Start by marking “Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)” as Want to Read:
Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)

Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea (Regan Reilly Mystery)

3.39  ·  Rating Details ·  4,407 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
America's Queen of Suspense -- Mary Higgins Clark -- joins forces with her daughter Carol -- bestselling author of the Regan Reilly mysteries -- in this fast-paced novel set on a special holiday cruise that sets sail from Miami the day after Christmas.

Alvirah Meehan, the lottery winner turned amateur sleuth; her husband, Willy; recently hitched private detective Regan Re
Published (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Santa Cruise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Cruise

Samantha
Nov 13, 2008 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark is my 'go-to' author when I need a read to distract me, not necessarily to make me think. A friend has noted, she does not write good literature, but she spins a good yarn. This book is about a 'do-gooders' cruise given by a cruise ship owner trying to drum of business for his fledgling cruise ship. From the get-go things go wrong. His nephew (an 'officer' on the ship) is stowing away two dangerous fugitives, a member of the waitstaff jumps overboard to avoid being arrested, s ...more
Joy Gerbode
Dec 12, 2011 Joy Gerbode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good mystery, and the cruise was of interest since I'm hoping to plan a cruise in the new year. I enjoyed most of the story, and it was a light, easy read.

Wow ... I absolutely do NOT remember ever reading this book before! This time I thoroughly enjoyed the book, reading it practically in one sitting. Having been on the above mentioned cruise earlier this year, it was all fun for me, recognizing some of the things that that were mentioned, and understanding some of the workings
Adrienne
Feb 27, 2013 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister recommended Santa Cruise to me when I complained to her about having nothing else to read. She and my mom are avid fans of Mary Higgins Clark's written works so I tried this one out. Immediately, I was engrossed in the tale. The storyline was well-written; the setting fit the story; the characters in the book were all realistically portrayed and featured as intelligent and sophisticated (and especially nosy) no-nonsense people. Distinguishing the bad guys from the good guys was very ea ...more
Pumpernickel
Jul 25, 2009 Pumpernickel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
The story is interesting, but oh... Does it take not ONE but TWO writers to write THIS badly ? (-.-) ...

I'm having fun with it anyway, cuz it takes place during X-Mas & it's one of my X-Mas readings...

By the way : It's written by mother and daughter : Mary AND Carol Higgins Clark.

Good story but doubtful writing, with dialogues that you go "Sure...", and you simply decide to forget it cuz you wanna know how the mystery is gonna be solved...
Cyndi
Aug 04, 2015 Cyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge fan of Mary Higgins Clark. Doesn't seem to be a lot of research in her books. A woman shows up for a freebie cruise and gets two other couples on uninvited. I don't think so. The whole 'mystery' has too many improbable points to list.
Amanda H
As far as mystery books go, it had an interesting twist, especially since they were out at sea while this was all going on. Certain mystery books thrill you though, and make you want to re-read them to see what clues were written and you just skipped over. Unfortunately, that was not the case with "Santa Cruise". It is intersting the first time, but after you know what the solution to the mystery is, you don't really want to read it again. Therefore, if you would like a good mystery, I suggest g ...more
gina
Sep 10, 2011 gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, library
Santa Cruise was not the worst book I read this year, but it comes close. I picked it up at the library for a good trashy mystery read--and it certainly was trashy. Predictable plot, two-dimensional characters, and flat prose--all I have to say is, meh! I guess that whatever Mary Higgins Clark writes, gets published. Oh--and her lucky daughter gets published too. I wish I had that kind of carte blanche. The good thing about this book is that it was a quick read, so it didn't waste too much of my ...more
Kate Elizabeth
This f-ing book. Boring, a bit hard to follow, and good lord GET A COPY EDITOR. Multiple words, including names, are spelled inconsistently (examples: Crater/Carter, Reagan/Regan), and various details drift in and out of the book at will. In one particularly memorable example, a character is gagged at the mouth and unable to speak, until another character asks her a question; they chat, then a page later she's gagged again.

I picked this up wandering around the library before Christmas and thoug
An Odd1
Dec 29, 2013 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alvirah Meehan, arthritic ex-housecleaner lottery-winner sleuth, PI Regan Reilly, their husbands Willy and NYPD cop Jack, and Reilly parents, sail free on a silly Santa Cruise, refurbished bad-luck Royal Mermaid's 4-day Caribbean maiden voyage. Commodore Randolph Weed chose do-gooders for publicity, but for a fast million, his lazy nephew, Eric stows away two villains, crime boss Bull's-Eye Tony Pinto and swindler Highbridge intend to disembark on extradition-free Fishbowl Island. Eric steals th ...more
Brook
Sep 07, 2014 Brook rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the library because it was by Mary Higgins Clark (love her books) and I wanted a good mystery. I did not notice when I picked it up that her daughter, Carol, was a co-author.

The story was sort of lackluster and had characters that Carol had previously written about. They were okay characters, but certainly not the most captivating. Maybe I would have liked them more if I had read more of Carol's books.

