Start by marking “The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles, #4)

The Last Hunt (Unicorn Chronicles #4)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,348 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Readers will be on the edge of their seats with this concluding episode of the riveting best-selling series by one of America's most gifted fantasy writers.

In the center if Luster stands an enormous tree called the Axis Mundi, the Heart of the World. But now that tree is wounded, pierced through by magic. And through that wound marches an army of Hunters, led by the sinist
Published June 1st 2010 by Scholastic Press (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hunt, please sign up.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleDark Whispers by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Unicorn Books
18th out of 255 books — 210 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLinger by Maggie StiefvaterSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm LIVING to read!!
385th out of 1,136 books — 6,298 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Oct 26, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Orion...think about it
Recommended to Mark by: the last three volumes
'Belle reflected on how odd it was that telling the tale of the Whisperer and the delvers had caused her to feel some sympathy for the delvers.what strange power did telling a story have, that it could open her heart like this?'

Need I say more really. Coville hits the nail perfectly on the head with this comment. The entering into a story, the walking in the footsteps of another through use of your imagination, can transform your sensitivities to another's plight.

This book is the fourth, the fi
May 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
How do you review a book you've been waiting all your life to finally read? I began the Unicorn Chronicles as a Second Grader, and finished them eighteen years later. So much changed with these last two books. A very strange but amazing thing happened as I dove into the final two installments. Cara remained basically the same age, lending an air of timelessness to this tale. It brought me back to my childhood, but the world of Luster expanded so much I felt like this series grew up with me. It i ...more
Quill
Mar 30, 2014 Quill rated it it was amazing
I was a little girl when I started reading this series, and I finished it as a young woman. It's been a journey of over a decade, but I still found this conclusion incredibly satisfying and just as rich as the first two books. My little unicorn-hearted self would have lapped this up. Thank you, Coville, for finishing this.
Richard Thomas
Apr 08, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying conclusion to Coville's Unicorn Chronicles. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it.

I read the first book in the series when I was in 6th grade. Shortly after, when I found the 2nd book I was ecstatic and read it nearly non-stop. Imagine my horror and surprise to find the rest of the series was not yet available!! Fast-forward more than a few years and I recently discovered that the final two books of the series were now available. I sat down in the space of about a w
Heather
Dec 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
I've been waiting 13 years for the final book in this series. I hope it lives up to my expectations. *Fingers are crossed*

***SPOILER ALERT!***

... Just finished. I realized about a quarter in that Bruce has really expanded this series. The first book was about 150 pages and had a single viewpoint. This final book is about 600 pages and has close to twenty viewpoints. Perhaps he meant to make this series an epic fantasy all along. But it was not what I was expecting style-wise.

Also, I've never rea
Kaitlin
Jun 25, 2013 Kaitlin rated it it was ok
When I first picked up "Into the Land of the Unicorns" (Book I of the Unicorn Chronicles) I was excited. I was young. Bruce Coville spoke to my generation, and seemed to put into words the kinds of adventures I'd always wished I could have, magical and supernatural and otherworldly. I tore through the first book in a day, found the second book almost immediately and ate it up in gulps as well.

Then, years passed between the second and third books. And when the third book ("Dark Secrets") finally
Becky
Jun 27, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it
Trinity
Jan 04, 2016 Trinity rated it it was amazing
Through very fortunate means, I am deeply thrilled to have finally received a copy of this book. No thanks to you, Scholastic. But in all seriousness, this book should not have been allowed out of print. It deserves so much more praise than I can possibly give it.

I was eight when I picked up the first book to this series. Now, thirteen years later, I am simply ecstatic at having finished The Unicorn Chronicles. It lived up to my expectations. No, it surpassed them. The Last Hunt is far better th
Jessi Jones
Dec 24, 2015 Jessi Jones rated it really liked it
It took the better part of two decades, but I've finally been able to finish this darn series.

What a great ending to the story. Everything was tied up so nicely and the final battle with Beloved was worth it. I specifically enjoyed the new things I learned about Luster and its creation. The great part is the length of the book; it's much longer than the books before it and every loose end gets addressed.

My only disappointments are in how long it took for the series to be completed and publishing
Janni
Jun 13, 2010 Janni added it
(Disclaimer: Bruce has edited not only some of my short stories, but also some of my unicorn short stories. So I'm not an unbiased reader here.)

If my inner 10-year-old has a strong thread of horse girl in her, she has an even stronger thread of unicorn girl. (The two are somewhat entwined, but not entirely.) And she and I have both been waiting for the conclusion of The Unicorn Chronicles for something like fifteen years now. We're not at all disappointed that we waited.

One of the many things I
Kaila
Apr 12, 2016 Kaila rated it it was ok
I uttered a sigh of relief upon starting what I knew would be the last novel in this series. I grew bored of it in book 2, although this book was much better than its predecessors, it still left me a bit flat.

Again with the terrible brown text on cream paper. The cover for this one is quite pretty, although I'm not sure where the dragon's left arm went. Looks like an action book and that's what we get.

A lot of the negative reviews in young adult novels nowadays is because of how sexist they are.
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
A remarkable final book. No plot line is left unresolved, and there is action and mystery galore. Beloved characters do die, and other are transformed in ways no one expected. The end result of the battle with Beloved was as expected, but in my bumble opinion, it was also a case of the author taking the easy way out. The Whisperer’s identity and purpose were quite a surpsise and made the book all the more interesting. A well crafted conclusion to a wonderful series.

-Miss Jessica

This title is av
Lela
Aug 05, 2015 Lela rated it really liked it
Well, well, well. I finally finished the series. I had very different feelings towards the beginning and middle of the book than I did at the end. In fact, I was quite certain for the first 2/3rds of the book at least that the highest rating it could get was a 3, but I was leaning towards 2. However, the oddness and eccentricities of this book that felt so different from the first two books, which I loved, have earned their place in the story. I think the main issue I had with the story was a re ...more
Crystal
Jun 17, 2014 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
I want to start this review by telling you a little story. When I was in elementary and middle school I absolutely loved book fairs even though I was teased by some of my fellow classmates for how many books I would buy. One of those books (I even still have the copy with the special stamp mark designating it a book fair purchase) was “Into the Land of the Unicorns” by Bruce Coville. I remember reading it over and over again though I didn’t have the rest of the series nor did I try to find them ...more
Jaina
Oct 12, 2015 Jaina rated it liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

Okay, wow. Just wow. When I started the Unicorn Chronicles, I had no idea what I was in for. It grows (literally almost doubles!) with every book, so that the first book was a cool 180 pages, and the fourth, final, book is a whopping 600. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. I mean, I can see this series being seriously awesome for kids who read the books as they came out: the books would grow in length at the same pace your readi
Alicia Terrill (ReadCover2Cover)
3.5 stars. I started this series when I was probably 8 or 10 and read the first book, Into the Land of the Unicorns, aloud with my dad. I had really good memories from reading the first book, but then had to wait forever to read the second book since it wasn't out yet. I slowly proceeded through the series and finally got to this one, which I thought I should finish since I'd started the series so long ago.

It was pretty good. Like the others in the series, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot
Claire
REVIEW WIP

This is, in my opinion, the strongest book in the series. Other readers appear to be complaining about some revelations near the end that were seemingly "pulled out of nowhere", but I actually thought that considering the massive gaps of time in between publication years for these books, and the strong possibility of Bruce Coville changing his original plans for The Unicorn Chronicles (people and their worldviews can do a whole lot of changing in ten years), these revelations were intr
Lisa
Dec 26, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
The Last Hunt, by Bruce Coville
(rounded down to 3)

Synopsis: In the center of Luster towers an enormous tree that is the Heart of the World. Now the tree is wounded, pierced by a tunnel that connects it to Earth. Through that tunnel strides Beloved, the ancient enemy of the unicorns, followed by an army of Hunters eager to destroy every last unicorn.
At the center of this great struggle is the human girl, Cara Diana Hunter, who sets out with her friend, the gryphon Medafil, to ask a dragon to a
Danielle
Sep 09, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
Krystle
Aug 19, 2010 Krystle rated it really liked it
Bruce Coville’s beloved series finally comes to an end in a long awaited for finale with The Last Hunt. After many years of waiting and waiting for the next installment to come out, we got everything we could want – action, answers, and a resolution that wraps everything up nicely.

I’m not sure if everyone’s read this series but I started out with the first book when I was in fifth grade, maybe earlier, and the wait for the next book was excruciating. You thought Harry Potter was bad? This one wa
Alex Murphy
Apparently Bruce Coville decided that his book needed some diversity and added an Indian boy and a Chinese girl. yay.... I also want to mention this is on top of a jarjar binks monkey thing talking like jarjar, and a griffin who uses cowboy swears like 'this rootie tonic dirt is making me mad' I honestly was pissed.

