Start by marking “The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)

The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms #4)

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  666 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
For high-schooler Yoko Nakajima, life has been fairly ordinary, until a young man tells her that they must return to their kingdom. Whisked away to an unearthly realm, Yoko is left with only a magical sword, a gem, and a million questions about her destiny.
Published March 2nd 2010 by TokyoPop (first published August 5th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Kingdoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Kingdoms

branewurms
This book just arrived and omg, y'all, this book is COMICALLY HUGE. I pulled it out of the box and sort of stared at it in disbelief and then burst out laughing. I was unaware the author had pulled a Harry Potter!

Okay, finally finished! Good god, this book is a brick, and I thought I would never finish it. That said, I don't see how it could have been any shorter, considering that it essentially consisted of three different, interwoven novels (Yoko's, Shoukei's, and Suzu's), until those narrativ
Pygmy
Apr 20, 2010 Pygmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, translated
As with the other books in the series, it is awesome and fantastic, with an immersive world (down to creating units of measure and new birthing techniques with the social repurcussions!), a big over-arching plot of the troubles of ruling a kingdom, with the personal stories of three very different girls who converge at the height of the conflict.

I knocked a star off because this is by far the worst editing job Tokyopop has done to date. The other books had typos as well, but this one really surp
Three girls have praaaaablems. One's spolit, one's weak, and one's incompetent. What'll fix it? I know! Let's go see the Glory-King! (When you are the Glory-King, that's pretty easy, yeah?)

Along the way, everybody learns Valuable Life Lessons. And overthrows a corrupt government. (When the government is yours, that's not so easy, yeah?)

Skies of Dawn is a good blend of the politics, action, intrigue, annoying people with hearts of gold who turn out okay, and wacky anthropology we've grown to know
Aelvana
Dec 20, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing
Born in Japan but swept into the Twelve Kingdoms at the age of fourteen, Suzu has known little but hardship. From her roots in poverty to three years of wandering as a constant outsider to a full hundred years in the service of a cruel mistress, she is convinced she is the most miserable person alive. Only the new Glory-King of Kei, a girl about her age who was also from Japan, can truly sympathize with her.

Shoukei was a pampered princess---until a rebellion ended the life of her father and moth
Joanna
Aug 07, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing
This book is by far my favourite in the series, absolutely amazing in terms of both plot and (especially!) character development. Which is why I feel it would be unfair to lower my rating because of the quality of the translation/editing, even though it was quite outrageous: whole words and, I hear, in the case of the hardback edition, a whole chapter missing. So there, five stars no thanks to TokyoPop, and I recommend double-checking dubious passages with Eugene Woodbury's online translation.
Kristen Sharpe
Finally! The continuation of Yoko's story that I've been waiting for since the first novel. And, it doesn't disappoint. The story is gripping, building the storylines of Yoko, Shoukei and Suzu toward their inevitable intersection and a splendid finale.

My only disappointment with the book isn't due to the actual story content, but rather to Tokyopop's release. There is a short chapter missing between chapters 16 and 17. This has been confirmed by Anime News Network, and the missing chapter can be
Melissa
Aug 06, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
I REALLY liked this, but like others said it does get bogged down with explaining how the world works toward the middle. Just very dense at time with explaining the politics. Which made it lose a star from me.

But more Yoko who I love. Two other lady characters are added in with their own story and arcs that ultimately collided with Yokos.

This is very politic and governance focused book. And I'm really sad more of it wasn't translated. We do get to see some of the characters we met in the first b
Tawnie
Mar 14, 2010 Tawnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. The worst part about this series is having to wait another year for the next book.
Dianna
Oct 24, 2014 Dianna rated it it was amazing
It's my second time reading this book and i enjoyed it as much as I did the first time round. This book was always my favorite arc of the anime and, and regardless of the medium, every time I get to the end when (view spoiler) I feel so satisfied and happy for Youko taking a strong step in the right direction.

I wish there were more Youko centric novels because I would love to read more about how she slowly reigns in the poverty and corru
Daisy
Jun 05, 2015 Daisy rated it liked it
Patricia
Very long & hard to keep all the characters straight - the story switches back & forth between 3 young women so often that I feel like I need a scoreboard to keep track of everything! Everyone has several different names & they all move around from kingdom to kingdom. This is the last of the Twelve Kingdoms light novels to be translated into English. I was hoping that someone would take over after Tokyopop went out of business, but nothing so far.
Catherine
Apr 08, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
This is the fourth book in the Twelve Kingdoms series by Ono and is portrayed in the anime series (season 2) pretty much story for story. It's also long--looks like a brick without its cover--and has lots of random typos. I found a "w" all by itself once. But that's to be expected when your publisher is "Pop Fiction" and you're translated from Japanese. The story goes slowly, which is one of the reasons it's so enormous in print, but it goes and the ex-princess and the kaikyaku do finally grow u ...more
Katie
Feb 01, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
The story in this book is just as good as in all the others. It's main problem is in the editing of the translation. There are numerous, obvious errors in both spelling and grammer. It can ruin the book for you if you don't learn to ignore the constant mistakes.
Marie Freundl
Jan 25, 2016 Marie Freundl rated it it was amazing
It filled in a lot of spots that book one left open. The story line was just as intricate as the first three were, but I have to say this one had a much faster pace then the first one, which was an improvement!
Terri Middagh
Aug 08, 2014 Terri Middagh rated it it was amazing
I loved the fantasy and culture of the books.
Mariana
Oct 01, 2014 Mariana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Love this book. I really want more.
Erika RS
May 29, 2012 Erika RS rated it liked it
f you've seen the Twelve Kingdoms anime series and wondered what in the world was going on in the last story arc, then you should read this book. Beyond that, I don't have much to say. This was an enjoyable piece of fiction. The editing of the Tokyo Pop translation left some things to be desired (e.g., sometimes characters went by multiple names and the wrong name was used given the context), but not so much to significantly impact my enjoyment of the story.
Cibele Andrade
Feb 27, 2014 Cibele Andrade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oriental, fantasy
It tells the events of the Shu On revolt, for the first part being the drifting and learning of the three main characters. It was a surprising book, for the anime version was far more boresome around the middle of the story, this one showing a lot more of details about the fight and the traditions of the kingdoms.
I read the Woodbury's translation, not the tokyopop version.
Emilou
Jun 10, 2015 Emilou rated it it was amazing
Awsome. I loved it just as much as when I read it the first time. However, I noticed this time around a lot of typos, which I'm guessing is because of the translator and editors of the company. If felt as if they were rushing the project. There was even a spot where there should have been Kanji characters, and instead there were computer symbols which was an error in the program. But anyway, I love this series. Very creative and engaging.
aaron
Mar 30, 2010 aaron rated it really liked it
this book continues the adventures of yoko as she continues to learn how to reign in her new kingdom of kei. along with yoko two other girl's stories are told in this volume as yoko searches the kingdom in order to see what it is like. the two girls eventually meet up with the newly appointed king of kei and yoko gains two more allies in her new reign. i love this series and it continues to get better!
Ania
Jun 03, 2011 Ania rated it liked it
I didn't like this as much as the previous three books--got a little boring towards the middle when it had less action and more description of the traditions/cities/etc. I will say however that the ending had me completely hooked again. There was so much tension and buildup that I just couldn't put it down until I hit the last page. I'll definitely continue reading the series!
Jjlupa
May 03, 2012 Jjlupa rated it it was amazing
A nice (not) ending to the series. There are 3 more books which will probably not be translated any time soon, much to our collective consternation.

This volume is easily as large as the first 3 books combined, and while I got a little confused with some of the similarities between different characters names, it was another compelling window into the Juu ni kokki.

Julissa
Aug 04, 2014 Julissa rated it really liked it
I was unable to find the actual book translated by TokyoPop (which is sad because now my collection is incomplete) so I read the Eugene Woodbury translation instead. It was well done and I enjoyed it. I only wish that a publishing company would pick these wonderful light-novels up so I can finally complete my collection. :[
enchance
Dec 18, 2015 enchance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is absolutely amazing! Fuyumi Ono wove together an intricate world of intrigue and fantasy surpassing that of other contemporary fantasy authors resulting in this astounding piece of work. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.

I definitely see myself rereading this again in the future.
Vaidah
Sep 15, 2010 Vaidah rated it really liked it
This arc in the anime was far from my favorite, but the book had so much more to it that kept it interesting. They cut out sooo much for the anime and I feel it lost a lot of it's feeling. I still don't like Suzu so much but at least she wasn't as whiney as Youko, LOL.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Love these books! I love fantasy/high fantasy and the norse and celtic cultures but sometimes its nice to see fantasy with other cultures.
Rachel  Of Questionable Luck
Aug 29, 2010 Rachel Of Questionable Luck rated it really liked it
I think that this has been the best Twelve Kingdoms book so far. There was much more character development in this one, because the characters interacted with one another more. I'm eager for the fifth one to be translated.
Chelsea
Apr 15, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
I like how well this book ended without too many questions left upen to ponder. I however am incredibly disappointed that I will not be ale to complete the series because the rest of the series isn't going to be translated.
Alex  Wolff
This fantasy series was once an anime. People from Japan find themselves transported ton a magical medieval Asian-type world. It's much better than the last two, this fourth book seems to connect all the previous characters.
Iris
Jul 27, 2010 Iris rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Although I really love the Twelve Kingdoms series, Skies of Dawn, was my least favorite. The editing was horrible and overall, the story didn't pack the magical punch of the other three books.
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • Basara, Vol. 7
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 11 (Kekkaishi, #11)
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
Kanji Name: 小野 不由美.

Fuyumi Ono (小野 不由美, Ono Fuyumi) is a Japanese novelist who is best known for writing the Twelve Kingdoms (十二国記, Juuni Kokuki) series, on which a popular anime is based. Her name after marriage is Fuyumi Uchida (内田不由美, Uchida Fuyumi), but she writes under her maiden name.

Ono was born in Nakatsu, Ōita, Kyūshū in 1960. She graduated from Ōtani University in Kyōto with a degree in B
More about Fuyumi Ono...

The Twelve Kingdoms (7 books)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • Les ailes du destin (Les 12 Royaumes, #5)
  • 黄昏の岸 暁の天 [Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora]
  • Le royaume de l'idéal (Les 12 Royaumes, #7)

“It doesn't take any effort to dream. It's a lot easier than looking at the problems in front of you and figuring out what you're going to do about them. But all you're doing is putting your problems up on a shelf for later, right? That doesn't make them go away.” 19 likes
“And that's when I realized that there's really two ways people cry. You cry when you're sorry for yourself, and then you cry when you are really sad. The tears you cry for yourself? Those are kid tears. You're crying because you want somebody to help you or pick you up. Your mom, your dad, the old lady next door... anyone.” 10 likes