Grumpy Gloria

Grumpy Gloria

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Gloria was glum and grumpy Out of sorts.

Sad and lumpy.

A brand-new doll?

It's time to pout!

Gloria felt so left out.

Poor Gloria the bulldog thinks she has lost her best friend when the little girl who owns her receives a doll as a birthday present. Suddenly the girl Gloria does everything with now does everything with her new doll! But Gloria can't exactly tell anyone why she...more
Published September 21st 2006 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Gloria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Gloria

Kiera Turner
Such a cute book! Great book to introduce if discussing feelings in the classroom, but also great for rhyming words as well. I love the pictures and the use of academic language such as sullen and sulky.
Heidi
The rhymes were fun. The pictures were enjoyable and my favorite part of the book--very telling of the emotions, at least with Gloria. The story was OK, though it started to get a little old for me. While this could work for a storytime, I'm not quite attached enough to it (right now) to help convey it to the kids. I might be able to in a lap-read.
Melanie
From the author/illustrator of the popular "Llama Llama" books comes the story of Gloria the Bulldog. Gloria is grumpy because her girl had a birthday party and got a new doll. Toys, bathing, dress-up... Nothing improves Gloria's mood. Then the kids decide to take her for a ride in the basket of a bicycle. Suddenly there's a crash! Gloria finds herself in the baby bassinet with the new doll. And a smile!

Rather simplistic and not nearly as good as the Llama books, but still enjoyable.
Janna
The front cover of this book tells us that it will be about a grumpy dog. It also sets the mood by using hairy looking, big letters and a red background to emphasize that this book is about a dog that’s not so happy. Throughout the book the expressions on the characters’ faces help to show the mood. Something that I found interesting was reading the back flap that gives a little information about the author and also reveals her inspiration for writing this book. There is good use of an illustrat...more
Ruth Ann
Perfect for a storytime about dogs, I love the expressions on bulldog Gloria's face!
Dolly
Aug 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, pets, rhyming
Cute story about trying to cheer a pet up. The narrative is bouncy and rhyming, so it flows nicely. And the illustrations are very funny. We really enjoyed Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama books, so when we found this book at our local library, we just knew we'd have to check it out. It's a fun and silly read, although I did caution our girls not to do to our pets many of the things these children did to their pet.
Deb
This is a lesser known book from the author of the popular "Llama, Llama" series. We received our family copy from the Dolly Parton Imagination Library several years ago, and it quickly became a family favorite.

I personally enjoy reading books that rhyme to young children. I just think they're more fun to read. This story made both my boys laugh and laugh when they were little. I added some of my own animation to go along with the story, which helped (doesn't everyone do that when they read to k...more
Hannah Guerra
This is a fun picture book that is good for students in pre-school, kindergarten, and 1st grade. It follows a bulldog named Gloria and the family she lives with. Gloria is very grumpy and her family tried doing all sorts of things to cheer her up, but none of them seem to work. In the end, we see that all she wanted was to spend time with her family, and she becomes happy again. This book has a theme of animals and pet love.
VegasGal
Am I the only one here who noticed that the actual story doesn't say why Gloria is grumpy? The inside cover of the book points out that the girl in the story has a new doll, but what if you accidentally skipped that part?
The story is cute, (and reminds me of countless jealous dogs) but could have been much better.

Read the author's "Llama" books instead.
Carly
Dec 28, 2011 Carly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 2 and up.
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
Grumpy Gloria is a cute story about an adorable bulldog who feels displaced when her friend gets a brand-new doll. A bath, a game of dress-up and bike ride do little to cheer her up. Gloria just wants her friend back! The rhyming text is perfect for a novice reader. The illustrations- barring the delightful depictions of Gloria's grumpiness-are unremarkable.
Jadai Mcgee
Grumpy Gloria is full if fun with its unique adjectives to describe all the feeling of Gloria when her owner gets brand new doll. This story would be a great example to get your students to add more detail and be specific when describing emotions. This book can also be used to map out the plot of a story.
Amber
I was SO disappointed with this book as I love Dewdney's Llama Llama books. I found this one to be pretty boring, just a book full of different adjectives for "grumpy"...lacked a real plot...and my kids weren't thrilled with it either.
Crystal
My 2 year old loves this more than I do, but I think it's cute. It's a cute story about a dog who feels left out. It is great for helping my little one label and understand her emotions. Plus, it's just fun!
Libby
My 20-mo-old son really likes this book, even though I don't think he fully understands what's going on. I love the great use of adjectives and fun rhyming. The illustrations are very expressive too.
Briana
Definitely NOT as good as the Llama llama series! Anna is a great artist however...therefore deserving of three stars. I liked the loving relationship between Gloria and her owner, as well. <3
Suzanne
A fun read. Gloria reminds me of my boxer, Ty. If I am ever doing anything, besides paying attention to him, for too long he gets jealous as can be. I believe it's only because he loves me!
Hayley
Love this cute story of a seemingly neglected dog whose little girl gets a new toy and loses interest in the family pet. Plus, I love the way Evan says "Gloria" - somehow there is a w in there!
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Gloria is indeed a grumpy dog. She has her nose well out of joint when her owner gets a new doll who gets all the attention. Written in a rolling rhyme, it's fun to read aloud.
Sandy Brehl
Gloria the dog is grumpy but not for lack of attention, care, or love. Zlotia is, in fact, very patient and tolerant, but eventually finds what makes her happy.
Melissa
Another favorite with my toddler that I don't mind reading over and over again. We like to pretend we are gloria and make grumpy faces at each other.
Tina
Henry and I read this the week of 11/19/13. Cute rhyming book. Very similar in rhythm to the llama llama books. Cute illustrations. Loved it.
Wendy Swain
Loved it. It had a good lesson about the challenges of trying to cheer someone up who doesn't necessarily want to be cheered up.
Alicia
Good for funny silly rhyming about a grumpy dog-- even if I'm not sure that all of the words are actually real words.
Edna
Gloria children-owners try everything they can to make their dog happy. The illustrations are sweetly expressive.
Anj
I don't know how many times we have read this in just a 2 week period. My 3 year old girl loves it.
Angie
My niece approved. She says "It's really good. The whole family tries to make her happy when she was lonely."
Beth
Liked the rhyming but the dog in this book is ugly :-) it was a cute story.
Hope4flowers
My 3 year old loves this book. He wants to read it again and again.
Gail
My 2.5 year old daughter and I reread this one a few times.
Marilyn
The dog is jealous of the baby doll. There's room for two.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chamelia
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • When No One Is Watching
  • Waking Dragons
  • No Pirates Allowed! Said Library Lou
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • My No No No Day
  • No Fits, Nilson!
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • The Three Ninja Pigs
  • Superworm
Llama Llama Red Pajama Llama Llama Mad at Mama Llama Llama Misses Mama Llama Llama Holiday Drama Llama Llama Home with Mama