Start by marking “Augustine as Mentor: A Model for Preparing Spiritual Leaders” as Want to Read:
Augustine as Mentor: A Model for Preparing Spiritual Leaders

Augustine as Mentor: A Model for Preparing Spiritual Leaders

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Lauded for his thoughts, Augustine of Hippo (354-430) has influenced virtually every philosopher of the last fifteen hundred years. But his personal character and ministry are even more remarkable, for in a time when most monastery dwellers sought solitude, Augustine was always in the company of friends, visiting disciples and writing mentoring letters to those he knew.

Aug
Published January 1st 2009 by B&H Academic

Nathan Schneider
Feb 16, 2015 Nathan Schneider rated it really liked it
Shelves: mentoring
Encouraging read for leaders. The lessons in mentoring were good, but there was not a lot of evidence of Augustine's mentoring outside of his own writings.
Ruth
Feb 27, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it
I decided back when I took a class from Ed Smither in 2011 that I would eventually read one of his books because I liked his sense of humor and the way his brain worked.

I appreciate the clarity of his writing and found the practical application in the epilogue really useful, but due to my having little prior background in (as well as little particular interest in) 3rd-4th century church practice, I found a few of the sections a bit dry. The dry sections were worth pushing through, though, becaus
Matt Crawford
Apr 11, 2015 Matt Crawford rated it liked it
Overall it's a good book I will definitely use it in future research however the first half of the book is not about Augustine as a mentor but rather who mentored him, and the examples set forth years before him (definition of a mentor)
Dax Palmer
Apr 26, 2015 Dax Palmer rated it liked it
The content was good. A few nuggets in there. Overall it was pretty good, but the author began to be repetitive during the last couple chapters. Recommend for anyone to get a basic intro to Augustine.
Andrew Choy
Apr 10, 2015 Andrew Choy rated it it was ok
A lot of detailed historical stuff which is good if you want to dig deep. However, the read is a bit too dry.
Christopher
I found it to be a bit boring to say the least. You read about half the book before you even get to Augustine but when you do it is fairly interesting to read about how he made it to become the Bishop of Hippo.
Kristen Davis
Oct 19, 2013 Kristen Davis rated it it was amazing
Very insightful in regard to mentorship in the early church. Definitely worth reading as many points are quite applicable today!
Brett Z. Chancery
Brett Z. Chancery rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Hector Franco
Hector Franco marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Kurt
Kurt is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Matthew Fretwell
Matthew Fretwell rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Hady Tan
Hady Tan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Debo
Debo marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Shawn Anderson
Shawn Anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Charles J.
Charles J. marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
E
E marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Piper Green
Piper Green rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Justin Bachtell
Justin Bachtell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
John English
John English marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Sam Gallagher
Sam Gallagher is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Judah
Judah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Floyd
Floyd is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015