The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,103 ratings  ·  69 reviews
"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is set circa 1790 in the Dutch settlement of Tarry Town, New York, in a secluded glen called Sleepy Hollow. It tells the story of Ichabod Crane, a lean, lanky, and extremely superstitious schoolmaster from Connecticut, who competes with Abraham "Brom Bones" Van Brunt, the town rowdy, for the hand of 18-year-old Katrina Van Tassel, the daughter...more
Published June 15th 2009 by WLC (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Josette
I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection of Washington Irving's short stories on audio CD. The first on the 4-disc set was "Rip Van Winkle," and the second "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" — the two I most wanted to hear/read. I had read both in junior high school and again in college, but apparently I either didn't pay attention well the first two times or didn't remember them correctly. "Sleepy Hollow" especially was nothing like how I remembered it, and perhaps that's because of all the...more
Mackenzie Warren
This book was more like a short story... it had a bit of confusing language in it but was over all a good read! i don't know too much about the author but I do know that he had a pretty good idea of what a highschool dance might be like if you replaced the little midget men with Boys and Girls, and instead of bowling you made everyone dancing. But the drinking thing is about right. I know that that is sterio typing and I've been to some of these dances and have not done any questionable things,...more
Riccardo
Due storie misteriose. La raccolta si apre con la storia intitolata, prendendo spunto dal nome del protagonista principale, "Rip Van Winkle". Rip Van Winkle è un uomo buono, sovente maltrattato da una moglie irascibile, che non esita mai ad aiutare coloro che si trovino in difficoltà ma che si rifiuta, con una tenacia ed un'ostinazione che hanno dell'incredibile, ad occuparsi dei propri affari privati. Questo in quanto Rip Van Winkle è fermamente convinto che il suo terreno sia il più improdutti...more
Jeffrey Bumiller
Another Halloween inspired reading adventure. I am obliged to love these two tales because their setting, The Hudson Valley in New York State, is where I grew up! They are both a lot of fun, and eerie, if you let your imagine run wild. The writing doesn't blow me away but the stories themselves are so endearing! I actually found Rip Van Winkle to be a little creepier than Sleepy Hollow on this go around. Oh well, maybe when I read them again in ten years they'll flip positions. Time will tell.
Erin O'Riordan
I got this book as part of a Scholastic Book order when I was a grade schooler. I was more interested in "Sleepy Hollow" than "Rip Van Winkle," but it was one of my introductions to early U.S. literature, and I still love them for that reason. Irving was, after all, the first American to be recognized abroad for his writing talent.
Susan
I've read both these stories many times before, but I appreciate them all over again after listening to them again. I love the way Irving describes places, it is so evocative. I must pull out his book of short stories I have and get cracking and try to regain that magic.
Chase Musick
Apr 23, 2014 Chase Musick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Chase by: No one
When I read this book I didn't think there would be more than one story for some reason. This discovery happened when the first story ended in the middle of the book. Which I didn't really like because the ending of the first story was so quick I didn't even realize I was reading a new story. First it went from galloping away from the headless horsemen to a hobo trotting down the street. Even though this was a big issue to me the two stories were still good and had a lot of reason behind them. I...more
Eli Muehlich
When I read this book I didn't think there would be more than one story for some reason. First it went from galloping away from the headless horsemen to a hobo trotting down the street. Even though this was a big issue to me the two stories were still good and had a lot of reason behind them. I truly loved reading this book from beginning to end.
I really enjoyed this book and would read more of them. I would recommend this to people that like to read classics and enjoy reading the old book. I r...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Local library

I picked up a few copies of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow at the library because my daughter had to read it for her AP English class. I chose a few copies because I wasn’t sure which one she’d want to read and of the four I read the one with Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. My husband decided to read one of the others and my daughter chose yet another. The boys read the last copy, so all the books got some reading love.

The copy I read is from 1967. It is a large print...more
Steven Brandt
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is, without a doubt, the most famous ghost story in all the world. Mention the name of Ichabod Crane to just about anyone, and you will most likely get a tale of the headless horseman, in one form or another. I think this is the first time I’ve heard the story in its original form, and I am very glad to have heard it. Washington Irving has a writing style that is at once beautiful and plain. It reminds me a lot of Mark Twain’s style. Maybe that should be the other wa...more
Ichabod Ogilvy
RIP VAN WINKLE by Washington Irving - five stars. I've always been drawn to Rip's unintentional Messianic complex: 'In a word, Rip was ready to attend to anybody’s business but his own; but as to doing family duty, and keeping his farm in order, he found it impossible.'

Megalomaniacs and people with delusions of grandeur must suffer a lot more that Rip. When they wake up to reality, these swellheads find big nobodies in the mirror.

THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW by Washington Irving - five stars alth...more
Martin
When I started getting into this book, I thought to myself "This is what it would look like if Hitchens or Payne wrote fiction." Then I realized what the common thread was between Irving and these two: complete wizardesque mastery of the English language compounded with the gift for selecting the most proper phrase or word for the narrative. Let alone that I enjoyed the stories from that perspective, that they were out-of-whole-cloth archetypes was a wonderful bonus. I enjoyed very much.
Jupiter394
I was looking for some short books to read to help me meet my reading goals this year and this fit the bill. I have never read or seen movies of any of these tales, except for maybe a cartoon version.

These are two stories just as you'd expect. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery and yet how unlikable Irving makes most of the characters. In Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod Crane is really just a gluttonous gold digger, out to take the family farm and sell it for all he can...more
Megan
The story was wonderful, but the vocabulary was quite dense and reflects when the story was written. I listened to it while driving through the Catskills which was fun. I would not have finished this short volume if I read it in print, but I was longing for my dictionary. The kids hated it.
A very interesting American short story. The Fox Sleepy Hollow and Johnny Depp's Sleepy Hollow aside, this story follows the classic sleepy hollow depictions while giving details I hadn't ever heard about the tale prior to reading it. Both short stories have little to no dialogue and when there are quotation marks it's self-reflection or soliloquy. If that doesn't bother you I highly recommend.

I picked this book up some ten years ago and couldn't handle the lack of conversation. Trying it again...more
Allen S.
summary for sleepy hollow: Ichabod crane was a school master but he didn't know what was in store for him.he went to a party and get rejected by his one true love and he went home but on his way home he ran into the headless horseman. but after that night no one saw him again.

summary for rip van winkle:rip van winkle had a yelling wife so he went up to Catskill mountain and fell asleep and it was 20 years later after waking up.

main characters for rip van winkle:rip van winkle and Mrs. winkle.

ma...more
Athena

This story would have been great had there been an ending. I felt it was abrupt. I never realized that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow was just Ichabod Crane falling victim to the Headless Horseman after trying to woo Katrina Van Tassel only for the wealth she will one day inherit. Because Abraham Van Brunt (Brom Bones) and Ichabod were Katrina's strongest admirers, it could be assumed that Brom Bones had a lot to with the disappearance of Ichabod Crane, fueling the Headless Horseman rumors. I wasn'...more
Mike Jensen
Two American classics? I guess.

I like "Rip Van Winkle" a lot. True, the language is ornate, but I'm mostly OK with that, and I like the light tone and the village satire. Four stars.

I do not like "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" very much. The language seems too ornate even for me and if satire falls flat, so we are left with the story itself. That is alright, but this story is roughly twice as long as Rip, so it takes a long time to get to the point without enough reward once you get there. Two st...more
Monica Heart
Mar 05, 2010 Monica Heart rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone 14 and older.
I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I loved the language and detail the author provided the audience even though at times it became a little bit tedious. I hated the ending because when I decided to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow I thought it was one of the first of its kind- as in one of the earliest American "horror" classics. But, as it turns out, the story wasn't any scarier then any fairy tale by the Grimm Brothers.

Rip Van Winkle, was everything I hoped it'd be and more. I, no...more
Amy
I finally read the original version over the summer. Of course, I was familiar with the story from the Disney animated version that I grew up with, but the writing in the story is incredible. It is so descriptive. I felt like I was walking through those wild wood of another time. Writers had to work harder to build the images with words before there were pictures and movies. The humor was charming and subtle. The story is suspenseful, but not too scary for kids.

This month I'm going read this wit...more
The other John
These are tales I've known for years, but have never really read for myself. I've either read retellings written for children or viewed film adaptions. The originals, of course, are so much better. You have the classic plots, of course, which have captured people's imaginations for generations, and you also have Mr. Irving's rich description of the characters and the settings. These engage the adult heart and mind, as much as the simplified tales reach the inner child's sense of wonder. Once aga...more
Will Boncher
Not very exciting, good example of when renditions are better.
Phair
Definitely atmospheric with lots of colorful descriptions. Very much a story to listen to around a fireplace with the teller gesturing with a clay pipe, shadows flickering. My edition had excellent illustration by a favorite artist, Arthur Rackham. It's funny, but while reading this - even though I pretty much "knew" what was to happen- you wait for a twist of an ending such as we've come to expect from Twilight Zone. As soon as I finished this I started to watch the Johnny Depp movie version-...more
Martin
i have a soft spot in my heart for these stories, as i grew up not far from where they were purported to have happened. also, of all of the washington irving that i've read - which i confess is limited to "the sketch book" - i found these stories by far the best. still, he's not really one of my favorite authors - i find his style distracting and frustrating and his stories (except for these) slow and plodding.

and lastly, levine's illustrations are at times charming, but by and large are not hi...more
Seth
I have read these stories at least four times, and they never disappoint. They are just storytelling for the sake of storytelling. He's not a "this book will change your life" kind of writer--his purpose is just to entertain the reader and give him a break from reality. I haven't come across any of his other stories that I enjoy nearly as much as these, but these are two of the best-written stories out there. Witty, beautifully descriptive, and suspenseful writing make this a must-read.
Samm
I really thought that I would enjoy this book. For me, this was one of those books that is so boring that once you put it down you seriously forget about.
Beth
It was fun to read these little stories. I enjoyed the biography of Washington Irving as well. There are reviews from other authors of his day who described very well his eloquent prose and gentle approach to writing. It is beautiful and sweet but lacks a certain energy. I expected a climax but it never really happened. Washington Irving was described as a man of outstanding character, kindness and good humor. Knowing that made me want to read his stories.
Teri
The language is certainly "old", written in 1819. The next time we revisit these books, we're going to fill an entire notebook with the vocabulary! However, my young girls were able to follow the story, and now get super excited over all the "headless horseman" paraphernalia they see at Halloween time.

PS--Rip Van Winkle would also make a nice read learning about the Revolutionaly War, since he slept right through it.
Ryoji Suzuki
The legend of sleepy hollow ELEMENTARY
11/12 64 minutes

7 words summary
strange-forest-terrible-schoolmaster-heard-noise-drunk

1.What kind of flower do you like? I like blue color, so I I like blue daisy.

2.Do you have a horror experiences? When I was child, I saw human hands on the roof.

This book is very interesting. I was drawn into this story. I think horror story is interesting if these are fiction.
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • Windcatcher
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered
  • Robinson Crusoe (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • Seven Spiders Spinning
  • The Pagemaster
  • Melville's Short Novels: Authoritative Texts, Contexts, Criticism
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
  • The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles
  • The Book of Three (Charmed)
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of...more
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker