Start by marking “Pop Babylon” as Want to Read:
Pop Babylon

Pop Babylon

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
How do you make it as a pop star? Why does one boy band make it big and another disappear off the pages of the magazines altogether? Why do girls cost more than boys? And who should you sleep with to get to number one?

Packed with scandal and intrigue, Pop Babylon takes you to the dark heart of one of the world's most wicked and secretive industries. It's a world where mone
Published June 18th 2009 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Babylon

Sam Still Reading
Jan 01, 2012 Sam Still Reading rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want an insight into the pop industry
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read other Babylon books
Pop Babylon is another book in the Babylon series that includes ‘real-life’ experiences from hotels, hospitals, aeroplanes, resorts and now the world of pop. These books are light reading and somewhat hit and miss for me. I loved Hotel and Hospital, but not Beach as much. Why do I keep reading them? Well, for two reasons: they’re easy to pick up and put down when I’m working extra long hours and I’m nosy – I want to know what’s really going on. Plus, these books have been in abundance recently a ...more
Peter Jansens
Once there was a time when one bloke met another bloke on the train, carrying some blues records under the arm, and, with the help of some other unemployed friends a successful rock band was born, although rock was often the last thing on their mind. "I hope they don’t think we’re a rock’n roll outfit", said Mick Jagger when he announced the very first Marquee outing of his little rhythm and blues band in Jazz News. If you would like to know, it was on Thursday, July 12, 1962 and the lineup was: ...more
Chris Bertenshaw

I love the Babylon series. They're informative, funny, well-written, and always about areas that I know are going to have interesting stories. Pop Babylon is no exception, as you can well imagine the tales of celebrity-excess that are brought up within it's pages, as we follow the fictional (but based on real events told to the author by those in the business) year in the life of a band manager, as he tries to put together a new boy band to rise to the top of the charts.

Imogen Edwards-Jones has
Petra X
Sometimes a 5-star book is a well-written, spellbinding story, sometimes its a quick, fast read of a subject that leaves you with your mouth open. Wow, could this sort of shit really be true? Its so phenomenally out of my sphere of experience that I can't wait to turn the page to see what is the next step on the road to fame (and its great that the book names names).
Alarra
Nothing new, and I love that this is filed under non-fiction at my local library. True scandalous tales and statistics from the music industry fictionalised as a year in the life of a manufactured boy-band. I think she'd be better off writing these as actual non-fiction exposes, because the fictional prose is crappy.
Sue_o
Aug 22, 2014 Sue_o rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast, fast, fast pop read - I read this in two days on my commute. Imogen Edwards-Jones was on to a winner when she invented the Babylon series, in which she writes a fictionalised, insider's view of an industry that intrigues us, by interviewing a source or two. Pop Babylon's protagonist is fun: a pretty gross, lazy, immoral record industry manager who's creating a boy band to cash in on what is already a dying craze. The book itself feels a bit lazy, but there are some great, cynical m ...more
Natalia Lena
Popularne przysłowie mówi, że ciekawość to pierwszy stopień do piekła. Jeśli to rzeczywiście prawda, to Imogen Edwards-Jones do piekła zjeżdża windą. Ta popularna brytyjska pisarka i dziennikarka jest autorką bestsellerowej serii ,,Babylon”, na którą, jak do tej pory, składają się następujące tytuły: Hotel Babylon, Air Babylon, Fashion Babylon, Beach Babylon, Pop Babylon, Wedding Babylon i Hospital Babylon*. Jak widać, spektrum jej zainteresowań obejmuje chyba absolutnie wszystkie branże.
W tej r
Femke
Jul 06, 2011 Femke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, roman
Ik kocht dit boek in een 2+1 aanbieding en dus had ik al een idee dat het niet zo heel veel soeps zou zijn. En ik kreeg gelijk. Je leest over een boyband en ziet hoe hun de popmuziek proberen te veroveren, best leuk hoor zo'n kijkje achter de schermen maar naar een tijdje wil je gewoon een echt verhaal en dit zit er helaas niet in... De karakters zijn eigenlijk ook een beetje dubieus en je weet gewoon niet wat je van ze moet denken. Na een tijd begint het gewoon te vervelen om te lezen, het is i ...more
Nicki
Feb 04, 2013 Nicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of the "Babylon" series. I really enjoyed the air one, beach was so-so, this one is really quite tame.
I didn't like the main character at all. Cringeable cliched, horrible person I didn't enjoy reading about. The boy band was marginally better, would have preferred to read more about them, maybe with more detail to their personal lives and how "fame" was effecting them.
Some interesting tidbits about real life bands and their excesses. That part I found good. Really a true tell all
Anna Domańska
A bunch of anecdotes cobbled together into a cutesy book. Very quick and satisfying, feels like a long magazine article.
Good fast read for anyone slightly interested in the pop industry, especially manufactured bands. This would be better as a collection of "guess who don't sue" anecdotes, it is a bit thinly held together at times.
Jonathan
Jul 17, 2009 Jonathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone
Read this on a plane over a year ago. Despite the promises of insider insights this is just a novel of a year in the life of a band's manager. The band are idiots who have a great time (i.e. sex and drugs etc.) before resenting their manager, believing their own publicity etc. etc. An easy read, I had forgotten I had read it.
Gary Firkin
I got half way through and all the name dropping and repeated wording just killed it for me. Its fun to start with but sort of teeters off. I got halfway through, whereas as air Babylon I got most of the way through. I like a funny book too but just not this one. . Same style same Author.
Carlito
Nov 01, 2010 Carlito rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pathetic. The plot is only used so the author could fill in with the bits and pieces of what famous people are like sometimes or how do they behave. Nothing that you didn't already know or couldn't assume just by reading daily newspapers or news sites.

