Start by marking “Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  865 ratings  ·  91 reviews
A funny, raucous, and delightfully dirty 900-year history of the royal marriages of Europe's most famous-and infamous-monarchs.

Since time immemorial, royal marriages have had little to do with love- and almost everything to do with diplomacy and dynasty. Clashing personalities have joined in unholy matrimony to form such infamous couples as Russia's Peter II and Catheri
Published January 5th 2010 by NAL (first published November 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Notorious Royal Marriages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notorious Royal Marriages

Monty Cupcake
Who doesn't love reading the juicy gossip about all the hoity toity blue blooded royals of Europe? It makes it even more fun that they're dead (all but a few).

Summary: An examination of notorious royal marriages from Henry and Eleanor to Henry and his six wives to Charles and Diana.

Why I Read: My mom read it and passed it on to me.

My Thoughts: This is a delightfully gossipy history that is far more interesting than every other book I've been assigned to read this semester for history. I was surprised at how many of the couples were love matches! The big thing is that most of the ladies are repurposed from traditional portrayals into thinking, acting f
If other history books were written with this much wit and character, maybe so many American students wouldn't be flunking their world history exams.

Of course, this isn't intended to be a textbook or a treatise; it covers very specific information on a very narrow subject. But what a subject it is! She covers everything from the most infamous (Napoleon and Josephine) to more obscure (Joanna of Castille/Joanna the Mad and Phillip the Handsome), and all six wives of Henry VIII. She covers the anci
After reading and loving Leslie Carroll's Royal Affairs, I just HAD to get my hands on her follow up non-fiction book, Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire! And, it did not disappoint! You see, Leslie has this great sense of humor that resonates throughout the book, making you laugh out loud and wishing high school history was taught this way! I, for one, would've stayed awake for sure!
In Notorious Royal Marriages, Miss Carroll covers
Leslie Carroll does an admirable job outlining the many renowned royal marriages through the centuries. Students of history will recognize many of the subjects of whom Carroll chose to write, but the reader won't mind as the author's writing style is fluid with the ability to sustain interest. I'd read books in the past about some of the royal subjects covered in this book -- from England's famous Wars of the Roses love match -- Edward IV's marriage to commoner Elizabeth Woodville, to Henry VIII ...more

Notorious Royal Marriages, by Leslie Carroll
Be prepared for an enchanting time with a story teller who’s sure to become one of your favourite raconteurs of the past. Leslie Carroll, author of Notorious Royal Marriages, promises you a memorable date with history; be sure to bring your own wine…you’re staying up late tonight.
Notorious Royal Marriages, by Leslie Carroll focuses on some of the most renowned royal couples in history. The stories include European monarchs from as early as the 12th c a
Interesting survey of notable marriages among European royalty from the 1100s (Eleanor of Aquitaine, wow) to today (the Duchess of Cornwall, ick). As is so often the case with European history, my favorite parts were the insults:

lady-faced: Beardless and too femininely pretty to be attractive to women. An envoy used this term to describe Lord Darnley, who shortly afterward seduced and eloped with Mary, Queen of Scots.

hoyden: A boisterous girl; a tomboy. Used by the author to describe Marie Antoi
Non-fiction can be dry and stuffy – just a pile of facts laid out across the page; not so with Leslie Carroll’s new book! The way Leslie presents each royal couple it is like having a conversation with her. She is funny, witty, and gives great passing commentary. Here is an example of what I mean, from the section on Arthur Tudor and Katherine of Aragon:

"The bishop blessed the couple and wished them many years of fruitful life together, then departed and left the newlyweds to nature. Or not – d
Aug 06, 2010 Aldrin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Aldrin by: Fully Booked Zine
Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire, as its mouthful of a subtitle articulates, offers a trip through almost a millennium’s worth of scandalous true stories populated by royal husbands and wives. And, boy, what an exciting trip it is. It is a book which owes its spine to the less than lovely love stories of thirty-two royal marriages told in chronological order by wedding date and marked by varying levels of spicy controversy, beginni ...more
Notorious Royal Marriage by Leslie Carroll is a delightful romp through European history by way of examining several of the most infamous couples of all time. Eleanor of Aquitaine and her consecutive kings, Isabella and Ferdinand, Juana and Philip, Henry VIII and all six Queens, Mary Stuart and Henry Lord Darnley, Marie-Antoinette and Louis XVI, Alexandra and her Nicholas and many more. It is a book which I found not only highly entertaining but in each chapter, even those about royals whom I ha ...more
Henry Roth
A most enjoyable and entertaining read. The book certainly is not a historical tome by any means, but rather provides a glimpse into an institution which for thousands of years determined the shape and nature of the world. This book illustrates how the royal families and marriages were used to cement and create political alliances and ensure that countries achieved and worked towards their strategic objectives.

On a whole different level, the book is also gossipy and in many respects reflects th
Lauren Albert
This book is part of a genre I now call "history lite-ish"--cheesy cover, cheesy title and regular old interesting history in the middle. This is a very good look at royal marriages through the ages. And, with the exception of once-in-a-while descent into language like "Henry was sure there was nothing wrong with his plumbing," it is just well-written history broken into chapters that don't necessarily need to be read in order (although they are in sequential order). Clearly the covers and title ...more
Feb 05, 2011 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mary, Kasia
A very interesting read. It brings to light a lot of interesting points in the history of royal marriages. You always hear how intermarried they were, for instance, but this book really brings it home. Of course, reading about how two married people were raising armies against each other but still making babies together was incredible to think about it!

It's not terriby in-depth, but it's not meant to be- it's supposed to be general knowledge on each of the subjects. In that way it was an easy re
Jill Hutchinson
This is a history of the arranged marriages of royalty that for the most part turned out to be disastrous. Women were used as pawns on the chessboard of Europe for political and monetary gain. Cousins married with abandon which passed the gene causing hemophilia through many of the ruling families, as well as providing many countries with less than intelligent or sane kings and queens. The author covers many of the marriages with which we are familiar but adds her own humorous spin and keeps her ...more
Jean Marie
Oh this was fun. While a good chunk of the couples discussed within it I had already known a great deal about (especially Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Six Wives of Henry VIII) but the way this was written made it easy to read and easy to learn so that those who are new to the historical scene can get their feet wet easily. I also enjoyed the snark that was employed throughout the book, which made it fun.

I have Ms. Carroll's other two compilations that I look forward to reading through and expec
Dyah Subagyo
I skipped some parts because I've known enough about the couple, for example Napoleon with both his first and second wife and Prince Charles with both his spouses.
I've always thought and known that royal marriages are just political alliances, designed to give both the bride's and groom's family side the benefits they needed. It surprises me that many of them started as love marriage, although not many of them survived amicably. I am so saddened that those marriages eventually soured and failed
I would have given this book 3 1/2 stars if there was such an option. Well written and well researched, the truth is interesting enough without the author attempting to be salacious, as I have seen with other books of this type. Ms. Carroll did a great job of presenting the facts. I would recommend this to all history buffs, particularly Anglophiles. Who needs TMZ and People when you have Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville.
Like it's predecessor, it can serve as a good introduction to monarchical history, this time covering parts of European royalty too, not just the British. However, I didn't always agree with her assessment of historical figures and it covers a lot of the same royals you find in the author's non-fiction debut "Royal Affairs" so there is some overlap over information.
Very readable and entertaining overview of many of Europe's royal marriages. I especially like how the author adds information about how the various royals were related, both vertically and horizontally on the family trees. I've used it several times since finishing it as a reference source of time periods and relations for other books and movies.
Sorry. I got bored about a quarter of the way through this one. It's a nice compendium of information contained in other books, and doesn't offer any new insights at all.
I would have been happier to have more variety in the marriages discussed, but I appreciate a historian's line of expertise tends to be specific rather than general. But let's be honest: a couple of Henry VIII's marriages (for me most notably Jane Seymour & Katherine Parr) weren't truly deserving to be in the list. A few others, too, seemed not to fall into the description of "notorious" much at all.

