Start by marking “The Golden One (Amelia Peabody, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Golden One (Amelia Peabody, #14)

The Golden One (Amelia Peabody #14)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  4,668 ratings  ·  148 reviews
A new year, 1917, is dawning, and the Great War that ravages the world shows no sign of abating. In these perilous times, archaeologist Amelia Peabody and her extended family must confront shocking dangers. But it is son Ramses who faces the most dire threat, answering a call that will carry him to the fabled seaport of Gaza on a mission as personal as it is perilous -- wh...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published March 25th 2003 by Avon Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden One

Amanda
Dorothy
I love the early books in Elizabeth Peters' series, but I enjoyed this one much less. Much of the reason lies in “Manuscript H”.

The series is “written” by Amelia Peabody, the resourceful wife of an archaeologist working in Egypt in the early part of the 20th century. She's a feisty, intelligent woman who's handy with a parasol in a tight spot, and she has a nice line in dry humour.

The problem (for the author) is that her accounts are written in the first person – which works well in the early...more
Jenifer
The Peabody family remains one of my favorite literary groups of people. I love their personalities and their friends and their enemies! Their adventures are good, and the history is supplementary. I'm more interested in the family development than in the actual adventures, and I noticed that Emerson and Amelia are much less amorous in this installment. I hope they get their groove back on, because it's one of my favorite parts of their relationship.
Jamie
3.5 stars. Another entertaining Amelia Peabody novel, although the plot is a slightly awkward mix of murder mystery and spy adventure.

It's 1916 and the Emersons are back in Egypt to stay for a while, since ocean travel is growing more dangerous due to German submarine attacks. The usual murder mystery interrupts their archaeological digging, plus the British authorities continue to pursue a reluctant Ramses, trying to engage him yet again in the Great Game.

I continue to be amused by Amelia, and...more
Shala Howell
Again, using this book as a stand-in for the entire series of Amelia Peabody mysteries. Elizabeth Peters was my companion of choice in 2005-2006 for airplane trips. If you want to read a lot of brain candy while pretending you're doing something literary, read the Amelia Peabody mysteries in the order in which Peters wrote them. Peters develops a lot as a writer over the course of writing these novels, and it's fascinating to watch her gain mastery over the craft. The first books can be grim rea...more
Stephanie Patterson
Some years ago my husband recommended these mysteries both for Ms. Peters deft characterizations and for her knowledge of Egypt and her accurate portrayal of the practice of archeology in the early 20th century. I made the mistake of trying to read this book before any of the others. It’s important to read these books in order to see the development of the characters and the way in whichthe author moves them through this particular part of history.
This book takes place during World War I. So...more
Gillian
Quite a bit shorter than the others in this series, but I quite liked it. It did seem from time to time to jump a bit back and forth between story-lines, but I didn't mind. I'm curious if the rest of the books will continue on in this style. There were lots of hints that some big plot changes are coming in the future, and I imagine this book was almost an intermission between some of the more dramatic story-lines.

I just can't get enough of these.
Beth
This is the first Peters I'd read, and it hooked me very early on. Her books turn out to be like satisfying, multicourse meals. They have complex plots and subplots. The historical detail is fantastic. The characters are generally not stereotypes or even archetypes. My only quibble is that Fatima, the Egyptian housekeeper, has almost no role to play except to be worried, exclaim a lot, and push food on people. She's a fairly boring stereotype of a woman, and Peters has disappointed me in that sh...more
Callista
Barbara ★
What more could I possibly say about this hilarious (and often dangerous) exciting excavation series? Ramses and Nefret have surpassed my love of Amelia and Emerson. The only bad thing I will say about this installment...I can't stand Jumana and hope she doesn't return in future books. I love how there are always multiple dangers and multiple villains (working separately) as it really keeps you guessing. Thrilling series!
Sheila Woofter
What can I say. This series does not get old. There is enough new in each story to keep the reader interested. This is the third book taking place during WWI. I'm ready for the next in the series!
Dina Tanners
This book is the 14th of the Amelia Peabody series mostly set in Egypt from the late 1880s to the early 1920s. I've continued to read the series because it is a light way to learn about archeological exploration in Egypt at that time and also because I have become interested in the main characters. This book is rather complex with three different plots that, in part, come together toward the end of the book. It was a bit more loosely written for the first part but still a pleasant read while tra...more
Pamela Mclaren
In this, the 14th book in the series about Amelia Peabody, her husband, Emerson, and their adventures in Egypt, Elizabeth gives you another winning mystery, despite having a most annoying main character in Peabody. But I have to admit that I keeping saying never again and then go ahead and read one of her books. In this outing, The Emersons return to Egypt and expect to ge there quite some as their travels are during 1917 and the first world war. Their son, Ramses, is approached again to go unde...more
Beverly Temporal
Not my favorite book in the series but love the series. And it was still entertaining.
Anna
I'm not sure what to think of how the various parts of this story fit together, but any chance to hang out with the Peabody Emersons reproduces some of my happiest childhood reading experiences. That's not to call the books childish, but I'm hard put to think of a book -- much less series -- that's brought me as much joy since I first discovered the delight of a good story.

