Start by marking “The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)

The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite Comics #1)

Arthur Conan Doyle's classic detective Sherlock Holmes returns in an all-new adventure! Holmes himself is the prime suspect in a murder mystery, and while he fights to save his very life, Watson must assemble the pieces of the puzzle in his stead. Will Watson's efforts save his friend or condemn him? Written by Leah Moore and John Reppion with reverence and a modern edge, ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Trial of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trial of Sherlock Holmes

Joanna
Jun 14, 2010 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Very good! Watson isn't hot though. Oh well. Hmm. I've just realized that I judge most Sherlock Holmes pastiches by how much I want to bonk the watson. I think this is a very good method.
Don
Jan 28, 2011 Don rated it did not like it
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y el personaje
Recommended to Feather by: Autores y que estaba a mano
La premisa es bastante buena: Sherlock Holmes es acusado de asesinato. El guion, cómo se plantea el crimen y cómo se va resolviendo, también. El dibujo no me pareció particularmente atractivo pero tampoco es feo. Pero sin embargo no me encontré frente a una gran obra ni nada parecido. Quizás en parte por la pedorra edición en castellano de Panini. Quizás porque dibujo e historia no se llegan a complementar sino que se meten bastantes trabas entre sí. Quizás porque sigo sin saber si el tomo que l ...more
matt
Jun 21, 2010 matt rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I cannot recall another instance when a comic book has suffered more from the colorist. The coloring on this title is so dreadful that it becomes distracting. Highlights are added that simply do not match the pen and ink style of the artist. This is really unfortunate because when looking at black and white images from the artist in the back of the book, one realizes how much better this book could have looked without the cheesy airbrush effects.
It's a shame also because the story is very good.
Calvin Daniels
May 14, 2017 Calvin Daniels rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
Thoroughly enjoyable story.
The Cannibal
Si le canon holmésien est « petit » (4 romans, 56 nouvelles), sa déclinaison en oeuvres apocryphes est légion.

Bien entendu, les films de Ritchie et la série de Moffat-Gatiss a réveillé les scénaristes qui se sont empressés de nous produire du Holmes à toutes les sauces, tous les genres.

Pour parler de leur qualité, il me faudrait l'aide de de Funès… Mais si, souvenez-vous, dans « La grande vadrouille », quand Stanislas Lefort, chef d'orchestre à l'Opéra de Paris, a terminé la répétition et qu'il
Rose
Apr 17, 2012 Rose rated it liked it
In addition to loving both Sherlock Holmes and comic books, I'm also a major fan of, "Main Character Is Accused Of A Crime And Is Promptly Put On Trial" plotlines. So when I saw this graphic novel at my LCS, it appeared to be one of those things that were written specifically for me.

The mystery set-up is intriguing enough: Holmes is found inside a locked room, a smoking pistol in his hand, standing over the body of a man who has just been shot in the stomach. Even Lestrade can't talk Holmes's wa
Chris
Dec 03, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Not a bad comic book series. It wasn't spectacular but it was enough that I enjoyed the light reading and getting back into comics. This story is interesting, but it seems like it should have been longer. There is a big build up in the first four issues and then everything is wrapped up suddenly in one narrative from Holmes. Now we expect Holmes to solve the mystery quickly and effortlessly, but this just felt very rushed and almost like the series got cancelled and they needed an ending.

I must
Bryson Kopf
Any reader of Sherlock Holmes pastiches knows getting the right mix of tone and plot is a tricky thing indeed for the great detective. I think Moore and Reppion nail the tone (and the character's voices), but don't quite ace the plot. The beginning of the tale works perfectly, with an indelible set up of both a locked room mystery and Holmes himself being the chief suspect. The finale of the tale works well too (the solution to the crime is very nifty indeed), but the middle part of the tale fee ...more
Cale
Feb 22, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
Well, it does seem like a Sherlock Holmes story, but at the same time, it doesn't. The mystery portion, with Holmes holding a gun on a dead man in a locked room, fits perfectly. But the surrounding story, steeped in politics and publicity, doesn't seem nearly as strong. Though the trial itself works well as the climax, and Holmes' explanation of the facts of the case comes out well in the format. The art (especially the lettering) seems muddy, although that may be a factor of the ebook version I ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Well, I was kind of expecting Sherlock to not play as big a part in proving his innocence and getting out of jail! I think I was looking for something a little less of Sherlock using the people around him from jail to help him succeed in getting himself out and a little more of everyone around Sherlock working together to garner him a not guilty verdict with their own detective work! It was the dynamic of Sherlock being reliant on everyone else rather than vice versa that was so alluring when I ...more
Simon
Aug 02, 2014 Simon rated it did not like it
The problem with many Sherlock stories is that they need to have very good mysteries behind them, which are all solved to satisfaction at the end.

But this was terribly incomplete. There were story elements that appeared from nowhere, only be be dropped. What was with the visiting dignitary? Why did he run off to the trial only to give up? How did the assassins know he's run to the trial for no reason, and be set up in a sniper position on the roof? How did Lestrade (or was it Watson? Hard to tel
Lizabeth Tucker
My earlier review suddenly disappeared, so I shall try this again.

The story is good enough, I suppose. We see actions taken by various individuals that all seem to be leading to Sherlock Holmes being put on trial for murder.

I found the artwork dirty and wasn't able sometimes to determine which character was being portrayed on my page without checking the previous panels and the conversational bubbles. That seems to be standard with Dynamite. I prefer a cleaner line.

