Start by marking “Metaphysics” as Want to Read:
Metaphysics

Metaphysics

The traditional problems of philosophy take on new meaning and different color in the light of each generation's unique character. It is not only the history of philosophy that must be reexamined; the same is true for our understanding of any philosophical problem or topic.
Kindle Edition, Third Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Metaphysics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metaphysics

Murtadha
Aug 17, 2016 Murtadha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: general reader , philosophy student or anyone interested in philosophy
Shelves: philosophy
هل هناك حقاً كتاب معين تستطيع ان تقول أنك أصبحت , بمعنى أو بآخر , شخصاً آخر بعد قرائته ؟ كتاب أضاف اليك فعلاً ؟
اذا كان الجواب نعم فربما هذا هو أحدى هذه الكتب , فأنا أعتقد أني قد أكتسبت بالفعل شيئاً جديداً أثناء قرائتي لهذا الكتاب , و لهذا السبب و لأسباب أخرى اعتبر انه أحدى هذه الكتب ألتي تستحق تقييماً كاملاً نظراً لكمية الفائدة المتحققة بواسطتها , فالكتاب الدراسي (Metaphysics) بنسخته الرابعة لسنة (2014) هو كتاب مذهل و سأحاول بأختصار تبيان لماذا أعتقد أنه كذلك ..

الكتاب يصنف على أنه textbook (اي ك
Jacob Aitken
PVI sets out to defend the Common Western Metaphysic: basically the common-sense view in the west that there is a ready-made, external world independent of our mind. This text is divided into three parts: The Way the World is, Why the World Is, and the Inhabitants of the World.

Throughout he covers all of the basic problems and terminology in metaphysics today: inviduation, externality, objective realism, free will, mind-body problem, etc.

He covers the Ontological argument, albeit in its modal fo
Yan Kai
Feb 24, 2015 Yan Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Clear and succinct, and hence, great introduction guide for everyone interested in more contemporary issues about metaphysics.
Bob
Dec 26, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...i'm not the same person as i was before, literally
Matthew
Aug 03, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Van Inwagen gives us a great introductory text to Metaphysics with this book. He treats both sides with respect, but doesn't try to bull shit anyone by not picking a side -- you know exactly where he stands on most of the material that he is presenting you with. It was actually pretty strange ... I liked the way he explained most of the arguments, but I almost always disagreed with his point of view.

The introduction to the text gives a fair representation to the way that the book is written, and
Paul
Jul 25, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysics
Very good introduction to the metaphysics --- roughly, the study of the nature of ultimate reality. The book has three parts: (i) the way the world is, (ii) why the world is, and (iii) the inhabitants of the world. These three parts are further broken down into chapters. Given my interests, part (iii) was by far the most interesting, specifically the chapters on the nature of man and his powers (i.e., dualism/physicalism and free will). Van Inwagen argues for physicalism about the human person, ...more
Alex Milledge
Nov 16, 2014 Alex Milledge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the reason why I would like to study Metaphysics in a post-graduate study if I decide to go. The book clarified the subject for me, because since I have been studying Philosophy I haven't really fully understood the subject. If you asked me what Metaphysics was I would say "the study of reality" and may make a few remarks on Ontology but nothing more. But now the book has given me the tools to talk more about it with my contemporaries and make more sense of it in arguments and readi ...more
Michael Dorais
Nov 20, 2011 Michael Dorais rated it liked it
I ready through this quickly just to get a familiarity with the subject matter. This was a good book to read first, but I liked the Metaphysics book by Michael J. Loux better because it treated the subject more rigorously. On my first ready I'd say I had a about 50-70% overall comprehension even though I had 99% comprehension of the individual sentences. I'm going to have to return and re-read this more careful with pencil and notebook in hand.
Randy Hulshizer
This is an OK introductory text for students who are unfamiliar with the basic concepts of metaphysics. It doesn't go real deep into these questions, and it really is a bit one sided. Although Van Inwagen does posit his own views, he spends more time picking at opposing arguments rather than supporting his own, but that is something very common in philosophy, so I guess it really isn't a criticism, per se.
Brian
Sep 15, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
You can find out more of what I thought about Metaphysics here: http://www.apologetics.net/post/2011/...
Danny
Sep 10, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Since he does not discuss issues of universals, particulars, properties, I would supplement this Loux’s work.
Luke
Mar 13, 2012 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Fantastic introduction to metaphysics, not neutral towards issues.
Mike
Sep 13, 2007 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cool people
Conclusion: Van Inwagen is a genius.
Rakesh Shrivastava
Rakesh Shrivastava marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Adam Birt
Adam Birt rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Babu Thomas
Babu Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Connor Kennedy
Connor Kennedy is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Alice Ma
Alice Ma marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
nourivo t.
nourivo t. marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Hantao
Hantao marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Yousif Al-qadi
Yousif Al-qadi marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Siddhartha
Siddhartha marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Gonzo
Gonzo marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Eliseb
Eliseb is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
  • Aristotle: Selections
  • The Nature of Necessity
  • On the Plurality of Worlds
  • Truth: A Guide
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • Principles of Human Knowledge & Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous
  • German Philosophy 1760-1860 : The Legacy of Idealism
  • Philosophy of Mind
  • Naming and Necessity
  • Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge
Peter van Inwagen is an American analytic philosopher and the John Cardinal O'Hara Professor of Philosophy at the University of Notre Dame. earned his PhD from the University of Rochester under the direction of Richard Taylor and Keith Lehrer.

Today, Van Inwagen is one of the leading figures in contemporary metaphysics, philosophy of religion, and philosophy of action. He has taught previously at S
More about Peter van Inwagen...