Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)

Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,096 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Spring brings Felicity's tenth birthday and a visit from Grandfather. He gives Felicity a precious gift--a guitar that had belonged to her grandmother. Felicity is so enchanted with the guitar that she disobeys her mother and takes it out of the house to show her friend Elizabeth. Her parents are angry when they learn what she's done. They refuse to believe a message Felic ...more
Published July 1st 1992 by American Girl (first published June 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story

Felicity The Magnificent
In this book, Felicity's birthday was coming soon in the spring. One day her grandfather wanted to show her something. Her little sister was holding a lamb. Her little brother and sister went to go get her mom and dad to show them the lamb. One day her grandfather showed her a guitar and told her it was her grandmother's, so she had to keep it safe. Then finally it was the day before her birthday. When she went to bed late that night she could hardly wait until the next day. The next day she wok ...more
Shelli
Like all ten year old girls, Felicity is eagerly awaiting the arrival of her birthday. Her dreams of a small but delicious party filled with her mother’s pastries upon fancy serving sets is her greatest wish. Also during this time her Grandfather, a loyalist to the King, is staying for an extended visit. The pending revolt seems eminent and young patriots like Ben, her father’s apprentice speaking out against the Governor and by extension the king, this can make for a tense visit with Grandfathe ...more
Gretchen
In Happy Birthday, Felicity!, Felicity's grandfather is coming to stay with the Merrimans for awhile. He brings a pet lamb, Posie, for all of the children to take care of, and he brings Felicity a special gift for her birthday -- a beautiful guitar that belonged to her grandmother. Felicity is told not to take it out of the house; actually, she's not supposed to even take it out of the parlor, but she really wants to take it to her lessons and make Annabelle jealous, so one day when everyone is ...more
Becky Keir Grace
Felicity is given her grandmother's guitar, and she is excited to learn how to play it. She is told to leave it at home, but takes it to her teacher to have her tune it. She then takes it to her friends house and forgets it. When she returns she overhears a conversation between the British officer and her friend's father, a loyalist. After the incident with the guitar, her family does not trust her and will not listen to what she has to say. She takes matters into her own hands.

Also, in the stor
Miri
It's springtime and Felicity's birthday is coming soon and even better her grandfather is coming to visit! Grandfather is a loyalist and often buts head with Felicity's father who is a patriot. When her grandfather gives Felicity a guitar for her birthday that belonged to her grandmother, Felicity promised to keep it safe and not take it out of the house, but she breaks this promise and while she does she overhears something very important to the Patriot soldiers, only no one will believe her no ...more
Emmie
This book was fun to read to Lillian. It deals with responsibility and incorporates an element of history into the story line. There is also an element of family tension along with forgiveness. It was neat to see how much they were able to pack into this short book that opened up some discussion with my girl.
Tara
We are really enjoying reading Felicity before bedtime. Well, I am, at least. Some nights Katelyn and Liza will have fallen asleep and I keep reading just to finish the chapter.
Ruth
Still soldiering through these with Podling 4, with whom I'm reading these aloud in turns. She's really digging them, but I tire of the formulaic structure.
Brittany Granger
I am going to do a mass review of all the books in the American Girl series, and then copy and paste to each book when I get the chance. Stay Tuned!
The other John
There's a nice touch in the fourth book of the American Girls: Felicity series: Felicity does something totally boneheaded. I mean, despite her "spunky, spritely" qualities, she pulls an absent minded stunt that any nine-year-old might do. Other than that, the story has little that rates a comment. (Well, I do wonder if her family's kitchen helper is an employee or property. Slavery is only mentioned in passing in this series.) 'Tis a simple, predictable tale with a happy ending. It's nice waiti ...more
Alisse
I thought that Happy Birthday Felicity was fine. The little lamb that Felicity's Grandfather gave her was so cute that it reminded me of Shotgun my goat that I had. She also got a beautiful guitar that had a dark pink bow. Felicity had her own garden that she took care of she had a weed that was very stubborn so sh had to dig it up every day. On her birthday she got a beautiful vase that was filled with beautiful flowers that her grandfather picked and he also picked her stubborn weed.
Lauren Zaglifa
It's Felicity's birthday if anyone doesn't read the title. Grandfather has given her her grandmother's guitar. Felicity is warned never to let it out of the house. Let alone the room that it is currently. But felicity couldn't help but take it to her lady school and get it tuned. She walks with Elizabeth to her house and gets destracted and leaves the guitar.

Read it yourself and tell me what you think.
Along with the rest of the books I post. I like some feed back
Michelle
Felicity learns to tell the truth, lives it out along with honor for her family.
Aubrie
It was awesome because Felicity got a guitar but she took it out and got it really ruined. Her father and her grandfather and her mom were angry. She heard the governor talking to her friend Elizabeth's dad saying that the loyalists were going to steal the gun powder from the colonists so she warned Ben, one of her friend's. So, they warned the colonists. Her mom, dad and grandfather forgave her for the guitar because she had helped the colonists.
Felicity has a birthday and for her birthday her grandfather came and gave her lots of presents like her grandmother's guitar.She sneaks out her guitar and leaves it at her friend Elizabeth when she went to get it she over hears Elizabeth's father talking to a solider that the Governor is going to steal all the gun powder.
Teri
Liberty girls/book club activities:
Birthday party
guitar lesson

I really enjoyed seeing pictures of the Williamsburg Magazine where the marines were trying to steal the colonists' gunpowder. My kids enjoyed learning that this experience really happened, except we don't know who it was that sounded the alarm.
Karen
What was this book about?
It was about Felicity having a birthday and her grandpa came and gave her a present- a guitar and a lamb.

Who was your favorite character?
Felicity

What do you like best about this story?
That Felicity can have a good birthday.
Hailey
i like reading american girl books because they have history in it. but i hate history. But reading about it in a book that i like is better than sitting in a chair and listining to my 7th grade teacher Mr. Gonzolez yap about it on and on and on...
Megan
It is almost Felicity's birthday and her grandfather comes she gets wonderful gifts but there is war coming and dangerous things happening and she must warn everyone as soon as possible. But will they believe her?
Anna
It's felicity birthday! But while she takes her new gift out she hears that the king is about to do a secret attack . . . what will happen she sounds the alarm.
Kelsey
Apr 04, 2008 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7-10
This series is a really good one. I've read more than what's on my list, but I don't feel like going through 40 somewhat pages. LOLS :) They are easy though.
Robyn
I know I read this when I was in 4th-6th grade, & I know I liked it as well as any Felicity books in the AG series, but I don't remember this one very well...
Ashley
Felicity learns a lesson about trust and honesty. Abby said it was good to know that even colonial girls got in trouble with their parents:)
I love that we meet her grandfather is this book. I love that he is strong in his beliefs. I also like what a spirit Felicity is.
Rivkah.
Another nice Felicity story. Not one of my favorites, but I thought it was nice anyways.
Lupita
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
Cws
JAR4-AGF
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Addy Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Addy, #5)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Rebecca and the Movies (American Girls: Rebecca, #4)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Felicity (6 books)
  • Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Changes for Felicity: A Winter Story (American Girls: Felicity, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)