3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Follow the line on a journey from the city to the country, from the sky to the ocean, from morning till night. Laura Ljungkvist uses her trademark continuous line style to create the perfect counting book for young children. Each scene contains questions designed to get children looking, counting, and thinking. For example, in the underwater picture, children can count sea...more
Published May 4th 2006 by Viking Juvenile (first published 2006)

Laura Mincey
This is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. The book invites the reader to have a tour of the house featured in the book. With the turn of each page, the reader is in a different room in the house, exploring what all can be found. For instance, the reader is asked to go inside the playroom and find their favorite toy--the illustrations give great images for what can be found of each part of the house. This would be an awesome book to have in a Pre-K classroom when children are just...more
Jenny
This was simple in the reading department with just a few questions on each page about how many objects were there. It was a good exercise in observation. Once I pointed out how the pictures were mainly made up of one line that travels through the whole book, page to page, my daughter (5) just wanted to trace the line instead of hear the questions. I was fine with that. She was intrigued and it kind of helps with small-motor skills, right?
Hae Sun
This is another book in the "Follow the Line" series by Laura Ljungkvist. This author uses a continuous line to take students all over the world and even into outer space. Students are able to get small chunks of information about our world and surroundings. Another book that I would use in social studies or in sciences when talking about environment.
Dolly
Dec 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the last of the four books in the Follow the Line series by Laura Ljungkvist. It's a fun book that has so many interesting things to look at as well as a continuous line (somewhat similar to Harold and the Purple Crayon) that takes us throughout a home.

I thought perhaps this might be a bit too young for our girls, but they really liked it and they were eager to answer the questions that are sprinkled throughout the pages. We'd make funny sound effects as we followed the line with our fi...more
babyhippoface
Ljungkvist has built a colorful, geometrical picture book around the interesting concept of what can be created with just one unbroken line and some color blocks. Readers will trace the line with eyes or forefinger as it moves from a cityscape in the morning, through oceans and forests teeming with wildlife in the afternoon, to a house full of sleeping people in a quiet village at nighttime. Be prepared for exclamations of, “no way!” when you inform children--and adults--that the black outlines...more
Michelle
eye spy meets counting book
Amy Carr
A truly clever and amazing book! I loved the simple, sweet writing that takes the reader from morning in the city to evening in the country. But what is phenomenal is that all the illustrations in the book are drawn with one continuous line. Give your child the book in sacrament meeting and ask them to trace the line through the entire book...I promise you peace and quiet! Plus there is lots of great "counting" activities throughout the book. I loved it!
Joanne
when i first gave this book to my little girl (she's now 4, she was 3 then) she didn't really like it. now she asks to read it every night. she tries to follow the line all over the pages until it gets too complicated, and she loves counting the different objects on every page. sometimes it gets a tiny bit boring for me, but that's ok cause she's having so much fun!
Heather Boyd
More of an art book with some pretty neat retro prints that would look great on a wall. Andrew was not that into it, but older cousin Nate did want to follow the line all the way through each scene in the book. Andrew was barely interested in this book at all --the artsy photos mean that looking for details in the images is a little daunting for a two year old.
Michele
I loved the illustrations. Engaging and stimulating. The text....not quite so interesting. A lot of counting questions, but not even terribly exciting or whimsical counting questions. I think it is great as a picture book, or even for kids interested in drawing. However, I would not suggest it as a read-aloud counting book.
Molly
I think this is a good example of radical change in children's literature. It's totally interactive. It's not a story you'd read to a child- it's more like a book to give a kid and ask them about periodically. I haven't decided if I really like it or not- I really liked the format and the novelty of it, though... still thinking...
Sam
Wow! This book used color beautifully and was able to keep the reader interested in the continuing story. The book was simple, but was able to challenge and build attention and focus. Use this when children need to maintain focus and have them notice the difference between deep, careful inspection and a casual glance.
K
The illustrations, rather than the plot, are really the highlight of the book. That said, the illustrations are stunning, with enough activities on each page to keep interest in the book for many different ages. One thing that bugged me, though, was at night, all the babies have pacifiers. Still, a gorgeous book.
Marti
Conceptually this is a neat book but in actuality, it's really boring. There's really no plot except that one line runs through the whole book making most of drawings on the pages. When your 6 yr old tells you can stop reading b/c he's tired and both adults are yawning every 5 seconds, that's not good. :p
Sandy Brehl
In some ways as simple/complex as Harold and the Purple Crayon, this incorporates picture search, counting, color concepts, and simple images suitable for the very young. On the other hand, it has pot=ential appeal and presents challenges for older readers with visual fascinations.
The Library Lady
No story really, but the activities should engage children. And if your kid says "can't we just read the story?" as I once heard an over-schooled child saying to his mom, put it down and head for something with a plot and dialogue.
Paula
A line from morning to evening, from city to country and everything in between. With the simple mane text it could be for toddlers but with all the interactive questions of how many.... It's good ook for preschoolers too.
Janessa
This book was really fun to read. i can just imagine reading to a child and having them answer questions as they followed the lines on the paper. I think that this book would help with fine motor skills. Great for grades p-1
Katrina
each picture is made from a single continuous line. Fun to follow, but could be too difficult. Some pages have you find what is missing. At the end of the book there are other things to go back and find on each page.
Cindi
My kids have really enjoyed this book. One line goes all the way through the illustrations in the book. They actually take the book and run their finger from beginning to end. Better than t.v. for sure!
Michelle
The Line goes throughout the whole book and it makes different pictures out of it without being lifted up. In this book it asks you to find different things. For example, "how many flowers are there?"
Nielson
This is a very interactive book. You could follow the line the whole way through. Each page is a different color and has interactive things on it (finding striped shirts, flowers, fish etc.)
Lauren Richards
Clever! Has one continuous line that you follow through every page that makes up the illustrations. Each page is filled with questions of things to find and count.
(participation)
Kate Narita
If you can draw a line, you'll want to check out this book to see what a line can be. If you like Harold and the Purple Crayon, be sure to check out this author/illustrator and her books.
Po

This book is definitely an interactive book as opposed to a mellow before bed book. The drawings are awesome. I think you can enjoy it even without reading the questions.
Holly
What a cool book for kids! It kept my daughter busy for quite some time. One continuous line makes up all the illustrations in the book, and she loved tracing through with her finger.
Tara
Jun 30, 2008 Tara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artsy kids or parents
Shelves: children
I got this for my kids and Delaney liked it better than Owen, but I think as they get older they may like it more and be able to appreciate the way the line is never broken.
Alnora
I loved the modern pictures in this book and the different settings it shows. It would be a really fun book to read-out-loud and have the kids find the objects it asks for.
Mary
Great bright colors, love that it invites the reader to interact with the material, and, on a completely random note, I love the quality of the paper. It's nice, sturdy paper.
Sally
Interesting use of modern-ish graphic design for a kids' book. I really liked the images and lines and colors. My little one enjoys looking through it with me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Follow the Line through the House Follow the Line to School Follow the Line Around the World Pepi Sings a New Song Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs