Start by marking “Layla, Queen of Hearts” as Want to Read:
Layla, Queen of Hearts

Layla, Queen of Hearts (Kingdom of Silk #2)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When Layla's school announces a Senior Citizens' Day, Layla is at a loss. Who can she take? Her friend Griffin Silk offers to share his grandmother, Nell, but Layla desperately wants someone of her own. So Nell introduces Layla to Miss Amelie and a friendship begins. Layla soon learns that Miss Amelie has problems with her memory. Layla is determined to help—and a small bu ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Layla, Queen of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layla, Queen of Hearts

Anne Hamilton
This review is not just about Layla, Queen of Hearts but two other books in The Kingdom of Silk series: The Naming of Tishkin Silk and Perry Angel’s Suitcase.

Tender and lyrical prose, gentle and almost achingly poignant moments and a golden daffy-down-dilly air pervading the stories: make sure you grab your tissue box before reading the Kingdom of Silk series.

Although I've rated them highly, I admit to some doubts. Because I'm not sure these stories for children are aimed at the right age group.
Shattered-Dream-Renewed-Hopes
Layla Queen of Hearts

I read Layla Queen of Hearts a few years ago but it is permanently printed in my memory for eternity. I loved this book, it was the first book I shed a few tears for the characters. Considering that I have been accused of not having any emotions, it surprised me, that a book who was meant for a younger audience made me cry. I don't remember exact details from the book but i recall that this book had a certain gentleness in the words, gentle and calm. The characters are simpl
Michelle
Mar 24, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous. Another "small miracle... an arm about your shoulders... a candle in the dark.... like golden syrup dumplings for the soul". Glenda Millard's 'Kingdom of Silk's' series is all of that.
It's not often a book can make me cry, really cry.... let alone a children's book. But these slim novels are full of such wisdom and warmth - they are pure delight.
"Layla Queen of Hearts" tackles another big topic (dementia) - Griffin and Layla get the benefit of Nell's gentle wisdom when they befriend M
Zoe
Jan 01, 2015 Zoe rated it really liked it
Brimming with kindness and thoughtfulness this exploration of cross generational friendship is, like the first book in Kingdom of Silk series, surprising and beautiful. This 2nd book also explores unresolved grief; this time of Layla missing her grandmother. Dementia and what memories mean and how they are made are also important themes. Unpatronising and gentle.
Nayuleska
Feb 14, 2015 Nayuleska rated it it was amazing
It makes sense now that Layla is a Silk even though she technically isn't.
Claire
May 09, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers, families, classrooms
Recommended to Claire by: thanks Kevin
Glenda Millard has created a sweet place for her gentle characters. These are gentle little books for readers just leaping into chapter books. Here, Layla knows that for the school's senior citizen's day she can borrow Griffin's grandmother Nell- but she desperately wants her own Senior- Nell introduces her to Amelie. When the relationship becomes challenging, Layla does not give up, her generosity of spirit and patience win the day in the end.
Maggie
Jul 26, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
A Unique portrayal of a friendship that develops between a 3rd grader and a frail senior citizen, whose mind is failing. Shows importance of the elderly in young people's lives. Layla is a loveable character who is seeking a friend to accompany her to Senior Citizen's Day at school. (The author is Australian, so I am presuming this is an Australian custom.) The story shows death and decline as natural elements of life.
Clare Cannon
A delightful and sensitive story about a little girl who learns that love and miracles turn the sadness of missing someone who has passed away into the sweetest of loving memories. A stunning story.

Layla's sadness a year after her nana's death:
"In an odd way though, it was a lovely sort of sadness. It was as fragrant as the flowers in Nana's garden and as sweet as the last bite of a pink jelly-cake." (19)
Anne-Marie
4* because the ending felt rushed, but maybe that's because I want these books to last forever. Heartbreakingly beautiful. I need to read them all.
babyhippoface
Oct 22, 2010 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
Gentle. Sentimental. Compassionate. Quiet. That's this book. I am now firmly a Glenda Millard and Silk family fan. These books have also introduced me to illustrator Patrice Barton, and I LOVE her work. If I could draw, this is how I'd want to do it.

Companion to The Naming of Tishkin Silk, another heartwarming family story.
Heather Browning
Very sweet follow-up to The Naming of Tishkin Silk. The Silk family are wonderfully eccentric and feel much more complete with their mother back in the fold. Layla's quest to first find a 'senior citizen' to bring to school and then help Miss Amelie when they find her, show a sweet and innocent compassion.
Maggie Wrobel
Sep 07, 2010 Maggie Wrobel rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, death
Charming. Deals with the importance of senior citizens in the lives of children and also how children feel better when they are part of the funereal customs concerning the death of a loved one, as opposed to being "protected" from knowing about death. (grades 3 - 7)Very touching.
Sophie Kaelin
Jan 04, 2014 Sophie Kaelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adorable. Love this series. A word of advice, read them in order for the full emotional effect. The later books will spoil the first.
Kim
Aug 30, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Layla is needs to find a special person to take to Senior Citizen's Day at school. She could share Griffin's grandma, but she wants someone of her own. A tender story about family, love and growing old. Second book in the Silk Family series. Lovely
Kim
Jan 31, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I would love to live in the Kingdom of Silk: keeping bees, baking my own bread, enjoying outdoor brunches with soft-boiled eggs (that are wearing knitted caps to keep them warm, of course). So simple and so lovely.
Mariana
Oct 04, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I really love the elderly and this was a cute book about a elderly woman and the love of a child for her. Quick, sweet read.
Patty
Aug 08, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-juv
Sweet but could be deep, depending on the discussion or what the child got from it. The story is at a higher level than the reading level required.
Reade
Oct 02, 2012 Reade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really sweet and a bit sad in a way. My dad read it to me and I will never forget it
Louisa
Aug 05, 2011 Louisa rated it really liked it
A very touching story, wonderfully written. Great, lovable characters.
Jolie
Jul 10, 2014 Jolie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler)
Leanne
Jul 17, 2012 Leanne rated it it was amazing
Book 2 of Kindom of Silk
Franki Sibberson
May 15, 2010 Franki Sibberson rated it really liked it
GREAT EARLY CHAPTER BOOK.
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings marked it as to-read
RL900
Georgina Stevenson
Georgina Stevenson rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Małgorzata
Małgorzata marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Helle Kirstein
Helle Kirstein rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Corrina
Corrina rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Hazel Winters
Hazel Winters marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
merrow
merrow rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Glenda Millard was born in the Goldfields region of Central Victoria and has lived in the area all her life. The communities she has lived in and the surrounding landscapes have provided a rich source of inspiration and settings for many of her stories.

It was not until Glenda's four children became teenagers that she began to write in her spare time. She is now a full-time writer.

Apart from writin
More about Glenda Millard...