Start by marking “The Cat Who Brought Down the House” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Brought Down the House

The Cat Who Brought Down the House (The Cat Who... #25)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  3,354 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Retiring in Pickax, actress Thelma Thackeray has decided to start a film club and organize a fundraiser revue, starring Koko the cat. But Thelma's celebrated arrival takes an unpleasant turn when the strange circumstances of her twin brother's recent death seem suspicious to Jim Qwilleran. Qwill needs a helping paw in this case. But will Koko deign to take time from his st ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Brought Down the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Brought Down the House

Benjamin Thomas
This is the 25th book in the "Cat Who" series and yes, I've read them all up to this point. Only 4 more to go. I read these as a sort of comfort food; I've grown so used to the characters and town of Pickax ("400 miles north of everywhere") and they are such quick reads. The entire series has ended up on my book shelves thanks to my mother who has read them all. Consequently, I always think of her when reading one and since she celebrated her 80th birthday this week, I thought it appropriate to ...more
Storm Chase
I used to love Cat Who books. They were never very good mysteries, but I liked the characters. Sadly, they became worse over time and this book is a pointless shambles. The publishers should be ashamed to put this out. If you want to try a Cat Who, pick one of the first ten she wrote.
Jim Qwilleran and his two awesome Siamese kitties go off to solve another mystery. This one revolves around a rich Mouse County native who comes back from California with wealth, a bunch of fancy hats, and a bunch of birds.

Unfortunately, the series has been slowly declining since about The Cat Who Sang for Birds (give or take a book or two). That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy this book, however. The Cat Who books are like candy to me, and I swear my kitties have taken some mannerisms from Kok
Linda Fast
I have read better mysteries and found this a little bit boring. The book centers itself in a town called Pickax which is located in Moose County. After 60 years of living in Hollywood Thelma Thackeray comes back to live in Pickax and open a movie house. Quill as he is affectionately known is a newspaper columnist and befriends Thelma. Quill has 2 cats who have an uncanny knack for identifing people who are good or bad and this leads Quill on the lookout for investigating troublesome intents.
I t
It's been years since I've read (or listened, in this case), to a The Cat Who book. I agree with other commenters that this one wasn't as engaging or as "mystery-like" as I remember the other books being. The mystery was practically solved earlier in the book, which made the end almost feel like a let down (or, rather, anti-climatic). I still enjoyed it, though. One thing about the narrator--every now and then he does a cat yowl, which I thought was a little creepy (it kind of made my hair stand ...more
Koko and Yum-Yum are as charming as usual but the plot of this particular Cat Who ... is dire.

Thelma Thackeray (great name) returns to Moose County after her Hollywood career but what she does thereafter remains somewhat unclear as the story rambles on with seeming irrelevancies. I got completely and utterly lost but carried on for the sake of the cats!

Yawn ...
I want to like The Cat Who mysteries, but there is just something lacking there. I do admit that this is only the second I've tried and both were audio books. I told someone an old opera house and cats are two of my loves, but I can't say I loved this. It was quick and end was interesting, but the pace of the story in general was slow and folksy.
We just listened to this on our Labor Day trip and I have to say this one was not as good as the others in this series that we have read. The mystery was solved very early on and there were no real twists or turns. The ending is very abrupt as well. Oh well. I still recommend reading other books in this series, but this one you can skip.
A slight departure from previous books, but a delightful read in celebration of this long-running series. A Moose County native, Thelma Thackeray, who has been in Hollywood for forty years, is moving to Pickax with her companion, her Amazon parrots and her outrageous hat collection.
The surprise at the end was the murderer who murdered the murderer, which made me give this book a 3 star, instead of the 2 star rating that the rest of the book deserved. I am a huge fan of this series but except for the last few pages, this one was not very engaging.
(playaway audio edition) insipid story about a bachelor living (by choice???) with two cats named Koko and Yum-yums(!!!???!?!?!!?!!WTF). I had to throw this away (figuratively speaking, it was a library copy) out of pure distaste when he started writing poems to save the kittens in the shelter from euthanasia. Anyone that's ever had anything to do with shelters will tell you the problem is NOT a lack of people who care about kittens, it's that there are just TOO MANY KITTENS to begin with. Would ...more
The Cat Who Brought Down The House #25 by Lilian Jackson Braun

