Dog Loves Books

Dog Loves Books (Dog Loves)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,407 ratings  ·  185 reviews
A picture-book treat for the youngest dog lovers.

Dog loves books SO much he opens his very own bookstore. At first he’s short of customers. But that’s all right, because when Dog is surrounded by books, he is never short of friends—or fun. And when customers begin arriving, he knows just which books to recommend.

Louise Yates’s expressive little white dog—and his many expre...more
Published July 27th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Books

Candice
Sep 07, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
How could anyone not want to read this book after looking at the cover picture of a cartoon dog cheerfully carrying a stack of books? The story tells of the pleasures of reading. Dog likes books so much that he decides to open a bookstore. When no customers show up, he begins to take books from the shelf and read them - and get lost in them. When the customers do come, he knows just what books to recommend. The illustrations are imaginative and expressive. Softly colored, they convey the emotion...more
Tasha
Dog loves everything about books. He loves their smell, their feel. In fact, he loved them enough to open a bookstore. He worked hard to prepare for the Grand Opening, but when he threw the door open no one was there. Some people do come in, but they aren’t interested in buying books. Dog was all alone with his books. So what’s a Dog to do? Read the books to pass the time! So he doesn’t even notice that he’s alone anymore, but when a real customer is ready to buy a book, he is more than ready.

Ya...more
Heather Torgersen
This is a wonderful beginning book for new readers. We follow a friendly dog who loves books so much, he decided to open his own bookstore. While waiting for customers (who actually want to buy books), he reads. And reads, and reads, and reads. Until that beautiful day that a young girl comes into the store, and with all of Dog's knowledge on books, know the perfect one to recommend. This short story shows kids what reading can do for them, and that it can take them to far away lands with aliens...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog loves books, but he hates waiting. When he open a bookstore, waiting for customers to visit isn't for him. Instead, he loses himself in the store's books. When Dog reads, he isn't alone. He has dinosaurs, kangaroos, and aliens for company. Finally, Dog's bookstore has a customer. He knows just the books to offer.

What I thought: I like dogs and books. A dog who enjoys books is a great idea for a book. Dog (as drawn) is an endearing character. He doesn't seem to be any particular breed, but a...more
Anna
Title: Dog Loves Books By Louise Yates
Summary: Dog only loves one thing more than books, sharing them.
Rating: Yes
Ages: 4-6 years
Pros:
While not the most interesting story the book progresses logically and ends neatly.
The story celebrates books and where they can take you when you use your imagination.
The pastel illustrations are expressive and charming.
Cons:
The illustrations are pale, which makes the book difficult to use for large story times.
Usage: One-on-one sharing or preschool story tim...more
Donalyn
Dog loves to read, so he opens his own bookstore. He doesn't have any customers, at first, but he bides the time by traveling on adventures through the pages of his beloved books. A great book for sharing with children the magic of books.
Lisa Vegan
Dec 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of all ages who, as I do, love books and dogs
I am such a sap sometimes. This book probably had me at dog and books, but I did really like it.

The illustrations touched my heart. The dog’s many expressions and body language are wonderful, as are the customers at the bookstore and the many imaginative adventures within the books.

The premise of a dog opening a bookstore because he loves books so much (and even the unrealistic part of him giving himself a bath, well, yeah, I know it’s all unrealistic) and of the magic within book and of the peo...more
Sweet on Books
Dog loves books. He is so passionate about books, Dog decides to open a bookshop. He prepares carefully, fills his shelves lovingly, and nobody comes. Dog is sad. But then he realizes he is sitting amongst wonderful books and he will read them. While he is reading, he is transported, and he forgets he is waiting for customers. And low and behold, while he is busy reading and going on exciting adventures through books, his bookstore fills with customers.

Once his bookstore is full, Dog gets to do...more
April Thompson
This books sums up my love for books exactly!

Dog love books.

He loved the smell of them, and he loved the feel of them.

He loved everything about them.
Rachel
Jun 22, 2014 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pgce
This is the story of a dog that loves books. He loves everything about them, including the smell of them and the feel of them. One day he decides he loves books so much that he will open a bookstore.

The story follows dog as he excitedly prepares for the grand opening of his bookstore, the only problem is that no one turns up and dog finds himself alone. Fed up of waiting for customers he starts reading some of the books from his shelves and finds himself surrounded by dinosaurs and aliens and i...more
Judy Desetti
A wonderful read. Great for showing kids what reading does for you... keep you company, give you adventures, takes you places.

