The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)

The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family & Friends #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,019 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Liz Carlyle, bestselling author of The Devil You Know and A Deal With the Devil, continues her devilish streak with this sensual regency romance.
By day, Sidonie Saint-Godard is a quietly elegant young widow who teaches deportment to the unpolished daughters of London's nouveau riche. By night, she is someone altogether different....
The notorious Black Angel -- so calle...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Pocket Star

Denise
I keep thinking that eventually I will read a Liz Carlyle book that just doesn't do it for me. Well this wasn't the one! I absolutely loved this book! Devellyn was just awesome. He was a big giant of a man, but he acted like a little lost puppy. He is so awkward and sweet.. but he is also thoughtless and selfish, but not when it comes to Sidonie. For example:

“I beg your...more
Keri
Another good book from Ms. Carlyle. These things truly are like potato chips. Aleric was a sweetie who needed a lucky break for sure. The night the Black Angel stripped him, tied him up naked in bed and robbed him, he got his break, it just took awhile for him to realize it.

After all, he had been shunned by his father, been left by at least 10 mistresses, have wood eating beetles eat him out of his home, knock himself out at least twice by banging his head on the headboard while he was banging....more
Ana
Devellyn isn't a happy man. Not only is he estranged from his family, (view spoiler) and as the icing on the cake he was robbed by the Black Angel and his humiliation is known all over London. He would feel better if only he could forget the pretty thief and stop lusting after her. And then he meets Sidonie, another woman that enchants him.

Sidonie is the Black Angel, trying to help women that were abused. Although a thief, she is honourable...more
Felicia
Here's the thing: I don't list 1/5 of the historical romance novels I've read on my Kindle this year. Why? Because most of them are total crap. And chauvanist at that. And dumb. Whatever. This one was not Einstein material but I really enjoyed it. The plot was kinda dumb, but for some reason I really liked the characters, and that's all these books are about. The ending is improbable at best, but I consider these romance books akin to, say "Ninja Assassin". You don't go in expecting it to win an...more
Ilze
Altogether fantastic! Liz Carlyle certainly had her mojo working when she wrote this one. Charming, sexy, laugh-out-loud funny in places, great dialogue, great scene-setting, great characters. The hero Devellyn is Carlyle's answer to Lord of Scoundrels, and he is to die for! Sidonie is over-the-top wonderful, and her brother George Kemble, who appears in practically all of Carlyle's books, is one of the main characters in this one - not just as a brilliant valet, antiques dealer and "fixer", but...more
Oleta Blaylock
This book begins a new arc and ends another. Our hero is Aleric Hilliard, Marquess Devellyn. Aleric is a disreputable rake that is beginning to find his life missing something. I think that the first time he meets Ruby Black a/k/a Sidone Saint-Godard pushes in the direction of redemption. While some of what Aleric does as far as Ruby is concerned is questionable he is so confused by what is happening to him I don’t think that he realizes what he is doing. He has lived with guilt and anger so lon...more
Borderstar
4/4.5 stars - after initially thinking I wasn't going to like this, it was a very entertaining read. I loved the main characters and there was some intrigue about the story too. It was a little predictable but then again, most romances are! Glad I read this one.
Christine
Found this older Liz Carlyle book at the library, and figured I should read it so that I'm caught up on her series.

While I liked Sidonie -- she's kind and caring -- I never really bought the whole Black Angel disguise thing. I was never sure why she felt compelled to do this. She can't really articulate why she thinks it's a smart way to help poor women, so as a reader, I was never convinced about it either. It's apparent that she carries a grudge against rich men, but her robberies just seem ch...more
Angie
As I've previously said with other historical-romances, this one was a surprisingly good read. I didn't expect to get pulled into this story and its characters as much as I did. Perhaps that's why I enjoy reading them so much.

Dev is such a tortured soul. He is self-depreciating, sarcastic, confident but still unsure of himself, and ultimately a sweetheart. Sid is brave, stubborn, sensual but still prim, and ultimately an avenging angel. Her want--no need--to help those who are trapped was an adm...more
Bell Curran
This was refreshing after having just read a few historical romances that were weighed down with emoting that was as excessive as it was implausible.

With lots of one-sentence paragraphs to punctuate the drama.

As in,

"She trembled in his arms. As Lord HawkSilverRakehell caressed the slick folds of her feminine desire, she knew that no one could touch her the way he did.

"It was as if he touched the core of her soul."

Liz Carlyle avoids that. She doesn't need to use one-sentence paragraphs to conve...more
Mandy
Liz Carlyle writes really well and in a style I find enjoyable; however, her stories always fall flat. Carlyle can craft a beautiful sentence, just not a good book.

