Start by marking “Goddess: Book Three of The Percheron Saga” as Want to Read:
Goddess: Book Three of The Percheron Saga

Goddess: Book Three of The Percheron Saga (Percheron #3)

While enemy ships threaten Percheron's harbor, heroic Lazar lies afflicted with the drezden illness and cannot rise. And Zaradine Ana has been taken prisoner by the mysterious Arafanz and his warriors, and is believed to be with child—carrying the heir to the throne, the unborn son of Zar Boaz.

Torn by an inner conflict raging between heart and head, Zar Boaz can think only
Published June 30th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess

Beth
Apr 30, 2009 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed by this book. Throughout the whole series, I kept thinking that it had promise and could develop into something good. But it didn't. The ending was especially bad. I won't post any spoilers, but after finishing the book I was disappointed and angry that I'd spent so much time reading something that had such an unsatisfying ending. It's not just that I didn't like it--it was bad storytelling.

The characters were flat and I never really warmed up to them, but I kept think
Kate
Jun 20, 2010 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010
This was an enormously disappointing finale to the series, indeed there were a couple of times when I nearly decided not to finish the book. The amazing story promised by book one just never materialised and the book finished with the deaths of pretty much everyone that you had been made to care about in the first two, and so utterly pointlessly and meaninglessly too.

A real cop out.
Janet
Sep 24, 2008 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lowed
Mar 31, 2013 Lowed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2011
spoiler alert

PEZ DIED! PPPeeeezzzzz Diieed!! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!.......
Oh well, he did his job. And I'm just too sad to make a review now. :(
Corline
Jul 12, 2013 Corline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
woww, now I wish I had never started with this series. The first book was oke, but the last was truly terrible. The end is the worst Deus ex Machina ever invented and doesnt make sense at all. It seems as if the writer did not really know how to end it all, so she just opted for the implausible and ill prepared. None of the endings make sense. Please do not start with this series. When I started I thought I could forgive Fiona for her average writing style, but if also the plot is severely lacki ...more
Paul
Apr 15, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and the series, on the whole. The writing is good, there is pace and interest, it was a page turner, there were twists and surprises, and on the whole the plot worked. There were times when I had to ignore the context - the idea that no one in Percheron could speak the language of a local aggressor nation was never plausible; if a person had to speak certain words for the demon to enter a new vessel, then the demon should have died when the Spur killed the Zar, as there was n ...more
Jen
Jan 27, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all three Percheron books I enjoyed this last book the most. I enjoyed that there was more action, more story development, and more explanations. Much less of the pining, although I was getting a little tired of the love pentagon going on with everyone wanting everyone else. Hezerah I actually enjoyed through the end not because she was a nice person but because she was the only character that developed over the book and grew into something more.

The writing, as with the other two, was ea
Lauren Auty
Jul 21, 2012 Lauren Auty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of only three books I've never reached the end of. Slow, clunky and just didn't flow. The ideas were there but they weren't developed and this book felt like it was dragging with events not connecting and just feeling disjointed. I have enjoyed other works by this author but this book felt to me like a bad day at the office.
Soho_black
Feb 10, 2015 Soho_black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Having been captivated by the first two parts of the Percheron trilogy, "Odalisque" and "Emissary", I was eagerly awaiting the third and final part, "Goddess". Fiona McIntosh has created a world full of intriguing characters and having written the first two parts like a chess game, the end game was irresistible.

We pick up the story approximately three months after the events of "Emissary". Zaradine Ana, the wife of the Zar of Percheron, has been captured in the desert whilst travelling to the ne
Zoophyte
Dec 11, 2014 Zoophyte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the previous book the Zar had to kill his beloved Ana for transgressing the rules of the harem, by running away and getting caught kissing a eunuch.

In this book he shrugs when told his mother, also in the harem, has confessed to having a full sexual affair. For a story to be believable it has to be internally consistent, and this certainly is not. Once again the author is dragging the plot by its heels to get it to go where she wants, no matter how nonsensical.

No one can accuse her of having
Jess
Jun 30, 2012 Jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loathed the ending.
Jenna Hughes
Maaike
Jul 30, 2011 Maaike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reading
I’m sad to say this series didn’t work out for me. The two main problems were the story and the characters it contained. The biggest problem with the story was the predictability of it. It was too easy. The first book was promising, the second book a big disappointment but this third book seem to look up, starting with a nice predicament. Unfortunately it became easy again. There was never a moment I got excited or curious because it was pretty obvious what would happen next. And then there were ...more
The Literary Bystander
And then we are brought to the end of a series. This is, ladies and gentlemen - Goddess, the last installment in the Percheron trilogy by Fiona McIntosh.

In Goddess, this is really supposed to be the book where shit REALLY does go down. The impending war against Percheron from the enemy Galinsean is drawing closer, the Zaradine (wife) Ana has been kidnapped by religious extremist Afrazana and almost everyone, especially Maliz is drawing closer to finding out who is the next incarnate of Lyana, wh
Ithlilian
Jul 09, 2011 Ithlilian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
2.5 stars. Goddess is so lackluster compared to the other books in this series that I almost wish I hadn't read it. People travel a lot, there is a few pages of war, an encounter with some enemies, then a bit more walking. The court politics, world building, and dynamic characters that interested me from book one are no longer present. Goddess is mostly travel, and the characters have nothing new to reveal that I haven't already seen. I have to say that learning that the gods are running some th ...more
Barbara ★
For the most part, I enjoyed this series regardless of the fact that the plot revolves around a harem and everything that entails as well as God's interfering in human lives. The Gods in this case where Lyana (good) and Maliz (evil). Though Lyana's actions were as treacherous as Maliz's. It's a wonder that anyone actually worships any God given how the Gods treat humans as cattle or chess pieces.

Thankfully I really liked the two main characters - Ana and Lazar. Otherwise the whole thing would ha
Diana Innes
This book dragged. You knew where it was going but you never seemed to get anywhere. Then it all wrapped up in a twist ending in the last 9 pages. In a book over 600 pages, this was a let down.
Christine Shilling
Like many people who have reviewed already, I enjoyed the series and this book was another good read for a lazy day by the pool. However, I must admit that the ending left me, and still leaves me when I think about it, feeling ambivalent. I won't leave any spoilers, but, while I didn't see the ending coming I also didn't get that feeling of satisfaction you get at the end of a good book. It was interesting but there were no threads through the book that make the revelation make sense.

I very much
Michael Schulz
Good but not great. A little rushed at the end.
Isabella
Jan 24, 2015 Isabella rated it liked it
It was an okay book.
Donna
I just finished reading the conclusion to the Percheron Saga by Fiona McIntosh. Ms McIntosh is a wonderful storyteller. Her graphic prose as she relates a tale of an epic battle between good and evil is extremely well done. Her detailed description of her characters is such that I feel I could pick them out of a line up. They are as harsh and beautiful as the landscape she sets her tale in. As with any battle this tale is not for the weak at heart. I look forward to many new endeavors by Ms McIn ...more
Alice
Aug 22, 2016 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
A lacklustre end to a disappointing series. Throughout the series I kept thinking it had potential, but it was just never quite pulled off. Characters were bland and plot both predictable and kind of stagnant. The ending in particular was badly handled. This was especially disappointing since at the start of this book it seemed like things were finally starting to get interesting - nope! Writing was ok but as usual could have been better. Not McIntosh's best work.
Jenna
Nov 24, 2008 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in an easy read
Shelves: fantasy
I really quite enjoyed the first two books, and this one left something wanting. If I could have given a 2.5 I would have; this one was definitely rather average. The end felt rushed, like the author was sick of the story and anxious to finish it. It was fairly predictable. Character development was lacking, save for the Valide, who wound up being my favorite character of all.

Not her best, for sure. The end was very anti-climactic.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 19, 2011 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one is bloody and lots of people die. There is heartbreak and triumph, and the machinations that have been building since page one of Odalisque come to fruition. I knew that it would be brutal, but that I would still be drawn to read every word to the end, and I was.

I can't do an even passable review right now, but I can say that it was a good conclusion to the saga, and satisfying in its own way.
Geary
Sep 29, 2008 Geary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiona continues the love affair between Lazar and Ana, but throws in a couple of twists, with an unexpected right turn at the end. This trilogy is MUCH better than her first one, but she continues her fondness for having people change bodies throughout the story.
Too much was left until the end
Annette
Mar 04, 2010 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I did skim through a bit of this book. Not all of it, but here and there. It seemed to drag a bit. The ending was ok. I wasn't expecting it. I'm glad I read this series, but I feel horrible over the loss of good people in it. It was so sad and not necessary.
Emma Hansen
The final book in the Percheron series. Like in all McIntosh books don't read it if you want a happy ending, that's not how she writes. Knowing this after having read her Quickening series I was prepared. I did enjoy this book, and the series in general.
Kim M-M
Nov 10, 2008 Kim M-M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
It picked up well from the previous book- 'Emissary'. Packed with twists and turns I wouldn't have thought about. I'm always anxious to find out when the other characters will know the truth about Maliz-ah! The ending was a bit abrupt for me.
Shar
I can't even rate this book, I flicked to the last couple of pages and now the urge to finish this series has passed, because I already know how it ends. Which annoys me to great ends, but it was a moment of weakness, and I failed miserably!
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Infinity Gate (Darkglass Mountain, #3)
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
  • The Fate of the Fallen (The Song of the Tears, #1)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh...

Percheron (3 books)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • Emissary (Percheron, #2)