The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)

The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms #4)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For high-schooler Yoko Nakajima, life has been fairly ordinary, until a young man tells her that they must return to their kingdom. Whisked away to an unearthly realm, Yoko is left with only a magical sword, a gem, and a million questions about her destiny.
Published March 2nd 2010 by TokyoPop (first published August 5th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Kingdoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Kingdoms

branewurms
This book just arrived and omg, y'all, this book is COMICALLY HUGE. I pulled it out of the box and sort of stared at it in disbelief and then burst out laughing. I was unaware the author had pulled a Harry Potter!

Okay, finally finished! Good god, this book is a brick, and I thought I would never finish it. That said, I don't see how it could have been any shorter, considering that it essentially consisted of three different, interwoven novels (Yoko's, Shoukei's, and Suzu's), until those narrativ...more
Three girls have praaaaablems. One's spolit, one's weak, and one's incompetent. What'll fix it? I know! Let's go see the Glory-King! (When you are the Glory-King, that's pretty easy, yeah?)

Along the way, everybody learns Valuable Life Lessons. And overthrows a corrupt government. (When the government is yours, that's not so easy, yeah?)

Skies of Dawn is a good blend of the politics, action, intrigue, annoying people with hearts of gold who turn out okay, and wacky anthropology we've grown to know...more
Pygmy
As with the other books in the series, it is awesome and fantastic, with an immersive world (down to creating units of measure and new birthing techniques with the social repurcussions!), a big over-arching plot of the troubles of ruling a kingdom, with the personal stories of three very different girls who converge at the height of the conflict.

I knocked a star off because this is by far the worst editing job Tokyopop has done to date. The other books had typos as well, but this one really surp...more
Tawnie
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The worst part about this series is having to wait another year for the next book.
Catherine
This is the fourth book in the Twelve Kingdoms series by Ono and is portrayed in the anime series (season 2) pretty much story for story. It's also long--looks like a brick without its cover--and has lots of random typos. I found a "w" all by itself once. But that's to be expected when your publisher is "Pop Fiction" and you're translated from Japanese. The story goes slowly, which is one of the reasons it's so enormous in print, but it goes and the ex-princess and the kaikyaku do finally grow u...more
Katie
The story in this book is just as good as in all the others. It's main problem is in the editing of the translation. There are numerous, obvious errors in both spelling and grammer. It can ruin the book for you if you don't learn to ignore the constant mistakes.
Terri Middagh
I loved the fantasy and culture of the books.
Joanna
This book is by far my favourite in the series, absolutely amazing in terms of both plot and (especially!) character development. Which is why I feel it would be unfair to lower my rating because of the quality of the translation/editing, even though it was quite outrageous: whole words and, I hear, in the case of the hardback edition, a whole chapter missing. So there, five stars no thanks to TokyoPop, and I recommend double-checking dubious passages with Eugene Woodbury's online translation.
Erika RS
f you've seen the Twelve Kingdoms anime series and wondered what in the world was going on in the last story arc, then you should read this book. Beyond that, I don't have much to say. This was an enjoyable piece of fiction. The editing of the Tokyo Pop translation left some things to be desired (e.g., sometimes characters went by multiple names and the wrong name was used given the context), but not so much to significantly impact my enjoyment of the story.
Cibele Andrade
It tells the events of the Shu On revolt, for the first part being the drifting and learning of the three main characters. It was a surprising book, for the anime version was far more boresome around the middle of the story, this one showing a lot more of details about the fight and the traditions of the kingdoms.
I read the Woodbury's translation, not the tokyopop version.
aaron
this book continues the adventures of yoko as she continues to learn how to reign in her new kingdom of kei. along with yoko two other girl's stories are told in this volume as yoko searches the kingdom in order to see what it is like. the two girls eventually meet up with the newly appointed king of kei and yoko gains two more allies in her new reign. i love this series and it continues to get better!
Ania
I didn't like this as much as the previous three books--got a little boring towards the middle when it had less action and more description of the traditions/cities/etc. I will say however that the ending had me completely hooked again. There was so much tension and buildup that I just couldn't put it down until I hit the last page. I'll definitely continue reading the series!
Jjlupa
A nice (not) ending to the series. There are 3 more books which will probably not be translated any time soon, much to our collective consternation.

This volume is easily as large as the first 3 books combined, and while I got a little confused with some of the similarities between different characters names, it was another compelling window into the Juu ni kokki.

Julissa
I was unable to find the actual book translated by TokyoPop (which is sad because now my collection is incomplete) so I read the Eugene Woodbury translation instead. It was well done and I enjoyed it. I only wish that a publishing company would pick these wonderful light-novels up so I can finally complete my collection. :[
Vaidah
This arc in the anime was far from my favorite, but the book had so much more to it that kept it interesting. They cut out sooo much for the anime and I feel it lost a lot of it's feeling. I still don't like Suzu so much but at least she wasn't as whiney as Youko, LOL.
Rachel  Of Questionable Luck
I think that this has been the best Twelve Kingdoms book so far. There was much more character development in this one, because the characters interacted with one another more. I'm eager for the fifth one to be translated.
Chelsea
I like how well this book ended without too many questions left upen to ponder. I however am incredibly disappointed that I will not be ale to complete the series because the rest of the series isn't going to be translated.
Alex  Wolff
This fantasy series was once an anime. People from Japan find themselves transported ton a magical medieval Asian-type world. It's much better than the last two, this fourth book seems to connect all the previous characters.
Iris
Although I really love the Twelve Kingdoms series, Skies of Dawn, was my least favorite. The editing was horrible and overall, the story didn't pack the magical punch of the other three books.
Isabel
Another good story, its sad that it received horrible editing and translation, much less no news of when the fifth chronicle will ever be released.
Amy
I really liked this volume! The only reason I didn't give it more stars is the bad editing!
Gwyneth Caryl
Gwyneth Caryl marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Arkara Boonthong
Arkara Boonthong marked it as to-read
Bence Bruncsics
Bence Bruncsics marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Iara Rodarte
Iara Rodarte marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • Basara, Vol. 8
  • The Stories of Ibis
  • The Book of Heroes
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 04 (Kekkaishi, #4)
  • Book Girl and the Famished Spirit
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
Kanji Name: 小野 不由美.

Fuyumi Ono (小野 不由美, Ono Fuyumi) is a Japanese novelist who is best known for writing the Twelve Kingdoms (十二国記, Juuni Kokuki) series, on which a popular anime is based. Her name after marriage is Fuyumi Uchida (内田不由美, Uchida Fuyumi), but she writes under her maiden name.

Ono was born in Nakatsu, Ōita, Kyūshū in 1960. She graduated from Ōtani University in Kyōto with a degree in B...more
More about Fuyumi Ono...
The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1) The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2) The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3) La Mer de L'ombre, Tome 2 (Les 12 Royaumes, #2) La Mer de L'ombre, Tome 1 (Les 12 Royaumes, #1)

“It doesn't take any effort to dream. It's a lot easier than looking at the problems in front of you and figuring out what you're going to do about them. But all you're doing is putting your problems up on a shelf for later, right? That doesn't make them go away.” 13 likes
“And that's when I realized that there's really two ways people cry. You cry when you're sorry for yourself, and then you cry when you are really sad. The tears you cry for yourself? Those are kid tears. You're crying because you want somebody to help you or pick you up. Your mom, your dad, the old lady next door... anyone.” 9 likes