The Last Good Day (Blauner, Peter)

The Last Good Day (Blauner, Peter)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Lynn and Barry Schulman moved their family to the leafy suburb of Riverside, New York, to be surrounded by family and old friends and escape the danger of city life. But when a headless body--which turns out to belong to Lynn's oldest friend--floats to the surface of the river, they realize Riverside may not be the sanctuary they were seeking. Instead, it's a town fraught...more
Published (first published May 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Good Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Good Day

bookyeti
Forgettable mystery, un-thrilling thriller

The Last Good Day, a tepid less-than-riveting mystery/thriller, is Blauner’s unsuccessful attempt at creating a believable tense backdrop of New York suburban life shortly after September 11, 2001. While some parts of the storyline ‘hold water’, the majority of the novel lays fallow and unfortunately fails to deliver on almost every level imaginable.

The various not-so-subtle references to 9-11 are not apropos to the plot, and as a result, appear to be a...more
D.R.
Seeking the safety of suburbia, Lynn and Barry Schulman fled Manhattan following 911 and moved to Riverside, New York, a slow-paced, soccer mom community where Lynn had attended high school and several of her long-time friends still resided. All seemed to be going well until the headless body of a woman surfaced on the river beside the train station, terrifying local commuters and sending the small town into turmoil.

The body turned out to be Lynn’s best friend, and the small-town detective assi...more
Cheryl
An interesting story but the characters seem a little off.

When a headless corpse is discovered floating in the waters, commuters soon discover she's a local who grew up with nearly everyone involved in the police investigation.

Like a cop who lives too much in his past and a best friend who doesn't realize harassment charges against the cop will bring out her own dirty laundry. Even the police chief knows her. Then there's his problem of suspecting the cop (who was passed over for the chief's job...more
Cheryl
Rebekkila
Most of the thrillers I read are told from the prospective of the police of PI that is investigating the case. This story is told by all the friends and family of the victim. I liked the characters I felt like they were pretty well drawn and I understood where they were coming from most of the time. The problem that I had with the story was that it seemed like the author didn't know where he was going with the story toward the end and made someone the killer and ended it. I did read this pretty...more
Cathi Davis
Trite and stereotyped. Women are all portrayed as vicious status seekers who rip the souls out of men. The whodunnit is not obvious, until it is, but the author gives you nothing to surmise the murderer, and the ending is a "where did that come from" shoot em up and let the bodies fall where they may. Sigh. For a good summer read, with a believable plot and interesting (and believable) character, where the ending doesn't feel like a movie blocking shot--I am still waiting.
Perhaps it is time to g...more
Sue

This book took me awhile to really get
Into it, but when I did-I really enjoyed it. I was drawn into each characters life and could relate to where the story took place as I lived in Northern NJ for 10 yrs. I was surprised at the way it ended but thought it was very appropriate in the way the author played it out. Will read more books by this author as I like his style.
Peggy Walker
No one else has reviewed this book? Maybe it's a bit too old. This is a very good murder mystery. The author has a very good writing style. His main character does most of the leaping to conclusions to make the reader follow her thoughts, so it's not bad a misdirection. Good airplane book, but probably mainly for female readers.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Exciting ending. I was afraid the author was taking me on a wild goose chase, but not so. The plot strings were tied together at the end, The beginning and middle had backstory and generalized action that didn’t excite or move the story along. I was satisfied at the end.
Andy Plonka
A lot happens in the final third of the book which preludes being able to solve the murder before the main protagonist. There is also an ample measure of gratuitous violence at the end, which, though understandable, really ruined the impact of the story.
Jason Jensen
I decided to give this book 100 pages. If it didn't grab my attention by then, it was a waste of time. Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but a good book is good right from the start and you should have to try hard to like it. I dropped it.
Scotchneat
I think it's meant to be a thriller, but it's more like a bit of sensationalist authoring.

Plot goes over-the-top with the evil guy being evil, and the straight arrow being straight and all sacrifice-y.

Pass on this one.
Kaye
A well written book although I found it very grim. A headless corpse is found floating in the local river and the darkness continues from there. In my opinion the book would have benefited from a bit of lightness here and there.
Love Peter's writing - from topical issues (NYC after 9/11) to texture of daily life (he understands women as well as men) to his ability to nail the genre (police procedural). Bravo to an old friend!
Joy
Definitely not a "feel good" book. A lot of bad things happened at the end of the book. I should have stopped reading at the beginning with the discovery of a headless female corpse.
Michelle
A well-written mystery set in small town, post-9/11, upstate New York. It is not your basic mystery story as it has many levels and subtle commentary on current American life.
Diane McCarrick
Loved it and am now engaged in reading everything by this author.
Which I ike to do until I really get tired of him/her.
Eric
Another well written book by Mr. Blauner. The first chapter is where your attention is held. I recommend.
Amanda
This book drags you in from the very beginning. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Krishnan Anantha
I'm currently reading this book and I'm half way through it.

What a cracking read.

Sharon Clarke
Apr 13, 2009 Sharon Clarke is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Another required read for a library program. Too soon to critique.
Eyebelev
One of those books I just couldn't get in to.
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
sill
sill marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • The Tower
  • No Way Out
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • Waiting
  • Camelot's Cousin: An Espionage Thriller (Spies and Intrigue/Kennedy Assassination)
  • Big If
  • Why Sinatra Matters
  • The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)
  • House of Evidence
Peter Blauner (b. 1959) has spent nearly his entire life in New York City. After graduating from Wesleyan University he took a staff job at New York magazine, where he found the inspiration for his first book, the Edgar award–winning Slow Motion Riot, in the men and women who work in the city's probation department. Since then, he has written five more novels: Casino Moon, the New York Times bests...more
More about Peter Blauner...
The Intruder Slipping Into Darkness Man of the Hour Slow Motion Riot Casino Moon (Hard Case Crime #55)