Start by marking “Dog Loves Books” as Want to Read:
Dog Loves Books

Dog Loves Books (Dog Loves)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,004 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
A picture-book treat for the youngest dog lovers.

Dog loves books SO much he opens his very own bookstore. At first he’s short of customers. But that’s all right, because when Dog is surrounded by books, he is never short of friends—or fun. And when customers begin arriving, he knows just which books to recommend.

Louise Yates’s expressive little white dog—and his many expre
Published July 27th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Books

I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
I LOVED this book — especially since dog (who is not given a proper name) is a fellow book sniffer like myself ♥ Such a charming story about a dog who loves books and opens up his own bookstore. He can’t wait to make the just-right book recommendations to his customers. Meanwhile, dog enjoys reading plenty of books while he waits -- these scenes really convey the magic of reading and the "places" you can go. The illustrations are so cute and lovely — the dog’s face is so expressive! Be sure to ...more
Candice
Sep 07, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
How could anyone not want to read this book after looking at the cover picture of a cartoon dog cheerfully carrying a stack of books? The story tells of the pleasures of reading. Dog likes books so much that he decides to open a bookstore. When no customers show up, he begins to take books from the shelf and read them - and get lost in them. When the customers do come, he knows just what books to recommend. The illustrations are imaginative and expressive. Softly colored, they convey the ...more
Donalyn
Dog loves to read, so he opens his own bookstore. He doesn't have any customers, at first, but he bides the time by traveling on adventures through the pages of his beloved books. A great book for sharing with children the magic of books.
Tasha
Sep 29, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Dog loves everything about books. He loves their smell, their feel. In fact, he loved them enough to open a bookstore. He worked hard to prepare for the Grand Opening, but when he threw the door open no one was there. Some people do come in, but they aren’t interested in buying books. Dog was all alone with his books. So what’s a Dog to do? Read the books to pass the time! So he doesn’t even notice that he’s alone anymore, but when a real customer is ready to buy a book, he is more than ready.

Ya
Heather Torgersen
This is a wonderful beginning book for new readers. We follow a friendly dog who loves books so much, he decided to open his own bookstore. While waiting for customers (who actually want to buy books), he reads. And reads, and reads, and reads. Until that beautiful day that a young girl comes into the store, and with all of Dog's knowledge on books, know the perfect one to recommend. This short story shows kids what reading can do for them, and that it can take them to far away lands with aliens ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog loves books, but he hates waiting. When he open a bookstore, waiting for customers to visit isn't for him. Instead, he loses himself in the store's books. When Dog reads, he isn't alone. He has dinosaurs, kangaroos, and aliens for company. Finally, Dog's bookstore has a customer. He knows just the books to offer.

What I thought: I like dogs and books. A dog who enjoys books is a great idea for a book. Dog (as drawn) is an endearing character. He doesn't seem to be any particular breed, but a
Anna
Nov 22, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
Title: Dog Loves Books By Louise Yates
Summary: Dog only loves one thing more than books, sharing them.
Rating: Yes
Ages: 4-6 years
Pros:
While not the most interesting story the book progresses logically and ends neatly.
The story celebrates books and where they can take you when you use your imagination.
The pastel illustrations are expressive and charming.
Cons:
The illustrations are pale, which makes the book difficult to use for large story times.
Usage: One-on-one sharing or preschool story tim
Kirsty Cabot
First read to Ivy at the library 08/06/16
Lisa Vegan
Dec 17, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of all ages who, as I do, love books and dogs
I am such a sap sometimes. This book probably had me at dog and books, but I did really like it.

The illustrations touched my heart. The dog’s many expressions and body language are wonderful, as are the customers at the bookstore and the many imaginative adventures within the books.

The premise of a dog opening a bookstore because he loves books so much (and even the unrealistic part of him giving himself a bath, well, yeah, I know it’s all unrealistic) and of the magic within book and of the peo
Sweet on Books
Sep 21, 2010 Sweet on Books rated it really liked it
Dog loves books. He is so passionate about books, Dog decides to open a bookshop. He prepares carefully, fills his shelves lovingly, and nobody comes. Dog is sad. But then he realizes he is sitting amongst wonderful books and he will read them. While he is reading, he is transported, and he forgets he is waiting for customers. And low and behold, while he is busy reading and going on exciting adventures through books, his bookstore fills with customers.

