Rien Ne Va Plus

Rien Ne Va Plus

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"Every time I want to write, I want to write love stories. But as soon as I pick up the pen I'm overcome by horror."

Margarita Karapanou’s third novel is, like roulette, a breathtaking, suspenseful game. The story is simple: a love affair ends badly. A woman and a man marry, and their marriage leads them to cruelty, infidelity, and divorce. But here their story is told twi...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Clockroot Books (first published February 24th 1993)

M.
This, being the second book by Karapanou that I've read, seems to instantly solidify my love for this author. Not quite as immediately, or directly, heavy as Kassandra and the Wolf, this is still just as affecting and quietly beautiful, sad, perfect. The shifting perspectives and realities inside of the book operate in an amazing way; even within the narrative diegesis there is no objective truth, because how can there be? Events are re-written, falsified, repeated, denied. It's all amazing.

"--W
Eugene
two times the amour fou! …a writing of passion and extremes not dissimilar to marguerite duras and georges bataille, karapanou’s RIEN NE VA PLUS tells a break-up story twice, completely shifting not only perspective but wholly changing event and characterization. the effect is more subtle than simply the apprehension of relative truth à la a he-said-she-said story — but rather something is revealed about our own ability (and desire) to be both brutalizer and willing submissive.

there’s something...more
Jason
Dec 17, 2012 Jason added it
Shelves: read-2010
This novel is only understandable as a postmodernist rejection meaning. If you try to look at it as two sides of the coin (ala Rashomon), you will be dissapointed. It is all over the place and completely unreliable (in section 3 there is a seeming explanation of the first part, but the 3rd part itself is filled with lies and delusion). This is the point of the novel and in that respect it succeeds admirably. In the end, however, it is not a particularly masterful execution of anything other than...more
TinHouseBooks
Lauren Perez (Publicity Intern, Tin House Books): This week’s raddest read was a translation of Margarita Karapanou’s Rien Ne Va Plus; it’s the story of a marriage and its dissolution, told twice: once with the husband as betrayer, once with the wife. The husband is a veterinarian named Alkiviadis, who is either a narcissist who makes his wife witness his multiple affairs with other men and then kills himself, or he’s an adoring, compassionate husband who desperately wants a family with his wife...more
Onalee
Beautifully written, this novel left me speechless. I immediately wanted to read it over, to try to get deeper inside the minds of the haunting characters. This book will be on my mind for a while...and that's a good thing.
Hilary
Jul 27, 2009 Hilary added it
Shelves: clockroot
“Rien ne va plus is one of the most haunting, affecting novels I’ve ever read. Brilliantly translated by Karen Emmerich, Karapanou’s words have stayed with me like the afterglow of a flash, or the sting of a punch.” —Jonathan Safran Foer

“Margarita Karapanou writes as if riding a wild horse, holding tight to its mane. If she had written in English, today the whole English-speaking world would be talking about her.” —Amanda Michalopoulou

"Every time I want to write, I want to write love stories. Bu...more
I need to read this book again. I probably won't right now, although it's tempting just to flip from the last page to the first and begin again. It really requires a lot of thought to process the disconnect between truth and reality. I'm not sure what I should believe, or even what I *want* to believe. But the couple in the book will stay with me for awhile.

Note: the back of the book says "this novel tells their story twice, from opposing perspectives." I was afraid this meant it was one of thos...more
Ashley
Interesting. The characters and their relationship drew me in, but then it turned into something I didn't want it to be. It's the story of a marriage gone wrong, told from two very different perspectives. And not just 'his' and 'hers.' It's just told from two different angles. An interesting concept, but it just left me wondering 'so wait. what really happened?' And then not caring. Also, the baby nightmares were too much.
Baxevanidou Faye
Το δεύτερο μυθιστόρημα της Καραπάνου που διαβάζω, αν και όχι τόσο βαρύ όσο η Κασσάνδρα και ο λύκος με τράβηξε από τις πρώτες σελίδες και με κράτησε ως το τέλος. Η συγγραφέας και εδώ αφήνει να φανούν τα θέματα που έχει με τη μητέρα της παρόλο που έχουμε να κάνουμε με την ιστορία ενός ζευγαριού. Η κοφτερή γραφή της νομίζω δεν αφήνει κανέναν ασυγκίνητο και είναι σίγουρα ένα από τα βιβλία που θα'θελα να ξαναδιαβάσω κάποια στιγμή.
Evelyn
i was really captivated by the story as soon as i started reading the first few pages, made me want to know more about Louisa and Alkis. Their characters are very interesting and their relationship somehow sad and painful. Some parts are really intense with feelings and problems. It was a really good read overall.
William
A fun, quick read. Not for everyone, probably. I worried that I might just like the book because the translator somehow affected its tone or elegance. I wanted to learn the original language the book is written in. You can't go learning every language though. That's too many languages. You have to take it easy.
this book totally messed with my head. watching revolutionary road right after didn't help.
S
S marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
The
The marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Angelikik
Angelikik marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2014
Dimitra Maranti
Dimitra Maranti marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Jeff Jackson
Jeff Jackson marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Sotiris Darkenlight
Sotiris Darkenlight marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Margarita Karapanou (Μαργαρίτα Καραπάνου) was a Greek novelist. She was born in Athens in 1946, the daughter of Greek novelist Margarita Lymberaki. She was raised and educated in Greece and France.
Her novels have been translated into several European languages. Her 1976 novel Η Κασσάνδρα και ο Λύκος (Cassandra and the Wolf) was awarded in the year 1988 in France as the best translated work of fic...more
More about Margarita Karapanou...
Kassandra and the Wolf The Sleepwalker «Ναι» Η ζωή είναι αγρίως απίθανη Μαμά