Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle
Preview

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,363 ratings  ·  84 reviews
"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is set circa 1790 in the Dutch settlement of Tarry Town, New York, in a secluded glen called Sleepy Hollow. It tells the story of Ichabod Crane, a lean, lanky, and extremely superstitious schoolmaster from Connecticut, who competes with Abraham "Brom Bones" Van Brunt, the town rowdy, for the hand of 18-year-old Katrina Van Tassel, the daughter ...more
Published June 15th 2009 by WLC (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Josette
I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection of Washington Irving's short stories on audio CD. The first on the 4-disc set was "Rip Van Winkle," and the second "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" — the two I most wanted to hear/read. I had read both in junior high school and again in college, but apparently I either didn't pay attention well the first two times or didn't remember them correctly. "Sleepy Hollow" especially was nothing like how I remembered it, and perhaps that's because of all the ...more
Mackenzie Warren
This book was more like a short story... it had a bit of confusing language in it but was over all a good read! i don't know too much about the author but I do know that he had a pretty good idea of what a highschool dance might be like if you replaced the little midget men with Boys and Girls, and instead of bowling you made everyone dancing. But the drinking thing is about right. I know that that is sterio typing and I've been to some of these dances and have not done any questionable things, ...more
Riccardo
Due storie misteriose. La raccolta si apre con la storia intitolata, prendendo spunto dal nome del protagonista principale, "Rip Van Winkle". Rip Van Winkle è un uomo buono, sovente maltrattato da una moglie irascibile, che non esita mai ad aiutare coloro che si trovino in difficoltà ma che si rifiuta, con una tenacia ed un'ostinazione che hanno dell'incredibile, ad occuparsi dei propri affari privati. Questo in quanto Rip Van Winkle è fermamente convinto che il suo terreno sia il più improdutti ...more
Jeffrey Bumiller
Another Halloween inspired reading adventure. I am obliged to love these two tales because their setting, The Hudson Valley in New York State, is where I grew up! They are both a lot of fun, and eerie, if you let your imagine run wild. The writing doesn't blow me away but the stories themselves are so endearing! I actually found Rip Van Winkle to be a little creepier than Sleepy Hollow on this go around. Oh well, maybe when I read them again in ten years they'll flip positions. Time will tell.
Alysia
I read "Strange Men of the Mountains". I thought this was a good book. This was a fairly short story other than an actual lengthy story. I liked this story, well because of the fact it was really short. And it was also kind of humorous. Like Rip Van Winkles wife always nags on him, points her fingers at him. And he just goes to the Catskill Mountains with a keg of beer and drinks, he even takes his dog, Wolf. Wolf and him are always together, it's a mans best friend. Rip Van Winkle will often g ...more
Mike
Do not be deceived into thinking that, because we were children when we first read these stories, that their appeal is limited only to youngsters. Washington Irving is a superb story-teller.

Reading this excerpt, I can't but compare Irving's "Rip", carrying his rather impotent fowling-piece (or Ichabod, who doesn't seem to own a gun at all), to Cooper's Natty Bumppo with his Longue Carabine, Rip shooting squirrels and Natty shooting an eagle (so far away it is nearly out of sight) out of the sky
Erin O'Riordan
I got this book as part of a Scholastic Book order when I was a grade schooler. I was more interested in "Sleepy Hollow" than "Rip Van Winkle," but it was one of my introductions to early U.S. literature, and I still love them for that reason. Irving was, after all, the first American to be recognized abroad for his writing talent.
Susan
I've read both these stories many times before, but I appreciate them all over again after listening to them again. I love the way Irving describes places, it is so evocative. I must pull out his book of short stories I have and get cracking and try to regain that magic.
Ian
I really enjoyed this novel because of how it aroused interest, as well as confusion, throughout the book. I think the author did a great job revealing clues that told the reader a lot, but nothing at the same time. For example, in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow when Ichabod Crane reached the church's bridge, the headless horseman threw his head at him. The next day a pumpkin was found smashed on the ground in the same spot. Was the pumpkin the headless horseman's head, or was it just a pumpkin? Ei ...more
Chase Musick
Apr 23, 2014 Chase Musick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Recommended to Chase by: No one
When I read this book I didn't think there would be more than one story for some reason. This discovery happened when the first story ended in the middle of the book. Which I didn't really like because the ending of the first story was so quick I didn't even realize I was reading a new story. First it went from galloping away from the headless horsemen to a hobo trotting down the street. Even though this was a big issue to me the two stories were still good and had a lot of reason behind them. I ...more
Eli Muehlich
When I read this book I didn't think there would be more than one story for some reason. First it went from galloping away from the headless horsemen to a hobo trotting down the street. Even though this was a big issue to me the two stories were still good and had a lot of reason behind them. I truly loved reading this book from beginning to end.
I really enjoyed this book and would read more of them. I would recommend this to people that like to read classics and enjoy reading the old book. I r
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Local library

I picked up a few copies of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow at the library because my daughter had to read it for her AP English class. I chose a few copies because I wasn’t sure which one she’d want to read and of the four I read the one with Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle. My husband decided to read one of the others and my daughter chose yet another. The boys read the last copy, so all the books got some reading love.

The copy I read is from 1967. It is a large print
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is, without a doubt, the most famous ghost story in all the world. Mention the name of Ichabod Crane to just about anyone, and you will most likely get a tale of the headless horseman, in one form or another. I think this is the first time I’ve heard the story in its original form, and I am very glad to have heard it. Washington Irving has a writing style that is at once beautiful and plain. It reminds me a lot of Mark Twain’s style. Maybe that should be the other w ...more
Ichabod Ogilvy
RIP VAN WINKLE by Washington Irving - five stars. I've always been drawn to Rip's unintentional Messianic complex: 'In a word, Rip was ready to attend to anybody’s business but his own; but as to doing family duty, and keeping his farm in order, he found it impossible.'

Megalomaniacs and people with delusions of grandeur must suffer a lot more that Rip. When they wake up to reality, these swellheads find big nobodies in the mirror.

THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW by Washington Irving - five stars alth
Martin
When I started getting into this book, I thought to myself "This is what it would look like if Hitchens or Payne wrote fiction." Then I realized what the common thread was between Irving and these two: complete wizardesque mastery of the English language compounded with the gift for selecting the most proper phrase or word for the narrative. Let alone that I enjoyed the stories from that perspective, that they were out-of-whole-cloth archetypes was a wonderful bonus. I enjoyed very much.
Susie
Vaguely knowing what each of these stories is about is definitely not the same thing as reading them.

Loved these for their old timey descriptions of New Amsterdam, the "Kaatskill" mountains, "the Tappaan Zee…motionless and glassy" - corroborating with my friend Erin's theory that where NYC is, used to be the most beautiful place in the world. But, did not expect to read about mute elves who go bowling or the town frat boy, "Brom Brom".

Also did not expect to need to reference my dictionary quit
Jupiter394
I was looking for some short books to read to help me meet my reading goals this year and this fit the bill. I have never read or seen movies of any of these tales, except for maybe a cartoon version.

These are two stories just as you'd expect. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the descriptions of the scenery and yet how unlikable Irving makes most of the characters. In Sleepy Hollow, Ichabod Crane is really just a gluttonous gold digger, out to take the family farm and sell it for all he can
Megan
The story was wonderful, but the vocabulary was quite dense and reflects when the story was written. I listened to it while driving through the Catskills which was fun. I would not have finished this short volume if I read it in print, but I was longing for my dictionary. The kids hated it.
Philip
I've always loved these classic old "horror" stories...perfect for a foggy and gray autumn afternoon or evening. If you ever get a chance to visit Sleepy Hollow, NY (Tarrytown), it will greatly enrich your understanding of the setting for these tales.
Isaac
Legend of Sleepy Hollow is one of my favorite stories from childhood but in the last five years I've been forced to read and analysis this story about forty times. To those you compile literary cannon: Irving wrote Rip Van Winkle too.
A very interesting American short story. The Fox Sleepy Hollow and Johnny Depp's Sleepy Hollow aside, this story follows the classic sleepy hollow depictions while giving details I hadn't ever heard about the tale prior to reading it. Both short stories have little to no dialogue and when there are quotation marks it's self-reflection or soliloquy. If that doesn't bother you I highly recommend.

