Start by marking “It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living” as Want to Read:
It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living

It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Surveys find that over 80 percent of Americans agree with the goals of the environmental movement. Sadly, most Americans admit to doing little more than basic recycling when it comes to acting on that disposition. What is the reason for this great divide between environmental sentiment in this country and individual actions? Author and environmental consultant Crissy Trask ...more
Published January 23rd 2006 by Gibbs Smith (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about It's Easy Being Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Easy Being Green

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy FosterThe Systems View of Life by Fritjof CapraThis Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
best sustainability
132nd out of 172 books — 218 voters
Pest Control for Organic Gardening by Amber RichardsBringing it to the Table by Wendell BerryAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverHow to Live Well Without Owning a Car by Chris BalishGaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard
Southern Gables Sustainable Books List
52nd out of 137 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

It's Easy Being Green makes the changes you should do actually simple. I've read a few books on going green and they were all about making you feel bad for the choices you've been making instead of just pointing you in the right direction and explaining some of the more complicated parts of going green. Crissy Trask points out the many ways you can make easy and simple changes in your every day life. Seeing as I live in an apartment where they do all the maintenance there isn't much I can do wit ...more
I had a hard time trying to decide what to rate this book. While it had a lot of good tips and ideas, it also had a lot of outdated ideas, ideas that just plain disturbed me, and so many links to websites and really it seemed you could learn much more just by using your computer and never touching this book.

This book claims that it is a handbook for Earth-Friendly Living and it breaks itself into different parts to complete that mission. First it exposes those Green Living Myths and says what th
Jul 27, 2007 jko rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who believe what they want to believe rather than what experience might suggest they believe
Shelves: green-health, how-to
if 4 stars didn't mean really liked it, i'd go with that, but it partially, really turned me off, so i just can't. however, it is a super user-friendly guide to being greener. also, there's a good companion website:

i'd like to give this book two separate ratings - 5 stars for the comprehensive, yet concise and well organized content. and, the book's physical form is nice. it has a place in my go-to drawer in the kitchen.

but, i'd give it 1 star for being preachy, presumptuou
This slim volume is the Cliff Notes every lazy environmentalist (or wanna-be envirnmentalist) needs to start taking better care of the planet, without breaking a sweat. So many people want to do things to improve the environment, but knowing where to start and what to focus on is such a daunting task that it's easier just to fall into old patterns. With short chapters and checklists to help you track your progress, this book allows you to change your habits NOW, without feeling guilty or overwhe ...more
Oct 08, 2007 Joslyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ideas for simple things they can do to live a greener life
This book is really helpful. Unlike a lot of the 'get green' books I looked into, this one was not a list of products to buy or things that will cost you money. One of my main beefs with the enviromentalist movement is that it has turned into another excuse to buy new stuff, when in reality thats the heart of the problem. Being greener is about consuming less and although this book does give some suggestion of better alternatives to products or simple inexpensive things to reduce your energy or ...more
Nari (The Novel World)
Very similar in feel to Michael Pollan's Food Rules.

Includes a detailed checklist of activities and habits to alter to live a more green lifestyle. Much of it actually applied to my situation (late 20's in an urban city, working 30+ hours a week). Most books in this topic seem to be written for stay-at-home adults, or people with huge acres of land to do a lot of homesteading. This book actually provides useful tips for those of us who don't own a home, and don't have all the free time in the w
Written for the American market this is very different from the other 'green' books I've read. I liked the style of the book with the recycled pages but I wasn't a fan of the changing between dual columns during each chapter and the standard single column at the beginning of each. It made it a bit more 'difficult' to read. I liked the checklist section where you can pick which actions you going to take and then mark each one as you work through and rate yourself once you have incorporated each p ...more
Carol Maskus
The author is well-spoken, and there's a lot of tips I haven't thought of yet. One reviewer said that it's outdated (it's from 2006), and while a lot has changed, this book can point you in the right direction. And the cartoons are great.
I found "It's Easy Being Green" to be horribly slapped together, with nothing new to offer anyone who's been around since "green" became popular. At least they recycled ideas? I don't know, maybe a total noob to the green scene would find something to learn in here, which I guess would redeem it a little bit.

There are typos throughout this book, never a good sign; they make me cranky even when I'm reading a GOOD book. In this book, they reinforced the feeling that someone threw together a bunch
This book has a lot of lists and things to do, but the format makes it less interesting. However, it does have some very good comic and quotes to capture your attention. I feel like I can get most of this information online, so it is not very helpful for me.

Favorite Quote: "People can turn things around by making small, incremental efforts to green their lives today - and then keep going. You can accomplish meaningful preservation and conservation every day by learning how daily chores and deci
Wendy Smart
Lovely to have as a goal...difficult to maintain.
Nov 02, 2008 Christina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christina by: Marjorie Simonsen
Includes an extensive checklist of to-do items to help you live more earth-friendly. There are also a few chapters that just list helpful web sites with information or products.

