Start by marking “Blade Dancer” as Want to Read:
Blade Dancer

Blade Dancer

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,154 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Jory Rask is a professional shockball player. The fastest runback in the game, she is loved across Terra. But Jory Rask has a secret that she's lived with for twenty-four years. In a xenophobic world that despises aliens, she is not quite human...
Published July 6th 2004 by Roc (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blade Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blade Dancer

Gail Carriger
Nov 20, 2009 Gail Carriger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Blade Dancer by S. L. Viehl is a sexy space opera about ninja-style assassins. Set in her StarDoc world this book is one of those most wonderful of things, and stand alone novel! It features a tough if embattled ex-sportswoman surrounded by engaging characters, strong romantic elements, high action, and some pretty gruesome moments. It's one of my keepers and I reread it often.

S.L. Viehl is a master of high action, bloody drama, sexy aliens, and true love. This is her at her very best. If you ar
Jacqueline
Mar 27, 2010 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the Stardoc universe and I liked this stand alone one. It had a strong romance in it and a very simpathetic main character. There were a couple of editing errors where people's physical descriptions changed over the course of the book. Still I like to reread this one. Strong plot and world building.
Janice (Janicu)
Blade Dancer is set in the Stardoc universe but is not part of that series. The story is about a half alien (Jorenian), half human ("Terran") woman named Jory who is a champion shockball player. When her mother dies suddenly, Jory's secret - that shes not fully human, is discovered and she's kicked off the planet. The only reason Jory was sticking around anyway is for her mother, so now she's free to go back to her mother's homeplanet and carry out her mom's last wish - by seeking out the small ...more
Carolyn F.
Nov 20, 2011 Carolyn F. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, sfr
I really enjoyed this book. It's the same world that the Cerijo was in, with even references to her. The cover I hate and I think is a detriment to the book but if a reader will ignore it, they'll end up loving it.
Michelle Wood
Jan 03, 2014 Michelle Wood rated it it was amazing
Blade Dancer by S.L. Viehl follows the perspective of Jory Rask, a sarcastic and kick-ass female protagonist who just happens to be half human and half Jorenian (alien). The unfortunate thing for Jory – and her mother – is that they live on Terra (aka. Earth) with people who are extremely xenophobic towards aliens. When Jory’s Jorenian mother dies and the world finds out that she is not entirely human, Jory is exiled from Terra and her mother’s body is put in a “disposal unit”. Eventually, Jory ...more
Stephanie
Nov 04, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Viehl is an author I know little about, she hasn’t been at any conventions I’ve gone to and I don’t see much about her in the blogs bit she has written 5 or 6 sci-fi novels. This is in the middle of the pack I believe and it is a solid effort.

The story is about a woman whose father is human and mother is alien. Mixed breeds are not well liked in the universe and especially on Earth (why does that not surprise me). Jory is fortunate that she passes for human except for her eyes and a few other ea
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jun 14, 2011 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it liked it
Blade Dancer was our Science Fiction Book Club choice for June. I read the book several years ago, even so I had to pull it off the bookshelf and re-read it before our meeting. Blade Dancer is one of several side novels in the Star Doc series. Although I never carried for the Star Doc books I liked Blade Dancer. Another member of the club agreed that the side novel was better than the series. S.L. Viehl’s original plan was to use Blade Dancer as the lead novel for a series but something interfer ...more
Mike Maurer
Aug 07, 2015 Mike Maurer rated it it was ok
The book is presented as a first person tale of going from most admired athlete to trained assassin. I like assassin and revenge plots. I tried to like this, but it just dragged. Too much whining. I didn't care for the characters. Barely know her honor clan members. They are essentially one dimensional and predictable. The plot twist at the end didn't work and felt ripped from a well known movie from the late 1970's. Plus the assassin school isn't like any place that would be expecting supreme d ...more
Wendy
Oct 05, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Having read both Viehl's 'BioRescue' series and just finishing her 'Stardoc' series probably added to my enjoyment. I had a lot of background knowledge of Jorenian customs as well as knowledge about the war between the League and the Hsktskt. It was fun to see the things that tied into the 'Stardoc' series.

Glad that I took the time to enjoy this book. I really hope that Viehl has some future plans for us to visit this universe again. I would be very sad to know that we
Turtles
Aug 03, 2015 Turtles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed the vicious living that took place in the book and I liked the plot of Jory being discovered as part alien and kicked off the only world she's known. The part where the traipses off into space and completes the mission her mother gave her, finding the other half-breeds, was really cool family time. Even the part in the assassin school was interesting, it was best at the end when the plot came together. Though, I had already suspected most of it. This loses a star for me for the crappy ...more
Sean Kilburn
Dec 04, 2012 Sean Kilburn rated it liked it
Okay. Finished the read, and the the ending left me somewhat 'yay!' but at the same time, feeling kinda out of the loop. It all came crashing into place rather abruptly (but just fine, considering the length of the novel,) and as it being a set piece within Viehls's own cosmology, a decent set-aside. The feelings of the characters were given prosaically, but, again, that's what has to happen, because, this book happens FAST. Jory, her Clan, her home-worlds, are all juxtaposed for some sort of de ...more
Jwjohnsen
Apr 11, 2008 Jwjohnsen rated it did not like it
This is one of those books I finished just because I had started it and I wanted to see how the plot turned out. Although it began as an intriguing bit of sci-fi fluff, it took a turn for the (very) worse in the second half, adding much in the way of sexual content and profanity but subtracting even more in the way of taste and character development. It is the only book so far in my personal book journal which has received a "down-arrow" rating, meaning I regret reading it and would not recommen ...more
Aleina
Feb 16, 2016 Aleina rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, owned
As far as science fiction, outerspace, alien sci-fi stuff goes, this was AMAZING! It was sooo cool to be in the view of a hard core main character who knows how to fight like no other. The races of aliens and stuff isn't too hard to catch onto, since they really give you the need-to-know basis thing, which is fine with me!
I think when they brought in the assassin academy was when they got me impressed. It's not always easy to think of things like that, but wow! This book was one of my favorites
Jenny
Apr 17, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I cannot praise this book enough. It’s an amazing sci-fi that kept me intrigued from start to finish
It has a strong female lead (which I love) suspense, mystery and awesome action/fight scenes.
It also has a strong back up characters and an intriguing plot, and in parts made me tear up and laugh out loud

This is the 3rd time I have read it and I'm still not sick of it and wish for a follow up book
Elb4966
Aug 05, 2012 Elb4966 rated it liked it
This book was a solid 4 stars until I got to the end. The ending of the novel felt rushed, as if the author was trying to resolve all the story lines with limited word count to do so. But overall it is a good book. I would recommend it.
Tiffany
Mar 16, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
There are only rare occasions in which I read sci/fi, I mostly stick with paranormal. But Sajora's story is a definite must read. Passionate, determined, loyal and ruthless, what better qualties could your possibly ask for in a heroine?
Jorge Gonzalez
Nov 16, 2015 Jorge Gonzalez rated it liked it
Read this back in the day when I was probably 13. I really enjoyed it then and I still do so now. The idea of an assassin academy just does it for me. I'll be remiss if I don't add that my fondness for the book is probably enhanced by nostalgia of the times I read it in.
Eric Franks
Nov 02, 2010 Eric Franks rated it liked it
You know, when I read this book I realized that perhaps sometimes it is easier to approach tough issues in writing, like race and race relations through a more fantastical style work. This particular story is about a woman who realizes she is part alien and is rejected by her society.
Sandy D.
Aug 27, 2011 Sandy D. rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Character-driven science fiction (of the space opera kind) that started out very strongly - interesting premise, interesting world building - and then halfway through the book just seemed to fizzle into battles and sex.
Vanessa Bowman
Apr 10, 2016 Vanessa Bowman rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim of the bargain table at Barnes and Nobel. I will forever be grateful for that decision as it introduced me to this writer and this sci fi world she has created. Thank you S.L. Viehl for this amazing book and all the other ones you created in this universe.
Jenn
May 07, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
wow...i really enjoyed a new fresh world in sci-fi! my only criticism is that i would have rather the culmination of the main character and her past be more drawn out than her yes/no/we can't/we want to romance.
Sandyh
Jan 08, 2012 Sandyh rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to S.L. Viehl science fiction. Read this first. In the Stardoc world but not directly part of the series.
Jocelyn Nichols
Mar 15, 2008 Jocelyn Nichols rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least 8 times now and will surely be reading it again in the future. LOVE IT!!!
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, 2004
My favorite Lynn Viehl. This actually reminds me a little of Ender's Game because of the school/training facility. Part of the Star Doc universe; but not part of that series. Yes, it's a space opera.
Dahrose
Dec 30, 2015 Dahrose rated it did not like it
Shelves: really-disliked
dnf - at the 60% mark. The h was the weakest link in this novel - whining, making bold kick ass statement and NEVER following through. Too unlikeable and pig headed. Just annoying.
Pioden
May 30, 2007 Pioden rated it really liked it
Blade Dancer is not actually a Star Doc novel - it's a stand alone, with different characters. I enjoyed this one a lot - a fresh start, didn't feel like it was stretching.
Jenny
Apr 18, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans
Shelves: completed
Very enjoyable. I always wanted to know what happened next. The characters were well thought out and they worked well with the story. One of my favorite authors now.
AnneMarie
AnneMarie rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Tilmar
Tilmar rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
  • Finders Keepers
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • Endless Blue
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Survival (Species Imperative, #1)
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • The Legend of Banzai Maguire (2176 Series, #1)

“All I was trying to do when they caught me was bury my mother in an unmarked grave.” 0 likes