Start by marking “The Modern Scholar: World War l: The Great War and the World It Made” as Want to Read:
The Modern Scholar: World War l: The Great War and the World It Made

The Modern Scholar: World War l: The Great War and the World It Made

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  75 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Publisher's Summary
"The Great War", as it was known at the time, was also said to be the "war to end all wars". It seized all of Europe and much of the rest of the world in its grip of death and destruction.

The first truly modern war, it changed how war and peace would be conducted throughout the remainder of the 20th century and even to the present. The Great War was a ti
Audiobook, 750 pages
Published 2004 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Scholar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern Scholar

Bookwombat
May 12, 2014 Bookwombat rated it it was ok
If you're just starting out learning of WW1, this lecture series may help, but I caution against Ramsden's portrayal of both the scholarship and the historical facts.
A much better and more nuanced (but unfortunately also more expensive) lecture series on the Great War is that offered by The Teaching Company. However, I don't think it would be difficult to find audiobooks on WW1 that are better than Ramsden's lectures.

As regards scholarship, Ramsden claims that there is a consensus that the Germa
Boris Feldman
Mar 06, 2014 Boris Feldman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've listened to several podcasts and lectures lately on WW I. This is the best. An absolutely superb set of lectures. Available on audible
Jan Chlapowski Söderlund
* * - I found it 'ok' overall. 3* for personality, 2* for factualness.

"World War I: The Great War and the World It Made" is a series of lectures read by John Ramsen mainly about World War 1 itself and very little about the world the war made. Many of the technological and societal changes are mentioned, but the narrative in these lectures does not stretch beyond the War itself in my mind.

Regarding the narrative itself. On the positive side, J.R. covers the topic with a personal touch and give
JulesQ
Nov 25, 2011 JulesQ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Even though I only got a 65% on the final exam (I was paying attention to themes, not details, plus I was doing housework and such while listening) I thought this was a fantastic introduction to WWI, which I'd become interested in after reading about Teddy Roosevelt -- not that he had anything to do with it really, just he was the last "major" president to hold office before the world wars changed everything.

This is an audiobook, so when I say that Ramsden is very easy on the ears, that's an imp
Tammy Mannarino
Oct 10, 2012 Tammy Mannarino rated it liked it
I know very little about World War I, yet plenty about World War II. I have to admit, I had this realization while watching Downton Abbey (PBS...television that makes you want to read!). I have tried to read Barbara Tuchman's "Guns of August" a few times and never made it past the first chapter. This was a pretty good overview...maybe with this under my belt, I can give Barbara another chance....
Guy
Jul 22, 2013 Guy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This is an area that wasn't well addressed in my education. I'm sure, like me, most people got a lot more focus on the Second World War instead. While technically informative, I found the information pretty dry and not presented in a way that was particularly easy to absorb, nor did it inspire me to get particularly more in depth on this subject.
Matt
Jan 02, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Professor Ramsden covered the main points (the treaties and politics that led to the war, the main battles, the impetus for America joining the war) but also covered events and culture perhaps more obscure. He spent a lecture or two on the war in the near east and another lecture on art, music, and literature that resulted from the war.
Tph
Tph rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2010
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Pavel
Pavel rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Kevin Schlüter
Kevin Schlüter rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
James Donaldson
James Donaldson rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2013
Peter Meuleners
Peter Meuleners rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
weateallthepies
weateallthepies rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Russell Welch
Russell Welch rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Chris Csergei
Chris Csergei rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
ihatebooks
ihatebooks rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
John In
John In rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Kevin De louise
Kevin De louise rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Rustin
Rustin rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Murat Egrikavuk
Murat Egrikavuk rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Kassin
Kassin rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013