k.
Louise
Jul 05, 2011 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to this book, but I was a little disopointed by it. It was just full of lots of pop star "cliches" and the band were horrible. I did learn a few things, however it isn't the best book I have ever read.
Monica
Jan 22, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting fictionalized look inside the world of the music industry. If this doesn't make people have second thoughts about becoming a musician, they have nerves of steel.
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
One of the weaker Babylon books. It was vaguely interesting. Anyone outside the UK may just struggle with the famous names mentioned, as a lot of them are UK based.
madsenmel
Not as good as Hotel Babylon, and if you're not up on your British pop stars and slang, then some of this book won't make any sense...
Christine Harris

Couldn't finish as felt it was so awful - not up to the same standard as the other titles in the Babylon series!
sharon
Nov 05, 2009 sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
totally trashy but kind of fun. would have been more fun if i knew anything about various british boy bands. which i do not.
Iman Hasanbegovic
The story is not so interesting, but the facts are.
Nadia Yustina
this could be your reference on how to manage a boyband
Audrey
Jan 26, 2012 Audrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man, I have *got* to stop reading these books.
Iris
Oct 16, 2012 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch
I loved these series!
Farah
Farah marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
mairead nugent
mairead nugent rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Hayley
Hayley rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Agnieszka
Agnieszka marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ashley-emma Woodhouse
Ashley-emma Woodhouse rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Lisa O'Neill
Lisa O'Neill rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present
  • Party Animals: A Hollywood Tale of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll Starring the Fabulous Allan Carr
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Lady on the Hill: How Biltmore Estate Became an American Icon
  • Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort
  • Consumed (Lost in Oblivion, #3.5)
  • Softer Than Steel (Love & Steel, #2)
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39
  • Have Mother, Will Travel: A Mother and Daughter Discover Themselves, Each Other, and the World
  • The Philosopher's Apprentice: A Novel
  • Forget
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • Childstar 3 (Childstar, #3)
  • Untwisted (Lost in Oblivion, #2.5)
  • Flesh Tones
  • "Why Do I Love These People?": Understanding, Surviving, and Creating Your Own Family
  • The Night Train