Start by marking “Evenings at the Argentine Club” as Want to Read:
Evenings at the Argentine Club

Evenings at the Argentine Club

Victor and Jaqueline Torres imagined moving to the U.S. would bring happiness and prosperity-instead they found a world of frustration. While Victor put long hours into his restaurant business, Jaqui devoted her life to her daughters, until they grew up and moved on. Even their eldest, Victoria, is torn trying to reconcile being the perfect Argentine daughter and an indepe ...more
Published September 25th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Evenings at the Argentine Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evenings at the Argentine Club

Cinderella Lopez by Berta PlatasLucky Chica by Berta PlatasBecoming Americana by Lara RiosGraffiti Girl by Kelly ParraInvisible Touch by Kelly Parra
Go Chica Lit!
17th out of 17 books — 10 voters
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García MárquezThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Latino/Latina Fiction
343rd out of 539 books — 833 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 05, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Victoria Torres is born in an Argentine-American family who values family culture and traditions. While she appreciates the lessons that were instilled in her,she still wants to start her own life without her father lurking in the shadow. As a stubborn man,he thinks keeping your family close is the ideal way to go. On the other hand,Victoria wants to spread her wings and live independently. Carmen her sister lived up to her father expectations by studying to become a doctor.

Victoria is not too k
Shelia Rudesill
Jun 03, 2014 Shelia Rudesill rated it it was amazing
All immigrants to America have dreams but when Victor and Jaqueline Torres move to America from Argentina, Victor has wild ideas of making millions and returning home a big shot. But, like most first generation American families they soon find that dreams aren’t handed to you. Every member of the Torres and Orteli families have their own dreams and expectations of living and working in America. Their story is one of miscommunication and dysfunction between husband and wife, parents and children, ...more
L.M. Gonzalez
Jun 17, 2013 L.M. Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Evenings at the Argentine Club by Julia Amante was a great read. Victoria Torres' parents immigrated from Argentina when they were newly married. Because they had the dream of going back to Argentina some day, they were thrilled to meet like-minded people who gathered every Sunday to eat, drink and talk about everything Argentina. Victoria enjoys these times,however, she has grown up in southern California and she doesn't hold the same dreams as her parents. When an estranged son, Eric Orteli, o ...more
Apr 23, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This book gives you a unique perspective into the lives of a family and the expectations they have for each other. They all find it hard to meet these expectations and hard to tell their family members, that they have something else they want to do with their lives. It's funny how family can some times affect how you see yourself and how you make your decisions for the future. This book also takes you into the close-knit Argentine-American Community in Burbank, California. The older members of T ...more
Sandra Lopez
Aug 11, 2012 Sandra Lopez rated it really liked it
Review: The whole story centers around the Argentine Club--a business owned by a working family that migrated to America for a better life. Victor, the father, who wants to leave something "great" before leaving this life; Victoria, the daughter, who never wanted to run her father's business; and Jaqueline, the mother, who fears she may no longer love her husband. Eventually, another family enters the story: Antonia, Lucia, and their son, Eric.

Written from a multi-character perspective, this boo
Pam Rivera
Mar 29, 2010 Pam Rivera rated it really liked it
When I think of Argentina, I think of passion, spice, heat. This book certainly delivered all of those. It was an interesting and engaging story examining the immigrant experience for the immigrants and their children. Regardless of how each of the characters felt about their ties to their homeland and the Argentine Club, in some way, each of the characters were defined by the Club, whether it be Eric who rejected the club, Victoria who felt responsible to the club, or their parents who found th ...more
Oct 14, 2009 Gaby rated it it was amazing
"To every Argentine immigrant, July 9 is a day that brings back memories of family celebrations centered around food, wine, and heart-pounding renditions of national theme playing on every radio and TV across the nation. July 9 is Independence Day. A day of freedom and new beginnings. But to those Argentines living in America, it's also a day to admit with a fair amount of guilt that they chose to give up their old life for the intangible, unexplainable dream of. . . something better."

- Evenings
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Dec 18, 2012 Livin' la Vida Latina rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Sandra Lopez
Member of Livin' la vida Latina

Aug 19, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
This was chick lit with Latina influence. It was a fast read but I loved the themes of dreams and Independence. There was also 7 reading guide questions in English and Spanish. The was also honoring parents traditions/culture and being more modern.

Another theme was honest communication like when Victoria/Eric and what happens in their friendship or Carmen and wanting to change her major to something she loves or Jaqueline/Victor and this miscommunication over money or lack of relationship.

