Start by marking “Mittens (I Can Read! My First Shared Reading)” as Want to Read:
Mittens (I Can Read! My First Shared Reading)

Mittens (My First I Can Read)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Mittens is a small, shy kitten in a big, new house. Will he find a place just for him?
Published 2007 by HarperCollins (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mittens

Luis Reynoso
Mittens is a children’s book about a boy who buys a kitten and names it mittens. Throughout the book the kitten is looking for a small place for it to hide. The kitten is very picky. Places are too loud, dark, or just scary. Mittens cries out feeling afraid and out of place. This is where the owner comes and comforts the kitten and Mittens seems to be content from this and curls up and cuddles with it’s new owner.
The text in the book is very big and easy to read. I could tell that this was a b
Megan McKenny
Personal Reaction: This is a cute book for beginning readers. The story is cute and simple. Children will likely enjoy this book as they too will find the story and the kitten cute. Children will also thrive on their success as they will be able to read this book on their own.

Purpose: As a beginning reader book, this would be used as an independent read. Late kindergarteners and early first graders would likely be able to read this book on their own. The characters (mittens the kitten and Nick)
This is an easy-to-read book. My preschool children like to follow along when I read. I have several copies of it, so when we are in a small group each child can point to the words as I read. They like having their own book to "read."
A.C. Bauch
Really liked this book, not only because I once had a cat named Mittens. I love the way the book informs children of what it can be like to get a new kitten, by relating one boy's story with his kitten, Mittens. Our kitty was very similar when we brought her home, and I think this book is a great choice for parents to read to children before bringing home a new kitty (or any pet really).
Wooden Horse
I took this book to read to my 3 year old cousin at his request. We saw it advertised in the back of another book that we read last week. I liked that it had fairly detailed illustrations. My cousin immediately spotted the electrical outlet and was on the look out for a heating vent as those are two things that fascinate him. (He does know that they are dangerous and he mustn't ever touch them.) As far as the story goes he only started to pay attention after it was mentioned that "Mittens was sc ...more
Gina
Oct 28, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this would be cute anyway, but having recently adopted a young tabby who found a hiding place right away and still zooms around the house, it's accurate. I think this would be very fun for kids with new kittens.
Ashlyn Barker
Nice little story for emerging readers about a child who has a new kitten. I would not use this as a read aloud, but it would be useful for independent reading time for K-1st grade.
Edward Creter
Mittens is a cute kitty cat in need of a home--and a friend. Wonderfully illustrated and a balm for those in need of a cute story.
Tayler K
Jun 22, 2014 Tayler K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, childrens
We got this for my cousin but of course I had to read it. It is super-duper adorable! (And I am partial to gray striped kitties!)
Nick Shaffer
A really cute book. Pretty easy read for younger grades. Great for children to understand who have pets.
Kay Heilman
Sep 01, 2014 Kay Heilman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first graders enjoy this series and are waiting for more.
bernadette
Dec 26, 2014 bernadette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice first reader. Simple and cute.
Jessica Vu
This is a story for the developing, beginning reader. Read story and have students figure out the "who" and the "what" of the story.

Predicting - Where will the kitten hid next? Will the kitten stay there or find a new place to hid? Why?

Sequencing- basic sequencing for the major events of the story

First day of school book - may help students with the anxiety of a new big school/classroom.
Self-to-text connection

Write about where you hid when you're scared/what you do to feel better.

Heather B.
This story is pretty close to what it is like bring home a new kitten. At first the kitten is scared and running around it's new home because it is scared and wants to find a safe hiding place; which is actually happens sometimes. But, evenually the kitten calms down and becomes comfortable with it's new surroundings. Once again it is a cute book and fairly accurate on kittens' behavior. I would recommend for early readers K to 2nd grade. Published 2007.
Amanda Kolar
Schaefer (2006) tells a story about a boy named Nick who gets a new kitten named Mittens. Mittens is scared and try to find a hiding place in his new home. Mitten does under Nick’s bed. Nick finally finds Mittens and tells him everything is ok and that he will be his friend. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my students how to be nice to new animals when they get one. Animals have feelings just like us humans.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about a boy who named Nick who got a cat named Mitten. Mitten was in a new and big place. He wanted a small place where he could call his own. He went behind the television but it was too loud, under the sofa it was too dark, under the bed was just right. Mitten found his home and Nick was happy that he found a place that was comfortable for him. Nick told him that everything will be okay.
Ashley Correll
Feb 07, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a little kitten named Mittens. Nick brought a new kitten, Mittens home and Mittens is scared because its a new place and everything is soo big. So, Mittens runs from room to room trying to find a safe place. In the end, Mittens realizes that Nick will take care of him and keep him safe so there is nothing to worry about. Great book for beginning readers!
Yates Marie
This book is about a cat that has just come to a new home. The kitten is scared and tries to find a hiding place for just him. Once he finds a hiding place he is still scared. Then he returns to his new owner/friend and becomes comfortable to with. This would be a good book for new students to help tell them that things will be alright.
Christy
Feb 01, 2010 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-read
A great easy read for young students. This book is about a kitten that is frightened and can't find a place to feel safe. His new owner offers him a safe place...in his arms.
Shelly Koressel
Kitten is in a new home and he is scared. He has to learn how to deal with his insecurities. Cute book, preschool and kindergarten would love it. First readers level.
Mary
Sep 19, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, easy-reader
The first book my daughter really "learned" to read with. Mittens is an adorable little cat who wants to find his own space in a new house.
Dianna
Apr 08, 2011 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My four-year-old son loves this book. There is no more important requirement than that for an early reader. The pictures are nice.
Hannah Sheffield
This book would be good for reading with emergent readers. They would be able to read most of the words.
Cindy Foley
Jan 02, 2012 Cindy Foley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emmett
I liked when Mittens hid under the bed and was scared of all of the noises
Alex
Jun 04, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like when Mittens runs behind the T.V.. It is to loud.
Jayna
Feb 05, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A.R. 1.2
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Christina Jue
Christina Jue rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Karen Lamb
Karen Lamb rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • Footprints in the Snow (Hello Reader!, Level 1)
  • The Fall Festival
  • Splat the Cat: Good Night, Sleep Tight
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • I Like Bugs
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Buzz Said the Bee

My First I Can Read (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Little Critter: Just a Teacher's Pet
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Biscuit Goes Camping (My First I Can Read!)
  • Pete the Cat: Three Groovy Books Collection: Pete's Big Lunch, Pete at the Beach, A Pet for Pete (My First I Can Read)
  • Digger the Dinosaur 4-Book Collection: Digger the Dinosaur, The Cake Mistake, The Play Day, The Wrong Song (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Huff and Puff Have Too Much Stuff!
  • Pete the Cat's Super Cool Reading Collection (My First I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete