Start by marking “Stone by Design” as Want to Read:
Stone by Design

Lew French

Stone by Design

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
More than 125 gorgeous photographs showcase the beauty of award-winning stonemason Lew French's work in eight different homes, illustrating how rounded fieldstone, gray slate, rough granite, and even curvy driftwood can be incorporated into stunning pieces of functional art.

French provides charming narration for each project: how an idea came to be; how a stone-splitting
Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stone by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone by Design

J
I received this book as a birthday gift. I have known about Lew French for quite some time and have been drooling over this book but never picked it up. I regret not having done so long ago.

This is the kind of work I aspire to do. I really like the look of naturally stacked stones - no cuts or chipping etc and that is what French is known for; tight fits and a beautiful flow that is mesmerizing. While I have built fireplaces and walls that come close, I also realize it is going to take a few mo
June
Our Master Gardener Association met Lew French at our conference last week. A humble man with a remarkable talent. He spoke to us of the projects that are highlighted in this book . It was a gorgeous and inspiring presentation. I purchased this coffee table book to keep the beauty and the inspiration of his work close to hand. If only I could behold his work in person .....
Sheryl
Jun 03, 2008 Sheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheryl by: CBS Sunday Morning Show
Amazing photos of stone work by a construction worker on Martha's Vineyard. Didn't read it word-for-word but was very taken with the photography. I think the book caught my eye because of our stone house and all the stone on our property. Any friends feel free to borrow it.
Libby
I saw this book on CBS Sunday Morning and had to pick it up. French's artistry is a treat for the eye and the photographs in this coffee table book bring it to life.
Barbara
A gorgeous book of superb stonework. I could get lost in the photos, but also am intrigued by his engineering as well as his artistry.
Lauren
beautiful showcase of his work.... but doesn't really serve as a design resource
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Ron McVey
Ron McVey marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 17, 2013
Duringtherain
Duringtherain marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013