Goddess: Book Three of The Percheron Saga

Goddess: Book Three of The Percheron Saga (Percheron #3)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  40 reviews
While enemy ships threaten Percheron's harbor, heroic Lazar lies afflicted with the drezden illness and cannot rise. And Zaradine Ana has been taken prisoner by the mysterious Arafanz and his warriors, and is believed to be with child—carrying the heir to the throne, the unborn son of Zar Boaz.

Torn by an inner conflict raging between heart and head, Zar Boaz can think only...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published June 1st 2007)

Beth
I was really disappointed by this book. Throughout the whole series, I kept thinking that it had promise and could develop into something good. But it didn't. The ending was especially bad. I won't post any spoilers, but after finishing the book I was disappointed and angry that I'd spent so much time reading something that had such an unsatisfying ending. It's not just that I didn't like it--it was bad storytelling.

The characters were flat and I never really warmed up to them, but I kept think...more
Kate
This was an enormously disappointing finale to the series, indeed there were a couple of times when I nearly decided not to finish the book. The amazing story promised by book one just never materialised and the book finished with the deaths of pretty much everyone that you had been made to care about in the first two, and so utterly pointlessly and meaninglessly too.

A real cop out.
Janet
Lowed
spoiler alert

PEZ DIED! PPPeeeezzzzz Diieed!! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!.......
Oh well, he did his job. And I'm just too sad to make a review now. :(
Corline
woww, now I wish I had never started with this series. The first book was oke, but the last was truly terrible. The end is the worst Deus ex Machina ever invented and doesn´t make sense at all. It seems as if the writer did not really know how to end it all, so she just opted for the implausible and ill prepared. None of the endings make sense. Please do not start with this series. When I started I thought I could forgive Fiona for her average writing style, but if also the plot is severely lack...more
Lauren Auty
This is one of only three books I've never reached the end of. Slow, clunky and just didn't flow. The ideas were there but they weren't developed and this book felt like it was dragging with events not connecting and just feeling disjointed. I have enjoyed other works by this author but this book felt to me like a bad day at the office.
Jess
I loathed the ending.
Jenna
Maaike
I’m sad to say this series didn’t work out for me. The two main problems were the story and the characters it contained. The biggest problem with the story was the predictability of it. It was too easy. The first book was promising, the second book a big disappointment but this third book seem to look up, starting with a nice predicament. Unfortunately it became easy again. There was never a moment I got excited or curious because it was pretty obvious what would happen next. And then there were...more
The Literary Bystander (nxlee)
Video of me ranting about this book? It can be found HERE. Full, written review is further down below.

And then we are brought to the end of a series. This is, ladies and gentlemen - Goddess, the last installment in the Percheron trilogy by Fiona McIntosh.

In Goddess, this is really supposed to be the book where shit REALLY does go down. The impending war against Percheron from the enemy Galinsean is drawing closer, the Zaradine (wife) Ana has been kidnapped by religious extremist Afrazana and alm...more
Ithlilian
2.5 stars. Goddess is so lackluster compared to the other books in this series that I almost wish I hadn't read it. People travel a lot, there is a few pages of war, an encounter with some enemies, then a bit more walking. The court politics, world building, and dynamic characters that interested me from book one are no longer present. Goddess is mostly travel, and the characters have nothing new to reveal that I haven't already seen. I have to say that learning that the gods are running some th...more
Christine Shilling
Like many people who have reviewed already, I enjoyed the series and this book was another good read for a lazy day by the pool. However, I must admit that the ending left me, and still leaves me when I think about it, feeling ambivalent. I won't leave any spoilers, but, while I didn't see the ending coming I also didn't get that feeling of satisfaction you get at the end of a good book. It was interesting but there were no threads through the book that make the revelation make sense.

I very much...more
Donna
I just finished reading the conclusion to the Percheron Saga by Fiona McIntosh. Ms McIntosh is a wonderful storyteller. Her graphic prose as she relates a tale of an epic battle between good and evil is extremely well done. Her detailed description of her characters is such that I feel I could pick them out of a line up. They are as harsh and beautiful as the landscape she sets her tale in. As with any battle this tale is not for the weak at heart. I look forward to many new endeavors by Ms McIn...more
Jenna
Nov 24, 2008 Jenna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those interested in an easy read
Shelves: fantasy
I really quite enjoyed the first two books, and this one left something wanting. If I could have given a 2.5 I would have; this one was definitely rather average. The end felt rushed, like the author was sick of the story and anxious to finish it. It was fairly predictable. Character development was lacking, save for the Valide, who wound up being my favorite character of all.

Not her best, for sure. The end was very anti-climactic.
Kindle-aholic
This one is bloody and lots of people die. There is heartbreak and triumph, and the machinations that have been building since page one of Odalisque come to fruition. I knew that it would be brutal, but that I would still be drawn to read every word to the end, and I was.

I can't do an even passable review right now, but I can say that it was a good conclusion to the saga, and satisfying in its own way.
Geary
Fiona continues the love affair between Lazar and Ana, but throws in a couple of twists, with an unexpected right turn at the end. This trilogy is MUCH better than her first one, but she continues her fondness for having people change bodies throughout the story.
Annette
I did skim through a bit of this book. Not all of it, but here and there. It seemed to drag a bit. The ending was ok. I wasn't expecting it. I'm glad I read this series, but I feel horrible over the loss of good people in it. It was so sad and not necessary.
Emma Hansen
The final book in the Percheron series. Like in all McIntosh books don't read it if you want a happy ending, that's not how she writes. Knowing this after having read her Quickening series I was prepared. I did enjoy this book, and the series in general.
Kim M-M
It picked up well from the previous book- 'Emissary'. Packed with twists and turns I wouldn't have thought about. I'm always anxious to find out when the other characters will know the truth about Maliz-ah! The ending was a bit abrupt for me.
Shar
I can't even rate this book, I flicked to the last couple of pages and now the urge to finish this series has passed, because I already know how it ends. Which annoys me to great ends, but it was a moment of weakness, and I failed miserably!
James Ford
I enjoyed the story although at times it was a little too romance novely (my new word), with the passions and emotions of the characters driving the story more then any plan. I did enjoy the world of the books.
type95
Quite a good finish to the series. A little disappointed I admit because I thought everything would be jolly and la-dee-dar but of course it would not :'(

But except what [I] wanted...it was a good ending.
Karina
The third in the series, it is not as compelling as the first two novels. It seems to take a long time for anything interesting to happen, after the exciting ending of the second novel.
Nathan
Disappointing conclusion to the series. Much of the book felt like treading water and the ending was very perfunctory. Sure, the loose ends were tied up, but it felt very "by the numbers".
E'lyne
Loved this book! Fiona Mcintosh continues to amaze me! She always finishes a book in the perfect ways, this books ending was a shock and i loved it! Im ready to read more of her books!
Ralitsa Ivanova
fantastic ending of this series! I love surprises and action and this book more than enough to sate my interest. Very well writen as well which makes you read it in one go.
Tracy Kelly
Interesting plot twist at the end. This was a book that one could read without reading the prior two and have the high points filled in throughout the book.
Emma Gluskie
I loved the series but was disappointed with the final "twist" which wrapped a hugely complex plot up in a couple of pages. It deserved more.
January
Good series! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel kinda silly for not seeing the ending, but I'm glad I didn't - it was a good way to end the series.
Emily
A very bitter sweet ending to an emotionally charged story. I personally didn't like how it ended, but the author did tie up the lose ends nicely.
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi...more
More about Fiona McIntosh...
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3) Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2) Odalisque (Percheron, #1) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)