Blade Dancer

Blade Dancer

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  872 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Jory Rask is a professional shockball player. The fastest runback in the game, she is loved across Terra. But Jory Rask has a secret that she's lived with for twenty-four years. In a xenophobic world that despises aliens, she is not quite human...
Published July 6th 2004 by Roc (first published 2003)

Gail Carriger
Blade Dancer by S. L. Viehl is a sexy space opera about ninja-style assassins. Set in her StarDoc world this book is one of those most wonderful of things, and stand alone novel! It features a tough if embattled ex-sportswoman surrounded by engaging characters, strong romantic elements, high action, and some pretty gruesome moments. It's one of my keepers and I reread it often.

S.L. Viehl is a master of high action, bloody drama, sexy aliens, and true love. This is her at her very best. If you ar...more
Janice (Janicu)
Blade Dancer is set in the Stardoc universe but is not part of that series. The story is about a half alien (Jorenian), half human ("Terran") woman named Jory who is a champion shockball player. When her mother dies suddenly, Jory's secret - that shes not fully human, is discovered and she's kicked off the planet. The only reason Jory was sticking around anyway is for her mother, so now she's free to go back to her mother's homeplanet and carry out her mom's last wish - by seeking out the small...more
Jacqueline
I enjoy the Stardoc universe and I liked this stand alone one. It had a strong romance in it and a very simpathetic main character. There were a couple of editing errors where people's physical descriptions changed over the course of the book. Still I like to reread this one. Strong plot and world building.
Carolyn F.
I really enjoyed this book. It's the same world that the Cerijo was in, with even references to her. The cover I hate and I think is a detriment to the book but if a reader will ignore it, they'll end up loving it.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Blade Dancer was our Science Fiction Book Club choice for June. I read the book several years ago, even so I had to pull it off the bookshelf and re-read it before our meeting. Blade Dancer is one of several side novels in the Star Doc series. Although I never carried for the Star Doc books I liked Blade Dancer. Another member of the club agreed that the side novel was better than the series. S.L. Viehl’s original plan was to use Blade Dancer as the lead novel for a series but something interfer...more
Stephanie
Viehl is an author I know little about, she hasn’t been at any conventions I’ve gone to and I don’t see much about her in the blogs bit she has written 5 or 6 sci-fi novels. This is in the middle of the pack I believe and it is a solid effort.

The story is about a woman whose father is human and mother is alien. Mixed breeds are not well liked in the universe and especially on Earth (why does that not surprise me). Jory is fortunate that she passes for human except for her eyes and a few other ea...more
Nenia Campbell

Star Trek has pretty much defined how I like my 'Space Opera.' I like science-fiction novels that have spaceship fights; tons of different, interesting planets with odd lifeforms that have their own diverse cultures, ethics, and appearances; oh, and a good story arc - because if it's a really good world, I'm not going to want to leave, so you had better keep me entertained!

Viehl gets this. In fact, I'm 99.9% sure that she's a Trekkie herself, because her world reminds me so much of Star Trek. No...more
Sean Kilburn
Okay. Finished the read, and the the ending left me somewhat 'yay!' but at the same time, feeling kinda out of the loop. It all came crashing into place rather abruptly (but just fine, considering the length of the novel,) and as it being a set piece within Viehls's own cosmology, a decent set-aside. The feelings of the characters were given prosaically, but, again, that's what has to happen, because, this book happens FAST. Jory, her Clan, her home-worlds, are all juxtaposed for some sort of de...more
Wendy
Really enjoyed this book. Having read both Viehl's 'BioRescue' series and just finishing her 'Stardoc' series probably added to my enjoyment. I had a lot of background knowledge of Jorenian customs as well as knowledge about the war between the League and the Hsktskt. It was fun to see the things that tied into the 'Stardoc' series.

Glad that I took the time to enjoy this book. I really hope that Viehl has some future plans for us to visit this universe again. I would be very sad to know that we...more
Aleina
As far as science fiction, outerspace, alien sci-fi stuff goes, this was AMAZING! It was sooo cool to be in the view of a hard core main character who knows how to fight like no other. The races of aliens and stuff isn't too hard to catch onto, since they really give you the need-to-know basis thing, which is fine with me!
I think when they brought in the assassin academy was when they got me impressed. It's not always easy to think of things like that, but wow! This book was one of my favorites...more
Jwjohnsen
This is one of those books I finished just because I had started it and I wanted to see how the plot turned out. Although it began as an intriguing bit of sci-fi fluff, it took a turn for the (very) worse in the second half, adding much in the way of sexual content and profanity but subtracting even more in the way of taste and character development. It is the only book so far in my personal book journal which has received a "down-arrow" rating, meaning I regret reading it and would not recommen...more
Jenny
I cannot praise this book enough. It’s an amazing sci-fi that kept me intrigued from start to finish
It has a strong female lead (which I love) suspense, mystery and awesome action/fight scenes.
It also has a strong back up characters and an intriguing plot, and in parts made me tear up and laugh out loud

This is the 3rd time I have read it and I'm still not sick of it and wish for a follow up book
Eric Franks
You know, when I read this book I realized that perhaps sometimes it is easier to approach tough issues in writing, like race and race relations through a more fantastical style work. This particular story is about a woman who realizes she is part alien and is rejected by her society.
Tiffany
There are only rare occasions in which I read sci/fi, I mostly stick with paranormal. But Sajora's story is a definite must read. Passionate, determined, loyal and ruthless, what better qualties could your possibly ask for in a heroine?
Elb4966
This book was a solid 4 stars until I got to the end. The ending of the novel felt rushed, as if the author was trying to resolve all the story lines with limited word count to do so. But overall it is a good book. I would recommend it.
Jenn
wow...i really enjoyed a new fresh world in sci-fi! my only criticism is that i would have rather the culmination of the main character and her past be more drawn out than her yes/no/we can't/we want to romance.
Sandy D.
Character-driven science fiction (of the space opera kind) that started out very strongly - interesting premise, interesting world building - and then halfway through the book just seemed to fizzle into battles and sex.
Lesli
My favorite Lynn Viehl. This actually reminds me a little of Ender's Game because of the school/training facility. Part of the Star Doc universe; but not part of that series. Yes, it's a space opera.
Nikki Dyer
awesome space action sci-fi!
Pioden
Blade Dancer is not actually a Star Doc novel - it's a stand alone, with different characters. I enjoyed this one a lot - a fresh start, didn't feel like it was stretching.
Jenny
Apr 24, 2007 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans
Shelves: completed
Very enjoyable. I always wanted to know what happened next. The characters were well thought out and they worked well with the story. One of my favorite authors now.
Sandyh
Great introduction to S.L. Viehl science fiction. Read this first. In the Stardoc world but not directly part of the series.
Jocelyn Nichols
I have read this book at least 8 times now and will surely be reading it again in the future. LOVE IT!!!
Greyson Taylor
A bit predictable and a little too nice for the topic it was exploring, but still enjoyed it.
Valerie
Sometimes, you just need a well written space opera, and they can be so hard to find.
Jensownzoo
Worth reading, but not an impressive selection from this author.
Frank Taranto
Don't remember much, didn't feel the need to read the sequel.
Valeria de Alquimia
I wonder if Jean Johnson read this book and got inspired.
Erotic Horizon
Blade Dancer (Stardoc) by S.L. Viehl (2004)
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Ignore the god-awful cover. The book is amazing!
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • Finders Keepers
  • The Infinite Sea (The Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Endless Blue
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
Stardoc (Stardoc, #1) Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2) Endurance (Stardoc, #3) Shockball (Stardoc, #4) Eternity Row (Stardoc, #5)