Start by marking “Follow the Line” as Want to Read:

Follow the line on a journey from the city to the country, from the sky to the ocean, from morning till night. Laura Ljungkvist uses her trademark continuous line style to create the perfect counting book for young children. Each scene contains questions designed to get children looking, counting, and thinking. For example, in the underwater picture, children can count sea ...more
Published May 4th 2006 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Line

Laura Mincey
Apr 04, 2011 Laura Mincey rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k, discovery
This is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. The book invites the reader to have a tour of the house featured in the book. With the turn of each page, the reader is in a different room in the house, exploring what all can be found. For instance, the reader is asked to go inside the playroom and find their favorite toy--the illustrations give great images for what can be found of each part of the house. This would be an awesome book to have in a Pre-K classroom when children are just ...more
Miss Sarah
Mar 10, 2017 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Each page of this book presents a different simple scene like the sea or a city block and asks you to identify and count certain things. Cute preschool and up.
Dolly
Nov 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the last of the four books in the Follow the Line series by Laura Ljungkvist. It's a fun book that has so many interesting things to look at as well as a continuous line (somewhat similar to Harold and the Purple Crayon) that takes us throughout a home.

I thought perhaps this might be a bit too young for our girls, but they really liked it and they were eager to answer the questions that are sprinkled throughout the pages. We'd make funny sound effects as we followed the line with our fi
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Ljungkvist has built a colorful, geometrical picture book around the interesting concept of what can be created with just one unbroken line and some color blocks. Readers will trace the line with eyes or forefinger as it moves from a cityscape in the morning, through oceans and forests teeming with wildlife in the afternoon, to a house full of sleeping people in a quiet village at nighttime. Be prepared for exclamations of, “no way!” when you inform children--and adults--that the black outlines ...more
Jenny
Mar 19, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This was simple in the reading department with just a few questions on each page about how many objects were there. It was a good exercise in observation. Once I pointed out how the pictures were mainly made up of one line that travels through the whole book, page to page, my daughter (5) just wanted to trace the line instead of hear the questions. I was fine with that. She was intrigued and it kind of helps with small-motor skills, right?
Amy Carr
Oct 24, 2010 Amy Carr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A truly clever and amazing book! I loved the simple, sweet writing that takes the reader from morning in the city to evening in the country. But what is phenomenal is that all the illustrations in the book are drawn with one continuous line. Give your child the book in sacrament meeting and ask them to trace the line through the entire book...I promise you peace and quiet! Plus there is lots of great "counting" activities throughout the book. I loved it!
K
Mar 01, 2009 K rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The illustrations, rather than the plot, are really the highlight of the book. That said, the illustrations are stunning, with enough activities on each page to keep interest in the book for many different ages. One thing that bugged me, though, was at night, all the babies have pacifiers. Still, a gorgeous book.
Joanne
Dec 18, 2007 Joanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
when i first gave this book to my little girl (she's now 4, she was 3 then) she didn't really like it. now she asks to read it every night. she tries to follow the line all over the pages until it gets too complicated, and she loves counting the different objects on every page. sometimes it gets a tiny bit boring for me, but that's ok cause she's having so much fun!
J
Jan 11, 2017 J rated it it was amazing
It looks like there are a few different Follow the Line books by this author. I read this one to a group of 3rd and 4th graders, and they got really into it, eagerly finding the things on each page that the book asks about. I had to keep telling them to sit down. I even had kids who had had their heads down or turned away perk up and pay attention on this one. Great book for older kids.
Molly
Aug 23, 2007 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-books
I think this is a good example of radical change in children's literature. It's totally interactive. It's not a story you'd read to a child- it's more like a book to give a kid and ask them about periodically. I haven't decided if I really like it or not- I really liked the format and the novelty of it, though... still thinking...
Michele
Dec 12, 2011 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the illustrations. Engaging and stimulating. The text....not quite so interesting. A lot of counting questions, but not even terribly exciting or whimsical counting questions. I think it is great as a picture book, or even for kids interested in drawing. However, I would not suggest it as a read-aloud counting book.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Follow the line from a big city to a small village. The main text is big and goes from page to page. Each page also contains questions for seek-n-finds on the page. This is a fun book for a group or individual setting. If the reader enjoys Follow the Line, there are others in the series.

