Start by marking “Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party” as Want to Read:
Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

Swimming Pool Sunday
On a hot May Sunday, the Delaneys open their pool to all the village for charity. Louise is there with her daughters, ignoring her estranged husband Barnaby as she lies back in the sun and dreams of Cassian, the new man in her life. But suddenly the perfect day is shattered when tragedy strikes. A terrible accident leads to a drama of recriminations and
Published (first published March 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Pool Sunday and The Tennis Party

Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Aug 29, 2012 Amanda - Go Book Yourself rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage, chick-lit
I can see why Madeleine changed her name before starting the shopaholic series. I can imagine she had a reputation as being quite a poor writer after releasing these books.

It's basically a novel about a group of "wealthy" plebs that get together for a tennis match, act like wankers and treat each other like pricks.

Every type of cliche you can think of us present :
The rich snobs
The rich but common as muck
The ex wife
The horsey child

Definitely one to miss.
ais ariani
Mar 31, 2013 ais ariani rated it did not like it
menemukan buku ini saat lagi hunting buku ringan untuk dibaca. hei...dengan jadwal tetap senin-jumat, siapa yang butuh buku-buku serius? someone out there, tapi yang pasti bukan aku. hahahhahaha...

ceritanya membingungkan di awal, karena terlalu banyak tokoh yang tidak dideskripsikan dengan detail, sehingga terkadang di tengah-tengah aku harus balik ke halaman depan buat tahu si ini itu siapa ya?

dan butuh waktui lama banget buat nyelesainnya.dan ini baru nyampek separuh. entah selesai atau enggak
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Dec 13, 2014 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Published: 05/03/2001
Author: Madeleine Wickham
Recommended for: fans of chick lit

This is part of the Madeleine Wickham series which doesn't fail to live upto the expections of the other books written by Sophie Kinsella. Both books are funny, witty, romantic and get you swept up into the moment. The books don't have to be read in order of the series, the characters in the books are different from each other but they all are brilliantly described and set the image of them in your mind. I would reco
Kate
Jan 07, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
The books by 'Sophie kinsella' are all better than the 'Madeleine wickham' ones. I finished reading "the tennis party" last week. It was an easy, perfect for a lazy Christmas break read. Some parts of the book are predictable and, like a few of the Madeleine wickham books, is based around rich folk. Hope it's not a realistic account otherwise I never want to be rich!!!

As long as you don't take the book seriously it is a good read for while on holiday etc.
Emma Walker
Jun 22, 2012 Emma Walker rated it it was ok
Have now read all of the Madeleine Wickham books apart from The Gatecrasher and have found most of them to be really odd. I wondered with the first one whether it was set in teh 20s rather than present day. If you are a big Sophie Kinsella fan definitely do not expect more of the same with these. The best is probably Cocktails for Three.
Neni Puji Artanti
Dec 05, 2013 Neni Puji Artanti rated it it was ok
2 bintang saja untuk madeleine wickham alias sophie kinsella pada the tennis party ini. ceritanya ngalir sih. selesai dalam penerbangan banda aceh jakarta tanpa transit. ceritanya sendiri sooo cheesy, tanpa twist menarik, dan penyelesaian yang buruk. tidak meninggalkan kesan apa apa. saya lebih suka kinsella dengan cerita cerita pop-nya daripada isu isu (yang dipaksain) sosial ini.
Stephanie Deguara
Jul 27, 2014 Stephanie Deguara rated it liked it
Having read the reviews on here for this book I had very low expectations. However I was pleasantly surprised... It is not a literary masterpiece, but it is a brilliant book for a light summer hol read. The characters were hard to follow at the beginning but became richer as the weekend progressed.
Apr 03, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I second the saying of a fellow goodreads member, couldn't say it better: "I can see why Madeleine changed her name before starting the shopaholic series. I can imagine she had a reputation as being quite a poor writer after releasing these books".

I wonder how one and the same person can write books that are so different: one set is dull and boring and another one is witty and engaging.
Keely
Jul 30, 2012 Keely rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit
It took me a while to get in to this book if I am honest, I felt a bit bored until I got to halfway and then things started to make sense and I began to enjoy it.

Not a bad read, but it didn't suck me in like some books I have read recently.
Kelle
Apr 14, 2015 Kelle rated it did not like it
This book was truly a struggle to get through. I like Sophie Kinsella but as Madeline Wickham I struggling! I have a few more MW books but if they don't grab me quickly I shall tar them with the same brush - pointless, boring, waste of time.
Judy Bartkowiak
Mar 26, 2012 Judy Bartkowiak rated it it was amazing
Both excellent stories, light reads perfect for a summer day and a glass of Pimms.
Michelle Sibley
Sep 13, 2012 Michelle Sibley rated it did not like it
Probably the worst Madeleine Wickham book there is. A bunch of stuck up rich idiots all together for a tennis party. Couldnt relate to a single character.
Lele
Mar 01, 2012 Lele rated it it was ok
Tennis party is boring in my opinion. Since it was my birthday gift from my sister's boyfriend, i forced myself to read it and skimmed lots of pages.
Karen Cook
May 31, 2014 Karen Cook rated it it was ok
I found this pretty uninteresting, it wasn't a strong story and the characters were fairly weak.
Definitely no where near as good as the shopoholic series by the same author.
Elizabeth Evans
Dec 27, 2016 Elizabeth Evans rated it really liked it
I read the swimming pool Sunday, and I liked the ending. Although it was very clear what was going to happen.
guess94
Nov 03, 2011 guess94 rated it did not like it
i hate the tennis party.
i simply adored her other books like twenties girl and the wedding girl.
but this book simply put me off from readin her other books.
*no offense*
Elliedakota
Jan 29, 2013 Elliedakota rated it it was ok
The Tennis Party only
Meyrem
Jun 27, 2013 Meyrem rated it did not like it
A very predictable story. Not at all exciting or unexpecting. Wish I never had read really.
Helen
Apr 01, 2013 Helen rated it did not like it
Awful.
Fay H
Fay H rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Sita.k.nairgmail.com
Sita.k.nairgmail.com rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Karina Litt
Karina Litt rated it it was ok
May 04, 2015
Roslyn Back
Roslyn Back rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
vivelareine
vivelareine rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Karin
Karin rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Lidi Lubrano
Lidi Lubrano rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Nari
Nari rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Catherine Spillane
Catherine Spillane rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • Looking for Andrew McCarthy
  • Danger Zones
  • The Woman Who Painted Her Dreams
  • At a Time Like This
  • These Boots Were Made for Strutting: And Stunning and Knocking 'em Dead
  • Yes, Mama
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Girls Night Out
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Is There Anything You Want?
  • Over to Candleford
  • An Accidental Light
  • Woman Walks Into a Bar
  • The Yoga Club
  • Evening News
  • Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House
  • My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Madeleine Wickham...