Start by marking “Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West” as Want to Read:
Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West

Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Follow Tom Moran on an unbelievable real-life adventure! In the summer of 1871, a young painter named Thomas Moran joined a team of scientists heading for the untamed land called ?the Yellowstone.? He couldn?t believe what he found there?steaming cauldrons of sulfur, belching geysers, even a thousand-foot-deep canyon. Tom had never ridden a horse or slept under the stars b ...more
Published September 3rd 2009 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Yellowstone Moran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellowstone Moran

Noora Alsuwaidi
Dec 18, 2015 Noora Alsuwaidi rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect in its plot, idea, and illustration. Lita judge's way in telling part of the American history to children deserves to be repeated. Her talent in drawing is mixed with her talent in writing, which made the book really unique in its idea and presentation.
I didn't know any thing about Thomas Moran or about the natural preservation (The yellow stone), but this short story written for children taught me a lot.
It's a great pick for and child.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: west, nature
Tom Moran wanted to visit the West. He was a painter who longed for adventure. Unfortunately, he had never ridden a horse nor camped out. So when he decided to travel with a group bound for Yellowstone, he experienced many trials. It was all worth it to him when he finally arrived and was able to paint the wonders of the West for those back East who would never get to visit Yellowstone themselves.

The book is illustrated with pictures that imitate Moran’s style. The author includes both a bibliog
Mary Ann
Yellowstone has always held a special place in my heart, with its beautiful meadows, soaring mountains and awe-inspiring geysers. Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West shows what it was like for early explorers to venture into this wilderness in the 1800s, and how Thomas Moran's paintings helped capture its beauty and persuade Congress to protect it.

Thomas Moran "had never ridden a horse, never shot a gun, and never slept in the open air," but he was determined to join Dr. Hayden's expe
Lisa
Jun 02, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, ala, arc, picture-books
Thomas Moran was an artist wanted to see the West. He joined the 1871 expedition to Yellowstone led by Dr. Hayden. Upon their return, Dr. Hayden presented Moran's sketches and paintings along with the scientific findings of the expedition to Congress and President Grant, and in 1872 Grant signed the bill establishing the first U.S. National Park in Yellowstone.

This lovely picture book is illustrated in a style similar to that of Moran's paintings, and it's beautiful. The text is also very good -
Barbara
Jul 06, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
With breathtaking artwork that almost rivals the beauty of the national park itself, this picture book biography tells the story of Thomas Moran who longed for an adventure of his own. Despite having few outdoor skills, he possessed plenty of determination and artistic talent, and slowly earned the respect of the explorers with whom he made his way west. Judge creates watercolor paintings that mimic his artistic style and draws from his journals and others along the journey to add detail to the ...more
Shaeley Santiago
Jul 17, 2013 Shaeley Santiago rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shaeley by: Colorin Colorado
Shelves: children-s, nature, art
Which artist and adventurer painted twelve different locations that then became national parks? Thomas Moran. This book is about his first outdoor adventure to Yellowstone where, after learning to ride horses and live in the wild, he drew sketches and made notes that became the famous 14 x 7 foot painting, The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Other places he visited and painted that later became national parks include Zion, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon. There is an interesting Author's Note at
Diana
Apr 06, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-ficton
I love Yellowstone. And my last name happens to be Moran; which is what caught my attention. Of all the times I've visited I'm kind of surprised I've never heard this story before.
Katra
Nov 13, 2015 Katra rated it it was amazing
Loved this library book and just have to buy it for myself. The illustrations are lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a bit more about my favorite artist.
Jill
Dec 16, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of Moran and how he came to Yellowstone and painted his scenes that became famous!
Lauren White
Oct 24, 2014 Lauren White rated it really liked it
Good for grades 3-6
Diana Hanke
Feb 04, 2010 Diana Hanke rated it really liked it
This book relates the story of Thomas Moran, the first man to paint Yellowstone National Park. A "city slicker" who had never ridden a horse, Moran set out on an adventure to capture the images which were previously only described by word of mouth. He joined Dr. Hayden's science expedition, and it was here that he captured the breathtaking falls of Yellowstone Canyon, Old Faithful, and Mammoth Hot Springs. If you love Yellowstone, you will love this book. It is appropriate for grades 2 - 6.
Terry
Sep 19, 2010 Terry marked it as wish-list
Shelves: pb-informational
I like how Tasha Saecker described this at Kids Lit: "A delightful mixture of adventure and art, this book will intrigue children interested in both subjects. Judge uses humor, drama and a great sense of pacing to tell a story that will keep young reader riveted ... The illustrations help create the sense of journey, danger and amazement." Read her full review here.
Beth
Apr 11, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
We read this online for free at http://www.wegivebooks.org/books#all

Reviewed by 8 and 9 year old Boys:
It was very inspiring. It really made us want to visit Yellowstone. It also made us want to be photographers. He keeps working and working to follow his dreams. He didn't care if people were making fun of him and his dream. The other explorers noticed his hard work and began to really like him.
Jim
Oct 24, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, american-history
really wish there had been web links to moran's art and journals and pictures from the photog in moran's trip. i could check wikipedia but would prefer to know the author's favorites.
Christina Potter Bieloh
Oct 23, 2013 Christina Potter Bieloh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: davey-books
Great nonfiction picture book. We enjoyed learning about the work of Thomas Moran and how important it was in helping Yellowstone becoming designated as the national park.
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: wegivebooks.org
Shelves: children-s
I really liked this one on Tom Moran and how his paintings of Yellowstone came to be. A definite must read for kids.
Srinidhi.R Srinidhi.R
Oh me! Oh my! The joy of painting scenery pictures..Heavenly!! loved the book..
Cathel De
Cathel De rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Daisha Evanns
Daisha Evanns marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Feb 21, 2016
Gates Fam.
Gates Fam. rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Sydney
Sydney added it
Nov 30, 2015
Quiltamy
Quiltamy marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Stacy Mallory
Stacy Mallory marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015