Start by marking “The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms” as Want to Read:
The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This bestselling reference guide includes 76 entries on traditional and modern poetic forms. Defined in alphabetical order, each entry is allotted 1-7 pages with examples and histories of-and ideas for using-each form.
Published May 22nd 2007 by Teachers & Writers Collaborative (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms

Alarie
I own at least one book of poetic forms and have used several. I've also looked up individual forms online. This handbook edited by Ron Padgett is the best I've seen. I understand there can be problems getting permissions to reprint poems. This publisher worked that out. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a dry description of a form and list of rhyme schemes (abba cddc...) with no example to make it come alive.
Padgett's book is better for other reasons, too, not the least of which is
Julie
Dec 06, 2009 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone and anyone poet or not
Shelves: poetry
This is a wonderful book. It has sections on poetry forms in general as well as chapters on specific types of poems; Bouts-Rimes, Tercets, Sestinas, etc...

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in poetry - for both aspiring poets and all those who just like to read poetry. Everyone who appreciates poetry can learn things from this book
Anselm
Good to teach from - though it helps to just give the kids a loose choice of what to use (or it helps me, I mean). Beware, though, when someone is giving a reading and suddenly whips out all the poems they claim to have written while reading the handbook of forms. Ack.
Dana
Good resource for form. I don't have many to compare it to, but this one's to the point, alphabetized by type and cross-referenced with other forms that are similar, and occasionally provides one or more examples.
Ashley
Very comprehensive! I use this as a teaching tool and as a inspiration tool - when I'm feeling blocked, I open to a page and try to write whatever form I've just leanred about. Poetic calisthenics.
Rude E
Nov 21, 2007 Rude E rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
A wonderful look at poetical forms written by a prime poet of various form himself..great for teachers and students of the craft.
Excellent resource for any poets out there. I always come back to this book when I'm in the mood for some poetry.
John
My go-to source for many poetry lessons. Makes poetry fun for kids while offering a high level of challenge.
Mara
I often use this book as a resource when I teach my creative writing class.
Maureen
Great reference book recommended by my first poetry teacher.
Candace
A handy dictionary of poetic forms complete with examples.
Jimmy
Excellent collection especially for teachers of writing.
Holly
A great tool for the poet's toolbox.
Frances Levy
Frances Levy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Jocelyn Almy-testa
Jocelyn Almy-testa marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Kaitlyn Jones
Kaitlyn Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Daniel Eads
Daniel Eads marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Danya
Danya marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Diane Hamilton
Diane Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words
  • The Art of the Poetic Line
  • The Poet's Companion: A Guide to the Pleasures of Writing Poetry
  • The Art of Description: World into Word
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Rules for the Dance: A Handbook for Writing and Reading Metrical Verse
  • Writing Poems
  • The Collected Poems
  • Next Life
  • The Way It Is: New and Selected Poems
  • The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice for Beginning Poets
Ron Padgett grew up in Oklahoma and has lived mostly in New York City since he went there in 1960 to attend Columbia, with stays in Paris, South Carolina, and Vermont. Although a memoirist and translator, most of his writing since 1957 has been poetry. He is a happy grandfather.
More about Ron Padgett...
How to Be Perfect You Never Know Great Balls of Fire Joe: A Memoir of Joe Brainard How Long