Jul 31, 2015 Lesley rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, california
As it usually is with bland ass novels, I took a long time finishing this one. So bland. The writing was mediocre, the plot predictable (what there was of it), and all the male protags we were supposed to somehow empathize with had that ridiculous male temper trying to pass as swarthy machismo so present in romantic novels.
Sierra Bailey
Dec 05, 2015 Sierra Bailey rated it liked it
Do you match up the characters in books with faces of people you know or see (such as bloggers or celebs)? Well I do that all the time and through out reading this book, I pictured Ugly Betty. Even though you may not get the same visual pairing, if you watched the show, you’ll love the book. That’s all I have to say about that.
Apr 19, 2010 David rated it really liked it
I had an uneasy feeling when I first picked this book off the shelf at the store that I had a literate romance novel in my hands. Thankfully, something I couldn't quite put my finger on intrigued me about it anyway and I brought it home. Not that literate romances are bad, they just aren't what I really like to read. I am a guy after all. Still, this is quite simply a good novel. The characters and story are strong and interesting. The elements of the immigrant Argentinian culture bring a furthe ...more
Judyw Winkleman
Feb 17, 2010 Judyw Winkleman rated it really liked it
Another goodreads winner!

I really enjoyed this book. My niece spent last year in Argentina as an exchange student. For me, it was fun to read about some of the things I knew she experienced. She brought home some mate', and I was able to taste it once.

Besides being about Argentine traditions, the story line and the romance made the reading experience so enjoyable. I could almost physically feel the emotion from the characters. I'm ready to read more Julia!

***I passed this book on to my sister, a
Mary Sivila
Jun 17, 2010 Mary Sivila rated it really liked it
This story is about a woman with Argentine heritage living in modern day USA. She is struggling with her own identity in a very traditional Argentine family. We read about her work and love lives and how she is finally a self-realized woman at the end of the story. It is like many stories of first generationists but it is light and easy to read. I enjoyed it so much I passed it on to an Argentine friend of mine. She agreed it rang true to her own upbringing here in the USA.
Julia DeBarrioz
Nov 21, 2014 Julia DeBarrioz rated it liked it
Shelves: latino
This was a fun book about argentine immigrants and their children growing up in America. It afforded an interesting insiders look into the culture, as well as a sweet love story, and some poignant observations about what it means to be a human being. I enjoyed reading it, though it wasn't terribly complex and nothing really mind blowing happens throughout. I give it a solid 3 stars.
Chocolate & Croissants
Amante started off with a good enough idea, describe the lives of two immigrant families and how they are pursuing the American dream. How does their culture collide with living in a foreign country and was the move for the American dream worth it.

For me, the book was too predictable and cheesy. I found her writing style to be quite elementary.
Oct 03, 2009 itpdx rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
A romantic soap opera set in an Argentine immigrant community in southern California.

Over-sentimental and predictable.

"Hot tears flowed from her eyes, and grief and fear from her soul. Her whole life, everything she worked for and lived for, was gone. It all came down to this. Boxes full of pictures and an empty house"
Oct 10, 2009 Shannon rated it it was ok
A simple read that started with some good ideas but ended up being predictable and cheesy. Pretty elementary so not sure who the audience is for this book. It was OK and certainly not a waste of time so a good airport book or one of those books when you don't have the time or patience to really pay attention.
Sep 22, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a really nice story. The family issues and the themes of forging one's own independence within strong cultural traditions were believable. The honesty and lack of game-playing between the intended romantic couple was really refreshing.
Mar 19, 2010 Luz rated it did not like it
I had higher expectations for this from all the reviews and being hispanic. Half way through it realized it was not going to get any better. The characters were so annoying and uninteresting. This is a sappy, shallow romance.
Oct 01, 2013 Kari rated it really liked it
Pretty much the perfect antidote to the unlikable characters of my previous read. This was fun, simple, and enjoyable. Reminded me a lot of My Big Fat Greek Wedding in theme, with a main character I could root for.
Oct 27, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
An Argentine twist on a typical "chick lit" beach read book. I liked it, and enjoyed reading it, even though I didn't relate to any of the characters. A book about independence, traditions, and changing them.
Jan 15, 2010 Gloria rated it really liked it
It's a really cute book about love and culture and finding yourself while keeping what's important to you. I would recommend it more to females, though I am sure there would plenty of men who would like it as well.
Feb 16, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
I like this book for light reading. The characters felt it was a bit forced, but overall a fun read. I'd recommend for trips to the beach, an easy morning commute read, or a night-time guilty pleasure.
Dec 07, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a book that I won from Goodreads. It was a light, fun read. It was interesting the way the author portrayed immigrants and their children that were born in America. Well written and a quick read.
May 22, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
simple, fun, romantic. loved all the traditional argentinean references - dulce de leche, cafe con leche, etc - things that I grew up with in my argentinean family. a perfect summer beach book.
There was nothing wrong with Amante's novel, but nothing much happened. I never felt a strong feeling of attachment to any of her characters. A decent light read.
May 21, 2014 Zuzka rated it liked it
Fast read, however, the plot was too predictable, with underdeveloped characters and tons of cliches.
Apr 10, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
I won this book from goodreads and was glad I did! Interesting cultural insights, and a good, quick read.
John Rose
Sep 19, 2009 John Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
More or less a romance novel with Latino flair. A fast and easy read. It was an okay read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »