The Speed of Trust

The Speed of Trust

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  7,797 ratings  ·  291 reviews
In this powerful audio book, Stephen M.R. Covey articulates why trust has become the key leadership competency of the new global economy. Covey convincingly makes the case that trust is a measurable accelerator to performance and that when trust goes up, speed also goes up while cost comes down, producing what Covey calls a "trust dividend." Covey reveals the 13 Behaviors...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Janet
Stephen M.R. Covey, the son, was head of training for his father's company.

The book is needlessly long and I didn't need to be sold on the value of trust (which is why the book is so long), hence, why the 3 star rating. Long sections of the book are very general and boring and I kept thinking how the book could have been netted down. I recommend the book, recommend skimming the boring examples and felt that along with the Economics of Trust, all that a reader needs on the important subject of t...more
Tim
The bulk of this short book might be characterized as "moral philosophy 101." It will be informative for moral imbeciles and those (many, by the measure of apparent business ethics) who don't believe that personal and business ethics have any connection. It's a basic outline of how to extend and create trust, and how to reciprocate when you receive it. Formulaic pop psychology.

The value of the book for me was in the first chapter. It makes the case for trust as a business value, that high trust...more
Jacob
This phenomenal book has been out less than a year but I thought it just as good if not a better read than 7 Habits written by his father. This book so perfectly describes trust, breaks it down and shows how relevant it is in business, home, and all other arenas of life.
Craig
In the last few weeks, I've been traveling quite a lot—Brazil, Macedonia, Serbia, and throughout the U.S. Since I have a ritual that involves reading on planes, I've been able to get through a few books I've been hearing quite a bit about. The three I want to tell you about here, are all amazing. If you saw my copies, you'd see dog-eared pages, underlining, exclamation points and question marks in the margins. I really had no idea how much I'd be affected by each one, and completely surprised by...more
Gabriela
According to Stephen M.R. Covey, the new economy is looking for businesses and individuals who can practice the virtue of trust. The Speed of Trust shows the importance of trust and how the rate at which it is built can help businesses win over clients and employees too. The book proposes that establishing trust is essential to creating high performing companies.

Gone are the days when companies would be secretive, make bad decisions and get away with it. Today's economy is increasingly becoming...more
Carlo
Oct 06, 2011 Carlo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
In The Speed of Trust, Stephen M. R. Covey (son of renowned author Stephen R. Covey (The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People)), delves into the mechanics of trust, an element, which in spite the attention we think ourselves giving it, remains to a great extend underestimated. According to Covey, trust is the keystone for every relationship in our lives, including our relationship with ourselves.

The author does a great job in showing that trust is something we can recover. I believe this to...more
Ryan Dejonghe
This book was distributed at work like candy at a Halloween party. New buzz words were written on the board and everyone was trust falling one another. The problem still remains: there’s more falling than trusting.

I enjoyed the first chapter and agree with the author’s sentiments: as trust improves, cost goes down and speed increases. I believe in Covey’s see, speak, behave architecture. The problem begins when Covey stretches the first chapter into over three hundred pages based on an analogy t...more
Claudia
While Covey (son of the 'famous' Covey)sets out a great argument for trust in businesses, I, of course, look through the lens of an educator. I think the part that resonated the most with me was the first section on self trust, and the section about organizational trust. Sometimes I found the parallels, sometimes I didn't.

Self trust...believing in your mission, your purpose. Trusting YOURSELF to make good decisions, to reach out to others, to inspire trust. That is exactly what should happen in...more
K.D. Absolutely
May 04, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My former boss
Shelves: business
This book makes a lot of common sense. Productivity in the workplace is indeed based on trust. If you are not trusted by your boss, he will check or will let your colleague check your work. However, the book did not talk much about how to re-gain trust which can easily be lost in the day-to-day office environment. Everyone starts with a clean slate with favorable (that’s why we are hired in the first place) trust index. However, even if we always work diligently, there will always come a time wh...more
Kelly
This has to be one of the lamest books I've ever read mostly because I can see corporations across America eating it up. I'm reading it for a Leadership Training class at present. The "CORE" argument of of the book is that one must increase trust with others in order to make relationships and work efficient and cost effective. I bet this book is handed out for free to employees businesses like it so much.

Ultimately, the book reads like a tea party opus. The book has some silly statements that r...more
Deborah
Swashbooked, 10 minutes + discussion, Christmas 2012, with @ipreuss.

Why I picked it: I heard about it from a respected colleague, and I would like to recommend it to clients dealing with toxic work environments.

Notes:

Format: paperback, impossible to lay flat to read hands-free.

Chapter: Nothing is as Fast as the Speed of Trust
"Contrary to... we CAN increase trust, and faster than we think"
Trust = confidence. Opposite, distrust = suspicion.

Sections: Self-trust, Relationship-trust, Stakeholder-tr...more
Greg
The message this book brings is outstanding! Covey identifies and discusses four core elements of trust -- integrity, intent, capabilities, and results. In some sense, he has simply redefined trust from what others have said about it. While I don't necessarily disagree, it is to some extent a matter of semantics. From that discussion of the core of trust, though, he moves into a very useful and relevant discussion and justification of 13 behaviors that create or sustain trust. Moving on, Covey t...more
Ruth Hinds
Amazing book! It explains what TRUST actually is- what it is made up of. It helps you understand why you do or do not trust someone. It also teaches how to extend "smart trust" to others, and make yourself more trustworthy so others can trust you. Everything is broken down so clearly and there are so many action items so you can apply what you are learning right away! One of my favorite books I've read! And I wasn't expecting that.
Bob Wallner
GREAT BOOK.

Every book, every seminar and every person who talks about TPS says that Respect for people is paramount to creating a successful learning organization. But I've never really been sure what respect for people meant. Do people always get their way? Are people not disciplined? Are there no rules?

I really wasn't sure. After listening and taking copious notes from this book I believe that I have taken a giant step forward in understanding what it means to respect people.

The Speed of Trust...more
Jack Perry
You either trust a person, a company and team or you don't-trust is either zero or 100%. The author, Stephen M.R. Covey, is the son of the celebrated best selling author Stephen Covey who gave us The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. With The Speed of trust you are guided through the process of building trust with individuals and organizations. You want the trust factor on your side in your business and personal life--it is a competitive advantage.
And trust or the lack of it does change every...more
Tim Z
One of the best books I have read in a long time.I only wish I would have read it prior to my last tour on the Theodore Roosevelt. Great quote from the book.

It's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.
~Roy Disney
Eric Rickey
My concern with this book revolves around the following question.

Will we truly benefit from ethics that are adopted merely for the sake of building trust in order to increase speed and reduce cost?
Phyrman21
This book should be required reading for every senior in college. The lessons herein for the business world are the "fix our country" type! Any leader or perspective leader should read this book and implement the principles contained therein. Covey is masterful at identifying simple things that we all know, but explaining the principles in such a way as to emphasize their deep importance in all of our lives in dealing with people.

Covey also provides step by step processes to achieving the liste...more
Jason

This was an excellent book, I would almost put it ahead of his father's classic "7 Habits".
Jason Donev
This is quite possibly the worst non-fiction book that I've ever read. The book holds corporate CEOs up as paragons of integrity, morality and wisdom. The author has a trivial understanding of trust and the book is pure fluff. The only positive thing is that reading it caused me to come with what I believe about trust to combat the obvious fallacies in this book.

The book is a cry for us to trust the administration whatever company we work for as always making decisions for our own well being. I...more
Robin Templin
life changer
top ten contender
Mohammed H
Libraries are said to be a homes sign of wealth. This book is a gem in any library! It should be in every home and every business. It was written by the son of the writer Dr. Stephen Covey RIP who wrote "The seven habits of highly effective people"

Stephen M.R Covey" The SON" wrote this gem about one word " TRUST " How can someone write that much about one word is beyond me! but let me tell you every single word in this book will teach you many lesson for your life. My notes have extended into a...more
Kent
As is so often the case with books in the leadership genre, the concepts in The Speed of Trust are generally self-evident to most thinking people and come down to applying a common sense approach to one's interactions with others. That is not to diminish the importance of the message and content in this book. On the contrary, I find it significantly useful and motivational, but it isn't quite surprising or revelatory in nature.

I liked the Five Waves of Trust Model and found it to be a good overv...more
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "In fact, both my personal life and my work as a business practitioner over the past 20 years have convinced me that there is a lot we can do about it. We can increase trust—much faster than we might think—and doing so will have a huge impact, both in the quality of our lives and in the results we're able to achieve."

2- "Simply put, trust means confidence. The opposite of trust—distrust— is suspicion. When you trust peo...more
Christy G
I dont read very often from this genre, but this book came highly recommended from someone i have esteemed on their trustworthiness and integrity. Turns out i liked it. This book offers great insight on how to be a better human, friend, spouse, manager, employer, employee and business owner. everyone should implement the principles taught here. I listened to the audio and i'd recommend reading a hard copy because he follows an outline where he goes in depth on 4 core essentials and 13 trust demo...more
Cathy Allen
Powerful, powerful, powerful! Before reading this book, I did not know anything about trust except that it is awfully difficult to rebuild once it has been violated. I never thought about the nature of trust, when and how we come to trust and distrust others, or when and how others come to trust or distrust us. But it turns out that this is very rich subject to explore. Covey's breakdown of the component parts of trust is clear and memorable, the very essence of excellent teaching. The action st...more
Joseph
both skeptics and believers cld benefit from this book - it gives some understanding of one universal principal - trust

it has deeper meaning than what we usually connote the word with. i believe it shd not be confused with naivety because it's not. Covey argues (and i m convinced) that ultimately, trust pays off...

it sheds some light to my previous understanding of trust - that different people have different trust level:

(1) how do we set our trust in otrs? by (a) see/watch them (b) hear abt it...more
Sandee
There is some good information in here but fundamentally I think this was an author taking advantage of what is trending in the market. Trust fits much better into the set of attributes required for leadership rather than something that exists in isolation. We are studying his book as a group and the general consensus is that business relationships rarely fail on the loss of trust alone. And re-establishing these relationships takes more than just practicing the guides in this book.

I believe Mr....more
In business, the key to prospering nowadays is more and more dependent on being able to complete things quickly. Distrustful environments, people, etc create a tax that slows everything down. If you want to succeed in the emerging economy you must understand how trust affect everything.

There are two main components to trust. The first is character, and this is what people usually focus on. Character is important. A lack of character can destroy trust that took years to build. The other important...more
Sherry
Overall, the book has good ideas and useful information. Many things to use and think about. It would benefit greatly from a new edition, as many of the people the author quotes as trustworthy individuals and leaders have since been indicted or convicted.
To read 2 4 Jul 26, 2014 10:44AM
  • Principle Centered Leadership
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Rascal: Making a Difference by Becoming an Original Character
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Leading Change
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It, Revised Edition
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset
  • Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service
  • The Future of Management
20379
Stephen M. R. Covey is co-founder and CEO of CoveyLink Worldwide. A sought-after and compelling keynote speaker and advisor on trust, leadership, ethics, and high performance, he speaks to audiences around the world. He is the author of The SPEED of Trust, a groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting book that challenges our age-old assumption that trust is merely a soft, social virtue and instead demon...more
More about Stephen M.R. Covey...
Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World Conversations on Trust [With Earbuds] SPEED of Trust Summarized for Busy People (Part1) Skorostʹ Doverii︠a︡: To, Chto Meni︠a︡et Vsë The SPEED of Trust 1st (first) edition

“We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behaviour.” 65 likes
“The first job of a leader—at work or at home—is to inspire trust. It’s to bring out the best in people by entrusting them with meaningful stewardships, and to create an environment in which high-trust interaction inspires creativity and possibility.” 11 likes