Start by marking “The Love Talker” as Want to Read:
The Love Talker

The Love Talker

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,197 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Laurie has finally returned to Idlewood, the beloved family home deep in the Maryland woods where she found comfort and peace as a lonely young girl. But things are very different now. There is no peace in Idlewood. The haunting sound of a distant piping breaks the stillness of a snowy winter's evening. Seemingly random events have begun to take on a sinister shape. And do ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Avon Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Talker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Talker

Lis Carey
This is one of the very early Elizabeth Peters books, when Barbara Michaels was still finding her way with this new voice. It's not as polished as the later Peters books, or the Michaels books, but it's very enjoyable.

Laurie Carlson is in Chicago, laboring on her dissertation in mediaeval history, when a very alarming letter arrives from her great-aunt, Ida Morton. Great-aunt Lizzy, Ida's younger sister, has a new enthusiasm, fairies, and is acting even odder than usual. Can Laurie please come h
Erin (Series Addict)
Having been a die-hard Barbara Michaels fan for years, I was almost reluctant to read her Elizabeth Peters persona. I know they're more popular but I thought that the changes would turn me off a bit. After reading The Love Talker, I'd recommend it as a good place to start for anyone else making the transition. Supposably this book is the closest to her Barbara Michaels style while still being a little different.

Since the story borderlines on the paranormal, but it never goes there, I can't help
Laina
Shelly
Classic Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters. We have a very educated woman with liberal leanings brought into an estate where, though everything seems cozy and comfortable on the surface, there is something brewing beneath it all. Trouble escalates slowly until there's real danger and our heroine, with some help from some attractive guys, must figure out what's really going on and save the day. Which, of course, she does. There was a nice twist at the end too, which was not less enjoyable for the ...more
Judy
Something evil and dangerous and beyond reason was plaguing young woman's her great aunts. Many complicated and twisted characters. Her half-brother comes to help; no love lost here. Another "writer" lives in to assist the elderly aunts with everyday work. Old uncle slips away to the woods all the time. Keeps you guessing until the end.
Libraryassistant
I adore almost all of Elizabeth Peters' books, but this one seemed particularly quirky and fun. New England is a different locale for her and the inter familial relationships added interest to the usual strong, witty heroine-dangerous puzzle scenario. Loved it.
SJuhl4
A trip to MD is in order when and Aunt see and hears 'little people'. Laurie and her adopted 'brother' come to get to the bottom of the mysterious goings on. Another good tale from Ms Peters.
Karen Murk
Read many of Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michael books when I was younger. So happy to find an audiobook of a title I had not read. Will be looking for more.....
Lisa Greer
Another I haven't yet read. So far, it's pretty good. Trying not to get too stuck on reading it since I have things to do today though! :)
The mystery in this one was a little bit weird, but I still liked the book. Maybe because the main character is named Laura :p
Heather L
Spent most of the afternoon finishing this. A good mystery and not a bad introduction to Elizabeth Peters.
Marita
It was time to read another Mystery. In this one nobody dies! Funny and very clean!
Kari
I'm a fan of Barbara Michaels aka Elizabeth Peters, so I thought I would see if The Love Talker was like the other Barbara Michaels books I have read in the past. It was very similar, but it ended up being just an OK read for me It may have been the narrator of the audiobook. Her voices blended together too much so that it was sometimes hard to figure out who was talking. I may have liked it more if I had read it instead.

The mystery was easy enough to figure out. Even the reveals/twists at the
Jean
The Love Talker feels more like a Barbara Michaels novel. I could also believe that Mary Stewart wrote it. There's very little romance, but there is a nice little mystery. I didn't expect some of the twists, but in hindsight the trace was laid to be followed. The main family had thoroughly likeable characters. I could relate to Laurie's trials with her elderly relatives and her half-brother. The book was a fun read.
Tifa
I don't know how I missed this one when I first binge-read all the Elizabeth Peters' books in the local library years ago, but I really enjoyed it. The characters are quirky and remind me so much of my relatives of a certain age in that part of the country. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Susan Cabaniss
Skip it and pick up one of her later novels, or those she wrote as Barbara Michaels.
Donna
This review is based on an audiobook version of the story. The mystery itself was entertaining but I never really warmed to any of the characters - though some of this may be due to the reader's choice of "voices" to represent each of the characters. If I didn't like the voice, I tended not to care for the character. There were enough twists and surprises in the plot to hold my interest and the ending was unexpected - clever but a little disturbing. Not the same caliber of story telling as found ...more
Carissa
I love how dated this book was. Published in the 1980s, it lacked all the current technological advances. No cell phones, lap tops, pda's, pagers, internet, etc. I found it refreshing. And the story was fun, too. Peters' heroines are always sharp-witted, driven, and fallible in a way that makes sense and keeps the pages turning. I adored the two aunts and uncle and the set up with the fairy photos. Nice resolution, too, that was happy without being gushy. I don't think I've ever read a book by h ...more
Donna
I read this book while on a bus trip and I must admit it was a page turner. Quirky characters, secrets hidden in the past and quite a few twists made the time fly. It starts out simply enough, a woman is worried about the great aunts and uncle who raised her. She travels home and meets her half-brother and it goes from there. Fairies, sleep walking, mysterious music in the night and the past returns all lead up to an exciting ending with one last twist that explains a lot of past behavior.
Karen
Besha
May 27, 2013 Besha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I just reread this, and wow! I remembered the fat-shaming (guys, the main character is 5'7 and 127lbs, i am not making this up), but I'd forgotten about the incest vibes. I always enjoy MPM, but this has not aged as well as the rest of her oeuvre.

I was, however, delighted to realize that this was where I first heard of "Goblin Market."
Linda
3.5 stars -- This book has the usual plot holes typical of an early Peters, but it's a fun read nevertheless and holds the reader's attention. Much more detailed characterization would have raised this book to another level, yet it was an engaging story.
girl writing
Entertaining, fast read. Fun, quirky characters. Story skirts the edges of paranormal (this one has fairies) as do many of her books (esp under Barbara Michaels). The mystery itself wasn't too hard to figure out and all loose ends neatly tied up by the end.
Jessi
Definitely not one of Ms. Peters' best books. It has the usual mysterious atmosphere and a heroine in danger, but the romance is just a little too ooky for me.
Stephanie Hughes
This book was really intriguing. It was not at all what I expected. There were a couple of slow parts, but it keeps you guessing until the very end!
Jeanette Johnson
Julie
Not really a good effort from Peters, though still readable. She's good at stringing together sentences even when the story is silly.
Red Fields
I think I read this one before. It's a bit dated but I'll read anything by Elizabeth Peters! I actually listened to it.
Heather
Not my favorite of hers! Most of her other ones are so much better, I don't know if I would bother with this one!
Jessica Howard
Kinda silly...not Elizabeth Peters' best...but a perfect bathtub read, since I didn't really care if it got splashed.
  • Smoke and Mirrors
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Fred ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4) The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)