Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love

Our Lady of Guadalupe: Mother of the Civilization of Love

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Nearly a decade after Spain's conquest of Mexico, the future of Christianity on the American continent was very much in doubt. Confronted with a hostile colonial government and Native Americans wary of conversion, the newly-appointed bishop-elect of Mexico wrote to tell the King of Spain that, unless there was a miracle, the continent would be lost. Between December 9 and...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Doubleday Religion (first published 2009)

Matthew
Recently began to understand the significance of the virgin mary in christian/catholic thought. It is very fascinating to read about the significance of an instance of marian apparitions. Especially the significance of the Virgin of Guadalupe since she is the patron of the Americas, and I live in that part of the world.

Excellent book, fantastic description of the story of this apparition of the virgin Mary. I think it will help the reader to understand that Mary is a conduit to her Son, even the...more
Hope
When I checked this book out from the library, I had no idea that it was co-written by the same author who wrote "A Civilization of Love," which I enjoyed immensely. This book was very well done, a fairly seamless considering it was written by two people. It was a great balance of historical accounts and a modern day applications of the miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The authors did a wonderful job of weaving in the writings of the Popes and the stories of Saint Juan Diego to help the reader...more
I really enjoyed this. The book starts with a basic history of the apparition and moves to a discussion of the symbolism in the picture on the tilma. It ends with various lessons for us today to learn from Our Lady of Guadalupe. I am not a theologian, but as far as I am able, I found the book to be orthodox. I came away from it with a deepened faith and wanting to recommend the book to friends.
Katrina Best
Starting with the apparitions of Our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego and ending with the role Our Lady of Guadalupe plays in modern day life, this book is a must for Mary fans, and those trying to understand the role of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Catholic church ase well as the culture of the Americas.This book compares and contrasts the Aztec symbology with that of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the Catholic Church. PJP2 and PB16 are quoted throughout the book. At times, the book can be a bit dry,...more
Anne
This is a really thorough explanation of the significance of the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe both at the time it occurred and for right now. If you already know a lot about the symbolism and iconography of the image itself, the beginning of the book will be repetitive for you. If you haven't delved into that yet, this is a great introduction. And it's worth reading for the explication of the cultural impact of these symbols and what they can teach us about evangelization today.
This book written by the Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus caught my attention when I saw it at the library, but unfortunately, it didn't do a very good job of holding my attention. The parts about Juan Diego's visions of Mary were interesting, even fascinating. The rest was dry, technical, and rather boring. Had I been reading this one instead of listening to it, I probably wouldn't have finished.
Gwen
If the rest of the book is as packed full of insights as the first 25 pages, I will be checking this out again and it will definitely be on my list to buy.

Beginning with Aztec culture and the Christian convert Juan Diego, the authors explore every nook and cranny of meaning from names to relationships and symbolism of flowers and songs. I have loved reading every word of the first two chapters.
Aleksandr Jackson
Wow. Juan Diego isn't just a poor Indian. His tilma isn't just a cape. And Mary isn't just a woman. For anyone curious about the Blessed Mother's appearance to Juan Diego and her message of Christ, I would encourage them to read it. I learned so much not only about the supernatural aspect of her apparition but also what it meant in the historical context of the New World.
Dana Kraft
What the Jesuits don't teach you about OLG is a lot. This specific book was heavy on theology especially toward the end. The first few chapters are chock full of interesting tidbits, though. I wonder if and when Catholic education in the US (or Texas) will incorporate reference to OLG in some way.
Mary Alice
I really give this 3 and half stars. This is a hard book to rate. It is full of good historical information and explains Aztec symbology well. Most of the story I already knew, so I wasn't surprised by anything. Maybe that is why it didn't capture me fully.
Nowell
Contains a comprehensive explanation of the Aztec symbols on the Blessed Mother's clothing in the image on St. Juan Diego's tilma.
Leslie
Interesting insights into Mexican culture. Our Lady of Guadalupe is not just for Mexicans, but represents all of North America.
Phhornbuckle
The writing maybe a three, but the event on which it is asked and the documentation of the event is a five!
Don Weidinger
1531 event that changed the lives of 9M people within years, a story of love that may enrich your life.
Renee Yesso
Very academic book about Our Lady of Guadalupe. Interesting material if a bit dry.
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Pascale-dominique Nau
Pascale-dominique Nau marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
R.B. O'Gorman
R.B. O'Gorman is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Maria Werries
Maria Werries marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Happyybrown
Happyybrown marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Kevin Holmes
Kevin Holmes marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers A Civilization of Love: What Every Catholic Can Do to Transform the World Called to Love: Approaching John Paul II's Theology of the Body Assessing Writers Beyond a House Divided: The Moral Consensus Ignored by Washington, Wall Street, and the Media