However, I will not read any of Carol's books. The book was a letdown. I a
Amber Eats Books
Shellii Huff
May 27, 2016 Shellii Huff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Wonderful caper mystery!
First to admit it was a little difficult to follow at its start as this novel is told from each characters point of view. As the story unfolds, quickly your familiarity grows. This fun little caper mystery is a very easy read with its short chapters and intriguing plot twists. As the story comes to close a final "never seen that coming" plot twist left me completly stunned and satisfied.
I gave this book 5 stars for its fast paced story line, fun well balanced charcters,
Alexandra
Nov 14, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first dive into the world of the cozy mystery and I LOVED it! I am very much looking forward to reading more cozy mysteries and had a great time reading this one! The only thing I wasn't in love with is the fact that you already know exactly who the bad guy is so there wasn't much "mystery" to that but the story did give out small clues into how the story would end one by one in a way so that was fun. Will be reading more from the Clark ladies in the future!
Yzobelle
May 20, 2010 Yzobelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This particular book of Mary Higgins Clark is so unlike her. I didn't see the usual excitement and unique suspense that her other stories have. It became a bit too dragging since I am used to the clutch-on-your-seat-edge kind of suspense.
Jan
Lottery winner Alvirah Meehan and PI Regan Reilly are both on this holiday cruise, so of course there will be a mystery to solve. Lightweight fluff. Either I just wasn't in the mood, or it wasn't their best.
Sidney
Dec 29, 2016 Sidney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, fun and fast-paced holiday thriller reuniting lottery-winning amateur sleuth Alvirah Meehan, private eye Regan Reilly and their respective entourages. The sleuths almost take a back seat to the various nefarious deeds afoot on the Christmas Cruise of the title, but that's OK as various crimes play out including the flight from justice of a mobster and a Ponzi schemer and a planned on-board heist. Many threads intertwine on the way to the wacky finale.
Emily Moore
Feb 04, 2017 Emily Moore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really could not get into this book. I read only 35 pages in a week! Not good!
Sally Kinane
Nov 08, 2016 Sally Kinane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
One of her few books where I could easily keep track of who was who. Fun read!
Deborah
I read Mary Higgins Clark when I need an escape from life. Not great literature, but a fun mystery.
Rusty Wade
Mar 12, 2017 Rusty Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a good book to read in winter a quick read.
Ryne Barber
In this installment of the Higgins Clark family's annual Christmas novel, a cruise is booked which celebrates people who have done significant things for charities, all for free! Of course, this is the Santa Cruise, which sets out the day after Christmas on a trip to the Caribbean for three days. Alvirah Meehan, an amateur sleuth and lottery winner, and her husband, Willy, win tickets to the cruise and are invited to bring along two other couples. They extend their invitation to their friends th ...more
Denise Hoecker
Easy read
Kay
Not so great of a book even as a quick holiday read. If this was my first Mary Higgins Clark, I probably would not pick up another. I do like her under suspicion series.
Judy
Dec 16, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy when Mary Higgins Clark and Carol join forces to create a mystery. This book is no exception. Alvirah Meehan the lottery winner turned "amateur sleuth" has earned a free trip on the Royal Mermaid. She is allowed to bring along friends. So she and her husband Willy , invite Nora (famous mystery writer) and Luke Reilly, and Regan Reilly ( Private detective) and husband Jack.

The cruise dubbed the "Santa Cruise" is offered by Commodore Randolph Weed who has decided that his life belongs to
Shirley
Jan 02, 2017 Shirley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Gosh, I never know how to rate these Christmas stories. All of them typically have under-developed plots & characters and in that, this book does not disappoint -it is as expected. At least there is nothing offensive in it and it is a light read for the holidays.
Christina
Jan 02, 2017 Christina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, dnf
Was too slow DNF
Elanor Lessien
Premier livre du challenge et je commence directement avec un thriller. De quoi se mettre directement dans une ambiance Noël un peu mystérieuse.

Je n'ai pas choisi ce livre au hasard, comme vous pouvez le constatez en lisant le résumé, ce livre parle d'une croisière de Noël, du départ vers une aventure qui va durer 4 jours. Je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher de faire le lien avec le challenge. Le Cold Winter et pour moi un petit voyage vers une aventure remplie de surprises et ce livre représente exacteme
Mikka Gottstein
Dec 15, 2013 Mikka Gottstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pro:
Wie ich schon bei "Der Weihnachtsdieb" gesagt habe: diese süße kleine Kätzchen hat nicht die Bohne mit dem Inhalt des Romans zu tun, aber wer kann das so einem niedlichen Ding schon übelnehmen? Es stimmt dennoch gut auf diesen Roman ein, der zwar ein Krimi ist, aber durch und durch harmlos und lustig und weihnachtlich.

Wer einen "harten" Krimi mit Blut und Gewalt sucht, ist hier definitiv falsch, aber wer sich von einer originellen, schrulligen, witzigen, unterhaltsamen Geschichte mit unerwar
Danielle
Quick read. Funny at times but not very deep.
Sue
Apr 27, 2012 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • The Christmas Box
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Regan Reilly Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
  • Twanged (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #4)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)