Start by marking “Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story” as Want to Read:
Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story

Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Cinderella moves into the era of flapper girls and the Charleston in a new edition of this famous tale of rags to riches. Too blind to see what he is doing, Cinderella's father marries unwisely and brings home a heartless wife.
Unknown Binding, 33 pages
Published April 17th 2003 by Not Avail (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

595AJ__Margaret
Cinderella, An Art Deco Love Story, by Lynn Roberts is a retelling of the Cinderella story in the 1920-30 Art Deco time period. In this version of the fairytale, Cinderella’s father is a “quite forgetful and could not see anything at all without his glasses.” As a result, he returns home two weeks late from a business trip with a woman whose “beauty was such that it could only be recognized by a few (particularly those who had lost their glasses).” This is a cleverly written and illustrated stor ...more
L-Crystal Wlodek
This retelling of the classic story of Cinderella is quite unique and is set in the Art Deco time period of the 1930’s. The unique changes in this retelling and the attention to detail throughout the story including hearing about the ball on the radio, riding to the ball in a fashionable car, and mention of Clarice Cliff coffee cups, and paintings by Augustus John and Tamara de Lempicka make this retelling very interesting, accurate, and fun.

This retelling of the classic Cinderella story may be
(NS) Panagiota Angelos
In the book, Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story, Greta lives at home with her father, who after a two week trip comes back with a new wife and two daughters. Her new wicked stepmother takes Greta’s belongings and kicks her out of her bedroom and forces her to sleep in the kitchen. She eventually is nicknamed Cinderella because she is always covered with cinders and dust. While cleaning the house, Greta hears an announcement for a royal ball on the radio. Her two stepsisters make sure Cinderella ...more
Dawn Draper
This retelling of Cinderella is absolutely fabulous. The story is set during the Art Deco period in the USA and pays close attention to the detail of the time period. The dust jacket points out that the illustrator included Clarice Cliff coffee cups, paintings by Augustus John and Tamara de Lempicka and instead of a carriage she rides off to the ball in a white Rolls Royce!
The story begins with Greta enjoying life with her eccentric father who can't see without his glasses. When he goes in town
Dolly
Jun 03, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, dance, pets
We recently read Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale by the sister/brother team of Lynn Roberts and David Roberts. It was an interesting, modern take on a classic fairy tale. When I wrote the review for that book, I discovered that this author/illustrator pair wrote more books like this. We definitely wanted to check them out as well.

This book was a fun take on the Cinderella story, set in the 1930s. I liked the story and I loved the illustrations, but I didn't have the same kind of nostalgic reaction
Judy
David Roberts. Always a treat. Love that he wrote in the back about his approach and what influenced his take on Cinderella. Wish all illustrators and authors would do this in picture books. The expressiveness of the characters' faces and bodies in this is exceptional. The treatment of the garments and fabrics astounding. Worth a look.
Tasia
This was so much fun! I read it to one girl, and immediately had an audience swarmed around me. The art is fun, and definitely gets kids thinking about what different time periods might have looked like. The wee ones really liked this!
Jess
Nov 17, 2008 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, kids with style, Art Deco Fans, People who like details
A slight twist on Cinderella set in the 1930s with Greta and Roderick, Elvira and Ermintrude.

Fantastic illustrations! The story is good, fun (glow worms!) but the shine comes from David Robert whose pen illustrations prove he delights in details. "Flapper fashions and a posh, Gatsby-esque mansion...[where] Cinderella sports a blond bob and has kohl-rimmed eyes."*

Great fun. Perhaps it'll find more fans in adults than kids, although the draw is there. This is a book meant to be read one-on-one no
Stephanie Folarin
Will be added to the Future Folarin Progeny Library.
-It's beautifully illustrated.
Terri
Nice twist on the Cinderella story. Illustrations make the book.
Ketti
Jul 21, 2015 Ketti marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
wait, wait. SHE'S WEARING A FLAPPER DRESS. YAASS
Nancy
Cute - the illustrations are great.
Lisa
Wanted to love, but I didn't.

Fairlita
Bought this book together with Bound (Donna Jo Napoli) and Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story (Carolyn Turgeon) for comparison purpose. They are all versions/variants/adaptations of the Cinderella story.

The stars are for the wonderful, well-researched, fashionable illustration. The story itself, of course, is the classic rags-to-riches fairy tale every child knows and most grown-up dream about. ;-)

Ruth
Jun 02, 2008 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults alike
An "art deco" style picture book version of a classic fairytale! This one has a long sleek roadster instead of a golden coach, and Cinderella and her sisters wear sassy Flapper outfits instead of the typical finery seen in most other versions of this tale. The artwork is very good indeed, and supremely humorous. A fun re-telling of the story everyone knows.
Kara

I LOVE this version! The retelling - set in the flapper era - is brillant and the illustrations are hilarious. Love it!

Also, this version has the classic set of evil step sister and silly step sister - and the look on teh sily step sister's face when the royal ball invite comes never fails to Crack. Me. Up.
Kim
I love the 1930s, so the Art Deco styling of this retelling was a lot of fun to explore. Add sprightly storytelling and illustrations with plenty of clever detail, and I have to say Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story is one of the best versions of Cinderella I've read.
Lisa Rathbun
Really fun Cinderella, with great details (the brussels sprout that turns into a limo, the radio that announces the ball, the shingled hair styles). One sister is a wicked vamp, the other a vapid flapper, and the old, old tale comes alive in a new way.
Egzona
I am in love with the 1920's and I loved Cinderella as a child and therefore have a soft spot for the story in no matter what version it is in! And when you put so much awesomeness together the result has got to be good - and it was!
Heather
I'm a big fan of the illustrations! These 1920s and 1930s-inspired drawings are very unique, interesting, and fun. I'm not a big fan of the retelling in this case, though, since it is too cliche to be anything special.
Miriam
The retelling wasn't anything special, and the illustrations aren't in a style I care for, but I did very much appreciate all the period detail.
Kim
Cinderella, Roaring Twenties style. Typical retelling, wonderful illustrations.

themes: abuse, Cinderella, fairytale, step-family
Emily
This is worth picking up from the library if only because of how they put together Cinderella's ride to the ball. Fun illustrations!
Becky
Jun 18, 2011 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic illustrations. What a charming period twist to the fairy tale. I loved it.
Dee
Great illustrations. Very Tim Burtonesque.
Lisa
The art is amazing and she loves the retelling.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
  • The Way Meat Loves Salt: A Cinderella Tale from the Jewish Tradition
  • Interstellar Cinderella
  • Cinderella
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale Disney/ Pixar Toy Story 2 A Simple Choice A Persevering Love