Start by marking “Many Children Left Behind: How the No Child Left Behind Act Is Damaging Our Children and Our Schools” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A citizens' guide to what's wrong with the nation's radical federal education legislation—and a passionate call for change

The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) has become the most fiercely debated education issue of this election year, and it will be at the center of the national conversation about schools for the foreseeable future. NCLB, signed into law in 2002, purports t
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Many Children Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Many Children Left Behind

Kris
Jul 03, 2010 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009

“For the cost of 1 percent of the Bush administration’s 2003 tax cuts or the equivalent of one week’s combat cost during the war in Iraq, we could provide top quality preparation for more than 150,000 new teachers to teach in high-need schools and mentor all of the new teachers who are hired over the next 5 years.” (Page 30)

“ . . a recognition that public education is in many ways the very foundation of our democracy. . . It is the nation’s most valuable public resource for creating common gro
Jill
Oct 14, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great series of essays on the effects of No Child Left Behind on the school lives and educational communities of American kids. It's a really short, easy, and accessible read, and the authors really deftly synthesize the effects of NCLB on a variety of spheres from the pedagogical and instructional to the social, societal, and political. Many of the authors even provide a fairly balanced and empathic viewpoint of NCLB - which I don't think is an obligation, but I appreciated the basic respect ...more
Ranya
Dec 12, 2007 Ranya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in education
Anyone interested in the status of education in the US needs to read this book... While it may seem that No Child Left Behind (NCLB) is a great thing, especially to someone who hasn't talked to teachers or read on their own on the topic, it is actually the DEVIL. Okay, it's not THAT bad, but its effects could mean the end of public education as we know it. It punishes students and communities that need help the most, and actually makes worse the very problems it sets out to solve. This book cont ...more
Lizzy
Oct 30, 2015 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book speaks Truth!
Kate
Nov 24, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the perspectives of the experts contributing chapters here but I'm left looking for some literature from the other side so that I can have a more balanced view of what SHOULD be happening in education. These essays were extremely well-written and persuasive singly and as a collection, however.
Murphyemilye
This was a good introduction to NCLB. Every chapter was refreshing because each was written by a different scholar and provided a new perspective on NCLB and its impact on education. Overall this book was well compiled and interesting.
Chelley
Sep 13, 2011 Chelley rated it really liked it
The democratic process is being destroyed because of the NCLB Act and it's insistence on using standardized test scores to judge schools. The whole point is to privatize public schools and for someone to make a profit off of them.
Jeffrey Howard
May 30, 2012 Jeffrey Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, education
A great book for making sense of No Child Left Behind, and how it has become one of the greatest factors in pushing great teachers out of education, and leading to the demise of public education one school at a time.
Nicole
Jul 27, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Ever wonder about the current state of our educational system and how it got that way? Read this book, keep in mind the constant and dramatic cuts in funding, and you'll have a pretty good idea.
Kristi
Sep 18, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening behind the scenes view of what NCLB has meant for schools, children, teachers and society. Clearly written, mostly factual but written with a definite political bias.
Ross Bussell
It wasn't quite what I was expecting, the critique fell short, and I felt like it almost tried to apologize for NCLB instead of demand change.
E
Sep 22, 2011 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not reliable as a policy reference, but very useful for comparing current policy and educational politics with the pre-NCLB policy situation.
Lisa
May 06, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
A very important book to read, especially given the Duncan/Obama effort to create a new version of NCLB style of policies and programs.
Carlos
Sep 06, 2010 Carlos rated it really liked it
A great starting point, although as an outsider to this dynamic field, it's hard to track what's changed or hasn't since its writing.
Ellen
Jul 17, 2009 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shocking expose of the time bomb in education that is NCLB.
Jonna Higgins-Freese
recommended by Noddings
Jay
Mar 19, 2008 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teachers must read this book!
Jeniea Howard
Jeniea Howard is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Yaya Ut
Yaya Ut marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
E. Anderson
E. Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
LDeatcu
LDeatcu marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Kelley K Scanlon
Kelley K Scanlon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Amie
Amie added it
Jan 18, 2016
Robert Hubbard
Robert Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
  • What Does It Mean to Be Well Educated?: And More Essays on Standards, Grading, and Other Follies
  • Young, Gifted, and Black: Promoting High Achievement among African-American Students
  • Beer and Circus: How Big-Time College Sports Has Crippled Undergraduate Education
  • The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions
  • The Last Professors: The Corporate University and the Fate of the Humanities
  • The Essential Conversation: What Parents and Teachers Can Learn from Each Other
  • Teaching for Joy and Justice: Re-Imagining the Language Arts Classroom
  • Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School
  • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom
  • 'I Won't Learn from You': And Other Thoughts on Creative Maladjustment
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Improbable Scholars: The Rebirth of a Great American School System and a Strategy for America's Schools
  • Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Experience and Education
  • Ms. Moffett's First Year: Becoming a Teacher in America
  • Conscientious Objections: Stirring Up Trouble About Language, Technology and Education
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World