The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel

The Journal of Mortifying Moments: A Novel

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Kerry Spence is unfulfilled by her soulless career in advertising, disappointed by her dysfunctional relationship, and horrified by the ever-increasing size of her ass. Ever since her gorgeous, self-absorbed boyfriend Sam demoted her to late night hook-up status, she has fortified herself with prime-time TV and blissful binges on cream cheese frosting, awaiting an epiphany...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Journal of Mortifying Moments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of Mortifying Moments

Jasmine
If I could, I'd rate this a 3.5. Not something I'd necessarily read again, but definitely something I enjoyed while it lasted.

Harding's portrayal of Kerry, the main character with insecurities both in her social life and the workplace, reminds me exactly how befuddling people of my gender can be, haha. ^^; Though I had my fair share moments of shaking my head at Kerry because of her wild breakouts of paranoia, I loved watching Kerry slowly realize that things in her life wouldn't be pieced toget...more
Neena
I’m not usually a chicklit reader and it’s very rare that I pick these kinds of books. But I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. This book was really funny and so fresh. I found myself laughing out loud all through the book. Kerry’s character was so funny and so very normal. All the way through story I was reading funny parts from the book to my husband who could not stop laughing too.

What a pleasant read this book was. If you have lost interest in reading just go and pick th...more
Burd
Jul 11, 2011 Burd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who needs a good laugh
Shelves: fiction, humour
I usually don't read this sort of light, humorous chic lit novel...Really, I don't. But you know, I gotta admit I found myself laughing out loud many times reading this little rhinestone gem. Sometimes I was in public places. I nearly busted a gut in the waiting room at the dentist's office. Talk about mortifying moments!

The main character Kerry Spence has a unique way of looking at herself and others. She sees the absurdity of little everyday things that others seem to accept as normal behavior...more
Ilona
Oh, good lord. I conscientiously read every page up to the beginning of chapter 16 (page 136) before I decided I simply couldn't stand another minute of the vapid Kerry Spence. Would she never grow up?

Initially, I thought the premise of the story was that, through keeping a journal of her 'mortifying moments' (failed relationships with men), Kerry would develop the self-awareness necessary to have a successful relationship, successful friendships, a successful career.

Wrong.

Though I read every wo...more
Celeste
Bridget Jones' Diary was a hilarious book. The Journal of Mortifying Moments is an unfortunate attempt to write the same story, in Seattle and sans hilarity. Sorry excuse of a love life? Check. Too much drinking? Check. Girlfriends plus the obligatory gay male friend? Check. Sappy ending involving great guy and new job? CHECK. Funny stuff? Funny... where's the funny? I guess there were a few funny moments. That's why I gave it two stars instead of one.
Tara
This had all the ingredients for a good chick lit novel, but for some reason, it didn't quite all come together. I can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't engage me the way I expected it to.
Michele
Fun book and quick read. I would definitely recommend this as a plane ride/road trip/doctor's office wait book - highly immersive novel.

Some of the immersivity created by this novel comes from the straightforward writing, some from the character, and some from the humor in the book. Together, they produce a really pleasant and fun read. I found myself trying not to laugh aloud at times (because it would've been pretty embarassing) and although I've never really been in the situation that the sin...more
Kimbie
For me this is an important book since it gave me the will and enthousiasm I needed to start reading books again. I used to read books more often when I was younger but when you start getting busy, you think reading a book takes so much of your attention, you can't find the time.

So one day when I was in the library looking around, I noticed an interesting title which made me take the book. I actually already began reading the book in the library and taking it home with me almost finished.

It made...more
Odile
For a girl who hates everything chick-lit, chick-flicks (gah! ew...) I read this book in one sitting and enjoyed all of it. I was kind of in a crisis of reading boring school books and decided I needed something light and refreshing, and I got what I got with this one. I love Kerry so much, she is so relatable and hilarious! I laughed out loud throughout the whole thing! I just wish that there would be a bit more story at the end. The ending felt like a closure ending, but I just wanted a bit mo...more
Savannah
While not the most original book on the shelves The Journal of Mortifying Moments is actually a great read! This book was funny and cute; there were moments I couldn't help but laugh out loud. Kerry was so down to earth and was written to be loved by all. She is sweet,funny, clumsy and to be honest a bit of a mess. The scenarios she has gone through in her mortifying romantic endeavors are all exactly that.... mortifying!
This was a good light relaxing read that anone with a sense of humour woul...more
Lesley
Absolutely hilarious, so much fun reading this book.
Kelly11
I loved this book... it was so funny! The main character has to go back and relive her most "mortifying" moments in order to get closure and move on in her life. The descriptions are very vivid and humorous...the author takes you back in to the 80's when the main character grew up...scrunchies, bad perms, and great cheesy music..kinda reminded me a little bit of the movie "13 Going On 30." Loved this book! Hope she writes some more books...
Meaghan
there were some funny parts and i enjoyed the conversational tone.
Kourtney
On one hand this story is predictable and the main character, Kerry, was a bit naive at times (most times). On the other hand Kerry had me laughing out loud and wondering if I should journal my own mortifying moments! This is an easy "beach read" that brought a smile to my face. I'm glad I got to share in Kerry's life, and know better than to ever drape scarves over lights next to candles!
María Vega-Tiru
I found this book during one of my trips to Montreal - and the title alone made me feel like I could've written it. I read it, and whiile it wasn't precisely the story of my life, I loved it - it kept me in stiches and was such a easy read. I have since lost the book - but would love to re-read it some time (maybe get some ideas out of it, to make those mortifying moments a little more fun :)
Karla
Entertaining, funny, a good read. But I found it a little unbelievable. The main character, Kerry, is supposed to have self-esteem issues (leading her to keep a journal of mortifying moments). But so many times in the book she does things that I don't think someone with her level of self-esteem problems would do. I don't think the author had a good hold on who her main character really was.
Jamie Pfammatter
Light, cute & hilarious! Perfect escape book. The humor was witty and sarcastic and the main character likable for the most part. My only complaint with Kerry was that she cried at least once per chapter but to be fair it was often justified. Would recommend to those with a good sense of humor, who enjoy chick lit with a little more fun and a little less mushy romance!
Lisa
The chick lit book was probably my favorite of the fluffy chick lit titles I read for my genre titles. After a bad break-up twenty-something Kerry Spence goes to see a therapist who asks her to keep a journal of her past relationships. It turns into a hilarious journal of mortifying moments. This book made me laugh out loud at times. It was a lot of fun.
Lindsay Hunter
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys clever chick-lit. It is hilarious, sarcastic and witty. I think this was the first book where I actually caught myself laughing out loud. I've re-read it about 3 times and it is just as funny every time as it was the first time.
Erin
This book is cute...that's what I will say about it. It does make me want to keep a journal of all the things that go "wrong" with guys from my past and present for some good laughs. A book that is pry not worth the time unless you are looking for a good laugh or a very fast read!
Sadia Khan
Super funny and super cute! It sure was fun reading this book and I would definitely read it again, that is, if I have nothing on my mind and I'm up for a good laugh.
This book also seemed very similar to Sophie Kinsella books.
I have totally enjoyed this book.
Marina Rottiers
Dagboek van genante momenten is de Nederlandstalige versie van deze roman. Af en toe een chick lit boek tussendoor vind ik leuk. Dit boek was grappig en ja waarom zou het niet de ervaring kunnen zijn van het meisje dat je iedere dag tegenkomt in de lift op je werk?
Lindsay
I read this practically in one sitting! I very much identified with the protagonist, a single woman in the city. Too bad the actual author is married with children.

At any rate, I hope she writes more. As long as the forthcoming books don't feature children.
Jen
The main character steers away from using foul language, but the author isn't shy to drop the f-bomb from a sub-character's mouth. Didn't get past the first couple of pages. I was disappointed because I really liked where I thought the book was going to go.
Carmen
I realized a few chapters in that I had read this before, but I couldn't remember how it ended. That didn't bode well for the story, but I decided to finish reading it.

It was ok; not a bad story, but I don't think it was worth reading twice.
 Barb Bailey
This book was ok. I think women in their 20s and 30s would relate to this book much better than me. Still it was interesting and did have some rather funny (even though sometimes predictable) stories in it! I give this book a solid 3 star rating!
Ashley
Jul 30, 2007 Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all chicks
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was also one that I could totally relate with. It's like you can feel for her and recall times when you were in her situation. It's a really great book. Felt like I was reading my own journal at times. Loved it!
Jenny
Although I pretty much loathed the female weakness that permeated this book, her goofy mishaps did make me giggle sometimes. I'd recommend it for "fluffy reading" if you're laying around on a Sunday or on the beach.
Libby
Another easy read - finished this (sadly) in one night. Nothing very surprising in the plot, but overall it's well written and cute. Great book for the beach, or for comparing some of your own humiliating moments.
Shanna
I don't usually read chick lit, but I was surprised at how funny this book actually was. It's not great literature, but it is entertaining. If you might be interested in reading chick lit, I recommend it.
  • The Book of Jane
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Younger
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Woman To Woman
  • Daddy's Girls
  • Accidental It Girl
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Angel (Angel Summer, #1)
  • Carrie Pilby
  • The Ten Best Days of My Life
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • The Thin Pink Line
Robyn Harding grew up in Quesnel, a logging town in central British Columbia. To relieve her small town angst, she turned to creative writing (among other, less wholesome pursuits).

After studying English Lit., journalism and marketing, Robyn stumbled into a career in advertising. When her children were born, she left the ad agency to work as a freelance copywriter. That's when she decided to try h...more
More about Robyn Harding...
The Secret Desires of a Soccer Mom Unravelled Chronicles of a Midlife Crisis My Parents Are Sex Maniacs: A High School Horror Story Mom, Will This Chicken Give Me Man Boobs?: My Confused, Guilt-Ridden, and Stressful Struggle to Raise a Green Family