Start by marking “The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  152,081 Ratings  ·  9,945 Reviews
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses
Published February 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Iron King, please sign up.

Jen Rothmeyer Puck.

Ash is merely an attractive face who is hung up on an old girlfriend. They have no history and no relationship. There is absolutely no reason for either of them to be at all interested in each other except hormones, and the level of engagement the author gave to the relationship is rather unrealistic.(less)
Sharon Schultz No, I really don't think it is. Unless you like brainless, weepy heroines and RAMPANT tropes beating you over the head with horrendously flagrant…moreNo, I really don't think it is. Unless you like brainless, weepy heroines and RAMPANT tropes beating you over the head with horrendously flagrant displays of cliche.(less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
29th out of 24,521 books — 61,318 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
28th out of 4,560 books — 9,036 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 28, 2010 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This book was outstanding. I mean really... I was totally enthralled from page one to page three hundred and sixty eight. I am blown away at the sheer awesomeness that emits from this book.

First off, I’m a huge fan of “Fae” in general, especially love reading this type of story. But at the same time, when it comes to book about fae there are a lot of similarities. Many books share the same mythology, the Summer Court and Winter Court, references to Midsummer Night’s Dream... The Iron King has t
May 04, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, 2010
The Iron King is a mess of a book, so much so that I don't even know where to begin in reviewing it, my thoughts are almost as scattered as the author’s. This book reads like bad fan fiction, borrowed bad fan fiction at that. Riddled with erroneous scenes, lacking in character development, and one incredibly far-fetched villain, it was impossible for me to enjoy. I searched everywhere, but could find nothing to like. I can't even summarize the story as their is simply too much of it, and yet not ...more
Feb 07, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-ya-ya
Wow!- As many others have stated, at first glance THE IRON KING appears to be your typical faerie book. Summer court? Check. Winter court? Check. Shakespeare-esque characters? Check. Yes there are similarities, but these lie only in the bare backbone of the story. Yes there are those faerie courts and A Midsummer Night's Dream characters (Oberon, Titania, etc), but they are necessary for the make-up of the story. From here on out, Julie Kagawa makes THE IRON KING shine in the already-faerie inun ...more
The Flooze
**6.12.2011 ETA: Finished book three and this is one of the most frustrating YA series I've read to date. If you've no tolerance for angsty, bratty, obtuse heroines, steer right clear of it.**

Julie Kagawa’s YA novel is an interesting treatment of Celtic legend, with characters reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland and the movie Labyrinth. Kagawa’s vision of Faerie (or the NeverNever) is fully-realized and her particular talent lies in description--her world feels incredibly alive. I can
I liked it, I didn't like it, I liked it I didn't like it IlikeditIdidn'tlikeit...
I'm torn.
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
The Iron King was an enjoyable read, but not exactly a memorable one. And while there were certain elements to it that were fairly original, the majority of the story felt like the same old tired scenario that Holly Black and Melissa Marr have already used. And because I'm ornery for details - the linguistically accurate term is fay, not fey. Just saying.

For a protagonist, I certainly enjoyed Meghan Chase more than whosit from the Holly Black book and Madam Skank from the other author's book. Th
Before I begin this review, I'd like to clear something up. Keep in mind, it is complete fact*:

If there were 100 women in the world, 90 of those people would think long hair on a guy is gross. Of the 10 remaining women who aren't totally turned off by long hair, 8 of those women are scifi, fantasy, or romance authors.

Julie Kagawa, what the heck? You took a guy that could be a total babe (okay, who am I kidding, he still is) and gave him "silky" long locks. Blech.

This book took my ultimate night
Kat Kennedy
ICOFA (InCase of Fairy Abduction)

In the event that you are abducted by fairies, please adhere to the following guidelines so that I don't have to watch or read about you blundering through fairyland like an incompetent idiot.

1. Never thank a fairy for services rendered.
2. Never eat fairy food.
3. Never dance with fairies.
4. Never strike a bargain with a fairy unless you've agreed on the fine points.

The Iron King is a book about a sixteen year old girl, Meghan Chase. Can I advise all people readi
Endearing Heroine? Check. Unique plot? Check. Gripping story that sucks you right in? Check. Loveable and interesting secondary characters? Check. Hot romance? Check!

You see? DING DING DING DING DING ! Jackpoooooot!

God, I pretty much devoured this book. As so many others I find it rather difficult to review books that I loved and seeing as the Iron King will join the rest of my favorite books in my personal hall of fame I can hardly come up with anything to say about it except for: This.Was.Trul
Jan 20, 2011 Nic rated it it was ok
Steph Sinclair

Ummm....WOW! That is how I felt after reading The Iron King. Simply amazing. I was lost in this book for a few days and I never wanted to leave the beautiful world Julie Kagawa painted. This is the best "Fey" book I have ever read!

