In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales

In Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A traditional source of sexual titillation for adult readers, fairy tales historically featured licentious themes before being cleaned up for the consumption of children in modern times. Seasoned erotica author Mitzi Szereto restores the explicit sex in the 15 tales in this provocative book — and adds a few surprises of her own. Here the bawdy humor of French fable meets t...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Cleis Press (first published August 6th 2006)

Arec
As far as erotica novels go, this novel is one of the worst that I have ever read. Not only was it vague in any erotic descriptions the author decided to give use, but the actually erotica content was almost absent. It was like reading a fairy tale written for adults with all the gore and vulgarity instead the sunshine and smiles, although the happy endings were present.

When I want erotica, I want erotica. If I wanted some fairy tales told for adults instead children, I would read the Grimm's Fa...more
Stacy
Beyond disappointing. While I am all for picking up a book that requires me to push my imagination, to read between the lines, to see and feel beyond the pages that are in my hand, if and when I pick up smut I expect smut. Reading this made me feel like there was a gaggle of uptight women who were almost afraid to admit that they might like sex, but would never use words that would clinically nor poetically describe it. I can see them blushing in their turtlenecks and overall dresses.
Katrina
Liked the fact that this book had a bunch of different fairy tales in it. Thought it was pretty cool that it had the history of each fairy tale at the beginning of each story. Funny that all the stories have something to do with a sexual fantasy, never thought of it that way. Kind of makes you wonder why and how we started using them as stories to tell our children.
Jessica
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this collection of fairy tales aimed at adults. Don't get me wrong, there were sexual themes and language but I found this to be more humorous than erotic. The stories are well written though and I very much enjoyed the history of each tale that the author inserted before beginning each story.
Chrissy
2.5 stars actually.

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Mitzi's other books I've read this year. Oddly, I found myself more enamored by the author's note on the research and changes she made that preludes each tale rather than the tales themselves.
Aine
Dec 26, 2010 Aine marked it as anthology  ·  review of another edition
Read:
"Death Dealer" by Kelley Armstrong
Joseph
Jul 19, 2012 Joseph marked it as to-read
Very intriguing...Can't Wait!
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Brittany LeMoine
Brittany LeMoine marked it as to-read
Robin   Hartloff
Robin Hartloff marked it as to-read
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Carmie Thomas
Carmie Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Loryn Mackenzie Jones
Loryn Mackenzie Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sissy Mullins
Sissy Mullins marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Jennifer E. Loomis
Jennifer E. Loomis marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Shiloe Chentnik
Shiloe Chentnik marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Desdemona Van Tent
Desdemona Van Tent marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Michy
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Anne Logan
Anne Logan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Tiffani Warren
Tiffani Warren marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • By Blood We Live
  • Like A Charm
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Otherworld Primer
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • Hellbound Hearts
  • Vampires in Love
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • The Forbidden Chamber
Mitzi Szereto (http://mitziszereto.com) is an author and anthology editor of multi-genre fiction and non-fiction, has her own blog “Errant Ramblings: Mitzi Szereto’s Weblog” (http://mitziszereto.com/blog), and is creator/presenter of the Web TV channel “Mitzi TV” (http://mitziszereto.com/tv), which covers “quirky” London.

Her books include DARKER EDGE OF DESIRE: GOTHIC TALES OF ROMANCE; THE WILDE...more
More about Mitzi Szereto...
Red Velvet and Absinthe Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts Thrones of Desire: Erotic Tales of Swords, Mist and Fire Erotic Fairy Tales: A Romp through the Classics Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray: A Novel