Start by marking “An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation” as Want to Read:
An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation

An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation

A seventeen-year-old who enlisted in the army in 1941 writes to describe the Bataan Death March. Other members of the greatest generation describe their war — in such historic episodes as Guadalcanal, the D-Day invasion, the Battle of the Bulge, and Midway — as well as their life on the home front. In this beautiful American family album of stories, reflections, memorabili ...more
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Album of Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Album of Memories

Jesseca Wheaton
Aug 25, 2016 Jesseca Wheaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm now obsessed with getting these sort of books for research. So many small details included in the letters from men who were overseas are just astounding! Also, they cover many other things non-fiction books about the war seem to overlook, and it's a first-hand account. You can't get much better than that!
Cheryl
Found parts of this book very interesting and enjoyable. Bought the book because of the author's name and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed.
Kristen
I love love love reading about personal stories from WWII but I lost interest in this fairly quickly. Read like a textbook, just couldn't get through it.
Leanna
Mar 13, 2016 Leanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book, I made the passing acquaintance of a nearly 100-year-old man. Through conversation, I learned he was a veteran of WWII. This put him at the same age as my father (had my father still lived), likewise a WWII vet. I was born post-war, and my own dad never discussed his war-time experiences. This man, now a rare survivor, became a surrogate for my absent dad. I asked him all I could think of (without overwhelming him). What a day it became for me!
Reading this book was much
Dolly
Jun 23, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation had many different points of view on the "Greatest Generation", mostly regarding the time of the Great Depression and WWII. A collection of letters and remembrances that were touching to read and gave a more personal look into this wonderful group of people who lived through a very tough time period and not only survived, but thrived.
David Chabot
Mar 09, 2016 David Chabot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the book description before starting to read it but then I got pleasantly surprised. This book is basically an assemblage of personal letters sent to the author about his two previous books on the greatest generation. The author wrote about the WW2 generation and people felt compelled to thank him for it and share insights on his stories. It was truly humbling to read about the generation that gave so much and asked so little in return. It makes me wonder how we got to the point we ...more
Martha
Nov 24, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that desire to learn about World War II
Recommended to Martha by: Found it myself
Brokow does an amazing job of weaving all the parts of World War II together- from the Depression to Pearl Harbor, the War in Europe, War in the Pacific, The Home Front and the ending- but in letters from people involved in each area- a true album of stories that is easy to read from the lives of people that lived them.
Hannah
Such a bittersweet book in complement of the Greatest Generation, which I have not read yet. It certainly reminds you of all who risked their lives for our country. I wish I could thank every one of them, including the ones who didn't make it home.
Marianne
Aug 17, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all talk about what is wrong in today's society. Read this and take a look back and learn from it. I'm afraid we're forgetting this history and there are so many lessons in it.
Elliott
Decent book. It was mostly left over letters from people writing in after they read The Greatest Generation. However there are some good letters. Typically the longer the letter the better.
Scott Whitney
Dec 06, 2009 Scott Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read this year. It made me think of my grandfather who was in the war, and my time in Baghdad.
Jim Swike
Jul 07, 2013 Jim Swike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a complement book to the Greatest Generation. If you like the Greatest Generation, you will like this book.
Julie
Aug 09, 2007 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I"m currently reading this, but I am not worried that I will be disappointed. I love Tom Brokaw and enjoyed his first two books.
pianogal
This one went pretty dark. I felt like a lot of these correspondents in this one had major traumas as a result of the war. Hopefully being involved with this project helped them.
Readstoomuch
May 31, 2009 Readstoomuch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a lover of letters written by most anyone ... and I loved these letters written to Tom Brokaw from this collection of WWII vetrans. This book is very inspirational and contains much history.
Mary Lois
Mary Lois rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2014
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Patrick Flanagan
Patrick Flanagan rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Mae
Mae rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Steve Johnston
Steve Johnston rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Wilma
Wilma rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2007
Niccole
Niccole rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Nezka
Nezka rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
May 03, 2008
Nancy Ragias
Nancy Ragias rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Cissy
Cissy rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
  • My War
  • Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII
  • A Place In The Woods
  • The Golden Sky
  • The First Heroes: The Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid--America's First World War II Vict ory
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • Dear Mister Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?: Letters to Mister Rogers
  • Challenge for the Pacific: Guadalcanal: The Turning Point of the War
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • Partners in Command: George Marshall & Dwight Eisenhower in War & Peace
  • Ripple
  • The Boys of Pointe du Hoc: Ronald Reagan, D-Day, and the U.S. Army 2nd Ranger Battalion
  • Freedom Riders: John Lewis and Jim Zwerg on the Front Lines of the Civil Rights Movement
  • The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945
  • Americans at War
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
Thomas John Brokaw is an American television journalist and author, previously working on regularly scheduled news documentaries for the NBC television network, and is the former NBC News anchorman and managing editor of the program NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. His last broadcast as anchorman was on December 1, 2004, succeeded by Brian Williams in a carefully planned transition. In the later ...more
More about Tom Brokaw...