Illustrations are soft pastels and line drawings with plenty of expressive elements. I really loved the dog, he is brilliant.

Dog loves books so he opens a bookstore. When no one come he reads to himself until a customer comes in and then he has such a background in literature he can help anyone find the perfect book.
Tatiana
This is an adorable and sparse picture book on the love of a good book and getting willingly lost in so many good stories. Our intrepid book lover Dog decides to happily open a book store, but the problem is, there aren't any customers. So, to whittle away time, Dog delves into one great story after another, and before he knows it, his first customer comes in and he's ready to recommend many excellent titles.

Recommended for ages five and up.
Karen Arendt
What better way to promote reading than a story about dog who opens a bookstore, has no customers, then gets lost in the stories he is reading. The text is simple, perfect for kindergarten. The illustrations are pastel with vignettes for the pictures, sometimes 2 or three per page. An adorable introduction to why children should read.
Ana
I loved Dog because he loves books. And how incredibly cute that he'd open up his own bookshop because of his passion for reading!? I was quite smitten by this little guy and his story gave me a little bit of hope that one day, my Hannah (she’s a beagle) might love books, too.
This is my kind of picture book: simple, charming and timeless. Slightly British tone a la Bonnie Becker ("A Visitor for Bear") with soft, playful, dreamlike illustrations. Themes of book appreciation and story sharing from a dog point of view, what's not to love?
Christine
As a book lover and a bookseller, I enjoyed this book. I swear though, when I was reading it I thought there was a page missing. There is one very awkward transition in this little child's picture book. But, I can totally relate to it. Very unique.
Jessica
Dog Loves Books is about a dog who, well, loves books. Of course a good introduction to this book is to ask, "How many of you love books?" Dog loves books so much that he decides to open a bookstore. But he doesn't get many customers. So he starts to get bored. But then he realizes that he's surrounded by books, and you can't really ever be bored when you read books. He is in the middle of traveling to new worlds through books when he finally gets a customer! And because he's been reading so man...more
Tricia
dog opens a bookstore but without customers, he is disappointed. good thing books are close-by to take him away to a happier place. Fun reminder for children about how books can lift our mood and carry us away.
Alicia
Sweet and simple. Explores the dual nature of books which can provide a personal escape, as well as the means for a relationship and connection. Even little readers can understand and appreciate this concept.
Cheryl
Loved this book! What a wonderful story to promote reading to children! A dog who loves to read and wants to share his enthusiasm for reading with others. And the illustrations are great too!
Tracie
In this sparse, charming tale of the joy of sharing books, a little white book-loving dog decides to open a bookstore. There's just one problem: no customers!
Shannon Kitchen
Just so stinkin' cute! I love the illustrations and the message. I totally grabbed this one for our storyhour collection.
Robin
Aw, I love Dog. This book made me feel good about my own self. Don't miss the inside back cover dog reads.
Linda Cohen
I think this is a very sweet book and I will get all my fellow booksellers to read it too!
Jocelyn
All about the way books take you to new worlds, and how much fun it is to share books with others.
Caren
Cute story about loving and sharing books. Good read-aloud for younger grades.
wanderaven
Very cute. The story is more of a three; the cute depictions of dogs a four.
Ashley
Such a cute book!!! Would be a great read aloud.
Katherine Kim
Children will love the character of this dog who loves books! This book will encourage children to read more books and a variety of books. When Dog reads different books it takes him to another place full of imagination and wonder. When he is done reading different books, he shares his books and recommends it to others. Children will get the sense that reading is exciting and fun and the best part is that they can share books with others! I recommend this book to early elementary aged children a...more
Melanie
Dog loves books so much he opens up a bookstore so that he can share his love of books with others. It's a slow start; the first customer is a woman looking to buy a cup of tea. The next gentleman just needs directions. Good thing Dog is just as happy to pick up a book and read. He has many adventures reading. He has adventures with dinosaurs, kangaroos and aliens. Finally, a young girl comes in wanting a book. Dog knows exactly what to recommend and the two spend the afternoon adventuring toget...more
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Dogs
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Dancing Feet!
Dog Loves Drawing Dog Loves Counting A Small Surprise Frank and Teddy Make Friends. by Louise Yates Dog Loves Fairy Tales

“When he read, he forgot that he was waiting.” 0 likes