Start by marking “An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation” as Want to Read:
An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation

An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“I cannot go anywhere in America without people wanting to share their wartime experiences....The stories and the lessons have emerged from long-forgotten letters home, from reunions of old buddies and outfits, from unpublished diaries and home-published memoirs....As the stories in this album of memories remind us, it truly was an American experience, from the centers of ...more
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Album of Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Album of Memories

Cheryl
Found parts of this book very interesting and enjoyable. Bought the book because of the author's name and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.
Hannah Capron
Such a bittersweet book in complement of the Greatest Generation, which I have not read yet. It certainly reminds you of all who risked their lives for our country. I wish I could thank every one of them, including the ones who didn't make it home.
Marianne
We all talk about what is wrong in today's society. Read this and take a look back and learn from it. I'm afraid we're forgetting this history and there are so many lessons in it.
Paula Girard
Read after I read The Greatest Generation. It's a must read also.
Dolly
Jun 23, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation had many different points of view on the "Greatest Generation", mostly regarding the time of the Great Depression and WWII. A collection of letters and remembrances that were touching to read and gave a more personal look into this wonderful group of people who lived through a very tough time period and not only survived, but thrived.
Martha
Nov 24, 2008 Martha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that desire to learn about World War II
Recommended to Martha by: Found it myself
Brokow does an amazing job of weaving all the parts of World War II together- from the Depression to Pearl Harbor, the War in Europe, War in the Pacific, The Home Front and the ending- but in letters from people involved in each area- a true album of stories that is easy to read from the lives of people that lived them.
Readstoomuch
I am a lover of letters written by most anyone ... and I loved these letters written to Tom Brokaw from this collection of WWII vetrans. This book is very inspirational and contains much history.
Elliott
Decent book. It was mostly left over letters from people writing in after they read The Greatest Generation. However there are some good letters. Typically the longer the letter the better.
Scott Whitney
One of the best books I have read this year. It made me think of my grandfather who was in the war, and my time in Baghdad.
Jim Swike
Pretty much a complement book to the Greatest Generation. If you like the Greatest Generation, you will like this book.
Julie
I"m currently reading this, but I am not worried that I will be disappointed. I love Tom Brokaw and enjoyed his first two books.
Sean Evans
An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw (2001)
CD
Feel good history/journalism from Tom Brokaw the television journalist's P.O.V.
Mary
Getting better as I get through the book. I definitely want to finish it now!
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Steve Ossias
Steve Ossias marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Amanda Elizebeth
Amanda Elizebeth marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Pamela S. Porter
Pamela S. Porter marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jerald Gross
Jerald Gross marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jenna Cantino
Jenna Cantino is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
mark
mark marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII
  • My War
  • A Place In The Woods
  • The Golden Sky
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • The First Heroes: The Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid--America's First World War II Vict ory
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • Freedom Riders: John Lewis and Jim Zwerg on the Front Lines of the Civil Rights Movement
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • Pop Art
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • Scum of the Earth
  • Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her
  • Partners in Command: George Marshall & Dwight Eisenhower in War & Peace
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945
Thomas John Brokaw is an American television journalist and author, previously working on regularly scheduled news documentaries for the NBC television network, and is the former NBC News anchorman and managing editor of the program NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. His last broadcast as anchorman was on December 1, 2004, succeeded by Brian Williams in a carefully planned transition. In the later ...more
More about Tom Brokaw...
The Greatest Generation Boom! Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections The Time of Our Lives: A conversation about America; Who we are, where we've been, and where we need to go now, to recapture the American dream A Lucky Life Interrupted: A Memoir of Hope