White And Red

White And Red

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  845 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Dorota Maslowska's audacious debut novel establishes her as a new young literary voice of international importance. When Snow White and Russian Red was first published, it became a controversial, acclaimed best seller in both Poland and Germany, a stunning accomplishment since the author was only nineteen. Reminiscent of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, Snow White and Russian
Published (first published 2002)

Nancy
Snow White and Russian Red by Dorota Maslowska is the first and award-winning novel by this young Polish author. It is tersely written, stylish and darkly humorous, about troubled, drug-addled, marginalized post-Communist Polish youths. The story starts out with the main character being dumped by his girlfriend and his search for the next girl, next hit of speed and his continued commentary about the state of Poland. The book is well written, but the characters were so unlikeable and their lives...more
patrick o'hara
I had to read this book in Gary Thompson's Central European Lit. class.

It's a decent work of fiction, but if you aren't hooked on amphetamines you won't relate to the characters as much. It's also translated from Polish, so a lot of the dialogue is hard to follow.

It's a lot like the movie Trainspotting starring Obi-wan Kenobi, except takes place in Poland.

Here is the part where I make reference to the fact that the characters are living in a post-Soviet world, and that is why their situation ha...more
Adrian
So this has been called the Polish Trainspotting by other people... and I must admit, I agree... Remember when you first read Trainspotting? How you couldn't understand why someone would write a book like this, but couldn't put it down? This is the same, a stream of scratchy prose with no chapters and hardly any punctuation, becomes one of the funniest and yet most horrible books you will have read. Basically - I absolutely loved this, the first book to make me laugh out loud on the train in a v...more
Anna
Poddałam się. Naprawdę się poddałam. Nie byłam w stanie przeczytać tej książki. Równie dobrze mogła być napisana trzynastozgłoskowcem. Ta książka jest po prostu zła. Człowieka, który wynalazł Masłowską i ją wypromował, powinien być surowo ukarany.
Eva
Crazy, trippy, insane. Maslowska ventriloquizes the hypermasculine protagonist "Nails" to unfold a nightmarish account of Anti-Russki day in a small town in Poland. As nationalism and xenophobia are blown out of proportion, tradition and interpersonal relationships become hopelessly fraught and doomed. Reality fragments itself, and it is impossible to figure out what on earth is going on. Awesome read. Definitely pick it up if you like Yerofeev's Moscow to the End of the Line.
Justine
Incredible. A style that seems to be all over the place, but somehow put on the page so well that it isn't annoying. An enlightening look at the difference between reality and illusion. Definitely really interesting. A few other people have mentioned issues with the translation--though it's hard, I think that the way it was done seems to work. The novel follows teenagers that are constantly on drugs--fluid language just wouldn't cut it.
Zuzana
Přiznávám, že jsem s Maslowske knihou měla problémy už od začátku. Silou vůle jsem se nakonec donutila knihu dočíst... a nemám z ní nic, jen pocit absolutního zmaru. Podle mého se utopila v použité jazykové stylizaci, naprosto na úkor obsahu, který si může čtenář jen domýšlet. A tak nějak jsem se prostě dodneška nesmířila s knihami, které upřednostňují formu před obsahem.
Eva Lavrikova
Knihu som čítala už dávnejšie v českom preklade, teraz v slovenskom (preložil Tomáš Horváth, vyšlo pod názvom Sneh a krv). Chvíľu mi trvalo, kým som sa dostala do štýlu plného repetície, metafor, asociačných reťazcov a poetizmov, ale potom som si to užila náramne... štýl krásne kontrastoval s drsnejším dejom a "prízemnými" zápletkami, celé rozprávanie sa odvíja ako myšlienkový prúd hlavnej postavý, Silného, ktorý je drsňák, ako má byť - napriek tomu si ho však človek akosi obľúbi. Naozaj plastic...more
MajinFox
OPINIA Z 27 CZERWCA 2012

Nie wiem już sam czego oczekiwałem po tym tytule. Z jednej strony otoczka odpychała mnie od sięgnięcia po debiut Doroty Masłowskiej. Z drugiej, czyż recenzja takiej książki nie powinna się znaleźć na moim blogu? Wziąłem się w garść i zatopiłem po uszy w szambie.

I teraz dziwota. Kontrowersje są, ale jedyne kogo mogą obruszyć to chyba osoby nieczytających książek, gdzie według nich ostatnia świętość na tym padole to książki (które z obrzydzeniem omijają). Bo nie wulgaryzmy...more
MsZabka
It was touted as the Polish "Less than Zero" or "Trainspotting", so I decided to give it a go.

I'd stopped after the first 30 or so pages and switched to another book. Is it a bad translation? Am I missing something here? I got some info about the author and checked out some reviews - split down the line - you either love it or hate it. One (Polish) user review discourages anyone who loves the Polish language from reading it. Fine, so I tried again and forced myself to finish it as quickly as pos...more
Darkpandora
I should know not to read novels about drugs. It bores me. And basically, that's what this book did too. Not that it is not well written, the young author has her own style, but I cannot relate to the imagery linked to the drug trips. It's something that I have no experience in, that doesn't attract me, and that I have great difficulty to understand.

I still decided to read it to the end, and I found the last forty pages more interesting as they dealt more with the relationship of the author towa...more
Cyrus
For a first novel by a nineteen year old this is a great book. I don't know if I'd say it's a "great book" though. It is fast-paced and darkly humorous. It was also interesting to get a feel for the views of youth in post-communist Poland. The author does a good job of making the first person narration a reflection of the protagonist's drug addled consciousness. The plot seemed to be a vehicle to express something about the unique sort of national consciousness that exists in a country that is...more
Marta
I can count on the fingers of a hand the books I started but didn't finish because somehow I do always think that every book deserves the change to be read until the end before being judged and I pushed myself until half of the book but I really can't go on..

The writing style reminds me of Joyce's stream of consciousness which is not easy to follow ..some parts of the book are just revolting and this comes from someone who loves some gorey authors like PZ Brite but in this case I just can't see...more
Irm
I really like the book. Not all the parts but most of it.

First of all because of the language - it's chaotic but this chaos is controlled. The grammatic rules are broken, swearing is the order of the day but still there is a place for poetry. Masłowska's ability of juggling of the words is amasing.

I really admire the transaltors who had to find this havoc in their languages.

"Snow White and Russian Red" is not only the play of words but is also a very perspicacious look for the world of small to...more
Paul
The first half to two-thirds is a sloppy mess. Perhaps that's the translator's error, but the English edition is rather crude, and not just in subject matter. The first analogy that comes to mind is that Dorota is a second or third tier Hunter Thompson. The subject of this book: Speed. Amphetamines. The last third, however, is more placid and gathered. Gathered and coherent and just good overall. You still might not really like any of the characters, but at least that straight-edge girl bursts t...more
Nikki Skinner
Hang on through the first thirty pages and enjoy the Poland which Maslowska imports into your home. The broken language and sentences can be rough at times but the author's story is worth perservering for. Definitely agree that she is the modern voice of Polish literature.
kasia
This translation is terrible. It's not really the translator's fault - Maslowska's style is pretty much, I think, impossible to translate - but this version just doesn't do justice, at all, to the original. While I really like the book in Polish, I just can't recommend it in English. The book depends far too much on the prose style to work in translation.
Steven Wedgeworth
Read this one for the style. I don't remember the story being overly compelling, unfortunately, and it definitely suffers from the same thing that all of postmodernity is suffering from, a lack of identity. It was fun in its own sort of way though. It is a drug story, though, and so you have to be into that sort of genre.
Suncan Stone
I really don't know.. It is ok, but not anything more then that.. I thought it would be a great insight into Poland as it is now, you know how the young writers live and all that, but it all really seemed a bit outdated (even though it is from this millennium)...
Jenn Custard-Jarosz
This is an interesting story that's absurdly funny at times. However, the translation can be a little painful. If you have no patience for bits of awkward grammar I'd skip this one, although it suits the paranoid junkie protagonist well.
Zenu
Some explosive fun matched by an equaly expolosive sorrow, but beyond that - a wall, a blank page, lack of ideas, solutions and experience. Very good for a girl of around 20, more thant questionable for a mature writer.
Mad Zakrzewska
Aug 30, 2009 Mad Zakrzewska rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mad by: Zosia, Marysia
If you tried to cut away some polish street with young drug addicts and put it on paper, you'll probably have something similar to Masłowska's book. But her version is better. Great style.
Andrew
A spunky, drug-addled tale from Poland and a teenage author. That a teenager wrote this book is absolutely mind-boggling to me. I can't wait for what comes next.
Aga
i might've enjoyed this one more if I read it in Polish, the translation is a little weird and the grammer is awkward...
Susann
Very weird. Extremely tiresome. Maybe realistic though. If that is about "nowadays" youth, I feel like Methuselah.
Daniel
it took me a while to read it, but in the end it suddenly got postmodern!! "Sneeuwwit en Russisch rood".
Kramar
This book is not fantastic, but worth reading as an introduction to Masłowska's world and language.
oriana
Supercool crazy disjointed story about Polish cokeheads. I read it twice in a row.
Jess
Trying to be Trainspotting for Poland (I think?), and failing. Oh, so much failing.
Piekielko
uwielbiam ksiazki pisane ciekawym jezykiem.
  • Zły
  • Ciemno, prawie noc
  • Zdążyć przed Panem Bogiem
  • Madame
  • Medaliony
Masłowska was born July 3, 1983 in Wejherowo, and grew up there. She applied for the University of Gdańsk's faculty of psychology and was accepted, but left the studies for Warsaw, where she joined the culture studies at the Warsaw University. She first appeared in the mass-media when her debut book Wojna polsko-ruska pod flagą biało-czerwoną (translated to English as either White and Red in the U...more
More about Dorota Masłowska...
Kochanie, zabiłam nasze koty Paw królowej Między nami dobrze jest A Couple of Poor Polish-Speaking Romanians Dusza światowa