Once his bookstore is full, Dog gets to do
Judy Desetti
A wonderful read. Great for showing kids what reading does for you... keep you company, give you adventures, takes you places.

Illustrations are soft pastels and line drawings with plenty of expressive elements. I really loved the dog, he is brilliant.

Dog loves books so he opens a bookstore. When no one come he reads to himself until a customer comes in and then he has such a background in literature he can help anyone find the perfect book.
Tatiana
This is an adorable and sparse picture book on the love of a good book and getting willingly lost in so many good stories. Our intrepid book lover Dog decides to happily open a book store, but the problem is, there aren't any customers. So, to whittle away time, Dog delves into one great story after another, and before he knows it, his first customer comes in and he's ready to recommend many excellent titles.

Recommended for ages five and up.
Karen Arendt
Aug 26, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
What better way to promote reading than a story about dog who opens a bookstore, has no customers, then gets lost in the stories he is reading. The text is simple, perfect for kindergarten. The illustrations are pastel with vignettes for the pictures, sometimes 2 or three per page. An adorable introduction to why children should read.
Alicia
Jul 23, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet and simple. Explores the dual nature of books which can provide a personal escape, as well as the means for a relationship and connection. Even little readers can understand and appreciate this concept.
Tricia
Sep 21, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
dog opens a bookstore but without customers, he is disappointed. good thing books are close-by to take him away to a happier place. Fun reminder for children about how books can lift our mood and carry us away.
Oct 01, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is my kind of picture book: simple, charming and timeless. Slightly British tone a la Bonnie Becker ("A Visitor for Bear") with soft, playful, dreamlike illustrations. Themes of book appreciation and story sharing from a dog point of view, what's not to love?
Ana
Oct 09, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved Dog because he loves books. And how incredibly cute that he'd open up his own bookshop because of his passion for reading!? I was quite smitten by this little guy and his story gave me a little bit of hope that one day, my Hannah (she’s a beagle) might love books, too.
Christine
Jun 11, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
As a book lover and a bookseller, I enjoyed this book. I swear though, when I was reading it I thought there was a page missing. There is one very awkward transition in this little child's picture book. But, I can totally relate to it. Very unique.
April Thompson
Jun 23, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing
This books sums up my love for books exactly!

Dog love books.

He loved the smell of them, and he loved the feel of them.

He loved everything about them.
Tracie
Sep 20, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
In this sparse, charming tale of the joy of sharing books, a little white book-loving dog decides to open a bookstore. There's just one problem: no customers!
Cheryl
Apr 28, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved this book! What a wonderful story to promote reading to children! A dog who loves to read and wants to share his enthusiasm for reading with others. And the illustrations are great too!
Shannon Kitchen
Sep 27, 2010 Shannon Kitchen rated it it was amazing
Just so stinkin' cute! I love the illustrations and the message. I totally grabbed this one for our storyhour collection.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 18, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
A joyful celebration of books and reading.
Ashley
Oct 22, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book!!! Would be a great read aloud.
Jocelyn
All about the way books take you to new worlds, and how much fun it is to share books with others.
Caren
Oct 23, 2010 Caren rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about loving and sharing books. Good read-aloud for younger grades.
Linda
Jan 13, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
I think this is a very sweet book and I will get all my fellow booksellers to read it too!
wanderaven
Sep 09, 2010 wanderaven rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kids, dogs
Very cute. The story is more of a three; the cute depictions of dogs a four.
Julie Barrett
Nov 22, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dog loves books - Dog loves drawing - Dog loves counting - Dog loves fairy tales by Yates_ Louise
4 stories about a white puppy. Because he loves book so much he opens his own book store.
Next book is about the white puppy who gets a blank book-a book for drawing. His sketches comes to live.
Next is about counting sheep, and he finds numbers in everything he does...
Next his life is in a fairy tale...
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Flora's Very Windy Day