Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #10)

Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,233 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Magi'i of Cyador is the beginning of a new story arc from the rich depths of the history of Recluce. It is the story of Lorn, a talented boy born into a family of Magi'i.

A fastidious student of remarkable talent, Lorn lacks the single most coveted attribute required of a Magus of Cyador: unquestionable loyalty. Lorn is too independent for his own good. So he's made into a

Published (first published 2000)

Jim
This is currently the first book in the Recluse series chronologically. A Chaos based society, although Order workers are part of the society, they're just not as highly thought of.

The hero is Modesitt's standard guy; thoughtful, responsible & with limited, but above average powers. A hero in his understated way.

This is one of my favorite books of the series.
Jeremy Preacher
The Cyador pair may be my favorite of the Recluce novels. They're cohesive, form a compelling arc, and have a number of engaging characters - not just the main character. They're fairly distant chronologically from all of the rest, even the Angels books, and that allows them some substantial freedom - they're also much more about maintaining an empire in the face of failing resources than about the order/chaos dichotomy that is the focus of all the rest.

They're not perfect. Lorn is a solid chara...more
Indy Buchanan
I read the Imager Portfolio series a couple times over but found it harder to get into the Recluse novels. I read the Saga of Recluse but didn't love it enough to read the others in the series. While purchasing Rex Regis I saw this book and gave it a try. I found it to be less about political intrigue and more about Lorn's journey much like the first Imager book. I understand why Modesitt writes in repetition, but that doesn't make it any less difficult to get through. All in all, a good but not...more
MarsianMan
This book was in present tense, and something about the writing made me feel removed from the story. I found the effect subtle and slightly disconcerting, nevertheless I really liked this book. I think Lorn's goal was clear, but in a subtle manner which drove me slightly crazy. I almost had to read the second book just to make sure my guess was right :-P.

Lorn (the main character) is a gifted, diligent (but lacking passion) student of Chaos (magic). He gets transferred to the army in an effort to...more
Gordon
I generally don't like the White wizards, but since Lorn ended up in the Lancers with mage abilities more in the grey I was able to enjoy this book a bit more than the previous ones with Cerryl. The Cast in this book was interesting and alot of intrigue abounded that he had to over come. Plus going back to cyador before the Angels came to the planet was interesting to see how it was and behaved. I liked that they over all understood the black side and didn't really ignore it as much as fairhaven...more
Rob
...Modesitt gave the series a good shake up with the White/Chaos oriented books, something the series needed, I don't think he could have gone on as long as he did by just writing from the Order side of things. In fact, I would not mind if he wrote another White story. This book is among the best in the series and I very much enjoyed this reread. So much so in fact, that I was temped to pick of Scion of Cyador right away...

Full Random Comments Review
Jay Hendricks
Nov 25, 2007 Jay Hendricks rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy
Yet another of L.E. Modesitt's books, this one, an older book, follows the exploits of Lorn, a boy born to White Wizards (effectively) in ancient Cyador. The time period is the earliest of any of the Recluse books, thus offering a look into the society formed from the ancient people who settled the world from the Rational Stars. This group of people focuses upon Chaos, unlike those who land on the world in "Fall of Angels." A good book, but you should be warned that it'll be great and almost nec...more
Liviu
After loving the Imager books and being in the mood for more fantasy of the alt/secondary world kind, I started reading the Recluce saga in chronological order. The first complete duology of Cyador (Magi and Scion) begins the saga and tell the story of Lorn, mage and soldier. Lorn is actually sort of similar to Rhenn of Imager, though this one starts slower dues especially to the third person narration which lessens the immediacy of the Imager books; the final book of the duology is excellent th...more
Jordan
Reading this again while I wait on some new books to get here. What I really like about books 10 and 11 are that this character unlike others actually acts like a real human being. He actually will do things for personal reasons and be damned with the greater good. While he does keep the greater good in mind, nothing comes before family and loved one.
Craig
Multiple re-read. This title and its sequel may be the best of the series. Modesitt has clearly become a better writer - eliminating much of the repetition and filler of the earlier books, while retaining the details that expand the world-building and plots.
Mary-stuart Gallian
A little slow at the beginning, once the story gets started Modesitt does weave quite an intricate story of intrigue around the main character.
Ruth Ann
This one and the Scion of Cyador are ones I read at least once a year. These are my favorites out of all the Recluce Saga.
Leigh
Hard for me to get into but can see need to reread to pick up on some of the history of Recluse.
Loretta
reread over holidays
Lyn
Love Love Lorn...He is probably next to Justin, my favorite Modesitt character. Lorn is just sexy. LOL
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Shekhar
Shekhar marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Saintly Horizons
Saintly Horizons marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Rudolph Wolfenstein
Rudolph Wolfenstein marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • Fortress of Dragons (Fortress, #4)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Isle of Battle (The Swans' War, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u...more
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)