Start by marking “Defenders of the Scroll” as Want to Read:

Defenders of the Scroll

A teenage boy.
A dark wizard.
A mystic scroll.
And the fate of a world hangs in the balance...

When Alex "the Axeman" Logan is pulled from his world to help a young princess, named Dara, save her kingdom from the Shadow Lord, he thinks there has been a mistake. He's a teen guitar player close to failing 11th grade, not some defender of the realm. All he has are some school

Published (first published June 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Defenders of the Scroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defenders of the Scroll

Nicola Mansfield
Feb 13, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: The combination of members who joined the quest in this fantasy is what initially intrigued me enough to want to read the book.

Summary: Alex is your typical high school teen with one major obsession, playing rpg/mporg video games and a secondary fixation as the leader and lead guitarist of a band called the Axemen. Alex's biggest dilemna in life is whether to skip a history exam to go to a real studio audition with the band. Meanwhile, in another realm of existence , Mythos,
Trupti Dorge
Oct 09, 2009 Trupti Dorge rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, review-copy
In Short: What an awesome book!!! It’s got action, lovable characters and a superb plot.

As we enter the fantasy world created by Defenders of the Scroll, we are introduced to 2 main people. Alex, a teenager who is bored with his life, who plays video games having ogres and wizards and feels that his calling in life is different than just going through another torturous year at school. He also leads a rock band called ‘Axemen’.

In another parallel universe, we meet 9 year old Dara, the daughter of
IceJewel
Feb 15, 2010 IceJewel rated it it was amazing
When the powerful wizard and King of Mythos-Mornak gets imprisoned by the evil forces, his little 9 year old daughter 'Dara' is left alone to save herself and find a way to get his father out from the prison. All she is left with is a magical scroll given to her by her father.By her own power she accidentally summons a 15 year old boy Alex: a guitar -playing high school student to help and protect her.What comes next is Alex's journey to save Dara with the help of a magical scroll, his own ...more
I really, really, really, wanted to like this book, but I just cannot. It's not the

*story: which I think is very good, or the
*characters: which are comprised of different races and backgrounds, or the
*morals: which are sprinkled throughout the story, for example, everyone should just get along, racial harmony, believe in yourself, etc.

It's the writing. I think it's written for young people, like ages 10 and up. This represented the real problem for me, because I could not get past that. After
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Far, far away is a magical place called Mythos. There lives a king by the name of Mornak. He is also the most powerful wizard. Many years ago, Mythos started getting run over by robbers, murders and thieves. Mornak had an obligation to his people to keep them safe. So he had a huge building built. It is called the Hall of Shadows. It resides in Darkwood or Shadow Wood. The Hall is a prison to keep all the evil. Things have been peaceful since the construction of the Hall.

Flash forward to the pr
Alexia561
Dec 08, 2009 Alexia561 rated it really liked it
Wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, but have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Princess Dara is just a little girl whose father just started training her in magic, so it's understandable that she accidentally summons the wrong "Axeman" as her protector. And Alex is just a teenager who soon finds out that this wild adventure is all too real. But I love how all those hours spent watching movies and playing video games pay off when Alex is able to predict what should happen ...more
Sheree
Dec 12, 2009 Sheree rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young fantasy lovers
Defenders of the Scroll is an exciting and imaginative ride of action and adventure, set in the fantasy realm of Mythos. The quest of good vs evil is not a new one but the Hall of Shadows (prison for all things evil in Mythos) is definitely a unique and disturbing concept. The book itself is really quite beautiful, each page is designed as a scroll and the illustrations throughout are stunning, adding to the overall package appeal.

When evil is unleashed in Mythos and King Mornak is captured, his
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
Oct 04, 2009 Eleni ( La Femme Readers ) rated it really liked it
Ryan G
Mar 28, 2011 Ryan G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
I was surprised by how quickly I read this book, once I started it I didn't want to stop reading. I was intrigued from the start and now I'm stuck in limbo waiting for the next installment so I know what happens to Dara, Alex, and the others.

I found this to be a wonderful story of Good vs. Evil. When the King of the realm faces a threat only he has a chance in stopping, only to fall victim and end up as a hostage, it is up to his young daughter to make things right once again.

Using a scroll her
Ziaria
Feb 19, 2010 Ziaria rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what I would think of this book at the beginning. It's a little out of my normal reading genre, but I have to say I really enjoyed this.

Your typical good vs. evil theme with all kinds of great characters along the way. The little girl who holds great power. A teenage boy sucked into the world to protect her, even though he's the furthest thing from a warrior. The nifty ability to pull things and people from the history books that came with him.

The book is full of rich characters, f
Lindsay
Nov 08, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fun Surprise!!

Defenders of the Scroll went above and beyond my expectations.

I normally don't enjoy fantasy/adventure books (or movies) but this particular book was highly recommended to me so I sat down and gave it a shot.

I never, ever imagined I would enjoy it as much as I did. I found I was staying up until the wee hours of the morn just to see what was going to happen. Suspenseful the whole way through!

Kate
Jun 11, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Defenders of the Scroll is an entertaining, non-stop action packed read. From page one, the reader is immersed in a incredible fantasy world. The world that Shiraz has created is fascinating, yet has believable aspects woven in. The plot held my attention, and kept me on the edge of my seat. One of the best things about this novel has be its characters. They are realistic, funny, and just so three dimensional. I loved getting to know them and watch their adventures unfold.

The only flaw to the no
Lindsay
Nov 08, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Defenders of the Scroll went above and beyond my expectations.

The characters in the book were unique yet lovable and I found myself relating to them on so many levels
April
Oct 04, 2009 April rated it did not like it
Oops, I left this one at my parents.
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2009
Alaine
Alaine marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2009
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2009
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2009
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2009
Shannan
Shannan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2009
Sensitivemuse
Sensitivemuse is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2009
Kevis Hendrickson
Kevis Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2009
S.
S. marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2009
Amy (Aye.Me?)
Amy (Aye.Me?) marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2010
Nathan
Nathan added it
Mar 05, 2011
bella
bella added it
May 11, 2012
Tracy Michelle
Tracy Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Jelsa Mepsey
Jelsa Mepsey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
Tif
Tif added it
Mar 12, 2013
Joewalbyoff
Joewalbyoff marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Cass
Cass marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Reshma
Reshma added it
Apr 15, 2016
Joanne Branine
Joanne Branine marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016