Start by marking “Lafcadio's Adventures” as Want to Read:
Lafcadio's Adventures

Lafcadio's Adventures

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,153 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Passing with cinematographic speed across the capitals of Europe, Nobel laureate André Gide’s Lafcadio’s Adventures is a brilliantly sly satire and one of the clearest articulations of his greatest theme: the unmotivated crime.
When Lafcadio Wluiki, a street-smart nineteen-year-old in 1890s Paris, learns that he’s heir to an ailing French nobleman’s fortune, he’s seized by
Published 1953 by Doubleday Anchor Books (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about Lafcadio's Adventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lafcadio's Adventures

Claire McAlpine
A rolicking, entertaining satire republished and retranslated in 2014, 100 years after its first publication. It makes fun of those of faith, the bourgeois, the gullible and the innocent. All are victims, except perhaps the illegitimate.

A much more comprehensive review here at Word by Word.
John Kemp
"Is it possible to choose freely to do evil?" is the question that Gide set out to explore in this "sotie", a kind of light-hearted philosophical jeu d'esprit and satire, interesting too as an early novelistic exploration of the theme of paranoia and conspiracy theory. The answer is no, but much fun is had at the expense of the Church and bourgeoisie along the way.
Anesa
Possible spoiler--

Despite my expectation that Gide must be a thoroughly anti-establishment writer, developments in this racy and sometimes humorous narrative place the author in company with Dan Quayle and other conservatives who’ve decried the evil effects of illegitimate births & child-rearing. Lafcadio’s “unmotivated crime” comes to pass as a result of his rootless lifestyle and devotion to fleeting amusements. The evil impulse fills an emptiness where attachment is lacking. His mother’s
Daniel
A delightful, sprightly farce infused with a buoyant energy that captures the essence of old-world Europe. The original title, "The Vatican Swindle," seems more appropriate. While Lafcadio enables the crux of Gide's philosophical musings, there's much more to this story than that. Although I was interested in Gide's exploration of "a crime without motive," I found his descriptions of bed bugs much more memorable and entertaining. A great book for an armchair traveler, or a backpacking/train adve ...more
Augustina Vasile
Unlike my good habits, I have read this book without researching the author or his work beforehand. Therefore, I ended up pacing through the book and considering it a light reading, some kind of sordid literary joke. Moreover - in spite of the fact that I love open endings - this 'grand finale' disappointed me by what I thought to be a lack of capacity to tie the knots of the plot.

But my OCD reading skills determined me to find out some more about André Gide's work and especially about "Les Cave
Matthew
This was fun. Gide is an under-rated master of pacing and character development. The jacket copy oversells the book as some kind of proto-Camus exploration of "unmotivated crime," but really it's a retro-18th-century-style farce, full of mistaken identity, improbable coincidences, estates satire, and some gleeful mockery of religion thrown in for good measure.
Steven Monrad
My first Gide; atheism, anti-clericalism, Catholicism, crime, moves fast, the philosophy is in the action I guess.
Caves du Vatican is the correct title, cellars is a poor translation but the book has a good translation.
Ahmad Sharabiani
دخمه‌های واتیکان (۱۹۱۴) ترجمه سیروس ذکاء انتشارات یزدان و تحت عنوان سردابهای واتیکان ترجمه عبدالحسین شریفیان انتشارات اساطیر. این رمان در لیست روزنامه گاردین ( ۱۰۰۰ رمان که هر شخص باید بخواند) قرار دارد
Kevin Tole
Most French bollix is not high on my list of likes. What attracted to me about this was I was looking for a book where the protagonists found Jesus imprisoned beneath the Vatican which was a complete riot of a book. Searched for it but could not find it but did find this. Never read any Gide. Saw that he was highly thought of by the DaDaists. Thought I'd give it a go.

wasn't inspired at the start. Read like another piece of Edwardian middleclass bourgeois tosh. In fact the more I read it, it seem
J de Salvo
One of the finest Novels ever written. One in a cycle of Old Great Novels about "Crime and Punishment", which includes Dostoevsky, Gide, Camus, and Celine, that Nazi.
Lafcadio
Aug 21, 2014 Lafcadio rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeff
Shelves: suite, meta, glitter
I read it for... obvious reasons, but didn't enjoy it all that much.
Czarny Pies
Aug 30, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone curious about this once very famous Nobel Prize winner
Recommended to Czarny by: Gide's reputation was still at its height when I was a teenager.
Shelves: french-lit
Andre Gide the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1947 is talked about less now than when I was attending secondary school in the 1970s. Because of his great reputation, I laboured through a half-dozen or so of his works before I tired of him. I found several of his works (La Porte Etroite, La Symphonie Pastorale and l'Immortaliste) to be remarkable primarily for the lack of joy they created in the reader's spirit.

I suggest then that someone wishing to know more about Gide start with Le
MisterFweem
This is one of the reasons I left journalism: For the most part, I am a gullible person. Gullibility and journalism, just like cheeseburgers and loneliness, are not a healthy mix. What people told me, for the most part, I believed. That worked fine for most things, but I did encounter the occasional source who wanted to lie and reveled in the fact that I could not detect them lying.

I’m no longer in that business, which is a good thing.

And I like to believe I’m less gullible these days, though I
Mazel
rix nobel de littérature 1947

Qu'une vieille mule comme Amédée Fleurissoire rencontre des escrocs, et le voilà en route pour Rome, persuadé d'aller sauver le pape. À ce jeu de dupes, il n'a pas grand chose à perdre sinon quelques illusions et beaucoup d'argent.

Qu'un jeune arriviste comme Lafcadio décide de se faire passer pour le fils naturel d'un grand auteur et le voilà maître à chanter. À ce jeu de dupes, il a tout à gagner.

Mais que ces deux destins se croisent à bord d'un vieux train et to
Juan Carlos
I am used to the fact that whenever I pick up a book by a Nobel laureate, it's usually a pretty safe bet. Unfortunately, this was not the case with Andre Gide's LAFCADIO'S ADVENTURES. To be quite frank, I had a very hard time finishisng the novel.

Lafcadio, the main character, has had a very hard life. His mother went through a series of lovers, whom she made him call "uncle" every single time. These men marked Lafcadio's life each in a different manner. He turns out to be a poor man, both econo
Edith
A Gullible Pietist and A Killer Without Motive: Lafcadio’s Adventures by Andé Gide

Abridged version of my review posted on Edith’s Miscellany on 11 October 2013

The story of Lafcadio’s Adventures revolves around a set of five exaggerated types rather than characters: the confirmed atheist, model scientist and freemason Anthime Armand-Dubois; the practicing, though pragmatic Catholic and writer of mediocre novels Count Julius de Baraglioul; Lafcadio Wluiki, an eighteen-year-old man who is the illeg
Ronan Mcdonnell
Alternates between idiosyncratic society portrait and biting satire of the last days days of a colonial europe. Gide questions our motivations and freedom, but also his allowance as a writer to pursue and extend those with his characters. There is an urgency to the writing, and you feel his anxiety to respond to wider questions on his previous works. The narrator pops in and out, even directing us at times and showing the artifice of the writing. It's wonderful.
Baiocco
Sep 26, 2007 Baiocco rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Like Nobel Prizes
Shelves: fiction
While Lafcadio's Adventure is a more engaging story than Gide's "Immoralist", the latter is far more effective at poisoning the well, so to speak. What impressed me most about this 200 page gem, besides the cool cover of the Doubleday Anchor Press edition (not shown here) that I found at that Adams Ave bookstore between Normal Heights and Kensington (how big is that fucking cat? by the way) is a scene when we discover Lafcadio pricks himself with a pin when he thinks no one is looking. It was so ...more
Jon
Aug 23, 2011 Jon added it
Looking for a change from reading about American issues, I picked up this definitively European novel (the differences between France and the comparatively barbaric--as Gide, or at least some of his characters, saw it--Italy is a major theme). If the earlier THE IMMORALIST was about a man discovering who he is, this novel is about people pretending to be what they're not--Gide was interested in cons, scams, ripoffs (not so irrelevant to American readers, after all). An earlier English-language e ...more
Lorissa
For some reason, when I'm asked to recite my favorite authors, I don't automatically think of Gide though all of the books I have read of his have been wholly consuming. Lafcadio's Adventures proved to be no less entertaining and downright funny at times. A satire of French Catholics circa 1890, Gide takes us through a Pope obsessed Europe with a few archetypical members of the petty bourgeoisie as guides. While the book jacket tries to make it out to be a serious look at the idea of a motiveles ...more
Sarah Archer-beck
This book struck me as very European in its sensibilities- which makes sense, given that it is French. All of the major characters undergo shocking, albeit superficial, changes of opinion that end them up about where they started. The journey is amusing though, and Gide is a very witty observer of society. His commentary about the hypocrisy and self-blindness of individuals and groups was especially interesting to read. It does not give me much hope that real change is possible as I set about to ...more
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
3.5 stars. Amusing and soulful writer. Something of a loose and wild escapade, but up and down in its fulfillment.
Santiago Ospina
Has a interesting plot. Every character is a universe, my favorite was Lafcadio Wluiki.
Vendea Eclee
Překvapivě dost dobré :) Tedy na to, že jsem to musela číst do školy a pan profesor má dost zvláštní výběr knih.

4/5*
Marc L
Twijfelt tussen satire, schelmenroman en zedenroman. Op het einde duidelijk een dostojevskipersiflage, zeer flauw. Over het algemeen zeer onderhoudend, maar weinig diepgang!
Stijl: Gecondenseerde, jachtige vertelstijl, heel anders dan zijn vorige werken
Duidelijk satirische ondertoon, overmatige details werken ironiserend
Tussendoor commentaar van de schrijver op zijn personages, alsof die een eigen leven leiden
Helen Kitson
The first part is the best and most interesting: the story and conversion of vivisectionist and atheist Anthime Armand-Dubois. Lafcadio is an interesting idea, not fully developed: the man who commits a crime for no reason at all - the perfect nihilist murder. An interesting development could have been the discovery that the Pope really had been kidnapped and replaced with a fake Pope. [May 1991]
Sonia
À l'image de l'histoire de mystification qu'il raconte, il est possible que ce récit relève de la supercherie et révèle de la part de son auteur un certain penchant pour la facilité. Je ne garde quasiment aucun souvenir des passages sur le meurtre gratuit. Mais ce qui est sûr, c'est qu'à 15 ans, je serais tombée amoureuse de Lafcadio, et cela vaut bien quelques étoiles.
Holly
Sep 25, 2012 Holly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book started out clever silly and original but man. all of a sudden it's become predictable. i need constant new discoveries can't be bothered to wade thru authors who have no secrets. i'm only 1/4th thru but i probably won't continue. so that was a waste of nearly 10 bucks on amazon. i can blame susan sontag for the recommendation. rip ss.
Goodreads Librari...: Gide's Banne Book 3 19 May 12, 2014 01:23AM
  • The Good Companions
  • Sour Sweet
  • The Three Paradoxes
  • Lucien Leuwen
  • The Gods Will Have Blood (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • La Curée (Les Rougon-Macquart, #2)
  • Death in Summer
  • The Ogre
  • The Devil in the Flesh
  • La Prisonnière (À la recherche du temps perdu, #5)
André Paul Guillaume Gide was a French author and winner of the Nobel Prize in literature in 1947. Gide's career ranged from its beginnings in the symbolist movement, to the advent of anticolonialism between the two World Wars.

Known for his fiction as well as his autobiographical works, Gide exposes to public view the conflict and eventual reconciliation between the two sides of his personality, s
More about André Gide...
The Immoralist The Counterfeiters La symphonie pastorale Strait is the Gate (La Porte Etroite) مایده‌های زمینی