I picked this book up some ten years ago and couldn't handle the lack of conversation. Trying it again
Allen S.
summary for sleepy hollow: Ichabod crane was a school master but he didn't know what was in store for him.he went to a party and get rejected by his one true love and he went home but on his way home he ran into the headless horseman. but after that night no one saw him again.

summary for rip van winkle:rip van winkle had a yelling wife so he went up to Catskill mountain and fell asleep and it was 20 years later after waking up.

main characters for rip van winkle:rip van winkle and Mrs. winkle.

ma
Nikki
Remember having to order this edition from the Troll or Arrow book club and reading both of the stories in our fifth grade English class.
Athena

This story would have been great had there been an ending. I felt it was abrupt. I never realized that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow was just Ichabod Crane falling victim to the Headless Horseman after trying to woo Katrina Van Tassel only for the wealth she will one day inherit. Because Abraham Van Brunt (Brom Bones) and Ichabod were Katrina's strongest admirers, it could be assumed that Brom Bones had a lot to with the disappearance of Ichabod Crane, fueling the Headless Horseman rumors. I wasn'
Sean Chick
Rip Van Winkle is a yawner (yes that was intended!) but The Legend of Sleepy Hallow is a triumph of prose, mood, and made complete by its enigmatic ending. Irving understood the appeal of legend even in the midst of evidence to the contrary (Brom Bones is most likely the rider but this is never fully confirmed). One can see the influence this had on Poe and Lovecraft. The tone and word choices are similar, even if Irving shies from confirming the Horseman as an apparition.
Mike Jensen
Two American classics? I guess.

I like "Rip Van Winkle" a lot. True, the language is ornate, but I'm mostly OK with that, and I like the light tone and the village satire. Four stars.

I do not like "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" very much. The language seems too ornate even for me and if satire falls flat, so we are left with the story itself. That is alright, but this story is roughly twice as long as Rip, so it takes a long time to get to the point without enough reward once you get there. Two st
Monica Heart
Mar 05, 2010 Monica Heart rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone 14 and older.
I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I loved the language and detail the author provided the audience even though at times it became a little bit tedious. I hated the ending because when I decided to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow I thought it was one of the first of its kind- as in one of the earliest American "horror" classics. But, as it turns out, the story wasn't any scarier then any fairy tale by the Grimm Brothers.

Rip Van Winkle, was everything I hoped it'd be and more. I, no
Amy
I finally read the original version over the summer. Of course, I was familiar with the story from the Disney animated version that I grew up with, but the writing in the story is incredible. It is so descriptive. I felt like I was walking through those wild wood of another time. Writers had to work harder to build the images with words before there were pictures and movies. The humor was charming and subtle. The story is suspenseful, but not too scary for kids.

This month I'm going read this wit
The other John
These are tales I've known for years, but have never really read for myself. I've either read retellings written for children or viewed film adaptions. The originals, of course, are so much better. You have the classic plots, of course, which have captured people's imaginations for generations, and you also have Mr. Irving's rich description of the characters and the settings. These engage the adult heart and mind, as much as the simplified tales reach the inner child's sense of wonder. Once aga ...more
P1/2anthonyr
it was a well written book and I really enjoyed it.
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • Great Love Poems
  • The Jungle
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
  • On Golden Pond
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Windcatcher
  • Le cri de l'oie Blanche (Les filles de Caleb, #2)
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Great Ghost Stories (Thrift Editions)
  • Zone
  • Melville's Short Novels: Authoritative Texts, Contexts, Criticism
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra The Devil and Tom Walker