Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Swimming Pool Sunday
On a hot May Sunday, the Delaneys open their pool to all the village for charity. Louise is there with her daughters, ignoring her estranged husband Barnaby as she lies back in the sun and dreams of Cassian, the new man in her life. But suddenly the perfect day is shattered when tragedy strikes. A terrible accident leads to a drama of recriminations and...more
Published (first published March 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

Amanda - Go Book Yourself
I can see why Madeleine changed her name before starting the shopaholic series. I can imagine she had a reputation as being quite a poor writer after releasing these books.

It's basically a novel about a group of "wealthy" plebs that get together for a tennis match, act like wankers and treat each other like pricks.

Every type of cliche you can think of us present :
The rich snobs
The rich but common as muck
The ex wife
The horsey child

Definitely one to miss.
ais ariani
menemukan buku ini saat lagi hunting buku ringan untuk dibaca. hei...dengan jadwal tetap senin-jumat, siapa yang butuh buku-buku serius? someone out there, tapi yang pasti bukan aku. hahahhahaha...

ceritanya membingungkan di awal, karena terlalu banyak tokoh yang tidak dideskripsikan dengan detail, sehingga terkadang di tengah-tengah aku harus balik ke halaman depan buat tahu si ini itu siapa ya?

dan butuh waktui lama banget buat nyelesainnya.dan ini baru nyampek separuh. entah selesai atau enggak...more
Stephanie Deguara
Having read the reviews on here for this book I had very low expectations. However I was pleasantly surprised... It is not a literary masterpiece, but it is a brilliant book for a light summer hol read. The characters were hard to follow at the beginning but became richer as the weekend progressed.
Karen Cook
I found this pretty uninteresting, it wasn't a strong story and the characters were fairly weak.
Definitely no where near as good as the shopoholic series by the same author.
Kate
The books by 'Sophie kinsella' are all better than the 'Madeleine wickham' ones. I finished reading "the tennis party" last week. It was an easy, perfect for a lazy Christmas break read. Some parts of the book are predictable and, like a few of the Madeleine wickham books, is based around rich folk. Hope it's not a realistic account otherwise I never want to be rich!!!

As long as you don't take the book seriously it is a good read for while on holiday etc.
I second the saying of a fellow goodreads member, couldn't say it better: "I can see why Madeleine changed her name before starting the shopaholic series. I can imagine she had a reputation as being quite a poor writer after releasing these books".

I wonder how one and the same person can write books that are so different: one set is dull and boring and another one is witty and engaging.
Neni Puji Artanti
2 bintang saja untuk madeleine wickham alias sophie kinsella pada the tennis party ini. ceritanya ngalir sih. selesai dalam penerbangan banda aceh jakarta tanpa transit. ceritanya sendiri sooo cheesy, tanpa twist menarik, dan penyelesaian yang buruk. tidak meninggalkan kesan apa apa. saya lebih suka kinsella dengan cerita cerita pop-nya daripada isu isu (yang dipaksain) sosial ini.
Emma Walker
Have now read all of the Madeleine Wickham books apart from The Gatecrasher and have found most of them to be really odd. I wondered with the first one whether it was set in teh 20s rather than present day. If you are a big Sophie Kinsella fan definitely do not expect more of the same with these. The best is probably Cocktails for Three.
Keely
It took me a while to get in to this book if I am honest, I felt a bit bored until I got to halfway and then things started to make sense and I began to enjoy it.

Not a bad read, but it didn't suck me in like some books I have read recently.
guess94
i hate the tennis party.
i simply adored her other books like twenties girl and the wedding girl.
but this book simply put me off from readin her other books.
*no offense*
Michelle
Probably the worst Madeleine Wickham book there is. A bunch of stuck up rich idiots all together for a tennis party. Couldnt relate to a single character.
Lele
Tennis party is boring in my opinion. Since it was my birthday gift from my sister's boyfriend, i forced myself to read it and skimmed lots of pages.
1976
A very predictable story. Not at all exciting or unexpecting. Wish I never had read really.
Judy Bartkowiak
Both excellent stories, light reads perfect for a summer day and a glass of Pimms.
Louise Wiltshire
Not a brilliant book to read, very poor story compared to her other books
Dawn Martens
Not a fan of MW books, Love her SK books SOO much more
Janine Manchel
eh .... not my favorite of her books!
Elliedakota
The Tennis Party only
Sabine
Mhm. Erm. Not so much.
Katejones
Never been that bored
Kelly O'sullivan
Kelly O'sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Ana Trueba
Ana Trueba marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jo Woolf
Jo Woolf marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Ciki
Ciki added it
Aug 23, 2014
Hollie Walker
Hollie Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • Baggage
  • Looking for Andrew McCarthy
  • Just A Boy: The True Story of A Stolen Childhood
  • Love on a Rotten Day: An Astrological Survival Guide to Romance
  • Roommates
  • Girls Night Out (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Something Might Happen
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • Sleep with Me
  • Losing It
  • Bid for a Bride
  • Before I Say Goodbye: Recollections and Observations from One Woman's Final Year
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her...more
More about Madeleine Wickham...
Cocktails for Three The Wedding Girl The Gatecrasher Sleeping Arrangements A Desirable Residence