Start by marking “Offene Geheimnisse (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)” as Want to Read:
Offene Geheimnisse (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)

Offene Geheimnisse (Star Trek: Vanguard #4)

Auf Sternenbasis 47 übernimmt ein neuer Kommandant die Führung – während sich sein Vorgänger vor Gericht verantworten muss. Unterdessen kämpft die Geheimdienstoffizierin der Station um ihr Leben und ihren Verstand, während die Spannungen mit den Klingonen zu einem offenen Krieg eskalieren.
Published June 22nd 2009 by Cross Cult (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Offene Geheimnisse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Offene Geheimnisse

Terence
May 15, 2010 Terence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
I've mentioned in my reviews of the Vanguard series how Mack is the visibly better writer than his collaborators. I've offered no examples to illustrate my contention, which is poor form. Partly, that's because this is my brain-candy reading and I'm not picking over it like a grad student studying Horace's use of adverbs.* But I've also recently finished volume five of the 13-volume Chekhov short-story collection, which featured some of his best stories so far (IMO), and it got me to wondering w ...more
Nicky2910
John Mosman
May 07, 2017 John Mosman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Vanguard adventures continues - Commodore Reyes is convicted, the Klingons are closing in, there is a diplomatic opening with Romulans and the Federation is closer to deciphering the alien technologies. Good stuff for Star Trek Fans with a series that does not concentrate on the TV series characters or stories.
David King
Mar 10, 2013 David King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Open Secrets” by Dayton Ward is the 4th novel in the Star Trek Vanguard series which continues the various plotlines kicked off in the previous novels. A prime focus of the narrative in this book is the investigation and trial of the station’s commander, Commodore Reyes who was arrested at the end of the previous book for allowing classified information to be published by a reporter. In addition, the reader gets to the follow the further deterioration of relations with the Klingon and Tholian E ...more
Wes O'Dell
Jul 31, 2009 Wes O'Dell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe
May 28, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished book 4 of the Star Trek Vanguard series, Open Secrets, and I was really pleased. The book is a jumping off point for the second part of the Vanguard story. At the end of the last book the Federation learned of the terrible threat posed by the alien Shedai after several members of Starfleet, and one down-on-his-luck reporter, witnessed the destruction of the Jinoteur system.

Most of the new plots in this book were introduced at the end of the previous volume, what I had described a
Sean Park
Jun 02, 2015 Sean Park rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Vanguard series, Open Secrets is a wonderful edition to the original series universe. This book follows multiple characters throughout the Taurus Reach as the conflicts in the region begin to heat up. While more light has been shone on the Shedai, the ancient race that controlled the Taurus Reach before the federation, these aliens still remain somewhat of a mystery. Similarly, the goals of the Klingons, Tholians, and Romulans are not entirely known either. The book leaves ...more
Bryan Williams
Open Secrets takes an "off day" from the Vanguard series, but again, it is important to read this book to move the story arc along. I wish the publisher insisted that David Mack be the only author of this series. I don't see why they insisted on asking other authors to join the fray. Also, these Vanguard books are hard to find. They must have had one run at the publisher, because I have had to buy used copies, or very expensive trade paperback versions from Amazon - they aren't available to orde ...more
Jimyanni
Nov 09, 2012 Jimyanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book was a good read, an interesting continuation of the over "Vanguard" story as told in the previous three books. If you've read them and enjoyed them, you'll certainly want to read this one, particularly if you intend to read the next offering in the series. If you haven't read the previous three, however, this book will not stand on its own; it has no real plot of its own, but is simply a continuation of the various subplots already established. Some of those subplots are quite interest ...more
Adam
Nov 22, 2015 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
While "Reap the Whirlwind" was always going to be a hard act to follow, Ward manages to advance Ming Xiong's storyline quite nicely with the welcome presence of a rogue Klingon commander and his scientist wife. The introduction of Nogura also works well, and there are some nice nods to continuity - especially the shout outs to the Gorn (TOS: "Arena") and Nimbus III (Star Trek V).

Unfortunately, this volume loses a lot of momentum being bogged down in the Reyes court-martial saga and T'Prynn's eve
John
A very good ST book. One complaint: it's been WELL over a year since the LAST book in this series was released. It was really hard for me to get back into it after that long. There was a cast list at the front of this book, but a more thorough synopsis of what has happened in the previous three books would have been much better. As it was, I found myself have to go back to the last book and read some sections of it to remember more details about what had come before.

Looking forward to the next b
C.D. Reimer
Sep 20, 2011 C.D. Reimer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the previous book in this series several years ago. When I started reading this one, I jumped right back in as if it was only yesterday. (The glossary of major events and characters in the front helped a bit.) Although set in the ST:TOS universe, this series isn't about Captain Kirk and crew but all the people who are present in the background. The political intrigue of all the great empires (i.e., Federation, Klingon, Romulan, etc.) scouring a remote region of deep space for technology l ...more
Victor
Jul 30, 2014 Victor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More like 2.5 stars.

I don't envy the authors of these books. Swapping off writing duties while maintaining a unified voice can't be easy. Until now, the Vanguard series has played it pretty straight. Some twists here and there, usually pretty entertaining. Open Secrets ended with a twist that I cannot condone.

That being said, I will continue to read the series out of a sort of grim curiosity. David Mack is easily the better of the authors who've contributed work so far, so I'm eager to see what
Luke Sims-Jenkins
Jan 04, 2017 Luke Sims-Jenkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Loved it! I didn't think Open Secrets could top Reap the Whirlwind, but it did. As I have mentioned before, if you haven't read the previous three novels then this will be very confusing, but if you had oh boy you are in for a treat! I cannot say too much, because I wouldn't like to spoil anything, but theres a trial in the great Trek tradition, action and intrigue and many twists and turns. Some very surprising cameos too which left a big smile on my face.

I'll say it right now..... Vanguard is
Benjamin Plume
Mar 24, 2013 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a transition novel in the Vanguard series. Everything is in flux. Like many such novels, this transitory state forced it to scale back a bit on the action to make room for character moments and exposition. Either despite this or because of this (I'm honestly not sure which) this was my favorite of the Vanguard novels so far. Now that I'm familiar with the characters, seeing them tested in new and somewhat surprising ways was enjoyable.
Chad Bowers
Just because I couldn't rate this higher than a 3, doesn't mean it was bad...this book covered a long time frame and had some slow moving plot threads, but to the overarching story of Vanguard, it really moved along nicely... It's just after the first 3 unbelievably action packed books, this one slows it down a little. Still a nice addition to the Vanguard series.
Tom
Jul 21, 2013 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Filler for the next in the series. Each book contains too much rehashing of past events. By the 4th installment it is unnecessary to restate the previous actions of books 1-3. Probably done purposely to remind readers since originally there was a gap between publication. As an aside, ebook prices for this series are all over the place for those in the US.
A
Aug 04, 2009 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I feel like now Is a good time to say that this series is one of the best, or at least the most enjoyable that I've read as far as Star Trek is concerned. I'll be really sad when I've finished the last one as the entire universe that's been created in these books is amazing, and one that potentially would have been a more interesting television series than DS9 or Voyager.
Dan
Jan 02, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Open Secrets doesn't quite match the quality of the previous novel, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I give Open Secrets 8/10. It made me happy at times, sad at other times, and occasionally shocked and awed me. Just like a good Star Trek novel should.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/o...
Marc Mason
May 05, 2011 Marc Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vanguard series continues to surprise and entertain. Part of the fun is that, like in the New Frontier books, anything can happen. New characters not beholden to the films or TV series mean the Trek possibilities are nearly endless. Highly recommended.
Javier Luiso
It was a good "bridge" book in Vanguard saga.
Gareth
May 06, 2011 Gareth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found it quite hard to get through, didn't sustain my interest as much as previous instalments in the Vanguard series.
Evan Wood
Oct 17, 2015 Evan Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A fast and fun read with a great cliff-hanger ending!
Stephen
Not bad. I read this out of order and I'm sure that if I had read the first 3 books, this one would've been better. 3/5 for having a dull plot and mostly unknown characters driving it.
Steve
Dec 08, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-series
This series takes the DS9 concept (woefully unappreciated in its day) and moves it back to the Kirk era - love the concept AND the execution.
CJ
May 18, 2012 CJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much filler.
Robert Soroky
Jan 21, 2013 Robert Soroky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the continuing Star Trek: Vanguard series!
Justin
May 19, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scif-fi
Ending was a bit rushed
Leelan
Jun 12, 2009 Leelan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Not as good as those that went before. Not much more to say.
Mario
Jun 05, 2013 Mario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. I really doubted this book could top what happened in book 3, so my expectations weren't all that high. Still, a good solid read.
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co
More about Dayton Ward...

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)