This is my Carlyle pattern: Pick up a book and barely recognize the name. Start the book and just ooh and ah over the writing style. Ask myself, “Self, why haven’t you read more Liz Carlyle?” Read about 1/3 of the book, completely lose interest in the story, and remember why I don’t read more Liz Carlyle. Begrudgingly finish the rest...more
Ladiibbug
May 27, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
#3 Devil trilogy - Historical Romance

From Book Cover:

By day, Sidonie is a quietly elegant young widow who teaches deportment to the unpolished daughters of London's nouveau riche. By night she's the notorious Black Angel -- so called for her scandalously located angel tattoo.

The Black Angel takes from powerful men who explot and gives to those who suffer at their hands. Her identity is a mystery.

The Marquess of Devellyn, one of the least noble noblemen in town, uses and discards women as he plea...more
Christine M
Better than expected. The writing is witty in places and there appears to be the scratchings of a plot outside of the hero/heroine getting together.

The plot is similar to the plot description of Connie Brockaway's "All Through The Night", which I have not read. But no more so than I'd say Laurie McBain's Moonrise Madness. There is trope - where the woman is a sort of Robin Hood character by night and a lady or widow by day. It's rare, but if you scrounge a bit you can find it. Most romance novel...more
Lucy

One of the things that most makes me sad is when a book doesn't live up to its potential and The Devil To Pay was one perfect example of this situation.

Sidonie Saint-Godard is a polite, charming, elegant young widow who makes her living teaching the daughters of London's nouveau riche.
But Sidonie has a secret. She is the infamous Black Angel, a Robin Hoodesque figure who stalks the night, preying on the men who exploit the weak, taking what she can from them and then giving everything to those w...more
Dangermousie
Carlyle is a hit-or-miss author for me, but when she is on, she is really on. And she is really on here. Our heroine, Sidonie, is a seemingly respectable widow who moonlights as Black Angel, a daring vigilante who humiliates and robs upperclass men who mistreat women (and the money she gets goes to the women's help). Our hero, Devellin (yes, that's his name. Oh well, it's romancenovelland), is an aristocrat who is busily trying to drink/gamble/etc himself to death because he cannot deal with a n...more
Zumbagirl
This was super cute and fun! My first Liz Carlyle book. The heroine, Sidonie, is a widow and thief (this is the second book this month I've read where the h is involved in illegal activity - the other one was The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1) by Julie Anne Long) Devellyn, the hero, is this big hunk of a man who has all sorts of problems with women and is estranged from his family. Sidonie and Devellyn also happen to be neighbors. I liked the way Ms. Carlyle revealed their background layer by layer. For example, Sidonie was married before and we...more
Minh
Ahh Google, what would I do without you. Ah man, even reading that summary makes me want to puke. Seriously, I picked this one up on the name of the author and simply because it had the word Devil in it. It took me a fair few days to get through this novel and it's not one I really enjoyed. Simply put, Gentlemen around town are sudden being beseiged by a beautiful is vengeful Black Angel. The temptress seduces, steals and vanishes into thin air. CUE THE HERO!

The Duke of Devil street becomes a v...more
Joy
Another Liz Carlyle book I enjoyed. I loved the idea of Sidonie (heroine) leading a double life, like a female Robin Hood with her original ways. Known to few as the mysterious "Black Angel", things got more interesting when she stumbled with Devellyn, and when he swore he'll get back at her. The plot thickens when Sidonie met with Devellyn as her original self since they were neighbors. There was a lot of tension until truth was revealed. The love scenes were definitely sizzling and passionate,...more
Erica Chilson
The overall premise is amazing. What kept this from being a 5 star read for me is the pacing: the flow of information is very, very slow. With the Black Angel storyline being exciting, it's a strange feel to have so... stalled when dealing with other parts of the story.
Kay Bolton
Review taken from my Blog Post (#53) in December 2010.

This is the first ever Kindle e-book I've ever had, and have been so pleased with the Kindle. It feels really strange to pick up a book again! Therefore it was lovely to start off my career as a Kindle reader with one of my favourite authors, Liz Carlyle and The Devil to Pay.

Especially as it was the story of George Kemble's sister Sidonie Saint-Goddard and her Aleric, Marquess of Devellyn.

