Last Good Day (Blauner, Peter)” as Want to Read:
The Last Good Day (Blauner, Peter)

The Last Good Day (Blauner, Peter)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  263 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Lynn and Barry Schulman moved their family to the leafy suburb of Riverside, New York, to be surrounded by family and old friends and escape the danger of city life. But when a headless body--which turns out to belong to Lynn's oldest friend--floats to the surface of the river, they realize Riverside may not be the sanctuary they were seeking. Instead, it's a town fraught ...more
Published (first published May 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Good Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Good Day

bookyeti
Nov 02, 2008 bookyeti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Forgettable mystery, un-thrilling thriller

The Last Good Day, a tepid less-than-riveting mystery/thriller, is Blauner’s unsuccessful attempt at creating a believable tense backdrop of New York suburban life shortly after September 11, 2001. While some parts of the storyline ‘hold water’, the majority of the novel lays fallow and unfortunately fails to deliver on almost every level imaginable.

The various not-so-subtle references to 9-11 are not apropos to the plot, and as a result, appear to be a
D.R.
Sep 14, 2013 D.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeking the safety of suburbia, Lynn and Barry Schulman fled Manhattan following 911 and moved to Riverside, New York, a slow-paced, soccer mom community where Lynn had attended high school and several of her long-time friends still resided. All seemed to be going well until the headless body of a woman surfaced on the river beside the train station, terrifying local commuters and sending the small town into turmoil.

The body turned out to be Lynn’s best friend, and the small-town detective assi
Stephanie
Total one-night stand but like his style enough to look at others he has written. Surprised to see pub date as it was on the new books shelf at my local library...trite and crappy ending and cliche characters but language use was occasionally awesome and he captured the creepy-stalker-ex -boyfriend -now-deranged-cop vibe perfectly.
Cheryl
Jun 18, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story but the characters seem a little off.

When a headless corpse is discovered floating in the waters, commuters soon discover she's a local who grew up with nearly everyone involved in the police investigation.

Like a cop who lives too much in his past and a best friend who doesn't realize harassment charges against the cop will bring out her own dirty laundry. Even the police chief knows her. Then there's his problem of suspecting the cop (who was passed over for the chief's job
Craig Faustus Buck
I stumbled onto Peter Blauner through one of his TV episodes and I'm glad I did. A terrific writer, and this book is an outstanding example, though not quite as riveting his his Edgar-winning debut Slow Motion Riot. The characters are rich and deep, the story is full of surprises, and the pace driven.
Cheryl
Jun 18, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebekkila
Most of the thrillers I read are told from the prospective of the police of PI that is investigating the case. This story is told by all the friends and family of the victim. I liked the characters I felt like they were pretty well drawn and I understood where they were coming from most of the time. The problem that I had with the story was that it seemed like the author didn't know where he was going with the story toward the end and made someone the killer and ended it. I did read this pretty ...more
Cathi Davis
Jun 28, 2012 Cathi Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trite and stereotyped. Women are all portrayed as vicious status seekers who rip the souls out of men. The whodunnit is not obvious, until it is, but the author gives you nothing to surmise the murderer, and the ending is a "where did that come from" shoot em up and let the bodies fall where they may. Sigh. For a good summer read, with a believable plot and interesting (and believable) character, where the ending doesn't feel like a movie blocking shot--I am still waiting.
Perhaps it is time to g
Sue

This book took me awhile to really get
Into it, but when I did-I really enjoyed it. I was drawn into each characters life and could relate to where the story took place as I lived in Northern NJ for 10 yrs. I was surprised at the way it ended but thought it was very appropriate in the way the author played it out. Will read more books by this author as I like his style.
Peggy Walker
No one else has reviewed this book? Maybe it's a bit too old. This is a very good murder mystery. The author has a very good writing style. His main character does most of the leaping to conclusions to make the reader follow her thoughts, so it's not bad a misdirection. Good airplane book, but probably mainly for female readers.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Exciting ending. I was afraid the author was taking me on a wild goose chase, but not so. The plot strings were tied together at the end, The beginning and middle had backstory and generalized action that didn’t excite or move the story along. I was satisfied at the end.
Andy Plonka
Aug 20, 2014 Andy Plonka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
A lot happens in the final third of the book which preludes being able to solve the murder before the main protagonist. There is also an ample measure of gratuitous violence at the end, which, though understandable, really ruined the impact of the story.
Jason Jensen
I decided to give this book 100 pages. If it didn't grab my attention by then, it was a waste of time. Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but a good book is good right from the start and you should have to try hard to like it. I dropped it.
Scotchneat
Oct 25, 2009 Scotchneat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's meant to be a thriller, but it's more like a bit of sensationalist authoring.

Plot goes over-the-top with the evil guy being evil, and the straight arrow being straight and all sacrifice-y.

Pass on this one.
Kaye
Jun 04, 2012 Kaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book although I found it very grim. A headless corpse is found floating in the local river and the darkness continues from there. In my opinion the book would have benefited from a bit of lightness here and there.
Jul 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Peter's writing - from topical issues (NYC after 9/11) to texture of daily life (he understands women as well as men) to his ability to nail the genre (police procedural). Bravo to an old friend!
Joy
Jul 21, 2012 Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not a "feel good" book. A lot of bad things happened at the end of the book. I should have stopped reading at the beginning with the discovery of a headless female corpse.
Michelle
Jul 30, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written mystery set in small town, post-9/11, upstate New York. It is not your basic mystery story as it has many levels and subtle commentary on current American life.
Geraldine
Dec 24, 2015 Geraldine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started off a bit slow but really picked up speed! Pretty violent but I really enjoyed it.
Diane McCarrick
Apr 02, 2013 Diane McCarrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it and am now engaged in reading everything by this author.
Which I ike to do until I really get tired of him/her.
Eric
Jan 31, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another well written book by Mr. Blauner. The first chapter is where your attention is held. I recommend.
Amanda
Jul 13, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book drags you in from the very beginning. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Krishnan Anantha
Jul 23, 2007 Krishnan Anantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently reading this book and I'm half way through it.

What a cracking read.

Sharon Clarke
Apr 13, 2009 Sharon Clarke is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Another required read for a library program. Too soon to critique.
Eyebelev
Mar 20, 2011 Eyebelev rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of those books I just couldn't get in to.
James G. Riley
James G. Riley rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Stacey
Stacey added it
Apr 19, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
  • Waiting
  • Furnace
  • Joe Hill
  • Survivor
Peter Blauner (b. 1959) has spent nearly his entire life in New York City. After graduating from Wesleyan University he took a staff job at New York magazine, where he found the inspiration for his first book, the Edgar award–winning Slow Motion Riot, in the men and women who work in the city's probation department. Since then, he has written five more novels: Casino Moon, the New York Times bests ...more
More about Peter Blauner...