The sections are quite short, so you don't learn terribly much, but it's done in a very appro
In reality, I'd give this four-and-a-half stars, but since there is no halving in the rating, four will have to do.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, having read one of Carroll's books in the past and not being all that impressed with it. In the case of Notorious Royal Marriages, though, I found myself devouring this book piece by piece whenever I had a spare moment.

(view spoiler)
Whilst I was secretly hoping for a long lost relative or descendent of Lewis Carroll with the author being Leslie Carroll, I guess instead I'll settle for some gossipy history. It's like the E! Network and People Magazine for ancient times. I feel dirty already.

But the opening page eased my worries as Countess Dangerosa was brought up. How pimp is that name? I’d give my left nut for all the fun I'd have with that name on the playground growing up. You think anyone would hassle me in capture the
I picked this up expecting a mildly titillating, historical gossip fest, but was pleasantly surprised. Despite the teasing cover and breezy style, this is a rather poignant account of 32 royal match-ups, ranging from the medieval Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, right through the Diana-Charles-Camilla triangle. The focus is strictly on Europe: you won't find any tidbits about Emperor Hirohito and the Meijii dynasty, or Queen Nzhinga of Angola; but all the iconic European royals make an appeara ...more
The history of scandalous romances of the rich and famous, those born to royalty or the aristocracy of various European countries. This is very enlightening and engaging for those interested in the hidden sins of people born to glory but turn out to be as normal as the lower classes in that they fall in love with the wrong people and so forth. Most of the affairs in this book were openly conducted so that everyone knew it but otherwise had to turn a blind eye.
While reading this book I wondered w
I enjoyed this book because I took it for what it was. I approached it as a broad introduction to different royals over the course of history with the intent of finding areas of history and people that I would like to explore further.

The book itself was like reading abstracts and did not have a lot of notes to support what the author was saying. I have read quite a bit about Henry VIII and his six wives and some of the details were off from what I remember reading in more well researched books.
Marie Castellano
The author has a wonderful sense of humour. And this book was a treat to read. It almost makes one sorry for the royals. It does, despite the author's disclaimer, give one an insight into the history of the times of the various royal marriages. Worth a read!
I became interested in this book after listening to an interview with the author on Rick Steve’s radio show and I thought I would like it since I am such a royalphile.

Turns out, I didn’t love it. I skimmed through many chapters in the begging because the pre Tudor era doesn't interest me that much, and since I have read many full biographies of the more Modern Royals the latter part of the book felt like a lot of rehashing of what I already knew.

I made it about three quarters of the way throug
Sera Trevor
Highly entertaining - I tore through it in about two days. Carroll is extremely funny and pokes some fun at her subjects, but she also shows a lot of compassion for them as well.
If you're looking for juicy bits of drama and gossip about the rulers of Western Europe, look no further. This book pays homage to historical accuracy while at the same time delighting us with courtly gossip along the way. As such, it makes this book a very interesting read. The chapters are split up into short, easy to read sections which makes it easy to put down and pick up again when life gets in the way. It is also one of the few books I've seen like this that encompasses the lives of twent ...more
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
  • Behind the Palace Doors: Five Centuries of Sex, Adventure, Vice, Treachery, and Folly from Royal Britain
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Mad Kings & Queens
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 1
  • Madame du Barry: The Wages of Beauty
  • The Mistresses of Henry VIII
  • Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy
I used to tell people that I was born in Manhattan and raised in the Bronx; but the truth is that apart from the stellar education I received at the Fieldston School in Riverdale, much of who I am was shaped by my two grandmothers, who encouraged me to follow my bliss long before it became the sort of catchphrase you find on tee-shirts and new-age tchotchkes. My East Side grandmother took me to FA ...more
More about Leslie Carroll...