2016 storytime theme: city

Reviewed from a library copy.
Nicki
Sep 23, 2014 Nicki rated it liked it
I gave it 3 stars because I can see this being a good book for 6-10 year olds. Any child that can read well on their own. For that age range I would give it four stars, but I was reading this with my 2 and 4 year olds. It was a bit too complicated visually and lacked enough story to hold their attention to the end. For preschoolers this was a two star book.
Sam
Jan 08, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: participation
Wow! This book used color beautifully and was able to keep the reader interested in the continuing story. The book was simple, but was able to challenge and build attention and focus. Use this when children need to maintain focus and have them notice the difference between deep, careful inspection and a casual glance.
Marti
Aug 20, 2011 Marti rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-reader
Conceptually this is a neat book but in actuality, it's really boring. There's really no plot except that one line runs through the whole book making most of drawings on the pages. When your 6 yr old tells you can stop reading b/c he's tired and both adults are yawning every 5 seconds, that's not good. :p
Hae Sun
This is another book in the "Follow the Line" series by Laura Ljungkvist. This author uses a continuous line to take students all over the world and even into outer space. Students are able to get small chunks of information about our world and surroundings. Another book that I would use in social studies or in sciences when talking about environment.
Heather Boyd
Aug 08, 2012 Heather Boyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
More of an art book with some pretty neat retro prints that would look great on a wall. Andrew was not that into it, but older cousin Nate did want to follow the line all the way through each scene in the book. Andrew was barely interested in this book at all --the artsy photos mean that looking for details in the images is a little daunting for a two year old.
The Library Lady
Jun 04, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
No story really, but the activities should engage children. And if your kid says "can't we just read the story?" as I once heard an over-schooled child saying to his mom, put it down and head for something with a plot and dialogue.
Katrina
Jun 07, 2008 Katrina rated it liked it
each picture is made from a single continuous line. Fun to follow, but could be too difficult. Some pages have you find what is missing. At the end of the book there are other things to go back and find on each page.
Cindi
Nov 03, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My kids have really enjoyed this book. One line goes all the way through the illustrations in the book. They actually take the book and run their finger from beginning to end. Better than t.v. for sure!
Janessa
Mar 09, 2012 Janessa rated it it was amazing
This book was really fun to read. i can just imagine reading to a child and having them answer questions as they followed the lines on the paper. I think that this book would help with fine motor skills. Great for grades p-1
Paula
A line from morning to evening, from city to country and everything in between. With the simple mane text it could be for toddlers but with all the interactive questions of how many.... It's good ook for preschoolers too.
Sandy Brehl
In some ways as simple/complex as Harold and the Purple Crayon, this incorporates picture search, counting, color concepts, and simple images suitable for the very young. On the other hand, it has pot=ential appeal and presents challenges for older readers with visual fascinations.
Michelle
Jun 09, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
The Line goes throughout the whole book and it makes different pictures out of it without being lifted up. In this book it asks you to find different things. For example, "how many flowers are there?"
Mary
Great bright colors, love that it invites the reader to interact with the material, and, on a completely random note, I love the quality of the paper. It's nice, sturdy paper.
Po
May 24, 2012 Po rated it really liked it

This book is definitely an interactive book as opposed to a mellow before bed book. The drawings are awesome. I think you can enjoy it even without reading the questions.
Sally
Apr 16, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
Interesting use of modern-ish graphic design for a kids' book. I really liked the images and lines and colors. My little one enjoys looking through it with me.
jacky
Oct 23, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Very disappointed. We couldn't actually follow the line and all the questions were about counting, which William usually refuses to do even once. Very bad fit for us.
Kate Narita
Oct 27, 2010 Kate Narita rated it it was amazing
If you can draw a line, you'll want to check out this book to see what a line can be. If you like Harold and the Purple Crayon, be sure to check out this author/illustrator and her books.
Lauren Richards
Clever! Has one continuous line that you follow through every page that makes up the illustrations. Each page is filled with questions of things to find and count.
(participation)