Start by marking “Dog Loves Books” as Want to Read:
Dog Loves Books

Dog Loves Books (Dog Loves)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,721 ratings  ·  212 reviews
A picture-book treat for the youngest dog lovers.

Dog loves books SO much he opens his very own bookstore. At first he’s short of customers. But that’s all right, because when Dog is surrounded by books, he is never short of friends—or fun. And when customers begin arriving, he knows just which books to recommend.

Louise Yates’s expressive little white dog—and his many expre
Published July 27th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Books

Beth Sniffs Books
I LOVED this book — especially since dog (who is not given a proper name) is a fellow book sniffer like myself Such a charming story about a dog who loves books and opens up his own bookstore. He can’t wait to make the just-right book recommendations to his customers. Meanwhile, dog enjoys reading plenty of books while he waits -- these scenes really convey the magic of reading and the "places" you can go. The illustrations are so cute and lovely — the dog’s face is so expressive! Be sure to no ...more
Sep 07, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
How could anyone not want to read this book after looking at the cover picture of a cartoon dog cheerfully carrying a stack of books? The story tells of the pleasures of reading. Dog likes books so much that he decides to open a bookstore. When no customers show up, he begins to take books from the shelf and read them - and get lost in them. When the customers do come, he knows just what books to recommend. The illustrations are imaginative and expressive. Softly colored, they convey the emotion ...more
Dog loves to read, so he opens his own bookstore. He doesn't have any customers, at first, but he bides the time by traveling on adventures through the pages of his beloved books. A great book for sharing with children the magic of books.
Dog loves everything about books. He loves their smell, their feel. In fact, he loved them enough to open a bookstore. He worked hard to prepare for the Grand Opening, but when he threw the door open no one was there. Some people do come in, but they aren’t interested in buying books. Dog was all alone with his books. So what’s a Dog to do? Read the books to pass the time! So he doesn’t even notice that he’s alone anymore, but when a real customer is ready to buy a book, he is more than ready.

Heather Torgersen
This is a wonderful beginning book for new readers. We follow a friendly dog who loves books so much, he decided to open his own bookstore. While waiting for customers (who actually want to buy books), he reads. And reads, and reads, and reads. Until that beautiful day that a young girl comes into the store, and with all of Dog's knowledge on books, know the perfect one to recommend. This short story shows kids what reading can do for them, and that it can take them to far away lands with aliens ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog loves books, but he hates waiting. When he open a bookstore, waiting for customers to visit isn't for him. Instead, he loses himself in the store's books. When Dog reads, he isn't alone. He has dinosaurs, kangaroos, and aliens for company. Finally, Dog's bookstore has a customer. He knows just the books to offer.

What I thought: I like dogs and books. A dog who enjoys books is a great idea for a book. Dog (as drawn) is an endearing character. He doesn't seem to be any particular breed, but a
Title: Dog Loves Books By Louise Yates
Summary: Dog only loves one thing more than books, sharing them.
Rating: Yes
Ages: 4-6 years
While not the most interesting story the book progresses logically and ends neatly.
The story celebrates books and where they can take you when you use your imagination.
The pastel illustrations are expressive and charming.
The illustrations are pale, which makes the book difficult to use for large story times.
Usage: One-on-one sharing or preschool story tim
Lisa Vegan
Dec 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of all ages who, as I do, love books and dogs
I am such a sap sometimes. This book probably had me at dog and books, but I did really like it.

The illustrations touched my heart. The dog’s many expressions and body language are wonderful, as are the customers at the bookstore and the many imaginative adventures within the books.

The premise of a dog opening a bookstore because he loves books so much (and even the unrealistic part of him giving himself a bath, well, yeah, I know it’s all unrealistic) and of the magic within book and of the peo
Sweet on Books
Dog loves books. He is so passionate about books, Dog decides to open a bookshop. He prepares carefully, fills his shelves lovingly, and nobody comes. Dog is sad. But then he realizes he is sitting amongst wonderful books and he will read them. While he is reading, he is transported, and he forgets he is waiting for customers. And low and behold, while he is busy reading and going on exciting adventures through books, his bookstore fills with customers.

Once his bookstore is full, Dog gets to do
April Thompson
This books sums up my love for books exactly!

Dog love books.

He loved the smell of them, and he loved the feel of them.

He loved everything about them.
Marissa Everett
Dog Loves Books is a fun picture book about a dog that, not surprisingly, loves books. The story begins with dog explaining what he loves about books. He then decides he loves books so much that he wants to open his own bookstore. When he opens his bookstore, the fun begins!

Dog Loves Books was an enjoyable read. The story itself was enjoyable and had a good message. It showed that books are a fun way to “visit” new places or go on “adventures”. It also illustrated at the very end that it’s fun
Jun 22, 2014 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pgce
This is the story of a dog that loves books. He loves everything about them, including the smell of them and the feel of them. One day he decides he loves books so much that he will open a bookstore.

The story follows dog as he excitedly prepares for the grand opening of his bookstore, the only problem is that no one turns up and dog finds himself alone. Fed up of waiting for customers he starts reading some of the books from his shelves and finds himself surrounded by dinosaurs and aliens and i
Judy Desetti
A wonderful read. Great for showing kids what reading does for you... keep you company, give you adventures, takes you places.

Illustrations are soft pastels and line drawings with plenty of expressive elements. I really loved the dog, he is brilliant.

Dog loves books so he opens a bookstore. When no one come he reads to himself until a customer comes in and then he has such a background in literature he can help anyone find the perfect book.
This is an adorable and sparse picture book on the love of a good book and getting willingly lost in so many good stories. Our intrepid book lover Dog decides to happily open a book store, but the problem is, there aren't any customers. So, to whittle away time, Dog delves into one great story after another, and before he knows it, his first customer comes in and he's ready to recommend many excellent titles.

Recommended for ages five and up.
Karen Arendt
What better way to promote reading than a story about dog who opens a bookstore, has no customers, then gets lost in the stories he is reading. The text is simple, perfect for kindergarten. The illustrations are pastel with vignettes for the pictures, sometimes 2 or three per page. An adorable introduction to why children should read.
I loved Dog because he loves books. And how incredibly cute that he'd open up his own bookshop because of his passion for reading!? I was quite smitten by this little guy and his story gave me a little bit of hope that one day, my Hannah (she’s a beagle) might love books, too.
This is my kind of picture book: simple, charming and timeless. Slightly British tone a la Bonnie Becker ("A Visitor for Bear") with soft, playful, dreamlike illustrations. Themes of book appreciation and story sharing from a dog point of view, what's not to love?
As a book lover and a bookseller, I enjoyed this book. I swear though, when I was reading it I thought there was a page missing. There is one very awkward transition in this little child's picture book. But, I can totally relate to it. Very unique.
Dog loves books so much, he opens his own bookstore, then learns how to recommend books. What I love is that he expresses loneliness that no one is coming to his shop and then chooses to conquer the loneliness by reading book after book. What a great way to teach children the value of reading and it's fringe benefits! Good readers are never alone and never bored. Each time he picks up a new book to read, he realizes he isn't alone as the characters come alive for him in his imagination. Each boo ...more
Dog Loves Books is about a dog who, well, loves books. Of course a good introduction to this book is to ask, "How many of you love books?" Dog loves books so much that he decides to open a bookstore. But he doesn't get many customers. So he starts to get bored. But then he realizes that he's surrounded by books, and you can't really ever be bored when you read books. He is in the middle of traveling to new worlds through books when he finally gets a customer! And because he's been reading so man ...more
dog opens a bookstore but without customers, he is disappointed. good thing books are close-by to take him away to a happier place. Fun reminder for children about how books can lift our mood and carry us away.
Sweet and simple. Explores the dual nature of books which can provide a personal escape, as well as the means for a relationship and connection. Even little readers can understand and appreciate this concept.
Loved this book! What a wonderful story to promote reading to children! A dog who loves to read and wants to share his enthusiasm for reading with others. And the illustrations are great too!
In this sparse, charming tale of the joy of sharing books, a little white book-loving dog decides to open a bookstore. There's just one problem: no customers!
Shannon Kitchen
Just so stinkin' cute! I love the illustrations and the message. I totally grabbed this one for our storyhour collection.
Aw, I love Dog. This book made me feel good about my own self. Don't miss the inside back cover dog reads.
I think this is a very sweet book and I will get all my fellow booksellers to read it too!
All about the way books take you to new worlds, and how much fun it is to share books with others.
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!

Dog Loves (4 books)
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Dog Loves Counting
  • Dog Loves Fairy Tales
Dog Loves Drawing Dog Loves Counting A Small Surprise Dog Loves Fairy Tales Frank and Teddy Make Friends. by Louise Yates

“When he read, he forgot that he was waiting.” 0 likes