A fabulous story of lover conquering the social layers...more
Tammy
By the end I was enjoying the story but the beginning almost had me putting the book down. Something about the story just put me off from the start. It did get better about a third of the way in and I was really enjoying it by the end. Still I couldn't bring myself to rate it higher. I should have known because even the description didn't appeal to me. But I have read other books in the series and wanted to give it a try. It won't stop me from reading more of Liz Carlyle's books because I normal...more
Cynthia (aka Artemis)
Once again, my library browsing took me in a different direction and I discovered a new author. Ms. Carlyle books have garnered many great reviews, and I look forward to reading more of them.

What I liked best about this one was the character of Sidonie Saint-Godard: The Heroine. She is a multi-faceted lady who cares deeply and doesn't like to sit idly by. The Hero, Devellyn, isn't a stick in the mud either. I was fascinated by Sidonie's brother, George, and hope that his story will one day be wr...more
Zoe
It took a while to get into. Not exactly a page turner.

But, Liz Carlyle writes riveting, realistic characters.

So, I liked The Devil to Pay and I thought it was very beautifully constructed but I'm not super in love with it.
Abby
I wish I could give it 4.5 stars. Sidonie was such an interesting character with very interesting reasons behind her actions. Devellyn was a little more two-dimensional than Carlyle's other heroes, but he was at least different. A little more dissolute and rougher than usual. It was a nice change, if not fully fleshed out.

I also love anything that features Kemble. If Carlyle could write a m/m romance for Kemble, WHOOWHEEE!! That would be so amazingly awesome!!
Brianna
this book gives you a deep look in the world of mistress due to the fact that the main female character is the bastard daughter of a duke, a person of higher power forced himself on her mother, the governess, and then later keep her on as his mistress. Both the lady and Devellyn deserve each other for they want to chance the wrong of the world. not at first for Devellyn, but after meeting the woman who is right for him changes him greatly.
Jodie
Far from believable in a "true historic" sense, but its set just on the edges of high society so it can just about get away with the fact the hero and heroine call each other by first names etc..

The by play and dialogue between then had me smiling and laughing out loud. I also liked the way the author didn't shy way from some of the more difficult topics. (She calls a spade a spade.)

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot.
Sonja
Laugh-out-loud-funny! I laughed on the bus while I was reading this and then I had to explain, "Sorry. Funny book." It was embarrassing, but worth it. Besides being funny (in situation and dialogue), it was also a well-written historical, atypical in its characters. We got BOTH a rough-around-the-edges hero AND heroine, which you hardly ever see, especially in a historical. Great, fun read!
Lara
This one gets an entire extra star by virtue of one of the hottest love scenes I have ever read in a historical. I was reading it over lunch, and one of my coworkers asked if I was all right because I was (apparently) blushing absolutely scarlet. Other than that, it's classic Liz Carlyle--wit, sarcasm, a hero with a buried secret, etc. But hooboy, Devellyn and Sidonie together ignite the pages!
Judi Lacanlale
Another winner from Ms. Carlyle. Sidonie is like a Robin Hood for all the abused women of London & Devellyn inadvertently got in her way & paid dearly by being taunted by his peers. He decided then that the Black Widow had to pay for her crimes.
Elii Vela
Un romance magnífico que me ha dejado un buenísimo sabor de boca. Divertidos y tiernos, una pareja muy sexy. Deseo leer otro libro de esta autora a la que no cnocía pero que sin duda ya se ganó un lugar en mi corazón :)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • The Saint (Seducers #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • How to Propose to a Prince (Royle Sisters, #3)
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2)
  • El complot mongol
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • The Prince of Pleasure (Notorious, #5)
  • The Bride Price
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #3)
  • Total Abandon
  • His Mistress By Morning (Marlow, #1)
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca...more
More about Liz Carlyle...
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3) Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1) Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4) Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2) Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)

“Sidonie,” he said, his voice strangely hoarse. “You are the most—I mean, you are so…I find you…ah, devil take it! Never mind!”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing,” he growled. “I misspoke. What did you say about oranges?”
4 likes
“The truth is, Sidonie, I don’t fare well with women.” He spoke coolly, and without looking at her. “It is my own fault, of course. I…I neglect them. I forget where I’m supposed to be, and when I’m supposed to be there. I’m irresponsible. I drink to excess, gamble to excess, and sometimes I brawl. I never remember special occasions. And I very often go to sleep before they’ve…well, never mind that.” Devellyn fell silent for a moment. “And I cheat on them,” he quietly added. “Dreadfully. Did I mention that?”

“You did not,” she answered. “But a full disclosure of one’s fidelity, or even one’s skill in the bedroom, is not, strictly speaking, necessary before having dinner with someone.”

Devellyn smiled down at her a little wearily. “Ah, Sid, I have no charm at all, have I?” he said almost regretfully.”
3 likes