Start by marking “The Lives Of Dax (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)” as Want to Read:
The Lives Of Dax (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

The Lives Of Dax (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  609 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
THREE HUNDRED FIFTY-SEVEN YEARS.
NINE LIVES.
ONE SOUL.

Mother, father, engineer, ambassador, scientist, statesman, serial killer, Starfleet officer: At one time or another, Dax has been all of these things and more. The near-immortal part of a composite species known as the Trill, Dax is a sentient, wormlike symbiont joined body and mind to a succession of humanoid hosts,
Published (first published 1999)

Natalia
Mar 15, 2013 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one because, frankly, I consider DS9 to be the best series, and because Jadzia was my favourite female character. While I agree that including famous Trek characters here and there seemed a little forced (especially if they play out cliches rather than add anything interesting to the plot), overall, I think it's worth it, especially if you want to read into the history and customs of Trill (since DS9 offered only some glimpses of that world). To paraphrase The Smiths, some stories ar ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 18, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Shore Leave Goodie Bag?
I really, really liked this--more than I thought I would. Technically, this isn't a novel, but a short story anthology, but it reads more like a novel given its structure and subject--Dax, the Trill symbiont in its various nine lives. As the editor said in the Introduction, "Dax is a living anthology--a collection of stories. The book would be too." And it works--beautifully. Each of the hosts, Lela, Tobin, Emony, Audrid, Torias, Joran, Curzon, Jadzia gets their own story by different authors--w ...more
Dianah
Jul 28, 2010 Dianah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, 100-books
An anthology of stories each featuring a different Dax host sounds like a good idea. Then I read the list of authors. Some of them I like, but I know from experience that some are notable for their lack of insight, ingenuity, and story telling skills. Luckily, it's easier to overlook these flaws in short story form than in novels.

The book starts of promisingly enough with Ezri and Vic Fontaine. The device of the anthology is Ezri is explaining Dax's lives to Vic. The Vic/Ezri bits are good, but
Snuffles
Aug 01, 2008 Snuffles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book for ages, because Jadzia was one of my favourite characters on DS9 and I was always fascinated by the concept of the joined Trill.

The book is a collection of short stories - each an episode out of the nine lives that the Dax symbiont spent joined with its hosts. The stories are all written by different authors and thus also differ in the narrative style, the details, the focus of the stories, the POV etc.

While I loved some them of them, I wasn't quite satisfied with
Nicole
Nov 24, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that I keep coming back to. Ezri as we knew her before the relaunch series, Jadzia at her best dealing with an emotional adventure, Emonys story finally told (and dont tell me that you werent curious!), Audrid (my favourite of the hosts... write some more books about her !!!) finally explored in detail, and Lelas struggles as the first host of the symbiont...

This is definitely an amazing collection of stories... All of them, not just those about my favourite Dax hosts.

This book
Amanda
Jadzia Dax was always my all time favourite character in Star Trek until I rewatched the entirety of DS9 again. She's now my second favourite (not far behind, to be fair), behind Kira Nerys. I love DS9, I have been obsessed with that show since I was a child, and I will devour anything to do with it. In Goodwill I found this collection and snatched it up.

I really found this to be a great anthology. If we ignore the fanservice by including important Starfleet characters that JUST HAD to interact
Daniel
Jan 10, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This continues the story of DS9 following the series finale. Think of it as an anthology of the all of Dax's previous lives. Each "life" of Dax has their own personally defining story told within the context of Ezri conversing with Vic in a holosuite. Each of the stories is written by a different author and could all be an excerpt of a larger narrative. It would be nice to have an additional book or series that further dives into the lives of Dax, this book truly adds more shades onto an already ...more
Peter Heisler
The premise of this book is really clever, and it's actually a fairly well executed project; the stories work well together and are (literally) bookended by a contribution that does a good job of unifying them and drawing out an overarching moral. Still, it comes up short because it never successfully engages with Dax the symbiont. Instead of having continuity of personality, Dax seems to be more of a repository of memories that can be selectively opened and shut by its hosts, who are all so dif ...more
Heather Domin
I was really excited about this one -- the intro was very Ezri, and I enjoyed the first three stories (Lela, Tobin, and Emony), but the later stories didn't hold my attention as much, I have to admit. And yes, I absolutely did picture the various DS9 cast members in my head for each host. I regret nothing :D
Pippa Kirkham
Mar 07, 2014 Pippa Kirkham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books because it covers such a span of time, nine lifetimes in relatively short stories and yet you get a good picture of each host. I had always wondered about the trill and how confusing it would be and to have more and more experience and yet be brand new to something. The effect of having not really there backseat drivers through the chapters is genius and adds to that feeling. I love the tie ins to the rest of the franchise with McCoy and I think it is fitting to ...more
Crystal Bensley
Feb 07, 2016 Crystal Bensley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of Dax stories across the host's lives.
Andrew
This book contains a story about each of Dax's nine hosts. (If that doesn't make sense to you, stop now and watch some Deep Space Nine.) Some of the entries are good, and others are forgettable.

One of the better entries is the letter from Audrid Dax to her estranged daughter, explaining why she lied about her husband's death. This shows a deeper side of Dax and provides a backstory for the events in the DS9 Mission Gamma novels. The entry on Joran was also interesting because it talks about the
Christopher Cook
Mar 01, 2013 Christopher Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LIVES OF DAX is a really great read for the STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE fan, especially for the fan of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE who is, in particular, a fan of the Dax character. The television series does not tell us much about the past hosts of Dax, which is not to say, of course, that it tells us nothing, for episodes such as "Facets" (3.25) and "Rejoined" (4.06) (just to mention a couple of examples) provide some information, but there is no other resource regarding Dax like this book. ...more
Robert
Aug 26, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology is perfect for this concept—a framing story for Ezri, unfortunately with Vic, and a story from the life of each host of Dax. Different authors for each story means different feelings for each story, just the perfect way to do an anthology like this. Not a biography of the Dax symbiont and not a biography of each host. But a flavorful event from each life. That way there can be additional stories, should Star Trek or other authors so desire.