There are some pluses, includ
SharlzG
Oct 04, 2014 SharlzG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the books as well as of comics I'm enjoying reading these. The writing style still manages to keep the intrigue of the books even in this panelled comic book format. The artwork can sometimes seem dark & somewhat grungy but I think that this serves well to reflect the seedier side of London in Sherlockian times. The ending was a little rushed in the last couple of pages & probably could have done with an additional page, but even so I did enjoy this & plan to continue rea ...more
Jesse
Aug 22, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it
Amazing pastiche from Leah Moore and John Reppion. This is Holmes done right, and that's saying something. Classic mystery leading to international intrigue. I doff my suitably serious Victorian style cap to them both.

Now add to this excellent writing the amazing art of Aaron Campbell. Very detailed, it conveys to us the heights as well as the depths of 1895 London.

Check this out if you are fan of mysteries and/or Sherlock Holmes. Also if you like Batman, you must check this out cause with out S
Demian Katz
Oct 21, 2014 Demian Katz rated it liked it
This was a readable and reasonably well-constructed Holmes tale, though I can't say that I loved it. The art style didn't particularly grab me (perhaps it's the color -- this might have worked better in B&W), and some of the inside references were a bit heavy-handed (like the intersection of Doyle and Challenger featured early in the story). Still, it's something of an accomplishment to construct a Holmes pastiche without embarrassing yourself, and the authors have certainly managed that, an ...more
Laurel
Dec 30, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it
The Trial of Sherlock Holmes captures the feel of the original Sherlock Holmes stories by Doyle. A classic locked room mystery involving Holmes himself mixed with a plot of international intrigue make for a tricky puzzle for the reader. Although the ending seems a bit rushed, the reveal of how big the stakes of this case really were was interesting. My biggest complaint about the art was not always being able to tell who was who in many scenes since the men dress very similar to one another. Ove ...more
Justin Rees
Jan 29, 2011 Justin Rees rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am not usually much of a graphic novel, save the few excellent ones or the ones from my past, but this was refreshing. It was like an ersatz Conan Doyle Holmes story, and not quite as inventive as the originals. It was interesting to have constant visual material along with the story, unlike the few illustrations seen throughout the originals if you're lucky. They also did a good job of capturing the Holmes/Watson relationship dynamic and stayed true to the original. All in all a good graphic ...more
Arthur Cravan
Jun 14, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Possibly a bit below a four, but 3 feels too low. I really wish GR went to 10. & that they had half-stars. Giving me 20 points of harsh, calculated judgement.
I found this a fair bit more enjoyable than Year One, though Watson's plumped up & Holmes has got that eagle-faced look I saw on some TV version once. That's fine. That's probably realistic. Robert Downey's just got me picturing Holmes younger than he is, most of the time.
Whatever. Well worth a read!
Andrew Huey
Aug 23, 2015 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
This was surprisingly good. Quite wordy & dense. True to the original, I think, or at least truer than most recent pop-culture takes on Holmes. Very nice artwork with lots of period detail. Holmes himself is missing from the story for quite a while, so that may bother some readers. (There's an explanation as to why they did that, in the author's notes at the end.) I'd definitely like to read more Holmes by this team.
Ian Williamson
Jan 30, 2015 Ian Williamson rated it liked it
It's a very good start to dynamites take on Sherlock Holmes. There are plenty of extras to enjoy too. The artwork in General is good and adds to the tension in the story. The writers certainly have a grasp of our beloved characters and concocted a decent Sherlock story. However it's only drawback is the lack of Holmes in the story. The extras explain why this is, but you do miss his presence as a Holmes fan.
Craig
Jun 21, 2012 Craig rated it it was ok
Story was very strangely-told. Kind of herky-jerky. As another post has mentioned, it almost seems at times like there are pages missing. There's no real resolution or explanation at the end for just what the heck was going on. Still, the period atmosphere was well-captured. The artwork is decent. And the story has the ring of a missing Sherlock Holmes adventure. I just wish the script was up to the same level as the rest of the enterprise.
Robert
Dec 27, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Pretty much anything with Holmes' name attached is going to appeal to me in some form or another and this was no exception. Bit of a plot hole toward the end, but this can be overlooked by the stunning artwork and way the story remained true to the characters. Overall good effort.
Trae Stratton
Jan 27, 2016 Trae Stratton rated it really liked it
Solid Basil Rathbone-esque mystery that should please most every fan. By design the plot shares the spotlight with Watson and Lestrade, giving them their due as competent investigators, which serves the story well but left me wanting more scenes with Holmes.
Kristina
Apr 09, 2015 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't just a reinterpretation of a familiar story. The writers have created a new tale that is both original and faithful to the spirit of the canonical adventures. The artwork is very good too, conveying the drama of the plot. I hope to read vol. 2 very soon.
Victoria
Different & occasionally hard to follow thought pattern.
Mitchell Ross
Jan 13, 2016 Mitchell Ross rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this read.
Lauren Reiff
Oct 13, 2013 Lauren Reiff rated it liked it
Doesn't translate to comic format very well.
Russell Berg
Sep 06, 2015 Russell Berg rated it liked it
Pretty good graphic representation of an original Sherlock Holmes tale. Captured the grit and grime of 19th century London but fell a little short with the ending.
Elyse
May 16, 2014 Elyse rated it really liked it
I wasn't a super fan of the illustration style, but the plot of Holmes being framed for murder was fantastic.
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Kissing Sherlock Holmes
  • The Man from Hell (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Paperback))
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • My Dearest Holmes
LEAH MOORE is an author, columnist, and digital comics evangelist, born in Northampton, England in 1978.

Leah's comic writing career began in 2002 with stories for America's Best Comics. Most recently her solo comics scripting has appeared as part of Dynamite Entertainment's Gail Simone masterminded crossover series Swords of Sorrow (2015, with Francesco Manna).

In 2006 Leah wrote the story and cop
More about Leah Moore...

Sherlock Holmes Dynamite Comics (2 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon