Hunting Fear (Fear, #1) (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7)

Hunting Fear (Fear, #1) (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  5,161 ratings  ·  122 reviews
There's a new psychic on the scene, and he's ready for action: introducing Lucas Jordan, the latest addition to Noah Bishop's crackerjack Special Crimes Unit.

Lucas Jordan has an extraordinary psychic skill that police all over the country find invaluable: he locates missing people. And since being recruited by Noah Bishop for his FBI Special Crimes Unit, Lucas has learned...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

Lhenry
I had mnixed feeling about this one. It was exciting, tension filled and intriguing. The paranormal abilities of the characters were cool. I liked minor characters like Wyett, Lindsey and Caitlin. I thought the villain and his crimes were suitably blood-chilling. All in all I thought it was an exciting, well executed plot.

But I found Lucas surprisingly under developed. In spite of him beind described and intense and focused, but found him lacking in personality. And... I found Samantha unbearabl...more
Darcia Helle
I am a big fan of Kay Hooper and this book does not disappoint. Hunting Fear is the first in what is sort of a series within a series. The broader series is about a special unit within the FBI, formed by Noah Bishop. All its members have some sort of psychic ability, including "seers" and "mediums". These agents use their abilities to hunt down the worst and most elusive criminals.

The Fear series follows agent Lucas Jordan, as he tries to find a serial killer who makes a game of murder. Lucas' p...more
Karen Jones
Hunting Fear was really good. I did, unfortunately, figure out the villain about halfway through, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment.

It wasn't super fast-paced, but it moved along steady enough to keep me unable to set it down easily. I actually read the majority of it today, unable to set it aside until I saw how it all played out.

One thing I did like is the lack of shock-value crime details. Some books, it seems, need to conjure images of horrible murder scenes to make an impact on the reader....more
Stephanie Stephens
I've read some of the BCU books in the past, and I don't know what I expected this one to be. It's gruesome, and bad things happen to characters that you like. It's kind of like it's a light mystery/romance trying to be a suspense novel. It doesn't quite fit either place. But I will probably read more of these in the future. Because I can't help myself, not because they are great books.
Paris
Up until this book I had enjoyed reading Kay Hooper’s Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. Each book was a new adventure and I totally had a little crush on Bishop. I took a break before this book because I had a ton of new books to read, but that break didn’t matter. I jumped right back into the SCU world like I’d never left. This time around we focused on Lucas Jordan and his abilities and of course there was a girl that made his life more interesting. The relationship between Lucas and Sam was...more
Brent Soderstrum
This is book #7 of the Bishop SCU FBI series by Kay Hooper. Maybe I am starting to get burned out on her mysteries. In this one Lucas, a member of Bishop's team, is trying to find a kidnapper/killer who loves to terrify his victims before they are eventually killed. He starts out by kidnapping them, getting the ransom and then instead of letting them go he brutally kills them. In Golden, North Carolina he appears to have settled in for a long killing spree. He starts with local citizens and even...more
Gina
Bestselling author Kay Hooper ratchets up the tension in this fast-paced thriller about a psychic profiler and his hunt for a seemingly invincible murderer. Profiler Lucas Jordan has been able to locate missing people by sensing their fear, the very fear that excites the killer he's trying to find. But there's a twist in the latest kidnapping -- a carnival psychic predicted the crime a week before it happened. Psychic "Zarina" turns out to be Samantha Burke, a woman from Lucas's past; warily, th...more
Louise
I've never yet been disappointed in a Kay Hooper mystery/suspense novel. Hunting Fear was released in hardcover in August 2004 and just released in paperback this month (July, 05). Hunting Fear is the next novel in Kay's "Bishop Special Crimes Unit" series.

From back cover:

"He's no ordinary kidnapper. Not only does he strike again and again, but he collects the ransom, gets away safely, and leaves his hostages dead. Now, after months of eluding the best law enforcement can put against him, this m...more
Ana T.
I am always looking forward to start a new Hooper book. Even if they they don't make my top reads list they are usually fast paced and intriguing and they make for enjoyable reads. Hunting Fear is no exception and almost made it to the above mentioned list.

Lucas Jordan is another of Bishop's agents. The book starts with Bishop enlisting Jordan which was a really nice bit as I don't think we've been getting enough Bishop in the last books I've read. As the other agents on the team Lucas has a par...more
Kristen
Hooper has hit another home run in her special crimes unit series. This outing has one of the most inventive, and creepily clever psychos I've come across.

The series of abductions that turn into murders are stacking up fast and none of the law enforcement members seem to have a clue how to catch and stop him.

The fact that the two key character protagonists Lucas and Jordan are exes lends an extra helping of sexual tension, complexity and interest to their romance - they both want to catch the ki...more
Amy Corwin
May 26, 2008 Amy Corwin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Suspense and paranormal suspense fans
I always like Kay Hooper's suspense novels featuring Bishop's special FBI unit of psychics. They are entertaining and don't contain a lot of gratuitous sex which is the major fault of so many suspense novels today that use the plot as a vehicle to force characters together. The plot and suspense are the major focus and I very much appreciate it, which is why I'm attempting to collect all of those books in this series.

The only reason I did not give this 5 stars out of 5 is a problem that all of t...more
Brittney
The first Kay Hooper book I've read. The psychic parts of it were interesting to me. Good story, scary villain, good suspense.
But I wish there was more back story on Lucas, i feel as I reader i didn't get to know him well, also at times Samantha really bothered me.
I will check out the other novels in this series because I'm interested in the paranormal/psychic aspects. I hope Lucas is in other books in the series because I still want to know more about him.
fleegan
Oh, I know. I said I would never read any more Kay Hooper books. I said they were crap. And...they are. But apparently she started a new trilogy with the same Special Crime Unit Psychic FBI Agent Characters. And hells bells, I'm weak, you know this. This is the first book in the "Fear" trilogy. It's just as predictable and formulaic as her other Bishop/SCU novels.
There's a psychic who isn't part of the SCU. A member of the SCU comes to the same town to solve the mystery. This person is of the o...more
Cathy Cusson
This book was a thriller! I could not put it down. It kept me racing through it. I love Luke and Samantha - they make a dynamite team. Can't wait to read more about this special FBI unit.
Jody
I really enjoyed this book. I mean, I liked it enough to check out parts 2 and 3 at the library but not enough to buy them from Amazon. This was the first thing I had read by this author and if it hadn't been given to me I probably wouldn't have ever read it. The only thing about parts 2 and 3 is that they appear (from the synopsis at the back of the book) to be about different characters. Why would you write a trilogy about different people? Sure, they may be about the same unit but if I am goi...more
Skip
A serial kidnapper is playing a game of life and death with FBI Special Agent Lucas Jordan, and for 18 months, the kidnapper has been winning, killing his victims after the ransom is paid, after terrorizing them. Psyhic Jordan has a paranormal block that allows him to reach the kidnapped victims too late by feeling their fear. His ex-lover, seer Samantha Burke, is telling fortunes in a travelling circus until they are reunited in Golden, where the kidnapper has staged his battle of wits. The kid...more
Mark Giordano
I generally like the special crimes unit stories and this was no exception but I didn't find it difficult to put this one down. It wasn't a bad story it just didn't keep my attention like other past books have.
Jan
This was my kind of mystery... “a chillingly brilliant thriller” with good guys, bad guys, and just enough psychic powers thrown into the mix to make it very scary, yet still believable. Our hero, Lucas, is a profiler in a special crimes unit made up of agents possessing psychic powers. When kidnapped victims begin turning up dead, the team finds itself in a small, remote community where the circus has just come to town. Carnival psychic, Sam, a woman from Lucas’s past, adds romance to the alrea...more
Joyce
Kay Hooper keeps you guessing who "done" it til the end. Good series.
Amanda
I picked this boxed set of three audibles up simply because two of the stories were narrated by Dick Hill, an absolute golden-tongued reader. He can manage to pull a "meh- it was okay" book into something so much better. He did that with this one. There was so much "getting in touch with one's feelings" that it was sometimes nauseating. But listening to Hill add his inflections to the story I was able to push through. I'm in the middle of the 2nd novel now and it doesn't appear to be as bad as t...more
Elvia
First book I've read in a long while that I didn't want to put down. It took me about 7 hours of almost straight reading to finish!
I have become such a huge fan of this series. I love this type of crime drama. You never know who the "bad guy" is until very close to the end (most of the time). And the paranormal aspect is fantastic. You want to believe the possible science behind it all.
I have the four books in the series waiting in my book bag from the library. Can't wait to get started on the n...more
Beverly
I have read this book once before and had the opportunity to listen to it on CD this time. I was excited to re-read (so to speak) and see how much I remembered. I enjoyed the story very much. I had remembered the fear and some of the details, but realized that I had forgotten the nuances of the story.

The characters are fantastic - the plot is thrilling - if you get the chance - take the time to check this series out!
Kristy
So, I started reading this and then I realized it was book #7 in a series. I decided to read it anyway. It's your typical crime novel but with a little twist on it. The Special Crimes Unit is a police unit made up entirely of psychics. It adds that paranormal element to solving the crimes. It was interesting and did a great job of keeping the reader guessing. I just might have to read the previous 6 books :)
Alex
THis was great as an in the car read; set in the western half of North Carolina, a newly recruited FBI agent tracks down a serial killer, and finds that he is the target. Great twists and twists with a nice blend of the supernatural; excellent supporting characters and good descriptions of the land made for an enjoyable listen.
I will certainly grab another in the series for the beach trip next summer
Kris
This turn out to be a pretty good book about a special Psychic unit of the FBI. The detectives used their special skills to find a serial killer. It had me guessing until the end of who the villian was. The book made references to things that are probably in other books, but I didn't feel to lost. I might have to read some of her other books to clear some things up though.
Patt
A quick read which kept you on the edge of your seat. The FBI's psychic team is searching for a serial killer who kidnaps people and kills them after the ransom has been paid. When one of the police detectives is kidnapped and killed , and then one of their own team is kidnapped, things get really serious. This is first in a series and I will definitely look for #2.
Jenny
I really enjoyed reading this book. It kept me on my toes, and you were always wondering who was playing who and who the bad guy was. The only bad thing, was that there wasn't a good division between one storyline and the next. I'd flip the page and there would be a whole different convo going on. But overall, a great read! Can't wait to read the next one.
mim
I picked this up at my 96 year old Mom's house while visiting her these past 2 weeks. I took it to read on the plane home. I'd never read Kay Hooper before and I really enjoyed this book. I look forward to finding the rest of the series (at my library.)The story moved along quickly to keep my interest. The characters were nicely developed. I liked it.
Crystal
This was a good book. I didn't read the other books in the series... so it was a little hard to get the gist of who was who and figuring out past stories, but I did like it and I plan on reading the next book in the series. I was guessing until the very end of who did it! Very suspenseful and good story. I like the ending.
Gigi
One of the authors more complex story lines. I really liked the characters, the history between some of them adding to the depth of the story. Gruesome deaths, without the details, this is one of the sicker killers in Hooper's repertoire. Loved the tension, the resolution, the character transformations. One of her best.
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Firestorm
  • Now You See Her
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • Cold Blooded
  • Knock Out (FBI Thriller, #13)
  • Last Known Victim
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan...more
More about Kay Hooper...
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3) Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)