Start by marking “In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales

In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published September 8th 2009 by Cleis Press (first published March 12th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In Sleeping Beauty's Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Sleeping Beauty's Bed

Arec
As far as erotica novels go, this novel is one of the worst that I have ever read. Not only was it vague in any erotic descriptions the author decided to give use, but the actually erotica content was almost absent. It was like reading a fairy tale written for adults with all the gore and vulgarity instead the sunshine and smiles, although the happy endings were present.

When I want erotica, I want erotica. If I wanted some fairy tales told for adults instead children, I would read the Grimm's Fa
Jenn
Bridgett
I was surprised by how well written this book was. I was unfamiliar with some of the "original" tales but I enjoyed reading all the stories. I don't really have a favorite. I don't usually read erotic stories, but I didn't find it uncomfortable reading this. I also loved the historical explanation of the original story's origins before each tale.
Michelle
From the few stories in here that I did read, this was poorly done. Though the introduction was somewhat literary (there was some Western presumptions placed on interpretation) and the introductions of each story were intelligent enough, the stories themselves were hasty sketches, more like outlines of a fuller story. Furthermore, instead of being erotic, the language was lost in this strange way of not coming out and just saying cunt or vulva or something, instead we get words like "fuzzy pods" ...more
Gina
Just putting it out there for anyone who picked up this book thinking that it would be filled with steamy fairy tales: you're gonna be disappointed.

The fairy tales are twisted into ridiculous stories involving making frothy semen milkshakes in glass slippers, letting down a rope of pubic hair to the prince who's busily humping his wood against a tree in a fit of bewildering lust, etc. etc.

If you want to laugh at your favourite childhood character's penis/bush jungle/whatever, then this book is
Stacy
Beyond disappointing. While I am all for picking up a book that requires me to push my imagination, to read between the lines, to see and feel beyond the pages that are in my hand, if and when I pick up smut I expect smut. Reading this made me feel like there was a gaggle of uptight women who were almost afraid to admit that they might like sex, but would never use words that would clinically nor poetically describe it. I can see them blushing in their turtlenecks and overall dresses.
Sarra
I managed to stomach only about half the stories in this collection before just giving up. I didn't find the author's insistence on making every single character completely naive at all erotic. Even in a fantasy setting I couldn't figure out how an adult male would be surprised by an erection, as though he'd simply never had one before. Maybe it's the company I keep, but all of the guys I know figured that out somewhere around puberty.
Structure
Was at a bit of loss as I haven't read most of the tales in their original form. The preface to each take on the story was helpful, but I would have appreciated reference notes to back up her information. The erotic take on the stories aren't terrible, but not as engaging as I expected them to be. This works as a companion piece for someone as interested in fairy tales as I- that's about it.
Katrina
Liked the fact that this book had a bunch of different fairy tales in it. Thought it was pretty cool that it had the history of each fairy tale at the beginning of each story. Funny that all the stories have something to do with a sexual fantasy, never thought of it that way. Kind of makes you wonder why and how we started using them as stories to tell our children.
Jessica
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this collection of fairy tales aimed at adults. Don't get me wrong, there were sexual themes and language but I found this to be more humorous than erotic. The stories are well written though and I very much enjoyed the history of each tale that the author inserted before beginning each story.
Teresa
2.5 stars actually.

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Mitzi's other books I've read this year. Oddly, I found myself more enamored by the author's note on the research and changes she made that preludes each tale rather than the tales themselves.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book was a different take on all the fairy tales Disney had turned into HEA. This is a better interpretation.
Robbie
Its a collection of stories. Strange (even by my standards) not yet what I was expecting.
Tori
Not near as good as the Sleeping Beauty Chronicles if you're looking for erotic spins on stories.
Claire
Rapunzel's tower has a whole new meaning....
Joseph
Jul 19, 2012 Joseph marked it as to-read
Very intriguing...Can't Wait!
☠ Riot Monster ☠
☠ Riot Monster ☠ marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Tara
Tara is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Sneezep
Sneezep marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
DeNelle
DeNelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Carrington Shearer
Carrington Shearer is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Corinn
Corinn marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
lexie chapman
lexie chapman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Lilliana Jones
Lilliana Jones marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Best Women's Erotica 2009
  • Demon Lover (Fairytale Fantasies #2)
  • Got a Minute?: Sixty Second Erotica
  • Bitten: Dark Erotic Stories
  • Enchanted: Erotic Bedtime Stories For Women
  • Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • The Mammoth Book of Erotica: New Edition
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • Beauty or the Bitch
  • Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villainous Tales
  • Best Fetish Erotica
  • The Last Grimm: Red's Hood
  • Fairy Tale Lust: Erotic Fantasies for Women
Mitzi Szereto (http://mitziszereto.com) is an author and anthology editor of multi-genre fiction and non-fiction, has her own blog “Errant Ramblings: Mitzi Szereto’s Weblog” (http://mitziszereto.com/blog), and is creator/presenter of the Web TV channel “Mitzi TV” (http://mitziszereto.com/tv), which covers “quirky” London.

Her books include LOVE, LUST AND ZOMBIES; DARKER EDGE OF DESIRE: GOTHIC TALE
More about Mitzi Szereto...
Red Velvet and Absinthe Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts Thrones of Desire: Erotic Tales of Swords, Mist and Fire Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray: A Novel