Start by marking “The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms” as Want to Read:
The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

This bestselling reference guide includes 76 entries on traditional and modern poetic forms. Defined in alphabetical order, each entry is allotted 1-7 pages with examples and histories of-and ideas for using-each form.
Published May 22nd 2007 by Teachers & Writers Collaborative (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

Alarie
Aug 28, 2016 Alarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I own at least one book of poetic forms and have used several. I've also looked up individual forms online. This handbook edited by Ron Padgett is the best I've seen. I understand there can be problems getting permissions to reprint poems. This publisher worked that out. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a dry description of a form and list of rhyme schemes (abba cddc...) with no example to make it come alive.
Padgett's book is better for other reasons, too, not the least of which is
Chris
Jul 21, 2016 Chris added it
Not sure this is the kind of book a person ever "finishes", but it is a wonderful collection of traditional and non-traditional forms that was invaluable to me when my school district still believed that Creative Writing was a thing that deserves the kind of support one demonstrates with cash money: you know, the halcyon days before the Texas legislature decided that public education is a system that thrives only when it is lightly funded and heavily tested and diminished by a lie about choice t ...more
Mary
Jul 26, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Fun and informative.
Julie
Dec 06, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone and anyone poet or not
Shelves: poetry
This is a wonderful book. It has sections on poetry forms in general as well as chapters on specific types of poems; Bouts-Rimes, Tercets, Sestinas, etc...

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in poetry - for both aspiring poets and all those who just like to read poetry. Everyone who appreciates poetry can learn things from this book
Anselm
Apr 18, 2008 Anselm rated it it was amazing
Good to teach from - though it helps to just give the kids a loose choice of what to use (or it helps me, I mean). Beware, though, when someone is giving a reading and suddenly whips out all the poems they claim to have written while reading the handbook of forms. Ack.
Dana
Jan 28, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it
Good resource for form. I don't have many to compare it to, but this one's to the point, alphabetized by type and cross-referenced with other forms that are similar, and occasionally provides one or more examples.
Ashley
Feb 17, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive! I use this as a teaching tool and as a inspiration tool - when I'm feeling blocked, I open to a page and try to write whatever form I've just leanred about. Poetic calisthenics.
Rude E
Nov 21, 2007 Rude E rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers
A wonderful look at poetical forms written by a prime poet of various form himself..great for teachers and students of the craft.
Jan 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for any poets out there. I always come back to this book when I'm in the mood for some poetry.
John
Jul 28, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, education
My go-to source for many poetry lessons. Makes poetry fun for kids while offering a high level of challenge.
Mara
Oct 15, 2008 Mara rated it really liked it
I often use this book as a resource when I teach my creative writing class.
Maureen
Jun 24, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Great reference book recommended by my first poetry teacher.
Candace
Sep 01, 2011 Candace rated it liked it
A handy dictionary of poetic forms complete with examples.
Jimmy
Nov 22, 2010 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-writing
Excellent collection especially for teachers of writing.
Holly
Feb 07, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
A great tool for the poet's toolbox.
Clara Okane
Clara Okane rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Ann
Ann added it
Sep 01, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
JJ
JJ rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Hillary
Hillary rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Richard Smith
Richard Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Marc Royston
Marc Royston rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Justin Tapscott
Justin Tapscott marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Brad Hutchinson
Brad Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
  • Contemporary American Poetry
  • Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out
  • Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words
  • Real Sofistikashun: Essays on Poetry and Craft
Ron Padgett grew up in Oklahoma and has lived mostly in New York City since he went there in 1960 to attend Columbia, with stays in Paris, South Carolina, and Vermont. Although a memoirist and translator, most of his writing since 1957 has been poetry. He is a happy grandfather.
More about Ron Padgett...