Start by marking “Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)” as Want to Read:
Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)

Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport #7)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  13,910 Ratings  ·  381 Reviews
When psychiatrist Andi Manette and her two children are kidnapped, deputy chief Lucus Davenport begins the search. 2 cassettes.
Published 2009 (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Prey

Kemper
Another day, another psychopath…

Andi Manette and her two daughters are kidnapped right outside the girls’ school by an evil bastard named John Mail. Andi is a psychologist who once treated Mail while he was in jail, and he has obsessed over her for years. Mail confines them in a room he built in the basement of a remote farmhouse, and he starts ruthlessly raping and beating Andi.

This is the kind of case that brings on massive media attention, and Andi is the daughter of a wealthy and politically
James Thane
This is one of the earlier books in John Sandford's acclaimed Prey series featuring Minneapolis police detective Lucas Davenport. In this case, Davenport, who has made a fortune writing computer simulations and games, finds himself up against a sociopathic gamer named John Mail.

Mail, who had once been institutionalized, kidnaps Andi Manette, a psychiatrist who had once treated him. Mail grabs Mantette's two young daughters as well. The Manette family is rich and politically connected and so this
aPriL does feral sometimes
My heart is still thundering. My god, I think I stopped breathing while reading the last 50 pages. Ooooooh.

A nightmare called John Mail is planning a kidnapping. He tortured and killed animals, and set fires as a child. One of his fires burned down a house killing two people. As a result, a post-doc assignment for a new young psychiatrist, Andi Manette, was to examine the 12-year-old locked up in Hennepin County jail. Mail already was almost full grown, despite his youth, and Andi decided he was
Deana M
Aug 22, 2011 Deana M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all of the "Prey" series so far, but "Mind Prey" has been the best and the most explosive in my opinion. Andi Manette and her two daughters Grace and Genevieve are taken in broad day light in front of the girls' school. John Mail is an psychopath and is very unstable. Andi Manette was John Mail's psychiatrist; she is the one who put him in a mental hospital. Because of this, he has a personal vendetta with Andi.

In walks Lucas Davenport, who in my opinion, is one of the best ficti
John
John Sandford doesn't really write bad books...he's too seasoned a storyteller for that. Still, the problem with a book like Mind Prey is it lacks spectacle. As book seven in a series, all the tropes are just a little too familiar and the storyline isn't all that different from what we've seen Lucas go up against in the past. Lucas Davenport, the book's main character, is almost never in danger, and Sandford chooses to use an over-abundance of swearing to make the story seem more exciting than i ...more
Maureen DeLuca
Aug 04, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lucas Davenport story! Number 7 in the series- with more to go. My only 'gripe' is that I feel that Davenport should be the single guy, not the married guy. I really got to get over this, for I 'looked' ahead- and marriage is in the cards for him. Since this book was first published in 1995 , I will spare you the details of this book- other than if you haven't yet picked up the 'Prey' series.... what are you waiting for ?
Eileen
Feb 05, 2017 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced thriller with compelling plot and great characters.
Piker7977
Jul 03, 2016 Piker7977 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Psychiatrist Andi Manette is being watched. So are her daughters. Minneapolis Deputy Chief Lucas Davenport is walking around crime scenes with an engagement ring in his pocket. Gamer, sociopath, sexual deviant, and firebug John Mail kidnaps Manette and her girls. Davenport finds himself up against a smart psychopath who leaves a very cold trail behind with the exception of taunting phone calls and symbolic clues. Trying to stay one step ahead of this freak is difficult enough but the political b ...more
Marleen
Nov 02, 2008 Marleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind Prey is the particularly suspenseful 7th book in the Prey series, featuring Lucas Davenport. Lucas is still active as deputy chief of the Minneapolis Police Force and although he needs to take into account the political ramifications of this particular case, especially since his boss has political ambitions, for Lucas politics don’t really enter into play when lives are at stake. Sure, Lucas tries to play the political game to a certain extent, but that’s not really him. He likes the hunt a ...more
Charlene
Sep 12, 2016 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was on the edge of my seat for most of this book, rooting for the good guys. Now I feel a bit like I've just ridden a roller coaster. I may have to read more of the books in this series...
Kathy Davie
Aug 15, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Seventh in the Lucas Davenport thriller series based in Minneapolis.

My Take
Sandford sets the story so we’ll empathize when the action heats up. A sub plot is that ring Davenport keeps bouncing around, slipping on and off his finger, rumors are rife and the betting hot, lol. Sandford is just plain mean to us with Weather vacillating over how much Lucas loves his job and if she can handle it. Lucas’ own concerns — exacerbated by his ladykiller past — keeps us on our toes as well. Will he or won’t
Jeff Dickison
Dec 29, 2016 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Lucas Davenport story, I would like to be able to give this 4.5 stars. A psychotic sociopath kidnaps a mother and two daughters and Lucas must solve the case before they are killed. Excellent, extremely exciting, lots of action. A winner.
Nancy
Dec 26, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book turned me off the Prey novels for five years due to the rapes. Sandford is known for the brutality that are in some of his books, and occasionally rapes have been part of that, but this book pushed me over the edge. It was too brutal for me, for as a woman and mother, it scared me that something like that could happen to my family. While the book was as well written as usual, my self imposed break let me get into the Stephen White novels, before I eventually came back to this series.
Patti Christell
Jul 05, 2011 Patti Christell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook-read
I read at least one John Sandford mystery each summer during vacation. This year I read Mind Prey. As always, Lucas Davenport is chasing the criminals of the Minneapolis communities while simultaneously addressing the personal conundrums in his own life. The dual-careered Davenport lives his adventure and creates the computer adventure games truly appreciated by gamers; his brain, perfectly designed to deal with these adventures, is at the same time logical and creative.

In Mind Prey, Lucas must
Brent Soderstrum
Mar 08, 2015 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 7th Lucas Davenport novel by John Sandford.

In this installment Davenport is investigating a psychiatric patient and former prisoner who has kidnapped Andi Manette and her two daughters. Manette was John Mail's psychiatrist.

Mail uses various means to try and trick Davenport into situations where he can be killed. Lots of mind games are played. Mail is somehow getting information about the investigation from the inside. A cop? A family member? Sandford uses this as a mystery when the r
Monnie
Apr 06, 2012 Monnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said before that the books in John Sanford's "Prey" series get better as they go along, and Mind Prey continues that trend. It's perhaps the most thrilling one so far, and I can honestly say I hated to have to put it down when things like cooking, laundry and work reared their ugly heads. The threat of horrible killings was present always, and more "suspense" came in the form of not knowing whether lead character and erstwhile womanizer Lucas Davenport finally would pop the question to his ...more
wally
Dec 06, 2016 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandford
finished this one yesterday. outstanding story. five-stars. davenport's opponent in this one makes it so, couldn't put it down until i reached the end.
William
Feb 18, 2011 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lucas-davenport
When you read the back of these novels and it talks about how the protagonist is going up against his worst enemy yet, it rarely applies as well as it did with this novel. The sociopath in this novel, while not the most intelligent nor physically intimidating nutcase in literature, is twisted enough to earn the above title of "worst enemy yet." He regularly calls Lucas Davenport, our hero, and taunts him. He is as smart as Davenport, but the cat and mouse game between the two is intense, and unp ...more
Dale
Jul 20, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For long-running serial genre novels, the Prey books are really rather good; this one is no exception. Sure, the patterns are getting pretty established and there are few twists - but Sandford's real talent is his characters. Not just Lucas, but the supporting cast too. Sloan, for example. How can you not like a guy who's wife doesn't even seem to know his first name?

This one had some interesting ethical discussions too as far as mandatory reporting for sex offenders. Sandford wasn't heavy hande
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JULY 6, 2015
Narrator: Richard Ferrone

As usual, it was a slow, plodding listen but the last 25% made it all worth it. Well, almost. Sandford could speed things up (IMO) a bit in the first half of his books since I seem to have the same complaint each time.

Loved what the mother and daughter did to their captor! This installation was a refreshing change from those the usual battling-crooked-cops-and-bureaucracy storylines:)
Jenny
Sep 26, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is part of the Lucas Davenport series, a police thriller set in Minnesota. This book centers on the kidnapping on a mother and her 2 daughters with psychiatric implications. The story is fast paced and keeps one intrigued on how the family will be rescued. (I have not read this series in order, so when I read this book it added another perspective on the characters' earlier years.)
Eve Nolon
It dragged just a wee too bit for me but a damned good story that brought out more about Lucas's gaming work, which I enjoyed. The "when will he propose" storyline was just this side of cute instead of annoying and the ending made me smile. The villain was a hot mess and just up my alley when it comes to villains.
Dawn
Jun 04, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Loved this book. The story was smart, funny at times, and intense. Our villain was pure evil and smart, but not smart enough for Lucas. By far the best ending and so far my favorite out of the Prey series. Looks like our Lucas is in love and I'm excited to see where that goes. I do need to get out of my "prey box" and read something else though. Let's see....
Yolanda
Nov 15, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is involved with an important case that includes a mom and her two daughters. They are kidnapped by a former mental patient that is both big and intelligent. This one was quite captivating and similar to the previous books at about one hundred pages left you want to make time to finish at one sitting.
Elisa
Nov 17, 2014 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was much better. Excellent suspense. The characters had a little more life than normal, and Davenport was slightly less of an ass. One characterization that was hard to shake was the bad guy with claustrophobia. He sure seemed willing to throw himself into enclosed spaces.
Mickey
Jul 29, 2014 Mickey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A police procedural told from both sides, detective and kidnapper. A gripping plot, with moments of humor or sweetness to break up the tension. (view spoiler)
quinnster
Mar 09, 2008 quinnster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads
This was probably one of the darker Lucas Davenport books. I had a hard time getting through the first half of the book, but the ending made up for it.
Wayne Zurl
Mar 20, 2017 Wayne Zurl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MIND PREY by John Sandford…..

Lucas Davenport doesn’t pursue just any old killer. Lucas specializes in chasing the worst of the worst, the evilest of the evil, A psycho’s psychotic, a miscreant’s miscreant—you get the idea. In MIND PREY Lucas meets John Mail, a relatively young head case, but one with years of horrid conduct behind him—and perhaps worthy of arch nemesis status.

Mail kidnaps psychiatrist Andi Manette, his former therapist while enjoying inmate accommodations in one of Minnesota’s
Alboiu
Dec 11, 2016 Alboiu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Thomas Wasser
Dec 23, 2016 Dr. Thomas Wasser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Its number 7 and I'm reading them all in order. This might be my favorite of them all, well written, the book keeps moving with not a lot of the more personal stuff going on behind the scenes. The book is story-centric which is what I like. Same cast of characters as the previous books so it starts quickly and maintains the pace through the book. Can't wait for Sudden Prey #8.
Did anyone find this one especially disturbing? 19 69 Oct 01, 2014 09:51AM
  • Dead Prey
  • Voodoo River (Elvis Cole, #5)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • The Witness (Badge of Honor, #4)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • The Murder Book (Alex Delaware, #16)
  • Hush Money (Spenser, #26)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Burning Angel (Dave Robicheaux, #8)
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in th ...more
More about John Sandford...

Lucas Davenport (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
  • Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)

“First goddamn chicken we’ve had to count, and I’m counting the sonofabitch,” 0 likes
“Having some guy shine his flashlight up my asshole isn’t gonna improve my addition,” he said.” 0 likes