I was able to devour large hunks of the boo
James Williams
If 90% of everything is crap*, licensed sci-fi novels are the exception that push that law close to 95%. There are a lot of poorly written cookie-cutter novels on whose covers publishers slap a couple logos and sell it to folks like me who'll buy things because they're fans. Indeed, I've largely moved past the licensed books that so completely dominated my youth because the quality tended so far towards the crappier end of the curve.

But, my spouse and I had recently finished watching the full s
Jose
Feb 03, 2011 Jose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benjamin Embry
Feb 10, 2016 Benjamin Embry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep Space Nine is by far my favorite Star Trek series. I started reading the continuation last year. I am about to start the Destiny trilogy. Since I hadn't read this, I wanted to before starting Destiny. I wanted to revisit Dax's former hosts before he arch in Destiny.
I was not disappointed. Great stories! Great insight. It was a treat to see Dax in different scenarios. The guest stars were a plus!
James
Jun 11, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend 'The lives of Dax', that was the previous book I read before 'Stitch in time'. I only thought one of the stories was very weak, with my favourite being a toss up between the one you mentioned and the one where I was just waiting to get to, Joran Dax - the serial killing pianist (and oh yes, did the story pay off ... and then it does again ). Great stuff.
Christian
Apr 30, 2008 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DS9 Fan but wider audience as well
Shelves: star-trek
Quite enjoyed the different Daxes and their individual perspectives. Very interesting to have one lifetime consisting of many lifetimes. One of my favourite Trek character and well portrayed in this short stories novel that fit her presumably disjointed, yet surprinsingly coherent and wise personality.

Here is my breakdown by story:

Second star to the right and straight on ‘till morning
(Judith Reeves-Stevens & Garfield Reeves-Stevens) 8/10
First Steps (Kristine Kathryn Rusch) 7/10
Dead Man’s Ha
Rachel
Apr 18, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DS9 fans
Deep Space 9 was on television during my most impressionable years (13 - 18ish). I read a lot of the early DS9 novels (own the first six - ouch). The Lives of Dax is a collection of short stories chronicles the lives of a sentient worm that lived inside one of my favorite characters.

The writing is in the Trek style I prefer - not the one that reads like a Word-of-the-Day calendar. Very simple, not much polish, but very active and engaging. ...okay, like television. I admit it.

Each story is diffe
Michał
May 21, 2012 Michał rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great insight into Dax's existence. Not a biography, but a selection of important moments from each of the hosts lives. Thanks to this book it was easier to understand Jadzia's and Ezri's behaviour. One life is sometimes too much for an individual. But each next host had to deal with a rising number of lives, which must be extremely difficult. Especially, if you have a person like Joran Dax as one of your previous hosts. It was also a good study of the Trill society and its evolution from a cl ...more
rivka

I really enjoyed all the connections to other Star Trek characters -- except the ceti eels. Really could have lived without them! And some of the chronology didn't quite line up.
Iain Parkes
Dec 18, 2015 Iain Parkes marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
RumBelle
Feb 06, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Eight lives makes for very interesting reading. Each of Dax's incarnations get's it's own story. Each life was so different, varied. From scientists, to diplomats, to counselors, to explorers, every Dax was incredibly intriguing and unique. The stories range from scary to loving to poignant.
Heather Hile
Feb 16, 2016 Heather Hile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I always liked Jadzia and Ezri too. This book was a great look at the previous hosts only hinted at in the episodes. An very enjoyable book.
Daniel Devereux
Apr 21, 2016 Daniel Devereux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want so much more. Can we please have a Dax series?
Angela
May 23, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ezri Dax is coming to terms with being a joined trill, a year after it happened. She tells stories of previous hosts to explain what it is like. The short story format really works, and each one has something going for it. They are written by different authors and this helps with the different characters of the hosts. One of the better Star Trek books I've read. A very good read.
Heather
Aug 24, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is a must-read for every Dax fan. It contains a story written by each of the Dax hosts, with a prologue and epilogue from Ezri's point-of-view. I really enjoyed this anthology.

Oh, and if you read any of the DS9 relaunch books---especially the end of MISSION GAMMA, and UNITY --- you'll want the background from the Audrid Dax story in this book. Just FYI
Audrey
I've been watching DS9 from the beginning on startrek.com and decided to revisit this book. The last time I read it I must have been 16 years old. The Trill are my favorite Star Trek species, after Vulcans. Lela, Tobin, and Emony's stories were the best out of the bunch. The rest... middling. Curzon and Jadzia's stories were the worst, which is unfortunate.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 29, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A mixed bag, but a long-overdue attempt to give a bit of literary background to each of Dax's previous lives. The worst stories suffer from being more dull than terrible...but the best stories in the collection are VERY good, and especially poignant.
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Tales of the Dominion War (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Emissary
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter
  • Proud Helios
  • Valhalla

“I think one of the reasons I liked him so much was that he had more faults than the usual, socially acceptable Trill.” —Benjamin Sisko “Dax” 0 likes
“What is a person if not the sum of her memories?” —Lela Dax” 0 likes