I have waited since 5th grade for this book to come out and finally got to reading it in my 7th year of college. To have it end like this is infuriating.

-each and every chapter had
Mara
Aug 26, 2014 Mara rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-buy, fantasy
It is a blessed good thing that the Author does a continuous review of previous events in The Last Hunt, otherwise I would have been completely lost, it's been so long since I read the last three. I've never known a four-book series to take so long in being completed, though I won't chide the Author. As a writer myself, I understand and sympathize how a seemingly simple little story can take forever to write, and the writer can do nothing about it.

The Unicorn Chronicles is an enjoyable fantasy/a
Izlinda
May 27, 2011 Izlinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It took about a year for me to get to this book. It was a birthday gift last summer, either from my eldest sister or another friend, I believe. I last read the third book the year it came out (2008), borrowed from the library so 3 years later I don't remember what happened in the 3rd book. I can remember the first two books clearly, though. I had to appreciate how Coville had the exposition laid out in this final book, even if they showed the technique of some characters explaining to other char ...more
Bookish♥Sarah

I read the first book (Into the Land of the Unicorns - a very short book. The last 3 are triple the length of the 1st) in this series when I was only in 5th grade. I am now 25 years old and finally the series has come to an end; and what an ending it was!

All four of the books in this series have brought me to tears. Bruce Coville built a magical, wonderful land called Luster. Not without its' dangers, of course, but so beautiful that you will wish you could go there yourself.

There is a wide cast
Christine
Jul 01, 2013 Christine rated it it was ok
I can't even begin to tell you how long I have waited for this book. The Unicorn Chronicles was my childhood favorite, and it broke my heart that it was set up for a sequel and yet none was out. I waited 10 years to finally finish my story. Well, this book and the one before it finally arrived in the mail, so here's my review.

My main issue with this book is all the years that went by between Book #2 and Book #3, because I blame that for the reason this story turned out the way it did. When this
Dandelionsteph
Nov 30, 2012 Dandelionsteph rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
Daniel
Dec 28, 2010 Daniel rated it really liked it
An epic fantasy concludes!

Like so many people, I waited far too long for the conclusion to this series.

I'd been reading the books aloud to my sons, who have been completely enthralled by these characters. yes, the books start with a fairly simple, outstanding book, but as Coville advances the story, he also advances the scope, depth, and breadth of characters as well.

I haven't read all the reviews here on Goodreads, but I see that some are not happy with the variety Coville offers. I think it'
Jan 06, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
The book cover touts: "...Bruce Coville brings this riveting epic fantasy to a rousing conclusion as the deepest secrets of Luster are finally and satisfyingly unveiled" unfortunately, I feel anything but satisfaction. 19 years after I first started this series (having no idea there wasn't already more than one published) I have finally finished book IV. It makes me very sad to say that I am disappointed in the conclusion. Many questions still remain. Now, I'm sure Mr Coville did this to leave o ...more
Caroline
Oct 06, 2012 Caroline rated it did not like it
I loved the first two books of this series as a child. I believe the first one came out when I was in 2nd grade and the second book when I was in 5th. But then the writer, Coville, took a long hiatus from the series, about 10 years. I must admit that I was one of those bright-eyed children who wrote Coville, asking him to finish the series. And he finally did. Dark Whispers did not impress, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In The Last Hunt, the series comes to an end, which is
Kristina Jo
May 30, 2013 Kristina Jo rated it really liked it
Of all the things that happened in this book, the one that gets to me is when "The Squijum leaped from Cara's shoulder and raced to the tree. He pressed himself to the bark where the trunk had sealed itself and clung to it, weeping as if his tiny heart would break." (p. 587) I'll admit it. I cried. I turned the page and kept reading, then mentally recalled the image of Squijum hugging the tree and crying, and I started crying again. Like a little girl. Squijum is definitely my favorite.

That isn'
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • True Heart (The Unicorn's Secret, #6)
  • The Unicorn Sonata
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • Gold Unicorn (Unicorn, #2)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)

Unicorn Chronicles (4 books)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark Whispers (Unicorn Chronicles, #3)

“Still, the painful death of that unicorn had been satisfying to watch” 3 likes
“But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a...a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one.” 1 likes