It's really more of a workbook than a book you read from cover to cover, but she shares some great ideas in a practical way. I like that she helps you start small and make little changes at a time. She doesn't make you feel guilty for not jumping right in and changing everything at once. Most of the ideas are relatively e
The tips in this book are pretty much the same as elswhere, but it includes a list of sources to help you get started. So, while the suggestions are the same, this book takes it a step further and points you in the direction you need to get started. While other books may list a website or phone number, this book goes above and beyond listing multiple sources in each topic (including clothing, furniture, energy, and transportation). Easy to follow and a good read! A great place to start.
The tips are good, but the book's organization is pretty sloppy. The formatting (multiple columns in a normal-sized book, numerous "sidebar" conversations) made it hard for me to find the main thread. When I was done with it, I felt as though I'd read a dozen different magazines about green living; lots of information, not a lot of coherency or prioritization.

But that said, I was able to use several of the tips and it's a good resource.
Jodie St. Clair
Feb 16, 2008 Jodie St. Clair rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: earth friendly, environmentalist,
Shelves: green-living
This book is a great intro to green living. It goes over several of the things we have all heard before, but also goes a step further into living an environmentally friendly life. I especially liked the chapter with the checklists and the chapter with resources. I originally got this to help with planning our wedding, and I think there are several things we will be able to use as we are putting together our wedding plans.
This is a really quick and easy read with lots of good ideas for ways to green your household and your life. My main complaint is the way it was organized--the meat of the book is one long section composed of lots and lots of tips. So it's easy to digest, but not easy to pinpoint something specific. But there's a good section with resources and websites in the back. All in all, I'd recommend it.
More than anything, this is a good reference book with a wide variety of ideas about how to live in a more earth-friendly way. The book is well organized, with tons of websites to help the reader find out more about everything from activism to buying more sustainable products. A bit preachy at times, especially as most readers are already wanting to do more, the book is nevertheless useful.
Louise Banta
I love the information and tops this book has about the saving the environment and being a responsible citizen through wise consuming.

I only gave it four stars because, though it was informative, most of the other details are based in US and it would have been a better book if it was generally for everyone.
Iris Robinson
Pretty awesome book. Very informative, and I really like the checklist. Nice resources in the back, and I will definitely investigate them once they become more pertinent to me. It includes a lot of simple ways lessen your ecological footprint, and there are also several complex ways to practice later on.
I bought this at the Seattle Green Festival, I had been eyeing it for a while. A great book for of ideas of ways to live a life with less impact, complete with a rating system to say keep track of what you need to work on, currently working on and a wonderful resource guide full of tips and websites.
This is a good companion to "The Green Book," which told you a lot of what not to do, whereas this one tells you more what TO do and where TO shop and what different labels mean and everything. A great resource. And, it didn't condemn be for my fake "holiday tree," so that's a plus!
I thought this book was a great starter book for anyone who has an interest in learning to be green. It may not have ways to start building a home off grid or things like that, but it does give the basics for anyone who recently decided that they would like to green up.
Nothing new to offer. Also wouldn't it be more "Green" to have just sent this out as an email checklist? At least I picked this up at the free books section of the library and I'm forwarding it on paperbackswap in the hopes that next person gets some use out of it.
Jan 16, 2008 Cody rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
this book has a section devoted to energy conserving ideas, i was very pleased to see all that was suggested many perfectly reasonable and it gets you thinking... ill have this book around for a while just to look back on and see what else i can do to change things!
Packed full of nice tips.I really like the fact that this book was printed on recycled paper. Try to find it at your library instead of buying it because it doesn't have any new information unless (like me!) you know nothing about livin' the green life.
Good tips, just too many! Also, the tips are not weighted, so you may think that refusing that extra plastic bag makes just as much of an impact as getting rid of your car. Still worth a peek for anyone interested in going green.
Great stuff to implement now that we're moving from an apartment to a house. We've been recyclers for years and we're always coming up with ways to reuse and reduce. A great gift from my m-in-law. Down with plastic grocery sacks!
I really like checklists so this book had a lot of appeal for me. I was keeping up with the environmentally-friendly tasks for a while but I've completely gone back to my resource-wasting ways. Don't judge me.
Apr 20, 2008 Caroline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ideas on how to live a more enviornmentally friendly lifestyle
I felt that this was a very helpful book in terms of ideas and resources for being a more enviornmentally responsible and not consumer-oriented individual.
  • Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The Better World Shopping Guide: Every Dollar Makes a Difference
  • Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • Gorgeously Green
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from The Union of Concerned Scientists
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living