I will say, however, that certain references and aspects of the story won't mean as much unless you've read the series from...more
Lisa
The Golden One, by Elizabeth Peters
★★★★★ and a ♥
Synopsis: A new year, 1917, is dawning, and the Great War that ravages the world shows no sign of abating. Answering the siren call of Egypt once more, Amelia Peabody and her family arrive at their home in Luxor to learn of a new royal tomb ransacked by thieves. Soon an even more disturbing outrage concerns the intrepid clan of archaeologists: the freshly and savagely slain corpse of a thief defiling the ancient burial site.
Yet this is nothing comp...more
Elaine
Title: The Golden One.

Author: Elizabeth Peters.

Genre: Mystery, Action/Adventure, Historical Fiction, War Thriller, Egyptology, Romance, Humorous, Sequel.

Plot: Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband Radcliff Emerson bring in the new year of 1917 on board ship heading for Egypt at the start of a prolonged stay in that country. It’s the beginning of another excavation season and Emerson is keen to get back to work. Also in their party are the Emerson’s grown son Ramses, his wife Nefret and Amelia’s...more
Colleen
Again another fun novel about the Emerson clan. This novel is more focused on the war than the archaeology, but still very fun. It had all the humor as the other books, but I felt as if it was missing in some of the action. They can't all be high action, and there was a lot of fun in this one, but it wasn't as suspenseful as some of the earlier novels. The only major complaint I have is that there were so many characters that sometimes it was hard to keep everyone straight.

I really have nothing...more
Rach
There are lots of good things in this book. I love anytime we get to spend with Sethos, and the more he features in these books, the more we get to know and like him, just as Amelia, Emerson, and the rest of the family do. I'm also so glad that Bertie is thriving as an archeologist, and happy for Cyrus that he finally has his big find. The family's adventure to Gaza was quite thrilling, and I enjoyed that action, despite the fact that this war business is generally wearing on me. I also loved wh...more
Kristen
At this point, on book 14 my reviews are likely to get a bit repetitive, but I still love this series and the Emerson family!

Once again the Emersons manage to become embroiled in a plot to locate a hidden tomb containing undiscovered treasures, which also includes appearances by Sethos and yet other new villians who must be outwitted by the intrepid family of Egyptologists!

Amelia and Emerson are their usual selves, each battling to outwit and outthink and out-scheme the other. Ramses and Nefret...more
Hillary
This was the first book I read in the Amelia Peabody series. I randomly had it on my shelf and I just now found out that it's #14 in the Peabody series. Maybe I shouldn't have started the series at #14.

The writing did not flow. The dialogue was choppy and the speech between the characters never really seemed "real." I didn't enjoy any of the characters either. The characters' personalities all seemed to switch from chapter to chapter, which isn't a good thing. Character personalities really shou...more
Dayna Smith
It's 1917 and as WWI continues, the Emersons decide to move to Egypt and stay for the duration since travel between Egypt and England is made dangerous by German submarines. Once they arrive events conspire to lure Ramses back into the espionage business. He and the family must travel to the besieged city of Gaza to rescue Sethos, who may or may not be a double agent. Fans of the series will love this installment as well. The ending is especially touching and sets up the next crises nicely.
Jan
I have read this book twice. Once several years ago, and then again this week. I picked it up by mistake, thinking I had not read it. Once into it I realized, I had already read it. However, as with many books, I enjoyed it the second time around.

Story: Amelia Peabody, is now the mother of Adult children, her son, Ramses and her lovely DIL, Nefret. They are as interested in archeology, as Amelia and her husband are. Both bringing their own expertise to the digs.

As always, the family has grown la...more
Erik
The plot of this installment of the Amelia Peabody series was forgettable. I could summarize it as: Ramses does some spy work for the British government, the Emerson's find a tomb. But, it was still an enjoyable read. I like and care about the characters. The writing flows well and is enjoyable. This particular installment just seemed a little low on plot substance to me.
Lynn Enright
This was a good read to continue the story of Amelia, Emerson and family and entourage. I enjoyed the vicarious travel to Egypt and the adventures that the family encounters. There are many plot twists and much character development which include a lot of back stories, where you get to know the characters well. I am looking forward to locating the next book "Children of the Storm". These books are very entertaining and engaging. It is a very interesting way to see from fictionalized characters e...more
Kristi Thompson
A while ago, I realised that I read this series, and most mystery serieses these days, as novels of setting and character, not as puzzles. Which was good, because this book was wonderful as a chance to spend more time with Amelia Peabody, family and friends. But as mystery, it left something to be desired. A few extremely incompetent and not at all mysterious tomb robbers, a couple of murders at the beginning that were immediately explained and that no-one really cared about anyways, and a compl...more
Don P
Great, great, can't wait til the next comes in, but everything I'm thinking of typing falls under the spoiler alert category. New and old faces merge in this one as old enemies become allies (of one sort or another) and the next generation of antagonists (lets face does Amelia really think of her would be murderers as anything more than annoying)and a broader group of allies.
K
Sep 11, 2014 K rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: good
I really enjoyed this book. Pure escape fiction, and anything related to Egypt is always a page turner. In addition, there was war, intrigue, spying, etc., and the main characters became real to me. Highly recommend this!
Kaye
  • Seven Dials (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #23)
  • Justice Hall (Mary Russell, #6)
  • Shattered Silk (Georgetown, #2)
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
  • The Windsor Knot (Elizabeth MacPherson, #5)
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Fred...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4) The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)

“Emerson,' I said, choosing my words with care, 'it is a sheer drop from the cleft down to the base of the cliff. If you are bent on breaking your arm or your leg or your neck or all three, find a place closer to home so we won't have to carry you such a distance.” 9 likes