What I liked about this book: everything! There is not one thing I would change. I rarely give books 5 stars unless the story really calls to my soul. And boy was this book singing! The characters were totally believable and realistic. Puck is my favorite bc he is simp
Mar 22, 2011 SKB rated it it was ok
Beware of spoilers! I'm really not a good reviewer, spewing spoilers like this. But sowwie.

See, I haven't read many books on the fey. The last one I read was Spells by Aprilynne Pike. That didn't go well, meaning that it sucked platypus poop. So when I devoured The Iron King in a week, I was utterly mesmerized by it. The characters, the concepts, the world building, the colors and mist, the overall beauty of it, made me want to take a stroll in a garden while munching on Godiva neapolitan truff
I know allot of people loved this book...don't kill me but... eh, I really didn't like this book much. Half way through I was enjoying it, but then it just fell flat for me. It was quite hard to finish. I just keep hearing the same inner debate from Meghan and thought she needed to stop thinking about what she should do and just F***ing do it! I mean really how many times are you just going to stand there and let something happen to you without catching on that you should move the H*LL out of th ...more
Jun 14, 2012 Katya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, the-ya-project
Well, that was mighty unimpressive.

I'd seen this series mentioned several times, but I never really thought about reading it. The premise was, sorry, just like any other girl-with-secret-destiny-and-two-hot-guys book out there, and I've read enough of those to be weary of sneaky marketing. But then I read Kagawa's "The Immortal Rules", and I admit, I was impressed, even if I thought the book had problems. So I picked this series up.

Well, first of all, I think that this is probably going to
Final rating: 3/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 3.5/5 stars

To venture in a world of The Iron Fey, you must proceed with this knowledge:

1. This is not a book about fairies like these:

Imagine evil - well, not all of them are evil- ELVES, so called FAERY or plural FEY.

2. They don't have wings (well, most of them don't) and there are many of them like dryads, goblins, gremlins, kelpies, ogres and so on and on.

3. In this world, fey are not to be trusted! They will always go for favors and
Whitley Birks
I don’t mind if you want to write a story with a “green” message, if you want to encourage people to value and protect nature, if you want to say the narrative equivalent of “yo, bro, you don’t seem to have noticed that pollution is bad.”

But when you do that by literally killing the embodiment of the dream of human progress?

Sweetie, we’re going to have issues.

So let’s break down all the many ways this doesn’t work, shall we? In this anti-science, anti-reason, anti-all-that-is-separating-us-from-
Khanh (the Grinch)
Jan 16, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it really liked it
I don't think there's anything further I can add to what's already been said about this legendary book. There is so much to love, and very little I found objectionable. This is my second time reading it, with a more critical view, and I found that I enjoy it even more this time around.

The plot in a nutshell: Meghan's little brother Ethan has been acting strange, and it turns out he has been replaced by a changeling. She and her long-time best friend Robbie (more popularly known as Robin Goodfell
Blacky *Romance Addict*

I almost DNF-ed this one. It just irritated me to no end :(

But then I met Ash. He deserves the 3 stars here <3

You know, sometimes less is more.

The Iron Fey universe obviously doesn't know of the concept "less" :(((

Up to 40%, the heroine sees about a 150 different creatures, a bit less in the second half but overall she sees a million of them and they're all described like crazy. I know, now you're thinking, Blacky you're a moron or your brain is non-existent for not being able to cope with
Emily May
Aug 07, 2014 Emily May rated it liked it
“Something was happening, something strange and creepy and terrifying, and the scariest part of all was that it wore a familiar, ordinary face.”

3 1/2 stars.

While The Immortal Rules series is still Kagawa's winner for me so far, I was actually really pleasantly surprised by this book. Almost everyone I know picked up this series a few years back and I deliberately avoided it. YA paranormal with a love triangle? Yeah, no thank you. But I've been meaning to see if I was wrong ever since I reall
Feb 12, 2015 Laz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal lovers
This is not my first read of fae, though it's not like I've read tons of books about fairies. In fact this is the second book I've ever read that's completely about fairies. I must confess that I'm impress. I really liked this book. The world is amazing, full of wonders, magical creatures, and of course our annoying but amazing fairies.

Well, when you say 'fairy' the first thing that comes to your mind has to be Tinkerbell. Come on, admit it, even if you're not proud of it, that's what you see wh
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Zero-project – Dance of the fairies
Licorne Argente – Seelie Court
Licorne Argente – Unseelie Court

Genre: fantasy, YA
Stuff: fairies, jester, prince and awesome cat
Setting: US, Nevernever
Fail: naivety
WOW: world-building and mythology, Grimalkin
POV: 1st-person, female
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

There's just something so satisfying in reviewing a much hated book that I genuinely liked a lot. Or is that just me? See, when I'm in the minority, it's usually because I can't bring myself to understand the fucking appeal of some asshole who's loved by everyone and his cousins.

The opposite is rarer, but it does happen. Proof's The Iron King. Even if I read it in 2014, back in the time when I was new to GR and barely back to reading, I won't change my rating. Here's why.

I loved this book.
I l
Dec 23, 2015 Katerina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Before everything else,I need to express my strong belief in the existence of fairies,because they would perish without our dreams and thoughts and hopes.I've got your back guys,I will not let you fade into oblivion!

"Yeah,Mom,Ethan’s turned into a monster and my best friend thinks he’s a faery.How was your day?"

As you can see,Meghan's life is not that simple.She used to be the girl that lived by the swamp,an outcast,until her 16th birthday,when a creature disguised as her little brother trie
Colleen Houck
What a fascinating fey world. My favorite part of it was the Machina fey. Loved the description of the computer mice that scampered around and the iron trees and acid rain. Just as cool was Mab's realm with the frost and winter scenery. Ash's powers were super cool.
Norah Una Sumner
Real rating: 3.5

Not sure if I like this book or if I'm completely irritated by it.The characters were okay-Meghan can be pretty stubborn sometimes,but I was okay with it.What irritated me was that she apparently had problems with getting out of the way of creepy fae monsters?I mean,someone will tell her to hide but she will just sit there and do nothing.Ugh.

Robin is great,I really liked him,he's funny and cute but I don't see him as a potential love interest of Meghan.I was determined not to lik
Simona Bartolotta
"Of all the stupid ideas! What is wrong with you?"

-Robin Goodellow aka Puck when asked to choose a sentence to describe Meghan When-in-danger-when-in-doubt-run-in-circles-scream-and-shout Chase. We all appreciate his outspokenness.

As a matter of fact, I'm rating this three stars not because it's good (that's what the three-star rating means for me); I'm rather doing it because it's not bad, in a pleasant way. It does no harm. The book is undoubtedly pretty naive, childish at times, crammed full
Okay, I can't do this anymore. DNF at 62%. This is a negative review, so if you liked the book please respect my opinion as I respect yours.

... this book. You see, this is not a situation in which I can say that the book wasn't bad but it just wasn't for me (as it happened with Cruel Beauty, or even with Fangirl). This book is terrible. It's every cliché and stereotype in YA fantasy in one single book.
It was honestly painful for me to even get this far, and I don't want to do this anymore. Ever
Cait • A Page with a View
I really wanted to like this one. I love A Midsummer Night's Dream and anything to do with faeries and/or Irish mythology, but those aspects of the plot still didn't make up for how annoying I found the characters and story as a whole.

The writing isn't bad, though, and I really think I would've enjoyed it in middle school!! So it's not you, it's me... maybe I should stop reading all of these tween books like The Selection and expecting mature characters or complex stories. (THE PRETTY COVERS GE
Jun 10, 2016 lolo' rated it really liked it
Well this gave me unexpected amounts of anxiety.

But oh my goodness I enjoyed this sosososooooo much. It is both fun and intense. And the characters are so funny and sarcastic. And I can say that the world is very very unique.

The only reason I do not give it 5 stars is cause of the information overload we get for the first like 60% of the book.

But the characters I LOVE.

Puck is my favorite!! I have not laughed so much because of a character since Kenji and bless that this is a 4 book series! And
Addicted to YA: Meghan, Ash, and Puck 18 469 Oct 17, 2016 04:33PM
Are You Team Puck or Team Ash? 156 490 Oct 02, 2016 01:05PM
Addicted to YA: Robin Goodfellow (Iron Fey) 25 290 Jul 10, 2016 06:39AM
Which do I read? 3 23 Jun 14, 2016 11:43PM
The bookcorner YA: The iron fey serie 5 11 May 07, 2016 05:16AM
The YA Dystopian ...: The Iron King (Iron Fey #1) 1 8 Apr 30, 2016 06:15PM
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Brightly Woven
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Perchance to Dream (Théâtre Illuminata, #2)
  • Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)
  • Tiger's Voyage (The Tiger Saga, #3)
  • The Charmed Return (Faerie Path, #6)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Fateful
  • Illusions (Wings, #3)

The Iron Fey (7 books)
  • The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #1)
  • The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #2)
  • The Iron Warrior (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #3)

“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?” 2467 likes
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?” 1614 likes