It had been a few years since reading a Cat Who mystery and it felt like I'd never left Moose County, 400 miles from everywhere. James Mackontosh Qwilleran, a former crime reporter from Down Below, with his huge mustache, now does the weekly Qwill Pen column for the Moose County newspaper. Qwill and Koko, his very intelligent Siamese cat, solve the mystery surrounding Thelma Thackerey's brothers untimely death. Does the Kit Kat Revue
I have read many of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who...series. They are enjoyable light reading. The whole series revolves around a journalist named Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cat Koko. They live in Moose County, 400 miles north of everywhere. Koko is an intuitive cat that nudges Jim in the right direction when a mystery needs solving. And no Koko is not a talking cat! In this story an elderly lady returns to Moose County after a 60 years in Hollywood. She is flamboyant with her fantastic hat c ...more
A friend of mine who loves mystery novels gave this to me. I guess I am not a fan of the "cosy" mystery genre. There was very little mystery and even less cats in this particular entry in the series. I had hoped for more cat interaction in the case, a la Carole Nelson Douglass' "Midnight Louie" series. Unfortunately, the Siamese cat of the title has little to do but yowl and spit at the culprit. It did not work for me.
Helen Talaniec
I love these books! Very light reading, nothing scandalous, characters who are really characters (in a quirky, particular way), simple mysteries solved neatly and cats! I have a soft spot for animal stories but this is the only series with cats that I find myself returning to when I can't quite find anything of interest.
It took me a while to understand the strangeness of the style of writing but once I got past that it was a good story that I enjoyed. I'm really not sure what the cat had to do with anything, but the main character obviously adores his cats, and if he wants to think that they're special, then more power to him.
Lisa Kucharski
In terms of mystery, it was okay. You pretty much could figure it all out fairly easily, but proving it was a different thing. Again the characters are what you read the stories for and come back to learn how they are doing especially as the series gets toward the end.

Thinking that the author is approaching 80 at this point.
I read this out of curiosity. Cute premise and story - but I get tired of the fashion and architectural descriptions and constant reminders of who is who - although with its cast of characters I guess that is necessary. Will I read more in this series? Probably not. And that's just me.
This one wasn't a standard solve-the-murder mystery. There is a person who is already dead - dead a couple years - whose death leaves lots of questions. But Qwill doesn't actually solve it, at least not in a traditional sense.

The resolution had a bit of noir to it, particularly since one of the characters introduced for this plot came back to Pick Ax after living for several decades in Los Angeles. But since it was a bit noir, it would have been better if she'd embraced that more fully. Though
Lynne Tull
Roxana Griffith
Lillian will be missed by me. I have loved each and every one of her books. She took me to a nice place and kept my attention on the story. Was always able to come back to my book. Even if I didn't want to leave.
Enjoyable fluff but not much to it as usual. Long ago resident returns to Pickax from LA with encouragement of nephew after death of her twin brother. Braun needs an editor to remove some of those exclamation points! They get really annoying!
Sep 07, 2015 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
Koko has shown his dislike of someone throughout this novel, and all signs are pointing to him being bad news. There are doubts raised over a possible murder/suicide by the local vet the year before, and his esteemed sister, Thelma Thackery, is back in town promoting her parrots, herself and her film club. Qwill is being the dependable host, and making sure she is comfortable, but all the while he is getting closer to the mystery. Have to say though, the food described in this one has left me st ...more
After hering that I had just returned from the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, a friend, brought me this book. She had read most of the series. To her, the location seemed like heaven, She loved the little mysteries and the descriptions of the townspeople...and of course the cats.

Cats are not my favorite kind of folks, but I really liked the rest of the characters. I giggled at the townsfolks references to any one from the lower pennisula as being from "down there."

It was a fun read, but I don't th
Michelle Bizzell
I listened to this on audiobook during a road trip. It was simply fun! The mystery takes place mostly at the end, but Quill has too many social appointments to be dull.
A long time ago I read another “Cat Who” (I don’t remember which one) and found it to be amusing. This one is not only not amusing it is just plain boring.
My grandmother introduced me to this series when I would stay over at her house. I guess it was basically this or a plethora of 'historical romances' (aka bodice rippers), so it was more acceptable to give to a young teenager (at the time).

Ever since she passed away, I've sort of picked one up every now and again to read. Not as much for the books themselves or the stories/characters, but for the memories. Just leaves you with a warm feeling that's unrelated to what you read.

That said this was p
"The Cat Who..." series of books are a light read, which I have enjoyed very much. This book was no exception. I have less than a handful of books in the series left to read, which makes me very sad.
I never tire of these delightful stories. Koko and Yum Yum are so much fun and the lives of the cats and Qwill, their human, are never mundane.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Brought Down The House #26 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:13PM
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat in a Leopard Spot (Midnight Louie, #13)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)