Start by marking “Brain” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Robin Cook

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  5,242 ratings  ·  119 reviews

Two doctors place their lives in jeopardy to find out why a young woman died on the operating table-and had her brain secretly removed.

Published June 28th 1997 by Dutton Books (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain

Feb 03, 2015 Saara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of (medical) thrillers
Let me begin by stating that I did enjoy this book significantly. I for some reason had a preconceived notion that the story would be much trashier than it turned out to be, which might have influenced my opinion in a positive way; I was pleasantly surprised, ergo inclined toward a kinder review. My grievances are, in the end, minor ones, even though they did affect my reading experiences negatively.

Brain takes place over three days in the life of Dr. Martin Philips, a radiologist who has fared
The story starts with a girl Kathereine Collins going to a GYN clinic where she undergoes treatment for some Gynac ailments. She has starts having seizures where she smells a repulsive but familiar odor and then loses consciousness. As the book goes on it tells about other young women around the same age with the exact same symptoms. The story's main character is Dr. Martin Phillips, a doctor in neurophysiology at a New York City hospital. He is working on a self-diagnostic x-ray machine along ...more
Ryan Lieske
Ridiculous and fun. I wish all of Cook's novels were this whacked out and macabre. It's no "Coma", but it has the same outlandish thrills as "Mindbend" and "Shock", which is fine by me. I don't expect great literature from Dr. Cook; hell, I don't even expect great storytelling. But "Brain" has just the right amount of B-movie silliness to keep the pages turning. And, since the book was released in the early 80s, a lot of it is hilariously outdated (which, obviously, adds to the fun).
Brain was entertaining, intelligent and completely ridiculous in equal measures. I admit I enjoyed it, despite never buying the premise for a single moment. Cook has a talent and it's for telling a good yarn that keeps the pace going. It's not so much that he's believable or a good writer (although I've read worse working in the thriller genre). Also, I think I understand TeeVee shows like House a little better having read this.
A shocking medical thriller!
Ежко Таралежко
Неочаквано за мен много слаб роман на Робин Кук. Може би не е имал вдъхновение. Може би е бил на слаби наркотици. Може би се е олял в стремежите си да създаде елегия против аморалните способи във фармацевтиката и медицината, и вечното си оплюване на системата за здравеопазване в САЩ (а какво ли би казал за нашата?). Не знам. Романът е скучен, муден, липсва му заряд и всичко което се случва, се случва в около двадесет страници към края на книгата - останалото са нравоучителни философии и необясни ...more
Debbie Bradford
It may have been outrageous as some people have suggested but the prologue in the end bothered me. It certainly makes one think and wonder about human experimentation and exploitation. Truly was a good read with the afterthoughts compelling.
In ‘Brain’, an ambitious doctor Martin Phillips gradually realizes that something sinister is happening at the hospital while he’s working on a project with a friend. Several girls visit the gynaecology clinic and begin experiencing the same symptoms shortly after, leading to unexplained disappearances.

I don’t usually actively search for books featuring heavy medical content but the storyline for ‘Brain’ was way too irresistible for me to pass up the opportunity to read it. Suffice to say, I wa

Robin Cook külliyatına olan merakım üzerine okuduğum kitap Beyin. Yemin olsun bu adam aynı anlatım tekniği ile akademik kitaplar yazsa her eve bir doktor hayalimiz gerçek olur. Bir beyin ameliyatı bu kadar mı insanı sıkmadan detaylı ve sanki ameliyat edilen kendi beyninizmiş gibi hissettirecek kadar gerçekçi anlatılır. Perfect. Ancak tüm bu hararaetli anlatıma karşın üstadın bir iki kitabında görülen "Amaaaan, yeter bu kadar yazdım. Hadi artık bitireyim" t
Nara Santos
Eu me lembro de ter lidos dois livros desse autor (Coma e Erro Médico) há uns 20 anos atrás... Mas não se tornaram meus livros preferidos pq, apesar de ter gostado do enredo, algo me incomodou. Depois de tantos anos, com a leitura de Cérebro, percebi o que me incomodava... Cook é um prepotente, que se acha um profundo conhecedor da Medicina, mas que tenho certeza que não tem vocação nenhuma para tal, e, o pior de tudo, um racista de marca maior disfarçado de tolerante! Seus personagens principai ...more
Sherri Losee
Stilted narrative, sterotypical characters . . . Stick with medicine, Dr. Cook.
Robin Cook returns to the medical thriller format in his fourth outing, "Brain".

When Dr. Martin Phillips notices some strange goings-on around the New York hospital he works in, he begins to look into it. When researching a young lady who died unexpectedly during surgery, he discovers that her brain has been removed. And that's only scratching the surface...

While I enoyed this book for periods of thrilling action sequences, strange discoveries, and the conspiracy element that emerges in the plot
D.K. Cherian
Too often we have come across news articles where humans have been exploited knowingly or unknowingly, in the name of scientific research. Robin Cook tackles this very issue in his novel, Brain.
A series of mysteriously deaths have occurred amongst young females and the only common factor seems to be that they have all had atypical pap smear results. Through chance, a radiologist stumbles upon one of the victims through her X-Ray, with the problem in the brain being highlighted by a new computer
A gripping medical thriller!

The overall plot of the novel was interesting and fast-paced. Having worked in a research hospital milieu and aware of the bioethical concerns of using animal and human subjects for medical research, I found this story and it's outcome somewhat plausible.

The ending felt a bit rushed and left me wanting for more. I had a different end in mind. Also, delving into the life and background of some of the characters was unnecessary and could have done w
I read Cook's book in Italian when I was 20-something and I'm re-reading them in English 10 years leater. Compared to Grey's anatomy and other medical pop culture ideas, the technical aspect of this book seems updated. The ethical implications, however, is not, and that's what I like.
Keep also in mind that I faint in front of needles and have amild sense of nausea every time I enter a clinic/hospital: for me these novels are quite interesting horror stories.
Read several of Robin Cook's medical thrillers when I was 13-14 years old, and I liked them a lot (even if they were quite simplistic, and similar to each other). Brain was my favourite - it's about a physician uncovering an unsettling conspiracy in a medical research center, where young patients are admitted with strange psychological symptoms, and later disappear. A book I've read several times (even if I don't normally re-read books).
Avid Reader
In this computer era and moral ethics sliding downhill, I have no problem envisioning something like this taking place in today's world. (with the people involved in it too but I won't put it since it would be a spoiler alert)

It was written in a manner that I wish I had a BP machine at home and it could monitor as I read. I found myself so engrossed in it and at times of danger holding my breath and reading faster hoping he'd be able to get away quicker! LMAO (just so you know, that's highly ir
Typical, medical thriller by Cook. An easy read for my daily, work commute. If I were to review the Polish translation that I've read, the book wouldn't get more than one star though. I'm surprised somebody had paid the translator for doing such a crappy job. Can't believe the editor let it slide either. It's full of basic mistakes and literal translations. Horrible.
Oscar Torrado
Aunque tiene todos los elementos de su más célebre novela, Coma, Cerebro no logró llenar mis expectativas, siendo éste el segundo libro que leo de Robin Cook.

La historia se desarrolla de una forma bastante lenta, y aunque sigue la misma línea que desarrolló Cook en sus thrillers médicos como por ejemplo la ética moral médica y hasta dónde es capaz de llegar el ser humano por el bien de la ciencia y la investigación, sus personajes principales Phillips y Denise no lograron transmitir ningún senti
This was truly horrible. I felt like he got to the last 50 or so pages and realised he needed a villain and to wrap a story which didn't feel it was going anywhere.

A disappointment after Coma which was a good read.
Kim Stewart
Love Robin Cook

I always enjoy these books...can't wait to read the next one...highly recommend this book to anyone who likes medical mysteries
Matt Champagne
A girlfriend gave me a used copy of this for Christmas in 1993. It's like "Coma" but with brains. I think. Don't really remember.
Wow! Another amazing read. A typical Robin cook, expect the unexpected medical thriller. Lots of medical jargon but a literary treat for fiction fans.
You want to want to know what is happening to the patients, what is the main protagonist Dr. Phillip Martins is up to. If you are reading it you are in for an adventure. P.S. Do not read this book if you have recently read another one by Robin Cook.
Charice Lind mehring
Being one of his earliest works, this book is still thought provoking 30+ years later especially given the advances that have been made. An incredible, gripping story.
Alessandro Balestra
New York. Martin Philips, aiuto primario di neuroradiologia, è un brillante medico in carriera che suo malgrado si ritrova coinvolto in un torbido affare. Alcune giovani pazienti infatti muoiono misteriosamente, i loro corpi spariscono senza lasciare traccia. Martin insospettito indaga, e scopre che dietro alle sparizioni c'è un'organizzazione federale che finanzia una ricerca scientifica su cavie umane... "Cervello", scritto da Robin Cook che oltre ad essere uno scrittore è anche laureato in me ...more
One of the best Robin Cook novels. Little bit dated now yet the premise is still valid.
This book barely scratches the surface of the true horror of pseudo-scientific "research" used as a front and a justification for sadistic and unspeakable torture and abuse by egomaniacal sociopaths intent on making money by inflicting the maximum amount of suffering. Which is a good thing, because otherwise it would exit the realm of entertainment and be simply unreadable.

I always like reading books from the 70's just because of the amusingly archaic technology in them, and this novel is partic
John Ellis
Well dated now, and the ending's a bit of a let-down; still worth a read.
Brainfire - An Amazing Brain Boosting supplement 1 1 Jul 06, 2015 10:31PM
  • Critical Judgment
  • Brain Child
  • White Water Terror (The Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure Magic and Romance
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Asterix Versus Caesar
  • Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys, #20)
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“Medical school had been a time for imaginary diseases and Martin had contracted almost all of them.” 31 likes
“Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion,’ ” 2 likes